[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

For those who want to install the preview from USB, the Windows 7 USB Download Tool should do the trick (I hope) http://wudt.codeplex.com/

use this if you are using a UEFI enabled system

as the above tool will not work properly

http://www.blogsolute.com/create-windows-8-usb-bootable-pendrive-uefi-boot/25988/#comment-106406

IMHO, Rufus is the best tool for that.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

EDIT: Too late.

use this if you are using a UEFI enabled system

as the above tool will not work properly

http://www.blogsolute.com/create-windows-8-usb-bootable-pendrive-uefi-boot/25988/#comment-106406

RUFUS works better & doesn't require doing anything in cmd

edit: lol it appears I've been ninja'd :p (hadn't done over to the next page before posting)

I just hope that mini-Start doesn't get as cluttered as the original Start menu had a tendency to do (which is why I despised it in the first place).

Are you talking vanilla windows 8, cause in 8.1 nothing is put on the start screen automatically. Installers should have had a separate option to put a tile or shortcut there imho.

I would encourage all of you to spam Microsoft with feedback about the Win10 preview. They said they'll listen; time to find out if they really do it this time around.

I would encourage all of you to spam Microsoft with feedback about the Win10 preview. They said they'll listen; time to find out if they really do it this time around.

Especially with the feedback app.

Are you talking vanilla windows 8, cause in 8.1 nothing is put on the start screen automatically. Installers should have had a separate option to put a tile or shortcut there imho.

I'm actually referring to 7 and earlier - not 8.

One reason I despised the Start menu was the tendency to get overly cluttered - and why I didn't miss its absence in 8 OR later.

Right now, I'm over on the Server 2012R2 side of things, installing the Technical Preview for Enterprises in Hyper-V.

Can anyone confirm some basic questions about this preview?

Any issues with networking or device compatibility yet?

None whatever.  Not in OVB, not bare-metal.  But then, the same notebook that has the Technical Preview installed had nary a quibble with Windows 8.1 update 1, either.

I love what they've done with the window shadows & borders :)

I downloaded and installed the preview and pretty much what you said is the only thing I like about the preview. I know is not complete yet so hope by next year they add more features and add ie12 as well.

I downloaded and installed the preview and pretty much what you said is the only thing I like about the preview. I know is not complete yet so hope by next year they add more features and add ie12 as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about what's missing or weird at this point...

The (web?) search icon on the task bar next to the actual search function in the Start Menu makes zero sense.  :rofl:

The (web?) search icon on the task bar next to the actual search function in the Start Menu makes zero sense.  rofl.gif

my guess is that's just a stand in & that's where cortana is gonna be in the future

The (web?) search icon on the task bar next to the actual search function in the Start Menu makes zero sense.  :rofl:

It might make more sense when Cortana is in the OS.

my guess is that's just a stand in & that's where cortana is gonna be in the future

Yeah, I mean look at how they're already starting to use the same icons for things that you find on phone.  Though it's not in this build we've seen from the leaks that the notification center uses the same icon that you see on windows phone.   Cortana on WP is the same icon/button that they have there on the taskbar, so I'd say expect it to be for Cortana when they're ready to turn it on in later builds.   They might change the placement for it but I'd say the icon stays the same.

It might make more sense when Cortana is in the OS.

Yeah, I mean look at how they're already starting to use the same icons for things that you find on phone.  Though it's not in this build we've seen from the leaks that the notification center uses the same icon that you see on windows phone.   Cortana on WP is the same icon/button that they have there on the taskbar, so I'd say expect it to be for Cortana when they're ready to turn it on in later builds.   They might change the placement for it but I'd say the icon stays the same.

Its been shown in leaked builds that search icon will be used for cortana when added back into the build. heck you might even be able to enable it your self if you know the registry keys.

It's nice seeing in the Windows Update pane..."Preview Builds"...to check for new builds. That's cool stuff. Can't wait to see. I'm currently using it on my Samsung Tablet (the same ones they had at build for Windows 8...but the retail version) using touch. Really need my mouse for some things...

EDIT: So apparently after I logged out of my machine and logged on as a different user, I no longer see the Preview Builds...hmm.

It's nice seeing in the Windows Update pane..."Preview Builds"...to check for new builds. That's cool stuff. Can't wait to see. I'm currently using it on my Samsung Tablet (the same ones they had at build for Windows 8...but the retail version) using touch. Really need my mouse for some things...

What would be wonderful is if they release a new build every week or two, and focus on making one X feature perfect per period.

What would be wonderful is if they release a new build every week or two, and focus on making one X feature perfect per period.

Kind of like how they were trying to do Xbox Music and such. Would absolutely love this.