Dopamine

6 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Could you test if Preview 9 improves this? I silently released preview 9 here.

I tested something as a whim, when my monitor is @60hz it works fine, but when I bump my refresh rate up to 144hz or 165hz it doesn't work.  So @ 60hz it's working great.  Not sure why it would not work at a higher refresh rate...

Spectrum Analyzer bug:

I have a duel monitor setup, one is 1080p @ 60hz, the other is 1440p @ 166hz, there is a bug in the NVidia drivers that causes stuttering in windows when two displays are using different refresh rates.  I tested this bug with both monitors @ 60hz and everything works fine.  When I bumped my main monitor up to 165hz is when the stuttering starts in Spectrum Analyzer.  I suspect this issues is being caused by the NVidia driver.  I have only seen this behavior in the edge browser for video playback, the new Chromium browser somehow is not affected by this bug.

Nvidia bug info

@Ravensky Thank's a lot for this information! That might explain why I have problems reproducing it on my computer. I've updated the issue information on the Dopamine GitHub: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/987

It's indeed, not clear why it only happens on now playing.

Edit:

@Ravensky and @Jackaluichi,

Unfortunately I don't have any monitor which has a framerate higher than 60. So can I ask the following?

Could you try out the build that I put on my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqvqotogo2jv7kr/AAC54ENOFA89y78d30bMihRWa?dl=0

That build is also called "preview 9" and you should be able to install it over your current version. That build removes the image on now playing. I'd like to know if that improves the situation.

Thank you!

@RavenskyThanks for all the information, mate.

I also have a dual monitor setup, a 24" Dell 60Hz, but it's almost always switched off, and my main one is an UltraWide 2560x1080 144 Hz. My graphics card, however, is a Radeon RX Vega 56, so I don't think this is a problem exclusive to NVIDIA drivers. I have just tested using a refresh rate of 60 Hz, and just like in your case the problem dissappears. But I've also discovered something else. Even while keeping the refrest rate at 144 Hz, if I close Dopamine in the 'Now Playing' section, when I open it again and press play, the problem goes away as well, but it returns as soon as I switch to any other section within Dopamine.

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

@Ravensky and @Jackaluichi,

Unfortunately I don't have any monitor which has a framerate higher than 60. So can I ask the following?

Could you try out the build that I put on my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqvqotogo2jv7kr/AAC54ENOFA89y78d30bMihRWa?dl=0

That build is also called "preview 9" and you should be able to install it over your current version. That build removes the image on now playing. I'd like to know if that improves the situation.

Thank you!

I've just tested it, and I'm afraid it doesn't make any difference at all.

23 minutes ago, Jackaluichi said:

I've just tested it, and I'm afraid it doesn't make any difference at all.

Thanks! So I can rule that one out.

Your observation about starting on now playing, and then opening another screen is quite interesting. In that case, does the stutter happen on another screen than the now playing screen?

6 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Thanks! So I can rule that one out.

Your observation about starting on now playing, and then opening another screen is quite interesting. In that case, does the stutter happen on another screen than the now playing screen?

In that case, when I go back to the general view the stutters happen for a brief moment and then they just go away on their own. This bug seems like one of the most weird ones I've come across in a while.

7 minutes ago, Jackaluichi said:

In that case, when I go back to the general view the stutters happen for a brief moment and then they just go away on their own. This bug seems like one of the most weird ones I've come across in a while.

Very strange indeed. How is the spectrum analyzer on the cover and the micro player?

3 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Very strange indeed. How is the spectrum analyzer on the cover and the micro player?

It also produces the same stutters.

I am seeing all the same things that Jackaluichi is seeing...  If I keep my monitor at 60hz it all works great!   It seems that the bug shows up when I run my high end monitor @ 144hz or 165hz.  Somehow it's tied to refresh rate...

While Dopamine is running and playing music on the Now Playing screen if I switch from 60hz to 120hz or 144hz or 165hz it will instantly start stuttering, (not the music playback just the analyzer) and when I switch back to 60hz while it is still playing it will correct itself and run fine.  So it is definitely tied to the refresh rate of the monitor.  If Dopamine is on the default playback window there is no affect at any refresh rate it just works fine on all.

Hi everyone!

Dopamine 2.0 preview 10 is ready for consumption. This release has a very short, but interesting, change log:

– [Fixed] Lyrics “Search again” doesn’t work
– [Fixed] High CPU and memory usage

For this preview, I spent quite some time optimizing memory en CPU usage. On my test system, this was a success. Hopefully this preview treats you as well as it did me 🙂

Enjoy!

As always, you can download it here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another preview is available. I've been handling small annoyances that some people reported. Here's the change log:

– [Fixed] Short sound after starting up
– [Fixed] Zero-sized images which are embedded in audio files, are mistakenly treated as valid images.

Download here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Another preview is available. I've been handling small annoyances that some people reported. Here's the change log:

– [Fixed] Short sound after starting up
– [Fixed] Zero-sized images which are embedded in audio files, are mistakenly treated as valid images.

Download here

Thanks, Raphaël! 😄
How's the spectrum analyzer stutter's investigation going? 🤔

58 minutes ago, Jackaluichi said:

Thanks, Raphaël! 😄
How's the spectrum analyzer stutter's investigation going? 🤔

Not good :( I have no idea how to explain what is going on. Also, the fact that I don't have the tools to reproduce it, doesn't help.

21 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Not good :( I have no idea how to explain what is going on. Also, the fact that I don't have the tools to reproduce it, doesn't help.

If I were rich, I would give you a 144 Hz monitor away 😜

1 hour ago, Jackaluichi said:

If I were rich, I would give you a 144 Hz monitor away 😜

Hehe thanks :) But no need. I'll find another way somehow. Maybe some other developer can assist. You aren't a developer by any chance? :)

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hehe thanks :) But no need. I'll find another way somehow. Maybe some other developer can assist. You aren't a developer by any chance? :)

I'm afraid I'm not 😅

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kukata said:

@Raphaël G. Hello! When starting the player a brief moment (2-3 secs) from a song of the last played album is been played. He's been having this problem for a long time. It's not the new build.

Preview 11 is also doing that? I hoped I fixed that in preview 11.

57 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Preview 11 is also doing that? I hoped I fixed that in preview 11.

I'm sorry I did not test this build. Now everything is OK. Тhank you!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kukata said:

I'm sorry I did not test this build. Now everything is OK. Тhank you!

Excellent! Thanks for confirming 😀

Made this account just to ask, so sorry if that's frowned upon in this forum, but I might stick around because the community seems cool 😀

I've downloaded Dopamine to replace VLC and from what little time I've used it it seems awesome already, but when I try to make Dopamine the default audio player in the "Default apps" menu as well as in the control panel, it doesn't show up on the list of programs able to be selected. Additionally, searching for Dopamine in the search bar only brings up the playlist folder it creates in "C:\Users\[NAME]\Music", but not the application file itself or its own folder I installed it to.

I've also tried using file association in the control panel, much to the same effect of being brought back to the frustrating metro "Default apps" menu.

There's no problem running the program at all as far as I can tell (I pretty much downloaded it just a week ago and fiddled with it off and on), but not being able to make it the system-recognized default is kind of a bummer. I haven't found this issue with anyone else, but then again I've been known to have very specific problems nobody else has, so could it be an install problem, perhaps?

Sorry for long post. I have no idea what this forum's etiquette is. Every forum is different.