Using server 2003 as a workstation?

i dont feel stupid, i feel that people shoudl use an OS for what ever they want to. hell if they want to use it just for surfing the web or aim, then so be it. who are yall to tell him/her how to use it.

i dont feel stupid, i feel that people shoudl use an OS for what ever they want to. hell if they want to use it just for surfing the web or aim, then so be it. who are yall to tell him/her how to use it.

Because some people don't understand that a car is not a snowplow, and shouldn't be used as one no matter how many attachments you put on the car.

but if it can be used as one, why not use it. is it harming ne one, no. is it getting the job done, yes. so whats the problem. nothing now and days is used only the way it was used for. Cars were nto meant to be raced, but they do it anyways, man was not supposed to fly, but we do ne ways.........you see if it has the ability to do something then it will be done, regardless if its wrong or right.

If you fancy a change I sergest a linux distro maby red hat? have a look in the linux forum, but If i was you i would dule boot or by an old computer to put it on, its not he sort of thing you can change to over night.

Dan

Whats there to understand, im sure everyone knows that the name is Windows 2003 Server, they know its a server Operation System, what im getting at is, why do you and everyone else here have to say, NO dont use it as a Workstation. So what, it wasnt "Made" for a workstation, XP was the workstation, WHO CARES. Now i understand the part about software not working, if you install 2k3 as a WS and you bitch about NAV2k3 and PM 8 then take it off, remember you have a server os you need server side software sometimes. but to straight up tell them NO cause you dont see it fit to run as a workstation is not right.

As a net admin at my hospital, us admins have discussed this many times, and find it fruitless to call it a server software only, i mean hell it has server functions built in, but works just at well as a WS. I wish they have a option like RED HAT. Workstation or Server, that would be great, but 2k3 works fine the way it is.

Now i understand the part about software not working, if you install 2k3 as a WS and you bitch about NAV2k3 and PM 8 then take it off, remember you have a server os you need server side software sometimes. but to straight up tell them NO cause you dont see it fit to run as a workstation is not right.

The reason most people tell them no is because just as well as the NOS costing quite a bit (even though you can download evaluation versions) you cannot as easily download evaluation copies of server side software like NAV Corporate. To tell people they should download those promotes the downloading of warez. ;)

Just because you mentioned stability :p Meet my home machine, running XP and used by my GF and 4 year old daughter. Still ticking away.......

http://uptimeimgserv.0rd.net/img/3/12498.png

heh. yeah.....if only two or 3 people used my comp. and it was lightweight programs....my xp could have a better uptime. but its used by 5 members of my family and since im a programmer/web designer i always have vstudio 2003, photoshop, dreamweaver, office xp, webmatrix, bla bla bla....so it kinda uses a lot of resources and gradually makes my system slow (or stupid, lol) and i have to reboot.

i wish i could get rid of the login screen in XP and just enable w2k-style logging.......but that ****s up Fast User Switching....and since my brother and my dad leave programs running.......blaaaaaah. i once did and they called me at the movies asking why they couldnt click on their login-picture to access the box. lol

ur right silly_walk......bout it being designed to be a server. still.......but i want to include THIS LINK for you all...... that kinda shows the irony in us arguing about w2k3 as a WS.

lol

I really wish people would stop saying this, because there are perfectly legal ways to get Server 2003 directly from Microsoft FOR FREE! Hell, they'll mail you a copy. As many copies as you would like. I happen to have a stack of them sitting in a box collecting dust at the moment (why? because I don't happen to have any extra machines to run them on at the moment).

Somehow 'Microsoft' and 'free' dont fit in the same sentence.

If you meant 'evaluation period' .. you should replace 'free' with 'trial'.. this could be very misleading

If you meant 'free' meaning 'full version' meaning 'zero dollars'.. i should be your friend.. :shifty:

Actually, I'm pretty sure there are some that are.  The difference there is that with OS X, there aren't different drivers/software between the Server and Client OS's (that I'm aware of).  Basically, if it works on one, it will work on the other.

hate to tell u this M8 i have run them all as workstation

till 2003 they where just the same as workstation with more **** enabled try ntswitch on any of them and u can turn them to server/workstation in a matter of seconds

This WHOLE topic has been done to death - and it is just SAD that neowin continues to ALLOW this promotion of WAREZ. I do not care if you got the copy FREE or not - the use of the eval software as a DESKTOP OS for personal use, is NOT covered in the EULA!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...trial/eula.mspx

** Not for Production Use. You may not demonstrate, test, examine, evaluate or otherwise use the Software in a live operating environment

What part of this - do you NOT understand??? How would using it for day to day stuff, NOT be a live operating environment??

** Limited License; Time Sensitive Software. YOUR RIGHT TO USE THE SOFTWARE IS EFFECTIVE FROM THE DATE YOU FIRST INSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON ANY SERVER FOR A PERIOD OF ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY (180) DAYS.

Notice the PART about - from FIRST install?? And No, having another copy of the CD - does not make it LEGAL to install that copy after the first 180 days. And NO you can NOT just put it on another box.

I understand its NEW - and hey everyone wants to check it out!! But the use of the EVAL software - is meant as that, EVAL of the software for use as intended. Will it run games - sure, can it be used to browse the net, sure! Can it be used to listen to music - sure it can. But how is listening to music while you browse neowin not your production environment?? You did the exact same thing before you installed the EVAL of w2k3 - on the same damn machine. This is clearly not the intent of of the EVAL software, nor is it permitted by the EULA.

