[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Submitted a lot of feedback about the lack of the old customization options that existed in Win7 and prior. We still can't change title bar font, title bar font color, menu background color, etc. These features were inexplicably removed from Win8x.

So, I put the old Calculator and the Modern Calculator side-by-side, as I feel it really illustrates the inconsistency that is plaguing Windows right now.

• Legacy Calculator is aligning the title bar text between the title bar widgets. The Modern Calculator is aligning the title bar text relatively to the actual width of the window. Two different methods of accomplishing the same thing. Stick with one way of doing things, Microsoft.

• Legacy Calculator's close button widget has a 1px border above it. This is fine because this is consistent with the new window style, featuring 1px border all around and no padding. However, the close button widget is 1px too far to the right. So, again, Microsoft needs to find consistency here. Either move the title bar widgets over to the left by 1px, or raise them by 1px. Either have that border around all the windows, or put the window controls flush with the window edge.

• The exact opposite is occurring with the Modern Calculator. Here, the 1px border exists to the right of the close button widget, but not to the top. Again, see above... Desktop and Modern apps should look and behave the same way.

• The legacy and Modern Calculators are using two different sets of window widgets. The former has rectangular window controls with an always-red close button, while the latter is using square window controls that only become colored on mouseover. Even the actual icons themselves are different, there are two different styles of "X" being used to represent the close button widget. Again, consistency. I don't dislike either style, but pick one and use it system-wide, Microsoft.

• When going fullscreen, the window controls move again! This time, they are completely flush with the top edge, but now there is an inexplicable 2-4 px gap on the right side, so they're not flush with that edge. However, this only appears to be happening with legacy apps. Modern apps seem to be completely flush with the edges when fullscreen, which I think is the proper behavior. So, I'd say this is more an alignment bug with legacy apps. Either way, you know what I'm going to say here... Consistent behavior.

• And, of course... Do we really need the legacy Calculator anymore? Any functionality it has can be built into the Modern Calculator.

I know I'm probably ranting about minor stuff, but these are the minor things that I really feel need to be addressed. Little improvements like that would really make Win10 feel truly new, clean and consistent.

post-119000-0-48731100-1412229563.png

• Like 3

I expect the legacy calculator to go away, don't know why it hasn't already.

because people are really used to the old one instead. I use it still on Win 8.1 even though I have the modern App. Maybe it has something to do with keeping only one of them instead to create the trend of having only the modern one used in the future.

Been running it on my main everyday laptop all day. hasn't skipped a beat. It's rock solid. Thogh I expected it would be as it's a public tech Prewview, not a buggy random beta.

One thing I can't do is verify my login account. has anyone been able to? I tried both mobile text and email, but they never get sent. 

EDIT: Email verification finally worked.

This is a Tech Preview and its bloody fantastic. 
Running on my desktop and its everything I wanted from WIndows 8. The only issue I have is windows no longer seem to snap. (like eg I would resize Skype to run on the right on my screen and every program would autoresize to fill the space), so far I had to manually resize other apps to that of the free space. 
So far thou everything has worked as it should, about to test some games now :)

Snap is working fine for me...

loving the thin borders. works great for mulitasking and make media player classic look great.

also I have a hauppaqe 950 usb tuner for watcher my dvr.

I use media player classic for using the tuner.

windows 8.1 load the tuner fast windows 10 load the tuner even faster

windows 7 takes forever to load the tuner. I think sometimes close to a minute.

I really like some of the things they've done with it, especially the thin borders. 

Imho, they should add some more snapping positions (or configurations) and allow a little more personalization of 'Home' from the navigation pane. Having OneDrive files listed there instead of recent files or frequent folders is far more useful. 

Edit: There's also an option to edit the length of time a notification will display on screen. It's from 5 seconds up to 5 minutes (under Ease Of Access -> Other options). I might be remembering this wrong, but I don't think it was there before. 

Edited by Sszecret

running windows 7 inside vmware player in windows 10.

again going to say the thin border looks great.

I didnt like the borders around vmware player. and now it basicly none.

• And, of course... Do we really need the legacy Calculator anymore? Any functionality it has can be built into the Modern Calculator.

attachicon.gifcalculators.png

Personally i like the classic calculator a lot better at this point. It's small compact and does the job, the modern one looks a mess to me even when scaled down to run in a window.

Obviously both do the job, i just prefer the design and colors of the classic.

Can anyone tell me how do I unlink my onedrive account? I just logged in for testing now it is downloading all my files. There is no option even to uninstall it!

