• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Using server 2003 as a workstation?

darkmark327    0

I still don't understand why people go through the trouble of turning 2k3 back into XP. Just use XP in the first place! Then you don't have to whine about half of your stuff not working.

If you have the need for some of the services because you use your workstation as a server too, kudos to you. I would be using 2k3 for that reason, but I became sick of the incompatibilities. If all you want is a change, try Linux. Don't bother with 2003 just because it's newer.

Anyway, every single one of these threads is useless. They're just as bad as "Mac or Windows?" and "P4 or Athlon?"

EScherer12000    0

and we just keep going on and on and on and on and on enuff already join my alliance!! most people myself included just want it because its newer and new is good new is pretty new and pretty is why bill gates is a millionare ooops billionaire. thats why everyyear we get ne model cars everyone wants new and pretty so if you have the ways and means of accquiring new and pretty things irreguardless of what do it. and if you want 2k3 to look and feel like xp so be it. do it with the knowledge of a possible sacrafice in some areas but do it. god knows when longhorn arrives people are gonna jump for that. omg thatll be xp toooo but 2004 how will we ever survive?????? :D :D :D lmbffao(laffin my big fat f**** a%% off)

DarkCircuit    0

New Topic:

Anyone know how to make a working alien spacecraft? :alien:

EScherer12000    0

if u find out can i go for a ride?

cpu killer    7

I cant believe this turned into an 11 page topic when I just asked a yes or no question...

Oh well...

darkmark327    0

You'd get the same kind of thing if you asked "should I use a Mac instead of Windows" but probably more pages.

EScherer12000    0

cpu killer out of curiousity what was your end result did you keep 2k3 as a ws or did u return to xp?

raid517    0

I installed it, buggered about with it, changed parts, changed other parts, plucked it appart and then put it back together again. When I got bored, I put it down and went back to my regular OS. (Suse).

You see the thing these nutjobs and their nutjob loonytunes alliance don't understand is that most human beings are inherantly curious, so if there is something new like this, many will be naturally curious to explore it to see how it woks.

When I played with it I simply wanted to understand better what MS' new server strategy entailed. I wanted to learn as much as I could about it, probe its strenghs and weaknesses, push it to the extremes of what was possible and then see if it broke. If anyone here wants to say doing stuff like this is a bad thing, then I would stongly suggest that it is they who are the loosers. There is nothing wrong with self betterment or intellectual exploration. If the world was left to people like you, no doubt you would have suggested that moving away from the square and on to the wheel was probably a bad idea too. It sounds to me like you all believe that preseving the status quo is the best we should all ever hope to achieve.

Thank god there are more curious and interested people in the world than you.

GJ

EScherer12000    0

Amen.

p.s. i like my alliance though even if im the only 1 in it.

darkmark327    0

What bugs me are the people who try to use, but then don't bother to figure out how, and just come whining about their stuff not working. If you really want to learn, figure out how to do it yourself! None of us (who can answer the questions) have a Windows Server 2003 manual, we figure things out by trial and (many an) error. That's how you learn, not by installing it because it's newer and then asking every time you get a bump in the road to longhorn.

cpu killer    7

Hey.

I havent got around to having any experience with w2k3 yet, as my dad is going to ship me the copy along with my new upgrade stuff..As I said im not warzing this, im getting it off my dad whos a system administrator and gets all the software he wants, he got w2k3 and their business decided to go back to 2000 :).

Anyways, I pretend on installing it as soon as I get the stuff and see how it runs, really interested to see this..

BTW: would winserver2k3 use XP drivers?

just a thought..

EScherer12000    0

and to that i can say i agree i asked for help and while yes everyone helped and yes i got some idea(clues) as to what i eventually came up with. in the end i came up with my own answers. maybe not the rightest of them all but surely and answer that will atleast for now provide me the level of service i need then later i can go for getting what i want. as for the road to longhorn my god can it get any bumpier i dont think so lol but for now i will use 2k3 until i get bored enuff to hunt down another version of xp or longhorn comes to fruition. which ever.

btw yes about 89% (in my trials) of xp driver work on 2k3.

raid517    0

Well my view is simply this: If it doesn't affect you then butt out. What other people do is none of your damn business.

With regard to the question about XP drivers, dude I would be careful asking questions like that around these parts, some of the nutters here seem to get very upset over things like that.

