• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Using server 2003 as a workstation?

PF Prophet    0
okay... lets say this one last time...

IT'S A SERVER OS!!!

It doesn't manage memory any differently, tho it does handle drivers and multimedia differently. It was meant to be installed on a box that does NOT have games, apps, etc running on it ever beyond those involved in a client/server environment. there is a reason it's called 2003 -*SERVER*-

http://joshandbrandi.com/v3/pics/Funny%20P...ore/q3cdkey.jpg

sorry was re-reading this and had to quote this ideot

actuly they did improve the way 2k3 manages memory they did change that to make it more effecent

acctuly it dose have game and MM support but there just dissabled with the abuility to enable them with a slider and starting a service

if ms had intended for it to NEVER be used with d3d/ogl/MM they would have toatle removed them not just turned them off

i all of you who think "ITS NOT A WORKSTATION" think ur logic is flawless but ya know ur wrong its just a modifyed/updated XP made to run far more stable over LONGER time periods

agin they did NOT remove MM/DX/OGL support they just turned them off leaving it to the persion thats setting it up to enable it

verrrrrrrry easy to do such took me 5 min last time that was when i did it manualy

John    7
acctuly it dose have game and MM support but there just dissabled with the abuility to enable them with a slider and starting a service

if ms had intended for it to NEVER be used with d3d/ogl/MM they would have toatle removed them not just turned them off

yes, directx is included. no, they wouldn't have removed it because it would be a waste of time. microsoft uses a single codebase for windows. this means that normally the files for the workstation and server installations of windows are the same. look at windows 2000, they're the same thing. with xp, this changed a little because the server parts weren't finished by the time the workstation parts were. thus we now have windows 5.1 (which in workstation mode is xp) and windows 5.2 (which in server mode is server 2003). read into ntswitch/tweaknt and see how they work. all they do is change a few registry settings. microsoft wouldn't have removed directx in server 2003 because they'd have to add it back in for longhorn anyway... thus they just disable it expecting no one will enable it.

Steven    80

lol this thread is amazing...there's just so much ignorance from all the people who say xp is TOO BLOATED. :laugh:

Do you people even realize that the SERVER Operating System has about 5,000 More Features in it than the workstion (xp).

The idea of something being bloated for use none other than internet or games, should be pointed at Server 2003 and not XP.

You people are hiliarious. :laugh: :rofl:

The other funny thing is that, when windows 2000 server was around and windows 2000 professional was around is that nobody then wanted to use Windows 2000 Server as their os, they wanted to use 2000 Professional and not the Server.

AHAHAHAHA

I'm dying in laughter over there. :rofl:

You people have your heads on wrong. If you want something thats not bloated don't use something that is designed to have more features enabled over the one thats designed to have them disabled. :woot: :rofl:

The list of extra features is amazing in the Server OS.

WMS, IIS6.0; DFS, DNS, WINS. Group Policy.... Oh and the biggest one of all, ACTIVE DIRECTORY which I can say for sure, not many of you have 1 clue on how to administrate.

The list goes on and on and on...but yet Its Not Bloated at all as you say. :rofl:

Edited by xStainDx

best_uv_d_best    0
lol this thread is amazing...there's just so much ignorance from all the people who say xp is TOO BLOATED. :laugh:

Do you people even realize that the SERVER Operating System has about 5,000 More Features in it than the workstion (xp).

The idea of something being bloated for use non other than internet or games, should be pointed at Server 2003 and not XP.

You people are hiliarious. :laugh: :rofl:

THANK YOOOOOO!!!

xxdesmus    0

i've used it as a very nice workstation. so if anyone has a problem with that, well than that just sucks.

HellBender    0
i've used it as a very nice workstation. so if anyone has a problem with that, well than that just sucks.

Amen, brutha!

Seriously, a mod should close this thread.

insurektion    0

Run it as a workstation its great make sure none of the extra actual server services are running and its a nice little os. perfect for workstation. more stable than xp in some respects. def better mem managment.

volrathxp    0
The list of extra features is amazing in the Server OS.

WMS, IIS6.0; DFS, DNS, WINS. Group Policy.... Oh and the biggest one of all, ACTIVE DIRECTORY which I can say for sure, not many of you have 1 clue on how to administrate.

Each and every one of those is not installed in a base installation of the operating system.

IIS - Must be installed.

DFS - Must be installed.

DNS - Must be installed.

Windows Media Services - Must be installed.

WINS - Must be installed.

Active Directory - Must be installed. As well, Group Policies in a GPO sense are not available until AD is installed.

Yes the server OS does have more features in it and it is also a full minor revision number higher than XP as well (NT 5.2) but that does not make it bloated. ;)

xp1ode    5
Amen, brutha!

