I like that, annoyed me with Fallout New Vegas that you got special weapons (Like a grenade launcher) if you pre-ordered it from the right place.

Or if you got the Ultimate Edition, it gave you all of them at once. It was a nice little bonus, but I felt overpowered in the early game, and felt that the game's carefully crafted difficulty pre-Vegas was defeated. Of course there's the JSawyer mod that takes them away and stashes them all over the area, but I like shooting more than I like reloading so...~

This game is probably the only one that will challenge The Witcher 3 for me.

On the fence about Witcher 3. I've played the second one up to the first boss. I like the lore and the gameplay is okay, but the fights feel like I'm playing Guitar Hero with the controller, blindfolded. It's not QTEs but it may as well be. Geralt is a master of all three major RPG classes. He's primarily a fighter, but he's also a mage, a potion maker, and a bit of a rogue and, when he wants to be, diplomat as well. Controlling him in a fight requires mastery of the first three. So the game is a bit hard, I find. But I watched my brother in law absolutely fail at the gryffin fight, and it didn't look entirely unreasonable. Looked kind of like a Zelda fight. Dodge the dive bomb, and whale on it with, I'm guessing, the silver sword. Probably will get it, CDPR is one of the good developers that gamers should support on principle...

Or if you got the Ultimate Edition, it gave you all of them at once. It was a nice little bonus, but I felt overpowered in the early game, and felt that the game's carefully crafted difficulty pre-Vegas was defeated. Of course there's the JSawyer mod that takes them away and stashes them all over the area, but I like shooting more than I like reloading so...~

On the fence about Witcher 3. I've played the second one up to the first boss. I like the lore and the gameplay is okay, but the fights feel like I'm playing Guitar Hero with the controller, blindfolded. It's not QTEs but it may as well be. Geralt is a master of all three major RPG classes. He's primarily a fighter, but he's also a mage, a potion maker, and a bit of a rogue and, when he wants to be, diplomat as well. Controlling him in a fight requires mastery of the first three. So the game is a bit hard, I find. But I watched my brother in law absolutely fail at the gryffin fight, and it didn't look entirely unreasonable. Looked kind of like a Zelda fight. Dodge the dive bomb, and whale on it with, I'm guessing, the silver sword. Probably will get it, CDPR is one of the good developers that gamers should support on principle...

The latest few patches improve the controls a fair bit. The alternative control movement scheme makes Geralt react a lot more responsively. Previously he had a weighted feel to movement, which was suppose to be realistic but actually ended up being annoying. I'm doing my death march playthrough and it's really just a lot of dodging and using igni (fire sign).

So I may pick up Fallout 4 after reviews are in, but I don't really have a preference for which console to get it for. I'm not going to get it for the PC until a GOTY edition is released and goes on sale during Steam sale. So it'll be a while.

Are there any differences in content now or in the future between the Xbone and PS4 version?

One thing to note is that FONV had a way better story line and better large quests than FO3. NV wasn't developed by Bethesda, so I don't expect a good story.

Are there any differences in content now or in the future between the Xbone and PS4 version?

No exclusives this time round, only difference is that Microsoft worked with them to support mods but they didn't have support from Sony yet. (this was mentioned in one of the e3 interviews)

Pip-Boy app is available on all app stores as of last night, unable to test it myself as it closes itself. :(

It contains the world map with start location, missile defence game, radios and the other normal pip-boy features.

• Like 2

Pip-Boy app is available on all app stores as of last night

And by "all app stores", you have to say "except Windows"

One thing to note is that FONV had a way better story line and better large quests than FO3. NV wasn't developed by Bethesda, so I don't expect a good story.

Yeah I doubt the storytelling will be on the same level as NV, sadly. Obsidian are just better at crafting a story.

Every time I see an advertisement or loyalty program or whatnot, seeing just the Apple and Google app store buttons but no Windows... it hurts just a bit of my soul.

• Like 3

And by "all app stores", you have to say "except Windows"

which to be honest is kinda funny since MS is their marketing partner

edit: on the fallout offiical Facebook, WP comes later today

Edited by soniqstylz

I hope there is a fov slider in the graphics options.

on PC you can type fov 90 (or whatever you want) in dev console if it doesn't have a slider, this will disable achievements for current session on steam though.

• Like 1

on PC you can type fov 90 (or whatever you want) in dev console if it doesn't have a slider, this will disable achievements for current session on steam though.

I'm aware of that. But in previous fallout and elder scrolls games that caused a few other issues.

It's a new graphics engine so I was hoping they added some more options to go along with it.

