Can someone confirm that you can't remove things like scopes from weapons (without first building (with resources) another attachment and replacing the scope with it)?

Anyway disappearing stimpacks and guns are the deal breakers for me. I will wait for patches and start over.

I would like to see that, the ability to build a scope (Or other part, etc.) once and add/remove it from weapons, and if you scrap a weapon you gets its mods in your inventory (Scrap a crappy sniper rifle to get a sniper scope for another weapon, etc.)

My experience with the game has been mostly positive, minus a couple hiccups. First, I wish they would have published the size of the Pip-boy enclosure for phones. My phone has the same screen size as the Galaxy S5 (5") and less than the iPhone 6+ (5.5"), but my phone (HTC One M8) doesn't fit. Probably because of the speakers. Of course, had I known my phone would not fit, I would have still bought it, because it's still really cool. I can get some prepaid Verizon LG POS for $20 on Amazon, or I can get a 2013 Moto X on Swappa for closer to $120. The advantage with the latter being that it has a SIM card slot, so it could be a bona fide backup phone. Though I cannot afford it at the time. I would only do this if I were going to cosplay as a Vault Dweller. I really have no interest in the whole "second screen experience" thing. Honestly I think it's crap. Just my opinion.

Also, when installing from the disc, it doesn't show you what Steam account is actually logged in. You put the disc in, an installer comes up, and then it pops up asking for the Steam key. Well, Extra Life was just this past weekend, and my wife was logged in. So now my wife owns Fallout 4. Also, I sank about 3 hours of the game in on her account. Had I realized sooner, I would have turned on family sharing and played on mine. But no, I'm playing on hers. Getting her all the achievements first. I don't really care that much, it's not like I can't play it at all, but for aesthetics purposes...

As for the game itself, I'm loving it. With Fallout 3, I got to Megaton and got bored. It took me a while to give it another shot and then realize there was so much more to offer. I know this also happened with New Vegas, but I forget where. Before Novac for sure, because the game really gets good at Novac (not New Vegas like some say — and New Vegas is not hard to reach from Novac anyway). When I got 4, I was actually sick. Woke up feeling like crap, even though I had a big Amazon box on my doorstep. But I fought through the illness and powered through getting the Minutemen back to Sanctuary before calling it quits. But I kept coming back at it whenever I could. Story wise without spoiling anything, I just did the memory thing. Haven't joined the Brotherhood of Steel, and they seem to be the bad guys based on the launch trailer. I'm not sure about the Institute yet, though I haven't found them.

I hope we can keep this thread spoiler free. I think I've done a good job, when sharing my progress here and with friends, in avoiding spoilers. But apparently there are some griefers going around Reddit (possibly elsewhere) spoiling the ending. A lot of us guessed the Vault 111 story and how you're the Sole Survivor, more or less. And I have guesses, and I'm sure others who haven't completed it, do as well, about how it's going to turn out. Right or wrong they're best kept under the hat, though.

Can someone confirm that you can't remove things like scopes from weapons (without first building (with resources) another attachment and replacing the scope with it)?

Anyway disappearing stimpacks and guns are the deal breakers for me. I will wait for patches and start over.

I don't think you can just straight up remove mods unfortunately. The game has to have something to put in there in their place. I feel as though the default part, or the first one in the list should always be free to remedy that but I guess the folks at Bethesda felt otherwise.

I would like to see that, the ability to build a scope (Or other part, etc.) once and add/remove it from weapons, and if you scrap a weapon you gets its mods in your inventory (Scrap a crappy sniper rifle to get a sniper scope for another weapon, etc.)

You can add/remove mods to weapons as long as you have another mod to put in it's place. Typically when I do this I go for the first one in the list some times it's free but usually only takes a screw or two and some steal to build.

Doing this you can build some really nice legendary weapons with mods that you can't typically build if your gun nut or science perks aren't at a high enough levels.

I'm running two separate games: one melee guy, and one sniper.

