Dopamine


 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Drewlecoix said:

Made this account just to ask, so sorry if that's frowned upon in this forum, but I might stick around because the community seems cool 😀

Sorry that no-one has responded to your questions yet, but welcome! And no worries about the length of the post. If anything we prefer that people provide as much detail as possible.

 

I'm not sure that I understand why anyone would use VLC as a music player, but that's another matter. If I go to my start menu and type "dop..." it brings up Dopamine straight away as an application. Have you tried doing a reinstallation?

 

While I'm here, I've got a question for everyone: has anyone installed Dopamine in Linux Mint? I've realised that I am sorely missing this program as my default music player on my main machine, and I'm thinking that I may be able to get it to work through Wine. Just wondering if anyone has already tried it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Drewlecoix said:

Made this account just to ask, so sorry if that's frowned upon in this forum, but I might stick around because the community seems cool 😀

 

Hi! I'm so sorry for not anwsering this question any sooner. I was on vacation and missed your question.

Which edition (Portable or Installable) edition of Dopamine are you using? Please note that the portable edition doesn't add the registry keys to your system which are required to make file associations work. You can also associate dopamine with audio file by right-clicking on a file, choosing "open with", then choose Dopamine and check the box to always use it to open that type of file.

 

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

While I'm here, I've got a question for everyone: has anyone installed Dopamine in Linux Mint? I've realised that I am sorely missing this program as my default music player on my main machine, and I'm thinking that I may be able to get it to work through Wine. Just wondering if anyone has already tried it?

I've never tried to install Dopamine through Wine. But, as I'm using Ubuntu on my home machine, I'm interested to try this out. I'll post my findings here as soon as I've tried it out :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I've never tried to install Dopamine through Wine. But, as I'm using Ubuntu on my home machine, I'm interested to try this out. I'll post my findings here as soon as I've tried it out :)

I'll try this evening as well and report back. Here's hoping!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I'll try this evening as well and report back. Here's hoping!

I gave it a go and failed :( I was able to get Dopamine to start up, but the window was completely black. It seemed to react to mouse clicks, as I was able to switch between full player and mini player (the black window changed size) by clicking with the mouse in a location that is approximately the location of the player switch button. I suspect that the black window is caused by the fact that Dopamine is a WPF application, and that requires DirectX. Then, I tried a simple WPF app (a new project which just displays a empty window) and that was also black. No luck...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I gave it a go and failed :( I was able to get Dopamine to start up, but the window was completely black. It seemed to react to mouse clicks, as I was able to switch between full player and mini player (the black window changed size) by clicking with the mouse in a location that is approximately the location of the player switch button. I suspect that the black window is caused by the fact that Dopamine is a WPF application, and that requires DirectX. Then, I tried a simple WPF app (a new project which just displays a empty window) and that was also black. No luck...

Damn. :(

I don't mean to digress from the purpose of the thread, but I'm interested: Since you've created this fantastic application, what do you use on Ubuntu as a music player? I've got Rhythmbox installed by default but it doesn't wow me like your player does. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

Damn. :(

I don't mean to digress from the purpose of the thread, but I'm interested: Since you've created this fantastic application, what do you use on Ubuntu as a music player? I've got Rhythmbox installed by default but it doesn't wow me like your player does. ;)

Rhythmbox here too. I haven't found any player that satisfies me on Linux, so I'm just using the Ubuntu default.

 

I've started development of Dopamine 3.0 (in parallel with version 2.0) which will be cross-platform. It is still in very early stages and more of a proof of concept at this point.

I worry a bit about the technology i chose to build it. It's built around Electron, and I know that a lot of people are not a fan. However, I've gone over all possibilities for creating cross-platform UI based applications, and nothing comes close to Electron. Also, web technologies are so popular that there is a massive amount of libraries available to do all kinds of very neat stuff. I ported another of my applications to Electron as a proof of concept for Dopamine, and I'm very satisfied of the performance and look and feel.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Raphaël G. said:

Rhythmbox here too. I haven't found any player that satisfies me on Linux, so I'm just using the Ubuntu default.

