I've gone with 3339433

Charisma has a big effect this time around with speech as there is no separate speech skill. There is a book at the start of the game that gives you +1 special point, which I'll put into science to get to 5, and then a bobblehead very early on to get perception up to 4.

My name is on the list of spoken names as well :D Fallout was always more about conversations for me than weapons, so I prefer to talk my way through things.

Yea thanks. I stayed up last night just to get it up and running, and yea 4K is available. Though it was not set as default for me when that is my native resolution. 

Yeah, it defaulted to 1920x1080 for me, I bumped it to 2560x1440 because even my 980 can't really do 4K gaming (And my GPU has a firmware bug that means I'm limited to 30fps at 4K, need to stop being lazy and get it fixed)

Mods for the pc version are already rolling in and one of the most important is here already:

Fallout 4 Configuration Tool

Disable the intro animation, turn off mouse acceleration and smoothing and set your fov and resolution to anything you like without having to edit .ini files.

I honestly don't get why in 2015 (almost 2016) mouse acceleration is still a thing. I'm not sure what purpose it serves besides annoying people and why it's on by default and there is no option to toggle it on or off in the actual game.

Working for me on Windows 10.

It does have a few kinks to it that need to be worked out though. Unlocked fps breaks lock picking (set vsync in graphics card settings to fix) and for some reason it sets lighting to medium instead of whatever you've chosen in your graphics settings. So beware of those issues.

Many negative reviews on steam. Not sure if this is the game we've been waiting for...

Steam still says "mostly positive" for over all rating. I'd be concerned if it was overwhemling negative like Arkham Knight.

At any rate just like with movies I'd rather find out for myself if I like it rather than rely on reviews.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why. The game is fantastic. It's not a looker (especially on consoles) but the gameplay is great. If you like Bethesda-style RPGs. I bought it for the PS4 on my way home last night, and ended up playing all night. literally. I didn't go to sleep last night.

I started playing after dinner, and had no idea what was in store for me when I got to the settlement building stuff. It's honestly extremely overwhelming, but quite fun.

Steam still says "mostly positive" for over all rating. I'd be concerned if it was overwhemling negative like Arkham Knight.

At any rate just like with movies I'd rather find out for myself if I like it rather than rely on reviews.

I'm not sure why. The game is fantastic. It's not a looker (especially on consoles) but the gameplay is great. If you like Bethesda-style RPGs. I bought it for the PS4 on my way home last night, and ended up playing all night. literally. I didn't go to sleep last night.

I started playing after dinner, and had no idea what was in store for me when I got to the settlement building stuff. It's honestly extremely overwhelming, but quite fun.

Most people who complain seem to be fans of the previous games. The general consensus is that the RPG elements are dumbed down/limited compared to the previous games, as well as simplified conversation options, and that most of the attention is focused on action.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. I'll see for myself once I get it, but 60 bucks is too steep for me right now. I'm still working on part 3 and I have New Vegas unplayed & ready in my Steam library. No rush.

I honestly don't get why in 2015 (almost 2016) mouse acceleration is still a thing. I'm not sure what purpose it serves besides annoying people and why it's on by default and there is no option to toggle it on or off in the actual game.

Because it's actually fairly desirable? You want fine mouse movements to result in a small view change in game, but fast movement to be exaggerated and result in the view spinning around.

The only time it should mess up is when the devs read input wrong and get the mouse acceleration from the OS as well.

Well the UI is terrible. The key for throwing explosives is the same as melee. And AI has not improved from FO3 - raiders forget about the gunshots they heard in a few seconds for example.

You can't throw explosives in VATS like you can FO3.

Lack of unified shadows is a disappointment - the engine still renders different shadows for different things from the looks of it.

Well the UI is terrible. The key for throwing explosives is the same as melee. And AI has not improved from FO3 - raiders forget about the gunshots they heard in a few seconds for example.

AI handling of audio cues has been a sore spot for decades.  The number of games you can shoot the walls right next to an enemy and they won't even notice?  Classy.

The latest Thief at least tried.

Is this game dx9 again?  There seems to be no info anywhere on the topic unless I missed something.  (And yes, I'll buy it either way.  I'm just not sure when as my finances are pretty limited atm.)

