[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Whoever said that Powershell doesn't currently have Ctr + C/V in this build was wrong. Both CMD and Powershell have gained the Experimental properties tab to enable these and other new features.

• Like 2

I do not like the idea of being forced to sign into my Microsoft account so far. 

I like how it is in Windows 8.1 where I don't have to sign in and it's a local account.

When installing and it pesters you for it..

Choose create new account and the skip/local account option at bottom :)

Whoever said that Powershell doesn't currently have Ctr + C/V in this build was wrong. Both CMD and Powershell have gained the Experimental properties tab to enable these and other new features.

Oh hay, good catch, just assumed the better keyboard handling didn't make it in this build. Seems to be reasonably intelligent determining if you mean copy or a break too.

At the moment anyway it looks like one or the other. May change down the road *shrug* but for now you need to pick one format and stick with it.

Right now you either have to set it to use the start screen or the start menu, they don't have Continuum in this build so that the UI can change on the fly like they showed us.   So yeah, you have to switch it manually, and so far there's no real easy way to do it other than to go through the taskbar properties and change it.

Fair enough. Something else to give them feedback about :)

So not even thinking, I clean installed this on my laptop.  Windows 8.1 never recognized my wifi card without getting the driver from dell.  I tried using the 8.1 driver they have by updating the driver through device manager and the actual setup program.  These both failed, as trying just the driver file, windows said it couldn't install it and the setup says I need to download for the correct OS.  Did I screw myself?

EDIT: Sorry guys, it's working now.  For some reason, when I moved the location of the driver files, it accepted them. 

So not even thinking, I clean installed this on my laptop.  Windows 8.1 never recognized my wifi card without getting the driver from dell.  I tried using the 8.1 driver they have by updating the driver through device manager and the actual setup program.  These both failed, as trying just the driver file, windows said it couldn't install it and the setup says I need to download for the correct OS.  Did I screw myself?

Who is the manufacturer of your card (I'm almost certain it's not Dell)? Try out a driver from their website if it's offered?

Who is the manufacturer of your card (I'm almost certain it's not Dell)? Try out a driver from their website if it's offered?

Lol....it is a dell.  But I added in an edit, it works fine now.  Just had to move the file for some reason..

I hate fresh installs. I always run into problems with usb devices not working from the start.

Right now for a hour been trying to get my USB hub to work.

I hard it working.restarted system not now not working. Something to do with a devices not wanting to install with others connected

That is a problem I did NOT have - and that is despite my Vista-era HP Pavilion dv9000.

The install was just as flawless as the Windows 8.1 install was (it also detected both wired AND wireless adapters - and offered the choice of which to use, just as 8.1 did).  If you have third-party USB ports, this is a typical issue with Windows installs - which is why I'm surprised the notebook's nForce 2 chipset and AMD Turion CPU presented no issues with either 8.1 or this Technical Preview.

anyone managed to install this in VMware Workstation?

I'm using it right now in VMware Fusion 7 for what it's worth. Which is the Mac equivalent of Workstation 11.

I have only had a quick 5 minute play about with it in Hyper V but it seems good to me. I like the start menu idea, Im quite used to the start screen in Windows 8 however so Im not sure if I would switch from it now but I think this will please the lovers and haters of windows 8 :)

And no notification centre yet

For those of you who have multiple displays of varying sizes, this is an awesome release. With 8.1, your DPI was basically set at whatever your primary monitor was upon login. In 10, it seems proper multi-display DPI is here. My Surface Pro 3 no longer has everything tiny on it while connected to a 1440p or 1080p display set at primary.

Finally!

• Like 3

For those of you who have multiple displays of varying sizes, this is an awesome release. With 8.1, your DPI was basically set at whatever your primary monitor was upon login. In 10, it seems proper multi-display DPI is here. My Surface Pro 3 no longer has everything tiny on it while connected to a 1440p or 1080p display set at primary.

Finally!

Yeah, the display support has been improved quite a lot :)

How do we report problems and bugs?

Prestuck in new desktop Start Menu PC Settings leds to touch app, instead of desktop control panel.

Prices and currency symbol in Store appears in different fonts. Numbers are in sans-serif, currency symbol in serif.

They already have updates out for this btw, check Windows Update.   Also if you look in PC Settings in the Update and Recovery section then you'll notice the new entry that says "Preview Builds".   So basically you can go there and check for a new build of the OS and then grab it.  Good stuff.

I'm running this in vBox 4.3.10 btw, can't install the guest additions though, gives me an error.

How do we report problems and bugs?

Prestuck in new desktop Start Menu PC Settings leds to touch app, instead of desktop control panel.
Prices and currency symbol in Store appears in different fonts. Numbers are in sans-serif, currency symbol in serif.

Open the Windows Feedback app and go to the area that applies and fill out what you want to say.

Even if installing them, bypassing check with compatibility option, VBox Windows 6.x video driver is a known headache, so as now wouldn't work on Windows 6.4.

Installed on VMWare Player. Works flawlessly, much faster than on VBox.

Noticed also

- Apps wouldn't restore their size after sticking them to the edge.

- Metro apps cannot be resized vertically. Minimum height is too high.

Noticed also

- Metro apps cannot be resized vertically. Minimum height is too high.

I've had similar -- I can resize vertically and horizontally.. just not at the same time, and it depends on the app too, if it doesn't fit it won't scale down further I think.

I have only had a quick 5 minute play about with it in Hyper V but it seems good to me. I like the start menu idea, Im quite used to the start screen in Windows 8 however so Im not sure if I would switch from it now but I think this will please the lovers and haters of windows 8 :)

And no notification centre yet

Actually, Mini-Start is the default when you left-click on the Start orb, while QuickTask is default when right-clicking (this is the case either in a VM or bare-metal).  Decidedly "kissing up" to the folks that demanded SOME sort of Start menu - however, it is ignorable for those that are happy with 8.1 as it was.  I just hope that mini-Start doesn't get as cluttered as the original Start menu had a tendency to do (which is why I despised it in the first place).