Seriously, a mod should close this thread.

Why should the thread be closed?? they have pretty much valid points and no one is acting like a child so why should the mods close the thread?? let them discuss becasue thats what threads are for now for people like you to be typing "close, close, close" in every thread. When someone starts acting like a child and the mods think is getting out of hand then let them decide, in the meantime you should stop spamming with your posts...

HellBender    0
Why should the thread be closed?? they have pretty much valid points and no one is acting like a child so why should the mods close the thread?? let them discuss becasue thats what threads are for now for people like you to be typing "close, close, close" in every thread. When someone starts acting like a child and the mods think is getting out of hand then let them decide, in the meantime you should stop spamming with your posts...

*bangs fists on the table* I WANT IT CLOOOSED!!! *runs off crying*

haha, no seriously. I just think that the points have been made, now all that's left are the flames and insults.

cpu killer    7

OMFG!!!

I cant believe this got so damn big!

Well, comes to show you ... never ask to run s2k3 as a workstation again, at least not on neowin :no:..

Hehe, oh well, had a good laugh, am installing server 2k3 as soon as i get my new HD :).

Thanks all!

snippet1    0
IT IS A SERVER OS. YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THAT.

You can disable the server services...

But yes, it certainly is a server os, and therefore won't run any better as az workstation. No point shelling out heaps of dough unless you actually need a server.

John    7
But yes, it certainly is a server os, and therefore won't run any better as az workstation. No point shelling out heaps of dough unless you actually need a server.

the thing is that 90% of the people on here asking how to get something to work aren't shelling out heaps of dough for it, they're pirating it. this is why i think threads asking how to do something on server 2003 are so pointless... besides, if you need to use a server, you know what you're doing and you won't have to ask about how to get something to work.

cpu killer    7

U guys should chill out, grab a frap..

Relax, lifes a big thing, dont be getting ****ed cause some ppl wanna pirate software, microsoft and alot of other software company already rich as hell, and ur probly not half as rich.

U think its rght MS can load us with alot of BS , get billions, and thats that? They wont care if a damn thousand ppl rip em off, they already got ENOUGH, its GREED, damn, dont be ****ing ignorant and stupid, or in that case, a jerk

So STFU, and live your own life.

We ask something, 2 things can occur, u answer, or not.

Why argue?

No use...

my thoughts...

Kernel    1

So your condoning piracy?

sanctified    1,220
So your condoning piracy?

no because we dont allow links to illegal software, we just can help and thats it, the fact is that you cant determine the procedence of the software, if this is really a problem for you then I recommend you to keep away from threads about windows 2003

PF Prophet    0
yes, directx is included. no, they wouldn't have removed it because it would be a waste of time. microsoft uses a single codebase for windows. this means that normally the files for the workstation and server installations of windows are the same. look at windows 2000, they're the same thing. with xp, this changed a little because the server parts weren't finished by the time the workstation parts were. thus we now have windows 5.1 (which in workstation mode is xp) and windows 5.2 (which in server mode is server 2003). read into ntswitch/tweaknt and see how they work. all they do is change a few registry settings. microsoft wouldn't have removed directx in server 2003 because they'd have to add it back in for longhorn anyway... thus they just disable it expecting no one will enable it.

yeah same code base but removing dx wouldnt be a chore

if they never inteneded for it to be used PERIOD they couldnt have left the option to have it PERIOD

ms dose that ;)

ForkliftDude    0

you aware that directx 8.1 is integrated into the windows codebase? meanwhile directx9 because of the longhorn development? your "it wouldnt be there if not intended" argument doesnt hold.

TranceSphere    0

:sleep:

LordHatrus    0

a Mod SHOULD close this thread.

Nothing wrong with server2003 as workstation...

of course, server2003 shouldn't actually be used as a server! (see sig)

Joseph B    37

Jesus christ...Take your piracy, and illegal software thoughts and leave, the door is open 24/7 bub come back when you learn what and what not to say.

best_uv_d_best    0

lol nice sig, tune ;)

Solarix    0
okay...  lets say this one last time...

IT'S A SERVER OS!!!

IT'S A OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

you can do whatever the hell you want to it for christs sakes who gives a damn what it is, you cal always make it something different, top being so god damn simple minded

best_uv_d_best    0

It is generically an operating system, but it is specifically a SERVER operating system.

Yes, i know... you can make anything into anything, but the whole point of buying OOTB solutions is so you don't need to... unless you're one of thoze w4r3z m0nk3ys who downloads everything because he/she thinks it makes them 1337.

r337 5p34k r0xxx.