I'm having fun with Fallout 4. Comes a long way in terms of buggy-ness from what I saw in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, even after those games got patched up. I can alt-tab in the game and not have it crash for example. It's quick to get in and out of the game, quick to load up (quicker if you disable the intro screen). Animations are a lot smoother than any of the previous games. It just runs a lot better.

The UI has room for improvement, but if you've played Fallout 3 and NV, it shouldn't come as a big difference. Terminals I'm not enjoying, but I really like what they did with containers/loot setup, keeping you from going in and out of every single container. The story is also pretty awesome thus far, and definitely not a heavy burden to start as previous games have been from Bethesda. (Fallout 3 and Skyrim were pretty bad, where as Oblivion did a good job quickly leading you into combat and gameplay)

As for what people are bitching about... I'm not going to say that there isn't room for improvement, but you have to consider that some of these jackasses are rating the game really low because they're anxious and throwing a fit. Keep in mind that, just like with Skyrim and other games, you'll run into these same neckbeards who will drop 200+ hours into a game, play every last bit of content/DLC, mod the hell out of it while doing all sorts of replays, but STILL go online to tell you the game stinks or how it's not as good as a two decade old game and how people shouldn't waste their money. Take what they say with a huge grain of salt. If you like the Fallout series, I see little reason not to pick this title up. It is, from the modern take on Fallout at least, exactly what one should expect to see in the line of a new Fallout game. If you're looking for the Fallout / Fallout 2 type of sequel, Wasteland 2 might be a better bet.

As for bugs, the only bugs I've seen thus far (aside from Bloatflies and Radroaches) is a slight animation glitch on dialog scenes. Not really disruptive, just something that needs fixing.

My setup: i7-4790K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 with latest drivers.

• Like 1

Well Fallout 4 smashed steams concurrent user record taking that achievement from GTA V. So they're doing something right.

Anyways. I've encountered a few bugs so far. Some terminals where I got stuck and had to do a quick load or a few random crashes in the area of, I think it was Concord? The game would close and go straight to desk top, no idea what caused it as it wasn't repeatable yet happened 3 or 4 times in different places within that area of the map.

Beyond that I'm enjoying it so far, playing on the second to highest difficulty it's really challenging, which I like. It seems I might actually have to put some thought into putting points into perks and special stats so I don't gimp my character and ruin my play through.

You can't throw explosives in VATS like you can FO3.

Lack of unified shadows is a disappointment - the engine still renders different shadows for different things from the looks of it.

Have you got a screenshot? I haven't see that mismatch.

Unless they're doing a odd optimization thing, it'd be odd to mix and match PBR and non-PBR rendering (They they use entirely different types of textures)

I am playing the game maxed out (except for Godsrays) in 4K and it's nice and smooth. Very impressed that I was able to run it. I have a 980TI but even that has issues running some things in 4K.

I am playing on Normal which is a challenge for me, so far so good. It is a challenge because in the past I would load a trainer for most games. Trying not to do that anymore.

Only 7 hours into the game, not even at Diamond City yet, but seems you need to get there to move forward anywhere else sadly.

I am having a serious case of disappearing stim packs and weapons. Anyone else?

Have you got a screenshot? I haven't see that mismatch.

Unless they're doing a odd optimization thing, it'd be odd to mix and match PBR and non-PBR rendering (They they use entirely different types of textures)

If I notice it again I will take a screenshots.

I am playing the game maxed out (except for Godsrays) in 4K and it's nice and smooth. Very impressed that I was able to run it. I have a 980TI but even that has issues running some things in 4K.

I am playing on Normal which is a challenge for me, so far so good. It is a challenge because in the past I would load a trainer for most games. Trying not to do that anymore.

Only 7 hours into the game, not even at Diamond City yet, but seems you need to get there to move forward anywhere else sadly.

If you go south of the corvega plant you should get a radio signal that opens up one of the factions.

Get a nice selection of weapons for finishing the quest too.

Is there cybernetic implants in Fallout 4? Trying to remain spoiler free here but at some point in the main story line you come across some cybernetics so I was wondering if we can get them on our characters as well?