Both are fun, but I'm probably enjoying the sniper more. He's built with high Perception and Agility, so V.A.T.S. is king. With my melee guy, I just don't have the action points to make V.A.T.S. feasible, and melee is wicked slow.

@dragontology I'm kind of the opposite:  I've put 35-40 hours in already and feel like the whole Commonwealth is Megaton -- bland characters without much story.  Maybe I haven't traveled fare enough south, or just did too manymany Brotherhood/Minutemen quests, but there's no Utobitha, no fight out between "super heroes", no guy with a tree growing out of his head, no Tenpenny, no House, no Three Dog.  No dark out tongue in cheek humor.  Just content -- " go here and kill them " over and over.  Maybe that will change as things go on our I get new companions (so far just Dogmeat, Danse, Piper, Valentine, Codsworth, and the Minuteman dude

I was disappointed when I looked at the voice cast and did not see Erik Todd Dellums, aka Three Dog. Especially after he hinted about doing a "Fallout thing," I think it was in January or something.

35-40 hours? That's insane. I have maybe ten hours in.

Watching the launch trailer again, I wish the intro would have gone a different way, in Vault 101. How cool would it have been if both parents survived, and you could play both of them? Each one has their own set of SPECIALs and perks, and they level up independently of one another, but share experience somehow. And switching your main character is as easy as going to your designated "home" and talking to the other person? Man that would be cool. I hope there will be a similar mod. If not the spouse, maybe the other followers. Give them each some starting perks to make things interesting, but let the player level them up, choose their stats, and play as them. Maybe leave the Sole Survivor and go Nick/Dogmeat, Preston/Codsworth, Nick/Piper, etc.

Speaking of mods, someone on Reddit called for a mod to make a special suit of power armor modeled after Alphonse Elric's armor on Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a cool suit of armor, and I can't find any kind of armor it closely resembles. It's a Japanese series, but it takes place in Germany in an alternate reality where alchemy is a legit science. Though unfortunately it's just magic on the show. FMA content has been light at best in previous Bethesda games, so I hope that changes this time around. There's certainly some opportunity there. Me, I just want the dog. So I'd have to make a melee character, and name him Edward, because that's about all the dog knows how to say. (For non-fans, the show at one point features a dog that has been alchemically merged with a child, so it can speak a few lines. It's ultimately a tragic character which doesn't survive long.)

There are some existing mods out now. And if you want to watch the intro — the live-action scene between starting a new game and customizing your character — this is the best one I've found, with no watermark. Or maybe it has one and it's hiding behind the channel logo. I wish Bethesda would put out an official 1080p (or 4K source) video. I will most likely make my own. Or maybe it's possible to convert Blink (.bik) video. I don't know. Surprisingly it's still a thing, why they don't just use MP4 is beyond me.

@dragontology I'm kind of the opposite:  I've put 35-40 hours in already and feel like the whole Commonwealth is Megaton -- bland characters without much story.  Maybe I haven't traveled fare enough south, or just did too manymany Brotherhood/Minutemen quests, but there's no Utobitha, no fight out between "super heroes", no guy with a tree growing out of his head, no Tenpenny, no House, no Three Dog.  No dark out tongue in cheek humor.  Just content -- " go here and kill them " over and over.  Maybe that will change as things go on our I get new companions (so far just Dogmeat, Danse, Piper, Valentine, Codsworth, and the Minuteman dude

The quest writing is pretty weak. Standard Bethesda stuff. It's no surprise New Vegas had the best writing under Obsidian.

Overall gameplay and exploring are fun, but if you come into FO4 off the back of The Witcher 3 like me the gulf in writing skills are clearly noticeable. The engine itself still reeks of last gen port, with all the loading and general lack of meaningful NPC variety/populating. 