Lol, I'm sure not going to condem you for using it, but what I will say is that if you do use it you will have to use your initiative a little.

There are lots of resources around the web that can answer just about any question you can think of. All you have to do is look for it.

This is perhaps a small concession to the views of some of the people here, but only inasmuch as I don't see any point in answering questions that have been answered lots of times already. I am certainly not going to threaten to throw myself off a tall building just because someone is doing something slightly unusual.

If you ask me these guys are just a bunch of sad f*ckers who really need to get a life.

GJ

xxdesmus    0

oh my dear lord, will a mod please close this mindless thread?

DarkCircuit    0

Top 10 reasons for using W2K Server as a workstation

10. W2k (ent.) server is a rarely used OS. Rare things are cool. Much like the wooley mammoth. CLICK ME

9. Using W2k server as a workstation makes you a bit different, and we all know that being different can cause some uptight people to get a bunch in their panties. Michaels-Spiderman-Panties.jpg

8. Its newer than XP. If its not new, that would make is old. Who wants an old OS?

7. It will be used as the main OS in the alien spacecaft I will eventually build, after I get my tax rebate check.

6. Using W2k Workstation as a server, allows you to use tweakNT, as well as W2K Optimize to fool your friends into thinking that you REALLY have the cheaper XP Pro. Fooling people is always fun.

5. W2k Ent. Server is free. You can get it anywhere, and crack it easy. I may not be completely white, but yes .. I am a cracker. Cracking is cool.

4. Running W2k Server As your Primay OS allows you to learn more about server functionality, so that when you graduate to l33t hax0r status, you can say .. "hey, .. I was pretty clever back in the day".

3. Im using it as one of my primary OS's. Who the hell wouldnt want to be like me? Are you kidding?

2. Did I mention the Wooley Mammoth?

1. I forget.

:p

darkmark327    0

XP drivers generally work fine. I stopped using 2k3 because ironically, it didn't work as well for a SOF2 server. With XP, I could run a dedicated and join it from the same machine. Not so with 2k3. I didn't notice a speed difference though over a fresh install of XP, if anything boot-up was slower and the rest was the same, so it was altogether slower.

For those who say it's faster, have you tried changing the cache/process settings in System properties?

PF Prophet    0
Hey.

I havent got around to having any experience with w2k3 yet, as my dad is going to ship me the copy along with my new upgrade stuff..As I said im not warzing this, im getting it off my dad whos a system administrator and gets all the software he wants, he got w2k3 and their business decided to go back to 2000 :).

Anyways, I pretend on installing it as soon as I get the stuff and see how it runs, really interested to see this..

BTW: would winserver2k3 use XP drivers?

just a thought..

in my testing its about 90% some drivers ya gotta wait on

only ones i have seen alot of trobble with are the bluetooth drivers and well bluetooth isnt a really set standred yet so ya never know whats gonna happen :(

vid drivers are the same sound drivers are the same(for sound i used the 2k drivers that i alreaddy had for my audio worked grate) just remmber if u have any devices that are old and have poor driver support replace them :)

PF Prophet    0
I installed it, buggered about with it, changed parts, changed other parts, plucked it appart and then put it back together again. When I got bored, I put it down and went back to my regular OS. (Suse).

You see the thing these nutjobs and their nutjob loonytunes alliance don't understand is that most human beings are inherantly curious, so if there is something new like this, many will be naturally curious to explore it to see how it woks.

When I played with it I simply wanted to understand better what MS' new server strategy entailed. I wanted to learn as much as I could about it, probe its strenghs and weaknesses, push it to the extremes of what was possible and then see if it broke. If anyone here wants to say doing stuff like this is a bad thing, then I would stongly suggest that it is they who are the loosers. There is nothing wrong with self betterment or intellectual exploration. If the world was left to people like you, no doubt you would have suggested that moving away from the square and on to the wheel was probably a bad idea too. It sounds to me like you all believe that preseving the status quo is the best we should all ever hope to achieve.

Thank god there are more curious and interested people in the world than you.