 

I've started development of Dopamine 3.0 (in parallel with version 2.0) which will be cross-platform. It is still in very early stages and more of a proof of concept at this point.

I worry a bit about the technology i chose to build it. It's built around Electron, and I know that a lot of people are not a fan. However, I've gone over all possibilities for creating cross-platform UI based applications, and nothing comes close to Electron. Also, web technologies are so popular that there is a massive amount of libraries available to do all kinds of very neat stuff. I ported another of my applications to Electron as a proof of concept for Dopamine, and I'm very satisfied of the performance and look and feel.

You continue to impress me, my friend! That's incredible. Feel free to reach out to me if you want an Alpha/Beta tester for that! I'll jump over to it ASAP, I can't wait! (Y)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah I've seen a lot of gripes about how Electron has every version of a library embeded in it but that's not something the end user notices and honestly Electron seems like the best implementation for a truly cross-platform app at this time :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

You continue to impress me, my friend! That's incredible. Feel free to reach out to me if you want an Alpha/Beta tester for that! I'll jump over to it ASAP, I can't wait! (Y)

Thanks! :) I'll make sure to let you know when I have a usable version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

yeah I've seen a lot of gripes about how Electron has every version of a library embeded in it but that's not something the end user notices and honestly Electron seems like the best implementation for a truly cross-platform app at this time :)

Indeed, there is quite some stuff going on under the hood. But the development process, packaging and overall result is very well streamlined. I haven't found a better alternative at this point :). For my other app, I was surprised how little work I had to make it work on Linux and Windows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 12 has been released. This is the change log:

 

– [Changed] Updated the German translation
– [Changed] Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation
– [Fixed] Queued songs which are not in the collection (e.g. from playlists), are not resumed after a restart.
– [Fixed] Playlists containing the same song multiple times, confuses play previous and play next.
– [Fixed] Incorrect ordering of timed lyrics which contain duplicate timestamps

 

Download here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got a request, I don't know how feasible it is. For me I think of switching to compact mode if I want multiple windows viewable at the same time. Would it be possible to set up an "always on top" option like VLC? Perhaps it's already an option but I haven't found it. :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 12 has been released. This is the change log:

 

– [Changed] Updated the German translation
– [Changed] Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation
– [Fixed] Queued songs which are not in the collection (e.g. from playlists), are not resumed after a restart.
– [Fixed] Playlists containing the same song multiple times, confuses play previous and play next.
– [Fixed] Incorrect ordering of timed lyrics which contain duplicate timestamps

 

Download here

Hi Raphaël!

Trying this new beta I've realised that the loop function (playlist and off) seems to be reverted. I have just enabled "loop" so that when I'm listening to an album, moves along to the next song instead of repeating the first one again.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this or may be an issue on my end.

 

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I've got a request, I don't know how feasible it is. For me I think of switching to compact mode if I want multiple windows viewable at the same time. Would it be possible to set up an "always on top" option like VLC? Perhaps it's already an option but I haven't found it. :laugh:

Have a look in the right click menu of any of the mini players. It should be there :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jackaluichi said:

Hi Raphaël!

Trying this new beta I've realised that the loop function (playlist and off) seems to be reverted. I have just enabled "loop" so that when I'm listening to an album, moves along to the next song instead of repeating the first one again.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this or may be an issue on my end.

 

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand. I just tried loop and it seems to work here (loop one is broken, but that's another problem). Maybe I'm missing something, so please don't hesitate to give me more info about your specific case. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

I'm not sure I understand. I just tried loop and it seems to work here (loop one is broken, but that's another problem). Maybe I'm missing something, so please don't hesitate to give me more info about your specific case. Thanks!

