• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Using server 2003 as a workstation?

PF Prophet    0
That'd be less of an upgrade than 98 -> me and everyone would b*tch about MS being greedy.

umm its more like 98>98se ME was a downgrade from 98SE if anything

i hated them all but if i was stuck choosing a 9x based os i would take 98se over the others

darkmark327    0
umm its more like 98>98se ME was a downgrade from 98SE if anything

i hated them all but if i was stuck choosing a 9x based os i would take 98se over the others

Whether it was good or not is not my point, my point is that it was still an upgrade, and people complained that MS was trying to be greedy because it didn't offer much over 98. Obviously it sucked ass, but that's not relevant to what I was saying.

Anyway, you don't have to use the wizards you know.

semaja2.net    0

hey can i convert 2003 enterprise edition to a work station

Premgenius    27

Windows 2003 is a server OS why dont people get this

rezza    1

*dons asbestos suit*

sure, why the hell not, it can be just as effective a workstation OS as XP. if you want to do it for the enjoyment and challenge of it, then go ahead... if you want to do it because its the most recent version of windows and you're going to post loads of questions about it in the forums then don't bother... some people get really annoyed and worked up about this issue for no apparent reason.

theh0g    0

semaja: this has been discussed here before and the answer is YES and it works great. Do a search on forum or look in Neowin's articles, there is a special one just for that.

mdsll    0

Yay i'm in a Windows 2003 Server as a Workstation Thread!

Hi Mom!

+BudMan    3,459

ARrrggghhhh!!!! Could we please just drop this - its been done to DEATH!!!

Dude - if you have like $2000 to spend on your OS you surf and listen to music with, sure do whatever you want with it! Sure seems NON cost effective to me, but hey its your money.

PF Prophet    0

yes works grate

but next time plz search on the subject these flame wars are well OLD

Schmoove    0
ARrrggghhhh!!!! Could we please just drop this - its been done to DEATH!!!

Dude - if you have like $2000 to spend on your OS you surf and listen to music with, sure do whatever you want with it!  Sure seems NON cost effective to me, but hey its your money.

Not everybody legally buys his OS-es :ninja:

Though I got Windows 2003 Server Enterprise (I believe) on student discount for exactly $0.... so whatever I use it for, you bet it is cost effective :happy:

Jason    5

And why do you need Enterprise version ? what do you need of this version that standard won't give you or even XP ?

shermang    0
Yay i'm in a Windows 2003 Server as a Workstation Thread!

Hi Mom!

Hay guys, what's goin on in this thread :cool:

Oh, and so that my post is totally worthwhile,

It can. :)

Xahid    5,326
And why do you need Enterprise version ? what do you need of this version that standard won't give you or even XP ?

Experience and Satisfaction.

Jelly2003    2

Yes you can use 2003 as a workstation, although I find XP Pro to be far better workstation material.

Honestly I dont know why people take such offence to Windows 2003 being used as a workstation, WHO CARES??? HOW DOES IT AFFECT YOU???? Perhaps their penis shrinks every time someone installs it as a workstation

uniacidz    8

Sure it can be used as a workstation. In fact works great.

And Neobonds Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide is great.

Funny how all the people bitch that it cant be a workstation guide and yet Neobond posts a guide about it.

rezza    1
Perhaps their penis shrinks every time someone installs it as a workstation

it would certainly explain a lot...

dougkinzinger    0
Windows 2003 is a server OS why dont people get this

I know. Script kiddies and n00bs want to be l33t and run 2003 as a workstation. Tools.

Jelly2003    2
I know.  Script kiddies and n00bs want to be l33t and run 2003 as a workstation.  Tools.

Perhaps they want experience using a server OS. Did you think of it that way?

If you want a job in IT then what harm can it do to give 2003 a go.

Win 2003 isnt meant for workstations, its tweaked for servers, and it has very little hardware support compared to XP, thats why I dont use it. But the 180 day trial does give you the ability to play with it's power tools, and it allows you to get an idea of how a server OS operates.

Its a good move to try it, I dont think many people would like to keep it, but at least they can add "Windows Server 2003 Experience" to their resume.

semaja2.net    0
Perhaps they want experience using a server OS. Did you think of it that way?

If you want a job in IT then what harm can it do to give 2003 a go.

Win 2003 isnt meant for workstations, its tweaked for servers, and it has very little hardware support compared to XP, thats why I dont use it. But the 180 day trial does give you the ability to play with it's power tools, and it allows you to get an idea of how a server OS operates.

Its a good move to try it, I dont think many people would like to keep it, but at least they can add "Windows Server 2003 Experience" to their resume.

excatly i want to l;earn it but i also want to keep the server side of 2003

NinjaOfLove    0

Only a total virgin would care either way.

John    7

there's nothing wrong with learning, but if you're installing it just to use the newest version of windows, that's what makes you an idiot.

now please, let this topic die. this cat (thread) is already past its ninth life :pinch:

+BudMan    3,459

I am guessing its the Support for 32Gig of Ram, or maybe the 8-way smp. Most likely the box he is using as a workstation has 32gig of ram and 8 cpu's :)

Or maybe its the Hot Swap memory feature - maybe he is swaping in 16Gig when he plays games - for that added KICK! Or maybe its the WSRM features - you know when he launches UnReal or SimCity, he wants to make sure it is limited to only using say 2 of the 8 cpu's and MAXes out at 12GIG - you know you need the rest of the hardware resources to call up neowin, and winamp, etc..

Or it maybe its the need for the running of a Terminal Session Directory - so that his users can more easily reconnect to a specific session in his load balanced Terminal Server farm!!

These features are just not available in the Standard version!! ;)

Steven    80
I am guessing its the Support for 32Gig of Ram, or maybe the 8-way smp. Most likely the box he is using as a workstation has 32gig of ram and 8 cpu's :)

Or maybe its the Hot Swap memory feature - maybe he is swaping in 16Gig when he plays games - for that added KICK! Or maybe its the WSRM features - you know when he launches UnReal or SimCity, he wants to make sure it is limited to only using say 2 of the 8 cpu's and MAXes out at 12GIG - you know you need the rest of the hardware resources to call up neowin, and winamp, etc..

Or it maybe its the need for the running of a Terminal Session Directory - so that his users can more easily reconnect to a specific session in his load balanced Terminal Server farm!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DELTA75329    0
I am guessing its the Support for 32Gig of Ram, or maybe the 8-way smp.  Most likely the box he is using as a workstation has 32gig of ram and 8 cpu's :)

0wn3d.. :whistle:

Good job BudMan, but are you sure that post doesn't belong in the jokes forum?

It made laugh out loud. :p