Anyone send in feedback about being able to set the title bar text color yet? 

Yep. You can just click in on the piece of feedback and click 'Me too' instead of having to write the feedback from scratch. :)

So, I put the old Calculator and the Modern Calculator side-by-side, as I feel it really illustrates the inconsistency that is plaguing Windows right now.

• Legacy Calculator is aligning the title bar text between the title bar widgets. The Modern Calculator is aligning the title bar text relatively to the actual width of the window. Two different methods of accomplishing the same thing. Stick with one way of doing things, Microsoft.

• Legacy Calculator's close button widget has a 1px border above it. This is fine because this is consistent with the new window style, featuring 1px border all around and no padding. However, the close button widget is 1px too far to the right. So, again, Microsoft needs to find consistency here. Either move the title bar widgets over to the left by 1px, or raise them by 1px. Either have that border around all the windows, or put the window controls flush with the window edge.

• The exact opposite is occurring with the Modern Calculator. Here, the 1px border exists to the right of the close button widget, but not to the top. Again, see above... Desktop and Modern apps should look and behave the same way.

• The legacy and Modern Calculators are using two different sets of window widgets. The former has rectangular window controls with an always-red close button, while the latter is using square window controls that only become colored on mouseover. Even the actual icons themselves are different, there are two different styles of "X" being used to represent the close button widget. Again, consistency. I don't dislike either style, but pick one and use it system-wide, Microsoft.

• When going fullscreen, the window controls move again! This time, they are completely flush with the top edge, but now there is an inexplicable 2-4 px gap on the right side, so they're not flush with that edge. However, this only appears to be happening with legacy apps. Modern apps seem to be completely flush with the edges when fullscreen, which I think is the proper behavior. So, I'd say this is more an alignment bug with legacy apps. Either way, you know what I'm going to say here... Consistent behavior.

I know I'm probably ranting about minor stuff, but these are the minor things that I really feel need to be addressed. Little improvements like that would really make Win10 feel truly new, clean and consistent.

attachicon.gifcalculators.png

keep in mind the modern calculator app is the same one from windows 8.1 . they said this is an alpha and not much has changed.

Which should have already been completely replaced by Microsoft Mathematics, one of the most hidden MS gems

why not dual boot it?

I installed to a VHDx file, Its pretty awesome that you can dual boot with it. No VM's, no partitions and no problems. :D

Allright, I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 flawlessly.

I just have one minor issue that is getting annoying. Most apps give me the following question every time when starting it up.

Even when I was installing a program it would throw these messages.

Does anyone else have this issue and maybe knows what is causing it? I already fixed a issue with userrights. Somehow after the upgrade I wasnt in full control of most folders/files. Had to edit my HD security settings to give authenticated users full control.

But, the following message I get when starting up most programs.

0IwzNpP.jpg

Is there a way to disable this compatibility mode?

What if you expand the width of the legacy calculator ?

windows changes how the text is aligned on desktop apps based on the width of the window, centered edge to edge when it's wide enough, cntered between the widgets when it gets to narrow. 

Is there a way to disable this compatibility mode?

Should be as simple as finding the .exe and Properties > Compatibility > uncheck use compatibility mode.

Can anyone tell me how do I unlink my onedrive account? I just logged in for testing now it is downloading all my files. There is no option even to uninstall it!

That i know of you can only stop it from uploading files but check if this works for you PC Settings > OneDrive > File Storage > Save documents to OneDrive by default.

<snipped>

Snap is working fine for me...

This is what I mean:

The Chrome Window I had to resize manually otherwise it will go full screen, where in Windows 8.1 it would automatically resize to fill in the space not taken up by Skype. 

CNP4I58.jpg

I've not played too much but once I discovered the switch back to Start Screen I was much happier with the thought of windows 10. 

I am going to switch it back to the default start menu and see how I get on with it, but the start screen worked for me :)

Don't know if anyone said this yet but MS has made it official, not that I had any doubt, DirectX 12 will ship with Windows 10 when it goes final.

The OneDrive Sync Engine only download metadata of the files to make the structure used in the cloud, you can select if you want to download the file for real by selecting "Make available offline" on the context menu.

That i know of you can only stop it from uploading files but check if this works for you PC Settings > OneDrive > File Storage > Save documents to OneDrive by default.

For some reason reason you can only stop for settings, you can't stop syncing your files.

Should be as simple as finding the .exe and Properties > Compatibility > uncheck use compatibility mode.

I just checked and it isn't checked. It should run normally but Windows is running it in compatibility mode anyways. Thanks though!