Hey there is the cuz you can factor - and that's fine. But there is NO freaking way that all of you people purchased FULL legal copies of this software - NONE, its just too freaking expensive!! I don't care if you got some academic version from some online store or NOT. The vast majority of you would be in violation of that EULA as well. I would have to say most of the posts of people using it - are from kids living at home with Mommy (I did not say all, so don't your knickers in a bunch - geeesuzzz) Yeah OK, they can buy $1000 software to browse the net with - come ON!!! And they are not sure what version they should get Standard or Enterprise - COME ON, if you think these kids are legit - or the intended audience of this eval - you need bang your head up against the wall a few times, maybe it will knock some sense into you???.

Is it my place to say if your legal or not - NO! Would all of my software withstand an audit of legality - hmmm, not going to say ;) But then again - I don't go asking about it on neowin. As soon as that w2k3 as a workstation guide was posted - it was clear that it was PROMOTION of warez, plain and simple. I tried to voice my opinion on that quite a few times - and was shot down. Hey not my board - so whatever.

But since I am a member of this community - just like everyone else. I have as much right to voice my opinion on a topic as the next member of this community. As long as I do not break any rules - and if my opinion is that running of w2k3 as a workstation is wrong. Why can I not voice this opinion?? As you can tell from every thread that has w2k3 in it - its a very heated topic.

So if you ask if you should run w2k3 as a desktop - get ready for alot of people saying NO. And then there will be those saying - don't listen to those fools, do whatever you want, etc.. etc.. If you would of search - this would of been CLEAR!!

As a final note - if you own a LEGAL copy of w2k3, please feel FREE to do with it as you wish. And hey - glad to see your doing so well, that you can afford that kind of money to play games or browse the net with. I would of saved a few bucks and gone with version that was meant for desktop use - but hey thats me ;) And yes there is cheaper copies available under academic lic.. But then again - if you eligible to purchase w2k3 under that lic.. you would also eligible to purchase XP, which again would be ALOT cheaper!!

acctuly if you take what u mean by live use then u cant really eval the os to see if your wana use it

i have read the EULA and posted it menny times nowhere dose it say u cant use it as a WS also there definition of servers kinda a joke

if u would like i can post it agin i dont mind

i have my full server i traded to get the OFFICAL disk mine is not warezed and i know menny people who have gotten it CHEAP from there college tell me how thats warez???

grow the f up why dont you go harrass the people in the xp forums about how 90% of them using pro are using warezed copys with eather reset or corp files

ok another multi post

ok i agree with silly about if your stupid enought to bitch about nav2k3 not working and such that u should be shot your to stupid to be allowed to reamain inthe gene pool

i use f-prot and it works grate

i dont see the problem running 99% of the games i have the only ones i have had any trobble with have been bf1942 and chrome

as for chrome its got problems on my buddys xp system dose the same crap as it dose on 2k3 for me so its not the os

bf1942 they are still trying to patch properly each full patch has problems and im unwilling to download 5 fing incromental patches

dont like the game anyway LOL

basickly if you wana use it for ws do it just dont ask truly stupid quetions and dont try and ntswitch it to xp

if you wana see the power of 2k3 DONT try and turn it into xp just get it set to use sound and dx9/3d accell dissable shutdown tracker and ctrl+alt+del for convenance

2k3 is NOT xp i hate xp to menny wizzards and to much **** i would never be intrested in using

really it takes 30+min to clean xp up for perf/stab (according to menny people on THESE FORUMS) i have done it spent HOURS when i had xp trying to get it to be as fast and stable as 2kpro/server where for me at first i liked xp then the more i used it the more i hated it

then i got the 2k3 eval and played with it once i found out how to get the tracker gone and the ctrl+alt+del thing gone i slowly went about playing with it and learning what it was like

upgraded as they put out the full and liked it even more

then a friend working for intel got a copy of 2k3 thru work and offered to trade me for 2 orignal xp pro disks i had i was like hell yeah :D

oh the first time i did a full WS conversion it was about 15min of work the 3rd time it took me about 5 min toatle

i now have 2k3 sbs free from ms just waiting on my key the first one they sent didnt work :( they said that i should have my new key in a few days (probbly next week) so sall good :D

windows 2k3 is a good workstation OS and should be used by everyone. I LOVE ME WORKSTATION 2k3

You're a moron

:p :ninja:

[Edit] more to the point, it's a good OS however you use it. -nuff said. [/Edit]

Somehow 'Microsoft' and 'free' dont fit in the same sentence.

If you meant 'evaluation period' .. you should replace 'free' with 'trial'.. this could be very misleading

If you meant 'free' meaning 'full version' meaning 'zero dollars'.. i should be your friend.. :shifty:

Ah, you know that what he said is BS unless he works there or something

If they were right, Linux couldn't be used as a desktop OS, only server, since most machines running Linux are servers and you get all kinds of server programs with it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was about to point this out. There are a lot of Linux junkies out there that use Linux as a workstation, when in all realness, it's an Server OS.

Sure, there are a few candy cane distros that make it more user friendly, but at the end of the day, It's a server OS.

Also, I find that using Win2k3 a large advantage for someone that is interested in obtaining their MCSE in Win2k3, I'll probably look into doing this soon myself.

As for all these people that are freaking out because people would even consider using Win2k3 as a workstation, chill out. People have the right to do anything they wish with there PCs, and it's not really hurting anyone, so what's the big deal?

Also, I find that using Win2k3 a large advantage for someone that is interested in obtaining their MCSE in Win2k3, I'll probably look into doing this soon myself.

Helped me when I was studying for 70-290. Now of course, I was using it for server stuff then as well, because all the tests are geared towards server stuff. ;)