• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Using server 2003 as a workstation?

YaZoR    0

doesn't bother me about the "its a server OS" arguement.

if your asking for help. your gonna get flamed.

neowin should have a win2003"workstation" forum only for ppl who want to do it and evreyone else (including all the :yawn: "win2k3 isn't a workstation" alliance "members" should be banned from it.

Dominik    0

I was running Win2k3 as a workstation for 3 months,worked fine for me...

Now using it as a server and it's even better.

pinhead    0

As a legitamate owner of both Windows XP and Server 2003 I find this thread amusing.

Assuming both machines are patched with the latest fixes, updates etc there isn't really that much difference between the 2 OS's.

For people who winge about one being more bloated than the other, 2003 server has the OPTION (yes, OPTION) of installing IIS, AD, DFS etc. They are NOT installed by default. XP is for HOME users. 2003 is for people who run SERVERS (hence the name Windows 2003 Server). Servers do NOT need Direct X, WMP, etc installed. Their goal is to deliver data securely and as fast as possible. As soon as you install and enable the features that could potentially turn 2003 into a Workstation OS, you will find that it runs as slow as XP does.

But it does make you wonder why people would spend at least ?500+ on an operating system for home use ! Or have they been downloading from certain naferious sources?:whistle::

PF Prophet    0
you aware that directx 8.1 is integrated into the windows codebase? meanwhile directx9 because of the longhorn development? your "it wouldnt be there if not intended" argument doesnt hold.

not true little "man" you can toatle remove dx and windows will work fine i know i have done it

its pre-installed but not REQUIERED for windows to work

longhorn is gonna use dx9+ for part of its enhanced interface fetures from what i have read thats difrent it then will truly be a PART of the os

but then the server version will have to support dx9 LOL god that will be funny people saying its not for gaming yet it REQUIERS gaming class hardware :p

if u dought me try this http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/14/4/14-4-40.shtml

ms simply could have NOT installed what that removes and NOT allowd you to install dx8-9 on the system

guess u learn something new every day LOL

PF Prophet    0
As a legitamate owner of both Windows XP and Server 2003 I find this thread amusing.

Assuming both machines are patched with the latest fixes, updates etc there isn't really that much difference between the 2 OS's.

For people who winge about one being more bloated than the other, 2003 server has the OPTION (yes, OPTION) of installing IIS, AD, DFS etc. They are NOT installed by default. XP is for HOME users. 2003 is for people who run SERVERS (hence the name Windows 2003 Server). Servers do NOT need Direct X, WMP, etc installed. Their goal is to deliver data securely and as fast as possible. As soon as you install and enable the features that could potentially turn 2003 into a Workstation OS, you will find that it runs as slow as XP does.

But it does make you wonder why people would spend at least ?500+ on an operating system for home use ! Or have they been downloading from certain naferious sources?:whistle::

i OWEN Std and SBS editions of 2k3 nolonger owen xp

dont tell everybody they are warezing when u dont know them ms gave alot of SBS away

ToastGodSupreme    2

Honestly, now that I've played with it... server ain't all that. Well, it is if you're running a server, but jesus, for anything else it's not (and, I am running a server, it's sitting on my Celly 900 @ 1Ghz machine with 1Gb of ram doing FTP, edonk, network routing, etc). And btw, I'm using standard. That's the only version I could get through the tech dept where I work. (Sorry, can't share.)

I'm not going to bitch how you shouldn't use it as a workstation. Personally, I'd be fine with it if I had to (since I already use all the backdoor ways of changing settings and whatnot, managing server is easy for me), but if I had the option, WinXP Pro for desktop.

But yeah... it's really nothing to get in a craze about. SOme of you people just have to be using the latest and greatest, good for you, but like many others have said, don't ****ing bitch about when you can't get something to work in it like your iPod or some other stupid device that you know shouldn't be connected to a server anyway. YOU installed WinServer2003, thus YOU fix your own problems (unless of course it's something like setting up an active directory server or something that is suposed to work with it natively).

So yeah...

dL    0

Windows 2003 Server is a Server OS.

Windows XP is a Workstation OS.

Simply said.

If you want Windows 2003 Server to act as a Workstation OS, it is like saying walking up on an escalator which is going down. You can go up, but that's not what it is meant for.

I hope that explains it.

cpugeniusmv    0

Simply said.

If you want Windows 2003 Server to act as a Workstation OS, it is like saying walking up on an escalator which is going down. You can go up, but that's not what it is meant for.

I hope that explains it.

that's the best analogy i've heard in a long time.

GR7    0

Simply said.

I hope that explains it.

good analogy allright....lol.

but it was fun walking up on a down-way escalator when we were kids, as its fun for some to use w2k3 as a WS.

pinhead    0
i OWEN Std and SBS editions of 2k3 nolonger owen xp

dont tell everybody they are warezing when u dont know them ms gave alot of SBS away

Eh? Wanna talk in English? Or are you too l33t for that?

Owen is a name, not a verb or noun. I think you meant Owned ?

Surely, if people are installing Server 2k3 on home machines and having problems, then that would lead me to believe they've obtained it through non-legit sources or they're running Beta / Trial releases. If they were legit owners, you wouldn't have the problems as you'd have had training on it or experience with previous M$ releases. 2K3 isn't that much different from 2000. Granted, it has a few more nice tools and features, but essentially, its the same in terms of administration.