It seems to be working well today after having restarted my system... 😅

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jackaluichi said:

It seems to be working well today after having restarted my system... 😅

Software is weird sometimes... Let me know if it comes back :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

And so it begins... Dopamine 3.0 loading on Ubuntu :)

 

Screenshot from 2019-08-12 22-34-35.png

Niceeeeeeeee! 😄

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

Software is weird sometimes... Let me know if it comes back :)

Will do 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

And so it begins... Dopamine 3.0 loading on Ubuntu :)

 

Screenshot from 2019-08-12 22-34-35.png

oh man can't wait! If you need a tester please pm me! Thank you so much for this...  Linux really needs a great player like yours :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ravensky said:

oh man can't wait! If you need a tester please pm me! Thank you so much for this...  Linux really needs a great player like yours :)

 

You're welcome 😀 As soon as development progressed some more, I'll introduce preview builds, like for the 1.x and 2.x versions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Software is weird sometimes... Let me know if it comes back :)

Jackaluichi's problem with me too. When I listen to a song from an album. When it is over it does not start the next one, but returns it to the first one.  No matter how it is set to ''loop".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kukata said:

Jackaluichi's problem with me too. When I listen to a song from an album. When it is over it does not start the next one, but returns it to the first one.  No matter how it is set to ''loop".

Could it be this issue? https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/1014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Usama Jawad96
      YouTube is forcing popular Discord music bot Rythm offline, millions impacted
      by Usama Jawad

      YouTube has recently been on the warpath against Discord music bots. For those unaware, this piece of technology allows users to play music from YouTube videos on Discord servers. Citing copyright violations, Google first shut down the Groovy bot a couple of weeks ago, and now, it is forcing Rythm offline.

      Rythm is a massively popular music bot which was installed on 20 million Discord servers and was being used by over 560 million people. Yoav, who is the developer behind the bot, stated that the service was being powered by over 4TB of RAM and 1,000 CPU cores. Google's cease-and-desist letter states that Rythm should be shut down within seven days, and the developers are complying and shuttering the service on September 15.

      The shutdown does not only impact 560 million end-users but also the bot's developer who was involved in this project in a full-time capacity. In a statement to The Verge, Yoav went on to say that:

      The bot's official website echoes similar sentiments, but an interesting note over there also emphasizes that work is underway on "something brand new in the music space that will revolutionize how we all listen to music". As such, the Rythm team has advised users to keep the bot installed on their servers. It remains to be seen what the developers have in store, keeping in view YouTube's copyright restrictions.

    • By Copernic
      foobar2000 1.6.7
      by Razvan Serea



      foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. It features the simplest, most minimalistic interface you'll ever see in this kind of program. Other features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.

      foobar2000 features:

      Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components. Gapless playback. Full unicode support. Easily customizable user interface layout. Advanced tagging capabilities. Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component. Full ReplayGain support. Customizable keyboard shortcuts. Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player foobar2000 1.6.7 changelog:

      Built-in WASAPI exclusive output.

      Rewritten entirely in beta 7, old beta1-6 bugs should be gone.

      Added 'smart stop' option in Advanced Preferences; press stop key once to stop-after-current, twice to stop now.

      Fixed WavPack lossy not working regression from 1.6.6.

      Made Output preferences reflect output device changes made by output picker toolbar. (beta 5)

      Allowed per-track REM COMMENT in cuesheets. (beta 6)

      HLS radio bug fixes. (beta 6)

      Fixed crashing on failed paste operations in Properties dialog. (beta 6)

      Fixed incorrect handling of UTF-8 file names inside ZIP archives. (beta 6)

      Removed 8-bit output option. (beta 7)

      Fixed inaccurate preamp decibel formatting in Converter setup dialog. (beta 7)

      Prevented popup of Preferences page prompting for a valid output device if the audio device was unplugged with foobar2000 in background. (beta 13)

      Added .weba (WebM audio) to recognied extensions. (beta 15)

      Fixed issues with playing certain streamed M4A files. (beta 16)

      Download page: foobar2000 1.6.7 | 4.5 MB (Freeware)
      Links: Home Page | foobar2000 for Mac | Windows Store | Android

      Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

    • By Copernic
      iTunes 12.11.4
      by Razvan Serea



      iTunes is a free application for Windows PCs. It plays all your digital music and video. It syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. And it's an entertainment superstore that stays open 24/7.

