Dopamine

On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Drewlecoix said:

Made this account just to ask, so sorry if that's frowned upon in this forum, but I might stick around because the community seems cool 😀

Sorry that no-one has responded to your questions yet, but welcome! And no worries about the length of the post. If anything we prefer that people provide as much detail as possible.

I'm not sure that I understand why anyone would use VLC as a music player, but that's another matter. If I go to my start menu and type "dop..." it brings up Dopamine straight away as an application. Have you tried doing a reinstallation?

While I'm here, I've got a question for everyone: has anyone installed Dopamine in Linux Mint? I've realised that I am sorely missing this program as my default music player on my main machine, and I'm thinking that I may be able to get it to work through Wine. Just wondering if anyone has already tried it?

On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Drewlecoix said:

Made this account just to ask, so sorry if that's frowned upon in this forum, but I might stick around because the community seems cool 😀

Hi! I'm so sorry for not anwsering this question any sooner. I was on vacation and missed your question.

Which edition (Portable or Installable) edition of Dopamine are you using? Please note that the portable edition doesn't add the registry keys to your system which are required to make file associations work. You can also associate dopamine with audio file by right-clicking on a file, choosing "open with", then choose Dopamine and check the box to always use it to open that type of file.

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

While I'm here, I've got a question for everyone: has anyone installed Dopamine in Linux Mint? I've realised that I am sorely missing this program as my default music player on my main machine, and I'm thinking that I may be able to get it to work through Wine. Just wondering if anyone has already tried it?

I've never tried to install Dopamine through Wine. But, as I'm using Ubuntu on my home machine, I'm interested to try this out. I'll post my findings here as soon as I've tried it out :)

7 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I've never tried to install Dopamine through Wine. But, as I'm using Ubuntu on my home machine, I'm interested to try this out. I'll post my findings here as soon as I've tried it out :)

I'll try this evening as well and report back. Here's hoping!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I'll try this evening as well and report back. Here's hoping!

I gave it a go and failed :( I was able to get Dopamine to start up, but the window was completely black. It seemed to react to mouse clicks, as I was able to switch between full player and mini player (the black window changed size) by clicking with the mouse in a location that is approximately the location of the player switch button. I suspect that the black window is caused by the fact that Dopamine is a WPF application, and that requires DirectX. Then, I tried a simple WPF app (a new project which just displays a empty window) and that was also black. No luck...

2 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I gave it a go and failed :( I was able to get Dopamine to start up, but the window was completely black. It seemed to react to mouse clicks, as I was able to switch between full player and mini player (the black window changed size) by clicking with the mouse in a location that is approximately the location of the player switch button. I suspect that the black window is caused by the fact that Dopamine is a WPF application, and that requires DirectX. Then, I tried a simple WPF app (a new project which just displays a empty window) and that was also black. No luck...

Damn. :(

I don't mean to digress from the purpose of the thread, but I'm interested: Since you've created this fantastic application, what do you use on Ubuntu as a music player? I've got Rhythmbox installed by default but it doesn't wow me like your player does. ;)

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

Damn. :(

I don't mean to digress from the purpose of the thread, but I'm interested: Since you've created this fantastic application, what do you use on Ubuntu as a music player? I've got Rhythmbox installed by default but it doesn't wow me like your player does. ;)

Rhythmbox here too. I haven't found any player that satisfies me on Linux, so I'm just using the Ubuntu default.

I've started development of Dopamine 3.0 (in parallel with version 2.0) which will be cross-platform. It is still in very early stages and more of a proof of concept at this point.

I worry a bit about the technology i chose to build it. It's built around Electron, and I know that a lot of people are not a fan. However, I've gone over all possibilities for creating cross-platform UI based applications, and nothing comes close to Electron. Also, web technologies are so popular that there is a massive amount of libraries available to do all kinds of very neat stuff. I ported another of my applications to Electron as a proof of concept for Dopamine, and I'm very satisfied of the performance and look and feel.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Raphaël G. said:

Rhythmbox here too. I haven't found any player that satisfies me on Linux, so I'm just using the Ubuntu default.

I've started development of Dopamine 3.0 (in parallel with version 2.0) which will be cross-platform. It is still in very early stages and more of a proof of concept at this point.

I worry a bit about the technology i chose to build it. It's built around Electron, and I know that a lot of people are not a fan. However, I've gone over all possibilities for creating cross-platform UI based applications, and nothing comes close to Electron. Also, web technologies are so popular that there is a massive amount of libraries available to do all kinds of very neat stuff. I ported another of my applications to Electron as a proof of concept for Dopamine, and I'm very satisfied of the performance and look and feel.