PF Prophet    0

i have ligit copys of bouth std AND SBS(small buisness server) and no longer have ANY copys of xp

i kept my 2k disks becouse for me its eather 2k pro/server OR 2k3 really i have asked but a few questions and none where things that even the l337 IT persion would nesserrly know

i gave up asking about some things becouse people didnt get what i ment like the shared 56k connection from the internet server here via xp it came up as a briged connection that everybody could connect/dissconnect i know its possable with 2k3 i did it but cant remmber HOW :/

dosnt matter that much but would be nice since we are stuck on 56k for the time being and only 1 phone line

really this applys to a few offices around here that cant/wont change to cable and alreaddy bought 2k3 std for therer app/database/file servers i have tryed to help them and if i find out how i will tell them for now they gotta have the on site admin go and dissconnect if they wana send a fax or something like that

Banzai    0

PF Prophet theres something wrong with your sig it says mebers of the windows 2003 can be a workstation its called windows SERVER 2003 not windows 2003 if it was called windows 2003 it would be dif but its not its a SERVER, NOT A WORKSTATION its all in the name.

ClubNinja    0

Who cares what you do with it ?

What is the big deal ??

What is with all the fighting ??

farshaddashti    0

It can be a workstation

and a good and high speed workstation OS

i am using it now as a workstation OS i use it for multimedia and gaming

just you must change it to workstation with a small software

this :

File > Download it

:D

====================================================

FD

PF Prophet    0

i posted the latest ver of that tool last night m8 look at the optomizer(SP) 1.44 newest version :)

EScherer12000    0

my god wtf is wrong with all you people i read throught the 10 pages of this thread and nowhere not 1 time did anyone answer the original question posted. havent you ever set up xp to serve files why its a workstaion os right what a bunch of crap. how can you people be sooooooooo hung up on such a meaningless topic is beyond me. people by nature are going to do just wtf they want to do irreguardless of your bantering. and then all they piracy accusations i wrote a post yesterday and the first reply back was some aXX hole basically calling me a pirate. who gives a flying f*** how or where you acquire your software did it come out of your pocket? i dont codone piracy on a day to day basis id be willing to bet everone on this forum has atleast 1 piece of "not quite genuine software" lying around. so christ just let it be help whomever you can whenever you can and leave the crap for the toilette.

BTW: a history lesson for all those soooo concerned about bill gates' pocket bill gate STOLE "pirated" windows right from Steven Jobs. Why o Why do you think that Microsoft is soooo concerned about piracy because gates knows that he did what he did and need to make sure he stops you from trying anything close to the same. "beware yee protest to much be true"

tigerofsweden    0

whats upp with all these fights over 2003.. :unsure:

Dominik    0

completly agree... :)

snippet1    0
my god wtf is wrong with all you people i read throught the 10 pages of this thread and nowhere not 1 time did anyone answer the original question posted. havent you ever set up xp to serve files why its a workstaion os right what a bunch of crap. how can you people be sooooooooo hung up on such a meaningless topic is beyond me. people by nature are going to do just wtf they want to do irreguardless of your bantering. and then all they piracy accusations i wrote a post yesterday and the first reply back was some aXX hole basically calling me a pirate. who gives a flying f*** how or where you acquire your software did it come out of your pocket? i dont codone piracy on a day to day basis id be willing to bet everone on this forum has atleast 1 piece of "not quite genuine software" lying around. so christ just let it be help whomever you can whenever you can and leave the crap for the toilette.

BTW: a history lesson for all those soooo concerned about bill gates' pocket bill gate STOLE "pirated" windows right from Steven Jobs. Why o Why do you think that Microsoft is soooo concerned about piracy because gates knows that he did what he did and need to make sure he stops you from trying anything close to the same. "beware yee protest to much be true"

The question was answered - there would be no real gain. These topics can occasioanlly get quite off-topic, but seeing as the question was answered, there's nothing wrong with that.

Tempest    2

Will Snood load on Server 2003? That's all that matters.

Endoscient    0

It isn't nice at all the say someone is iprating Windows Server 2003 just because they want to run it as a workstation.

1) YOu can freely download a 180-day trial on the website. And some people liek myself just liek trying out the latest and greatest

2) Maybe they obtained an extra license somehow for same price or as cheap as XP.

3) They could also be a part of MSDN or one of thoose things that get it for free.

4) They are many other legitamite ways they could have gotten it, don't just presume they got it illegally just because they want to run as workstation.

Also don't keep going on how it is a Server OS not meant for workstatin use. You don't have to use it for it marketed meaning. It is usually the same bunch or trolsl in this forum saying the same thing whenever some one mentions Server 2003 and workstation

=Syntax=    0

Well I've tried running 2003 enterprise as a work station after alot of process killing, and it ran just fine.. Not that I would run it as my main OS, I was just playing around. I tweak for a good hour before I took it out for a spin. Very stable and did anything I wanted it to do including playing BF 1942 desert combat for over 2 hours.. Running app's, games, programs and much more. Flawlessly........ If you kill and disable the server type process's using the services panel in admin tools, you can really change the way 2003 runs and respond's. Even tho it is a server OS, if it came down to it, it could be used for a main none server OS with no problems I think....

cal2002    0
Will Snood load on Server 2003? That's all that matters.

LOL :laugh:

DarkCircuit    0

I really shouldnt post **** here, because this topic has been way over-discussed.

All I have to say is that just one of many boxes I am running, 2kent svr. is one of them, and I have turned it into a daily workstation with ease.

Silly bafoons who claim that it cannot be used as a workstation, have no clue as to what they are talking about. It IS a workstation, with server capacities.

Disabling the processes that make it a server is fine. Speeds everything up. But its nice to have those capabilities at the flip of a switch.

As well, 2k svr. has (much like a fine wine) had a bit more time to refine before release. Anyone who is running windows xp home / pro is not l33t to begin with. Try Linux. In any case, ... w2k svr. is an awesome os to use for generally anything. Its stable, quick, and fun to play with for you n00bs who think its "stupid" to use.

Why dont you benchmark it sometime. :sleep:

darkmark327    0

And Jobs stole it from Xerox.