So I may pick up Fallout 4 after reviews are in, but I don't really have a preference for which console to get it for. I'm not going to get it for the PC until a GOTY edition is released and goes on sale during Steam sale. So it'll be a while.

Just get it for the PC, dude. Fallout games have always been meant to be played on the PC.

• Like 1

Yeah, if modders want more of the share they should argue for a better deal from Bethesda (or such), problem with the original paid mod attempt is that it wasn't the modders who were complaining about the money :laugh:

hey I'm sure some of the modders would've loved it.  I was just like "I'm paying who for what now?  ...no"

Sadly I'll probably have to wait til late December or next year to pick this up.

The modders behind the main UI overhaul mod loved the idea, they were one of the first groups to really jump on it. Argument was that they had spent so much time on it, that being paid for it would let them do it as more than just a hobby or part time deal.

So of course the paid version got pirated, very quickly. The modders even released numbers showing that only like 1% of users had ever donated during the entire time the mod was available.

Yeah, the cut wasn't great, but Valve was taking their normal cut for anything on Steam, the amount modders was getting was set by Bethesda.

It won't be any different with mods on PSN/XBL, the amount modders actually receive will still be set by Bethesda.

About paid modding and cuts. Not sure if I shared this before, but the Xbox 360 had paid mods in Rockband 3. The paid mods were, of course, limited to custom songs. Which made the mods limited so they could test the ecosystem. The cut was one third Microsoft, one third game developer (Harmonix), and one third modder. Since most modders were "authoring groups," most of these split the one third due them between themselves and the band. So if a song went for 99¢ and ten were sold, Microsoft gets $3.30, Harmonix gets $3.30, the authoring group gets $1.65, and the band gets $1.65. I assume it would be the same for Fallout 4 mods. If Bethesda has any control of the modders' payouts, it will come out of their share, not Microsoft's (or Sony's, assuming Sony does the same). So Bethesda could take nothing and give the modder 66%, and that's the best the modder is going to get. Bethesda will have no more to work with than 66%, of that I am almost certain.

I worked with one of the authoring groups as a beta tester when Rockband was a thing, and I can also tell you making a mod will, alone, not be enough to get it on the consoles. If there is a swastika in your mod, anywhere, like if there's a rock in a field of rocks and you kick over a certain rock in particular and there's eight worms in a swastika pattern, your mod is automatically disqualified. I'm sure most of us would agree that's a good thing. Sex and nudity are also not allowed, so any of those nude patches/skins, Lover's Lab, etc., won't be available to console gamers. And that is just Microsoft, but I am sure Bethesda.net will take the rules of BOTH Microsoft AND Sony and enforce them on Bethesda.net mods, just so both consoles can have the same content. Of course those of us on PC will be able to use any mods we like, and of course this is all strictly hypothetical until the Creation Kit for Fallout 4 comes out NEXT YEAR.

That being said. We are now one day away. And I'm not sure if I've said, but I'm a little salty about having pre-ordered the Pip-Boy Edition and not getting to play at midnight like those who only paid a third what I paid. So first I have to wait for the box to be delivered, and then while the disc will install 4GB, I will have to download the rest. Amazon says Tuesday "by 8pm"; however, they also said they would ship on the 6th, and they still haven't shipped. So maybe they haven't got it yet, and will overnight it starting tom... I mean today now. I was really hoping to maybe get it a day early so I could have it installed and then be able to play at midnight. However, I have mitigated some of my pain by finding a Steam preload on an illicit site. I doubt the files are any different from what legit Steam preloaders get. So I am thinking, I install from the disc, I enter my key, I begin downloading, I find where the downloads are going, I pause the download/quit Steam, copy the download over, restart Steam, and then it finishes up. Worst case scenario it rejects the files and I download the 24GB overnight, but I think I now have a chance of playing on release day. I'll be 20 hours behind the people who paid much less, but it's 20 hours at most.

One day away. Can you taste it yet?

So I am thinking, I install from the disc, I enter my key, I begin downloading, I find where the downloads are going, I pause the download/quit Steam, copy the download over, restart Steam, and then it finishes up. Worst case scenario it rejects the files and I download the 24GB overnight,

You can use the install from disc option to save time if your pre-load swap doesn't work. Link

Yes I know, I will certainly be taking advantage of this. I'm guessing the pre-loaders are getting everything but what's on the disc, since 24GB download + 4GB capacity of DVD-ROM single layer (rounded) equals the 28GB stated size. Well, that's the size of the Xbox One version. But the preload I downloaded was 24GB.

Thanks for the clarification in any case. (BTW — is your forum handle a reference to the Angel Heart film/Robert De Niro's character?)