I haven't read this whole thread both because it's long and I'm afraid of spoilers so I'm going to ask a question if those in the know what to clue me in please reply directly so I get a forum notice:

I think I'm missing something on how "Armor" works.  So far it seems BY FAR my best option have been the all-in-one "outfits" and the piece-meal armor pieces are garbage.  You can't craft with the "outfits" though but unless you have high crafting skills the piece-meal armor is still worse.  I went from the Drifter Outfit -> Spike Armor -> Cage Armor and nothing I find pieces for even comes close to the 24-27 protection it provides and as far as I can tell it doesn't give me a stealth are attribute penalty or anything.  Am I missing something here?  Armor crafting seems to be a complete waste of time/perks unlike weapon crafting which I do A LOT.

I'm only level 12 so maybe things change later as I'm VERY early in the game.  I haven't even gotten to Diamond City yet I'm just running missions for the Minutemen and Brotherhood atm.

I wonder what people see in this game ... Old Fallout 2 was much better than 4... 

Fallout 3 and 4 are entirely different kinds of games from Fallout 1 and 2.  They just share the same setting.  If you like Fallout 1 and 2 then you'll probably enjoy Wasteland 2 Director's Cut as it's a similar kind of game.  I personally enjoy both types of games.  Fallout 3 and 4 are essentially Sci-Fi Elder Scrolls games using the Fallout setting/lore.

• Like 1

just decided to grab this game and roll my first character.

should i go heavy intelligence or idio savant (luck at 5 when starting out)

You clearly play very differently than me.  Luck I only put 2 in as I find it to be the least important.  I know it's personal preference but I just don't like the idea of making my build based off stuff just randomly happening for me.

Intelligence is good and I'd highly recommend starting with at least 5.  That way you can get the Scrapper perk ASAP which REALLY helps with crafting.  Hacker is also below that which I consider an essential skill and Gun Nut for weapons crafting.  You can always raise it later for Science! and such as you don't really need those at the start.

As noted by trag3dy you can already basically do that.  You just have to replace the parts you want to keep with whatever the cheapest crap piece is for that weapon.  I just made a huge find in that way myself.  I have a .308 bolt-action pipe sniper rifle I've been using that's maxed out in upgrades that don't require a perk.  I hit the jackpot in my book when i saw a vendor had a silenced .308 bolt-action pistol.  So I bought that, removed the silencer, scrapped the pistol, and put the silencer on my sniper rifle.  I was only level 11 at the time (I just hit 12 now) and haven't even put one point in gun nut yet so getting a silencer that requires gun nut 2 was a HUGE find for me.

Similarly my 10mm pistol has a compensator, a rapid reload clip, and other mods I can't craft myself but I've removed from loot to build up the starting pistol.

It IS annoying though when you don't have the screws or oil or whatever to make the base item so you can take the one you want off.  I have a little storage box right next to each crafting station where I put the weapon when that happens so I can go back and take it off later when I get the required resources.

• Like 1

Can't decide whether to buy this game :( it looks cool but I only get a few hours here and there to play video games and I've seen some people saying they have spent 20+ hours just building a settlement or exploring.

Damn, so taking parts off weapons does keep them? I thought you just got the resources back.

I shouldn't have been scrapping all those random weapons.

Edit: ^ I've been playing about 3-4 hours a day, that's enough to explore and build stuff, while get questing done. I don't expect to finish this game for months.

Damn, so taking parts off weapons does keep them? I thought you just got the resources back.

I shouldn't have been scrapping all those random weapons.

Edit: ^ I've been playing about 3-4 hours a day, that's enough to explore and build stuff, while get questing done. I don't expect to finish this game for months.

Nope. There is an entire mods section in your pipboy and vendors can sell actual mods too.

As for crafting and building materials. As you get further into the game you'll eventually have more than you know what to do with. Also you can tag materials for search and when you're out playing you'll see items with a magnifying glass icon next their name indicating it can be used as a tagged crafting material.

All that aside anyone notice how bad the AI is? Specifically for companions? I wanted to make Cait a melee brawler companion but in the 2 hours or so I played with her she spent more time running into walls than anything else. Maybe it's not the AI exactly, but the path finding? I guess they are more or less the same thing.

