Using server 2003 as a workstation?

I ran win2k3 as a workstation. Basically, it runs like XP. It IS XP but with all the server capabilities and certain services and directx disabled. It is POINTLESS. It does not run better. Its all in your head. Stick with XP. Also, win2k3 can give you major headaches when it comes time to install drivers. especially if theyre not WHQL certified for win2k3. There is one situtation in which doing win2k3 as a workstation can be useful. If you need to run ure pc as a server (ex. multiple sites in ISS) but you also need to do some workstation-type activities on it. Then again, it wouldnt be the greatest server if you're gonna hog up resources. So basically, if you're getting sick of XP: too bad. Its the latest workstation oriented version of windows. stick with it or go back to 2000. Or if you're getting sick of windows altogether try linux or some other *nix variant like FreeBSD. And if not: Got Mac?

Its not in my head, I get better benchmarks in 90% of all my games. they may not be MAJOR differences but they are noticable. So what if Direct X is turned off, there is a way to turn it on, so what if audio is diables by default, there is a way to turn it on. If it was not meant to be used then it would not have an option to turn on.

why this botters some people so much? personally I wouldnt use it a s a workstation but if some people use it then more power for them, its their choice and no one have the right to complian about them using a server os as a workstation, you are saying that is not intented as a workstation? neither linux and is widely used as one, period.

,Dec 24 2003, 11:09] why this botters some people so much? personally I wouldnt use it a s a workstation but if some people use it then more power for them, its their choice and no one have the right to complian about them using a server os as a workstation, you are saying that is not intented as a workstation? neither linux and is widely used as one, period.

::Counter Strike Voice:: Roger That :o

,Dec 24 2003, 16:09]why this botters some people so much? personally I wouldnt use it a s a workstation but if some people use it then more power for them, its their choice and no one have the right to complian about them using a server os as a workstation, you are saying that is not intented as a workstation? neither linux and is widely used as one, period.

YEA I M TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU MY FRIEND.

Hmm Strange...i thought after the last big flame thread,where we all had the opurtinuty to express our feelings sometimes with really bad way,we all put an end to this endless discussion,but no.

Some people still insist with stupid arguments to try to fill with guilties all the others exept theirselves.

Silly_walk, sorry to say that,but you are a moderator to this forum and i wrote to you once before that with the way you try to handle this situation,it really looks to me that modesty is something strange to you.

Someone said that neowin promotes with this way warez.So what we have to do ?Shall we have to start to attach with every post our certificates of authentication with the SN or Neowin must ask for them(certificates)after each registration or something like that?Pufffff this reminds me strange situations that i thought are belong to the past.

I dont believe that there are some young people with such rusted minds that comes from the dark past.What a hell !!! sarcasm-sarcasm-sarcasm...this is your alliance.Remember kids there are some doctors out there that can cure any phygological problem that you might have.Is the neowin the place that all the problematic network kids find something familiar or what?If so i dont want to be the part of it and i m sure that many have the same opinion.Do you want to be some elite or what?Do you know any of you how many years one man from philipines have to work to have one legal copy of the windows 2003.There is 2 words that fits exactly here but i m afraid if i spell that thing this place will be a living hell.But if you want to know the first word i m talking about, there is a song of country joe mcdonald ,he also was trying to spell that word with the help of the people in 1967 in a big concert,when he was singing against the Bietnam war.And when he found that he shout it so loudly that i could heard it even i was some thousands miles away and even i just was born.The second word its not so difficult.Is you

Silly_walk, sorry to say that,but you are a moderator to this forum and i wrote to you once before that with the way you try to handle this situation,it really looks to me that modesty is something strange to you.

What does modesty have to do with being sick and tired of people complaining that the software they didn't bother to learn to use won't run their AV or Partition Magic software?

So for which reason are you here if you are hate this you doing?

If people was like you and me probably there was no need for a forum like this one with 30000+ members.

I know there are the manuals,there is the google machine,there is the personal experience and so on and so on....I m not disagree with you,i never did actually.I just ask from you to distinguish the wrong behaviour of these stupid kids and i m waiting from you to act with the proper way at last,with the rights that your position gives to you.Think for a sec for god shakes you are a moderator in this place.Make us the favour and clean up this situation.Happy x-mas btw.