      Organize your music into playlists Edit file information Record compact discs Copy files to an iPod or other digital audio player Purchase music and videos on the Internet through the built-in iTunes store Run a visualizer to display graphical effects in time to the music Encode music into a number of different audio formats. Changes in iTunes 12.11.4:

      This update includes security improvements and adds support for new devices. Download: iTunes 12.11.4 (32-bit) | 171.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: iTunes 12.11.4 (64-bit) | 200.0 MB
      Links: Apple iTunes Website

      Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

    • By Jay Bonggolto
      Spotify is testing a cheaper, ad-supported plan that lets you infinitely skip songs
      by Jay Bonggolto

      Cheaper subscription tiers are becoming a thing among streaming platforms in an attempt to lure consumers into their paid services. Earlier, YouTube confirmed that it's testing Premium Lite in some European countries, allowing subscribers to watch videos uninterrupted by ads for €6.99 per month.

      Now, Spotify appears to be trialing a new cheaper plan called Spotify Plus that combines some capabilities of its free and paid tiers. For $0.99 per month, you can skip an unlimited number of songs per hour and listen to specific titles in an album or playlist. However, you'll have to bear with the ads just like in the free plan if you wish to gain access to those capabilities for a cheaper price.

      Spotify confirmed the report in a statement to The Verge:

      The current free tier allows you to skip only up to six songs per hour. And while you can select specific tracks to play in specific collections such as “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix”, you'll only be able to listen to shuffled songs in all other albums and playlists. If you want to avoid those restrictions, you can opt for the service's paid plan which currently costs $9.99 per month.

      Spotify, however, cautioned that the experimental tier may not necessarily roll out in its current form in the future. And if ever it does, it remains to be seen how the cheaper tier will help convert free users into paying subscribers.

      Source: The Verge

    • By Chandrakant
      Amazon introduces The Golden Era Vinyl subscription service
      by Chandrakant Isi



      Vinyl records, the last bastion of analog music in this digital world, has been making a strong comeback. Last year, over 27 million LPs were sold in the US. It is a clear indication that not only the nostalgic folks but also the newer generation has a fascination for vinyl records. To make most of this trend, Amazon, which already lists hundreds of thousand records in its catalog, has announced a new vinyl subscription service.

      Dubbed as 'Vinyl of the Month Club: The Golden Era', it offers a single album on vinyl every month. For those not in the know, the golden era of vinyl refers to the 60s and 70s. The service seems like a good idea for young vinyl enthusiasts planning to build their collection. Amazon claims that a monthly record is picked by its experts at Amazon Music. So far, Amazon has revealed that subscribers will get a chance to enjoy the work of legendary artists such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, and Fleetwood Mac.



      Upon subscribing to the service, you can find out the current month's album from Amazon's orders page. If you already own that album or it doesn't interest you, simply skip the month's package from the 'Manage Your Subscriptions' page. Amazon also allows subscribers to return a vinyl as long as its packing is intact.

      Amazon's Vinyl of the Month Club subscription costs $24.99 per month. The pricing is not bad considering that the cost of popular LPs varies wildly. For instance, Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti currently sells for $34.69 on Amazon.

      Amazon's idea seems inspired by the Columbia Record Club from the 50s. Conceived in 1955, it was the first venture to offer music through the mail. The company offered a complimentary record to boost its membership numbers. It was a huge success back then as the company was shipping over seven million vinyl records by 1957.