On the other hand Paladin Danse recks face. He's too strong often as not killing most things before I can even get a shot in and he's pretty much indestructible in his power armor. I've seen him take a super mutant nuke to the fact and survive easily. He doesn't need good path finding to be effective. If there is anything in this game that is over powered it's Paladin Danse. If anyone is struggling at any specific spot in the game recruit this guy and go afk while he kills everything in sight. 

All that aside anyone notice how bad the AI is? Specifically for companions? I wanted to make Cait a melee brawler companion but in the 2 hours or so I played with her she spent more time running into walls than anything else. Maybe it's not the AI exactly, but the path finding? I guess they are more or less the same thing.

On the other hand Paladin Danse recks face. He's too strong often as not killing most things before I can even get a shot in and he's pretty much indestructible in his power armor. I've seen him take a super mutant nuke to the fact and survive easily. He doesn't need good path finding to be effective. If there is anything in this game that is over powered it's Paladin Danse. If anyone is struggling at any specific spot in the game recruit this guy and go afk while he kills everything in sight. 

I just assumed this was the case honestly.  I don't EVER travel with companions because of how much of a pain they were in Skyrim.  I even tried leaving the dog behind which worked at first when I was just scouting from the settlement I just told him to stay and left.  Now however I'm not going to manually run back and forth every time and when I fast travel he shows up beside me again.  Story and AI are not Bethesda's strong points, in fact along with launch bugs I'd say they are their biggest known weaknesses, almost to the point of being legendary.  The weakness in those areas in not enough to offset how awesome the rest of the game is though so I just accept it and move on.  I'd be SHOCKED if they had a good story or strong AI at some point.

My build is a stealth sniper and I SUCK in a stand up fight at low level <12.  As such when I did the first Paladin Danse mission to join the brotherhood I did just what you said.  I walked behind him and when a firefight started I just stepped back out the door or otherwise hid in a corner until he killed everyone.  I don't think I fired a single round during that mission I just looted and hacked and such for him.  I'm recon man, not infantry.  I haven't gotten to where you can actually have him as a regular companion...

One thing to not is companions can't die in this one.  So there is no point to waste stimpaks on them or anything.

I even turned a rocket on directly above Palandin Danse's head so he was in the exhaust and it killed everything in the room and he just took a knee for a few seconds then got right back up and kept going.  REALLY!?!

I'm not sure I'm fond of the companions never die thing, maybe the dog and children but regular adults should be killable.  It's hard to really care for them when you know they can't really get killed, unlike you.  It sucked losing a companion in Skyrim but that's what made you care about them.  You wanted to keep them alive so they weren't gone forever and so you didn't do stupid things with them.  Now they're just bullet sponges and pack animals.

Can't decide whether to buy this game :( it looks cool but I only get a few hours here and there to play video games and I've seen some people saying they have spent 20+ hours just building a settlement or exploring.

People are going to spend HUNDREDS of hours, possibly THOUSANDS in this game over time.  Don't feel you have to compete with them.  It's the type of game you can play a few hours here and there and just keep going back to until Elder Scrolls 6 comes out and replaces it.  There's no level cap and the game doesn't end after the story is over so it's just a virtual sandbox to play around with.  If you're looking for a great narrative this isn't it but if you want to neat game to build and explore and such then you'll likely be happy with it for a long time to come.

• Like 2

People are going to spend HUNDREDS of hours, possibly THOUSANDS in this game over time.  Don't feel you have to compete with them.  It's the type of game you can play a few hours here and there and just keep going back to until Elder Scrolls 6 comes out and replaces it.  There's no level cap and the game doesn't end after the story is over so it's just a virtual sandbox to play around with.  If you're looking for a great narrative this isn't it but if you want to neat game to build and explore and such then you'll likely be happy with it for a long time to come.

I don't want a great narrative, quite the opposite.. I feel like those are the games you need to dedicate more time to, to follow the story.. I think i'll give it a go this weekend when i've got more time. Thanks :)

Well all I have is 6 GBs. Wanted to see if anyone else ran it with that little ram.

Runs fine for me with 4GB of DDR2 RAM :p