Member of the "If you're stupid enough to pay that much money for a server OS and use it as a workstation, more power to ya'" Alliance

I agree with St. Dark here. If you bought it you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

i traded for my currnt copy(orignal disk with lience)

and i have a full copy of SBS just waiting my a working key from ms should have that in a few days WOOOT

got it FREEEEEEE via an ms rep (voucher b4 relice got my copy in the mail and then a key that didnt work should have replacment key soon :) )

silly what hes trying to say (i think) is that you get involved and call people stupid when really thats not the point of a mod your here to uphold rules and help people NOT tell them there stupid

i agree as i post said that if you complane about getting nav2k3 to work on a server os you are truly an ideot

i didnt even try NAV i went strate to F-Prot updated the version i had to the latest (free) then installed it and off i went works grate no problems PERIOD

really people who **** and moan about not being able to use things like NAV or SmartGuart should just shut up and learn to deal

now people who bitch and moan about others using 2k3 as a WS should STFU and get a fing life

i have only asked like 2-3 questions that could have been considered stupid but back then it was no biggy becouse 2k3 was NEW and people wherent being pricks to those that wanted to use it as a WS

infact neowin's owen ws guide is what brought me here the first time :o omfg neowin promoted it as a WS

LOL well guys merry christmas im off to watch finding nemo with the fam ;)

I ran win2k3 as a workstation. Basically, it runs like XP. It IS XP but with all the server capabilities and certain services and directx disabled. It is POINTLESS. It does not run better. Its all in your head. Stick with XP. Also, win2k3 can give you major headaches when it comes time to install drivers. especially if theyre not WHQL certified for win2k3. There is one situtation in which doing win2k3 as a workstation can be useful. If you need to run ure pc as a server (ex. multiple sites in ISS) but you also need to do some workstation-type activities on it. Then again, it wouldnt be the greatest server if you're gonna hog up resources. So basically, if you're getting sick of XP: too bad. Its the latest workstation oriented version of windows. stick with it or go back to 2000. Or if you're getting sick of windows altogether try linux or some other *nix variant like FreeBSD. And if not: Got Mac?

you sir are a moron

to get xp to the point/speed/stab that 2k3 is after about 5 min of setup work takes at least 30 my self i would rather use the extra 25min to play games :)

2003 on a clean install is ok, way better than xp, but after a mod install disk i made with the services that i usually turn off, off by default no longer does it take any extra time, its just install and go. XP is too bloated in my opinion, dont get me wrong its a good OS just not for me. I mean i liked it but when 2k3 came out and i got my copy i used it and noticed a big diff in perf. i now use my xp cd as a coaster. lol

,Dec 24 2003, 09:09] why this botters some people so much?

Everyone needs somethng to bitch about, and this seems like the topic of the moment to bitch about, a few months ago it was to complain about all the Gant desktops, next month who knows...

another way to look at this is........people that get sick are NOT know it alls. They probably know about 60% of what is needed to know about W2k3. Its just a number guess but hey, you may be annoying to the people you ask your doubts about. See..newbies arent the only ones who can be annoying.

Plus...even if they knew everything about W2k3..they dont know everything about computers. You too have doubts and You too can be annoying so it would be nice to help out, just point them to a guide or something.

Besides, thats what forums were created for right? helping, not bitching. (well, there are some that were created for bitching)

(quote from creamhackered's sig)

Member of the "Windows 2003 isn't a workstation" Alliance

my response: it isnt a workstation its an operating system, lol a workstation is a stand alone computer not an OS

Plus...even if they knew everything about W2k3..they dont know everything about computers. You too have doubts and You too can be annoying so it would be nice to help out, just point them to a guide or something.

You don't know what you don't know. :)

lol. i dont know if you're with me or against me......but yeah whatever.

im just saying a single person cant know it all, and if they are all bitchin about newbies asking for help, i just hope they keep their mouths shut when those people themselves need help, no matter on what subject.

okay... lets say this one last time...

IT'S A SERVER OS!!!

It doesn't manage memory any differently, tho it does handle drivers and multimedia differently. It was meant to be installed on a box that does NOT have games, apps, etc running on it ever beyond those involved in a client/server environment. there is a reason it's called 2003 -*SERVER*-

http://joshandbrandi.com/v3/pics/Funny%20P...ore/q3cdkey.jpg

FFS Windows Server 2003 is NOT A Server OS Use Linux! :p

He can use windows 3.1 if he wan't it dun matter what ever he feels best with.