GJ

I have never been a huge linux fan but i have messed with it back in the redhat 6 days tryed like 4 dif versions messed with them stressed them crashed them and then moved on to playing with beos max edition that i was able to find a working copy of (that was intresting)

I mess with alot of os/s i have copys of os/2 warp,linux,every windows that was martketed (and a coupe that wherent) beos,unix and others and ya know they all have there place and can all be made to do things that the company never "intended" for them to do

And in menny cases they do it quite well :)

PF Prophet    0
Top 10 reasons for using W2K Server as a workstation

10. W2k (ent.) server is a rarely used OS. Rare things are cool. Much like the wooley mammoth. CLICK ME

9. Using W2k server as a workstation makes you a bit different, and we all know that being different can cause some uptight people to get a bunch in their panties. http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:IxMd...man-Panties.jpg

8. Its newer than XP. If its not new, that would make is old. Who wants an old OS?

7. It will be used as the main OS in the alien spacecaft I will eventually build, after I get my tax rebate check.

6. Using W2k Workstation as a server, allows you to use tweakNT, as well as W2K Optimize to fool your friends into thinking that you REALLY have the cheaper XP Pro. Fooling people is always fun.

5. W2k Ent. Server is free. You can get it anywhere, and crack it easy. I may not be completely white, but yes .. I am a cracker. Cracking is cool.

4. Running W2k Server As your Primay OS allows you to learn more about server functionality, so that when you graduate to l33t hax0r status, you can say .. "hey, .. I was pretty clever back in the day".

3. Im using it as one of my primary OS's. Who the hell wouldnt want to be like me? Are you kidding?

2. Did I mention the Wooley Mammoth?

1. I forget.

:p

think u ment 2k3 :p

i use 2k pro tweaked to adv server as my desktop os (only becouse i didnt wana dig out my adv server disk and make an updated one for sp4)

Joswin    25

I was over @ rage3d in the drivers section and Win2k3 came up (as it usually does) and this was the first post (but cliped for relivence).

Hey Guys

First off let me set some things stright and cover the issues ppl will post about

Windows Server 2003 is as admitted by MS on the phone a Workstation and Server OS, ANyone going to post "Its a Server OS" Can just stop right there

When asked how he came by this info, if he had rang the MS tech department or whatever he said..
Our Company In New Zealand Deals With The Head Of MS in NZ on a weekly basis. When i phoned and asked him MS position on where server 2k3 sat with them he said it was aimed as a server BUT they also consider it to be the most stable workstation they have when tuned today

*Shrugs* Dunno if there is any truth in that or if the heads of the NZ MS HQ are just fruit loops. ;)

PF Prophet    0

:) heh good one love that :D

my sold licences for web edition to a local graphix studio here becouse they had trobble with xp and there software and they wanted to move beyond 2k

so sall good :) ms even sent them the info on turning it into a full workstation LOL thats grate least i thought it was

Joswin    25

Yeah he did say that MS wont say this publically because of confusion and obviously the cost differences...

But it seems if you have it, use it. And if a company has the licenses then.... Still wouldnt really recommend it over XP though UNLESS someone had both as an option for no extra ?? outlay. I guess ur lucky if u work for a company that has these special licenses/deals:):) My cousin works for a uni and he gets copies of everything they have for free, has to hand them back when/if he leaves but in the mean time he has copies of everything he needs (and dosent need):D:D

Knight'    0

What MS should do is make a Windows XP Workstation Edition - one which is based on NT5.2 but without all the server extentions. Of course people will have confusion over XP Pro and XP Workstation... perhaps XP Workstation is for High End PCs?

Either way, I still use Windows Server 2003 - i'de never go back to XP, no matter what people say it makes a great workstation.

darkmark327    0
What MS should do is make a Windows XP Workstation Edition - one which is based on NT5.2 but without all the server extentions. Of course people will have confusion over XP Pro and XP Workstation... perhaps XP Workstation is for High End PCs?

Either way, I still use Windows Server 2003 - i'de never go back to XP, no matter what people say it makes a great workstation.

That'd be less of an upgrade than 98 -> me and everyone would b*tch about MS being greedy.

PF Prophet    0

think they should just put out xp se/2003 like they did with 98

from what i have been hearing alot of the changes done to 2k3 are gonna be in the sp2 when it finly comes out

maby thats changed but last i heard even gonna be a kernal update

we shal see still wouldnt give me a reasion to go back to xp since all those things some people need like a wizzard for everything

i dont i would rather do must stuff manualy then use a auto config wizzard