You continue to impress me, my friend! That's incredible. Feel free to reach out to me if you want an Alpha/Beta tester for that! I'll jump over to it ASAP, I can't wait! (Y)

yeah I've seen a lot of gripes about how Electron has every version of a library embeded in it but that's not something the end user notices and honestly Electron seems like the best implementation for a truly cross-platform app at this time :)

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

You continue to impress me, my friend! That's incredible. Feel free to reach out to me if you want an Alpha/Beta tester for that! I'll jump over to it ASAP, I can't wait! (Y)

Thanks! :) I'll make sure to let you know when I have a usable version.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

yeah I've seen a lot of gripes about how Electron has every version of a library embeded in it but that's not something the end user notices and honestly Electron seems like the best implementation for a truly cross-platform app at this time :)

Indeed, there is quite some stuff going on under the hood. But the development process, packaging and overall result is very well streamlined. I haven't found a better alternative at this point :). For my other app, I was surprised how little work I had to make it work on Linux and Windows.

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 12 has been released. This is the change log:

– [Changed] Updated the German translation
– [Changed] Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation
– [Fixed] Queued songs which are not in the collection (e.g. from playlists), are not resumed after a restart.
– [Fixed] Playlists containing the same song multiple times, confuses play previous and play next.
– [Fixed] Incorrect ordering of timed lyrics which contain duplicate timestamps

Download here

I've got a request, I don't know how feasible it is. For me I think of switching to compact mode if I want multiple windows viewable at the same time. Would it be possible to set up an "always on top" option like VLC? Perhaps it's already an option but I haven't found it. :laugh:

On 8/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 12 has been released. This is the change log:

– [Changed] Updated the German translation
– [Changed] Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation
– [Fixed] Queued songs which are not in the collection (e.g. from playlists), are not resumed after a restart.
– [Fixed] Playlists containing the same song multiple times, confuses play previous and play next.
– [Fixed] Incorrect ordering of timed lyrics which contain duplicate timestamps

Download here

Hi Raphaël!

Trying this new beta I've realised that the loop function (playlist and off) seems to be reverted. I have just enabled "loop" so that when I'm listening to an album, moves along to the next song instead of repeating the first one again.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this or may be an issue on my end.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I've got a request, I don't know how feasible it is. For me I think of switching to compact mode if I want multiple windows viewable at the same time. Would it be possible to set up an "always on top" option like VLC? Perhaps it's already an option but I haven't found it. :laugh:

Have a look in the right click menu of any of the mini players. It should be there :)

1 hour ago, Jackaluichi said:

Hi Raphaël!

Trying this new beta I've realised that the loop function (playlist and off) seems to be reverted. I have just enabled "loop" so that when I'm listening to an album, moves along to the next song instead of repeating the first one again.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this or may be an issue on my end.

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand. I just tried loop and it seems to work here (loop one is broken, but that's another problem). Maybe I'm missing something, so please don't hesitate to give me more info about your specific case. Thanks!

22 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

I'm not sure I understand. I just tried loop and it seems to work here (loop one is broken, but that's another problem). Maybe I'm missing something, so please don't hesitate to give me more info about your specific case. Thanks!

It seems to be working well today after having restarted my system... 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackaluichi said:

It seems to be working well today after having restarted my system... 😅

Software is weird sometimes... Let me know if it comes back :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

And so it begins... Dopamine 3.0 loading on Ubuntu :)

Screenshot from 2019-08-12 22-34-35.png

Niceeeeeeeee! 😄

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

Will do 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

And so it begins... Dopamine 3.0 loading on Ubuntu :)

Screenshot from 2019-08-12 22-34-35.png

oh man can't wait! If you need a tester please pm me! Thank you so much for this...  Linux really needs a great player like yours :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ravensky said:

oh man can't wait! If you need a tester please pm me! Thank you so much for this...  Linux really needs a great player like yours :)

You're welcome 😀 As soon as development progressed some more, I'll introduce preview builds, like for the 1.x and 2.x versions.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Jackaluichi's problem with me too. When I listen to a song from an album. When it is over it does not start the next one, but returns it to the first one.  No matter how it is set to ''loop".

1 hour ago, kukata said:

Jackaluichi's problem with me too. When I listen to a song from an album. When it is over it does not start the next one, but returns it to the first one.  No matter how it is set to ''loop".

Could it be this issue? https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/1014