[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Still, such displays weren't cheap (I lucked out rescuing the Panny from the recycle bin - literally; it WOULD fail eventually - which led to the Acer).

And how much did your CURRENT display cost?

It's a philips IPS or similar panel so not the cheapest, BUT it is actually one of the cheapest IPS panels around, NOK prices don't translate well to $ though. being aroudn 4k Nok, if we use the generally used x10 rule( since prics go up here +25% VAT) it directly translates to $400, but reality is it would probably cost less than that over there. either way, cheap price to pay for the most important interface element of your computer. 

Can't wait for them to push out a new build with some more new stuff to play with.   Cortana is something I don't expect to see till early next year though,  in that rumored January or February preview that's been talked about.   Heck I still don't have Cortana on my phone, they'll need to push it out to more countries soon, even if it's alpha and only works for them in English.

What I am hoping if (when they activate Cortana) you can limit what microphone input it listens to - I have a mic built into my Webcam and a beamforming mic (came with my Recon3D Fatality Pro) that I use for specific uses (I use the webcam mic for Skype and non-gaming chat, but use the beamforming mic for TeamSpeak and other game-chat apps - specifically, RazerComms.

Seems like multi-select for tiles has been removed in the start menu, really liked that to drag sets of tiles around.

I really like the start menu and windowed apps, they all feel so natural (although I'm still used to the Windows 8 way of doing things), just wish they pushed out windowed Modern apps to existing Windows 8 users too, it's such a big thing and the apps just feel better because they reside in the desktop now. 

dont see any reason why they cant keep both, one is designed for touch and the other is classic, enterprise users who will proberly be using the start menu will naturally navigate to the classic calculator.

There is no reason to not remove the old one. Just port its features to the modern Calculator, and fix the issues with the UI. That is all that is needed.

It's not a bug per se, but I wonder if Win10 is ever going to address the issue of being able to resize a window down to virtually just the title bar, rendering it useless unless resized. Maybe they could introduce minimal size limits? (Or maybe that's something a developer can do on a per-app basis).

Other minor things I've found that have already submitted feedback for... When using the GUI Alt+Tab equivalent on the taskbar, but waiting for it to respond, it's still using the old Vista/7-era throbber, instead of the flat blue one introduced with Win8. And the Windows Feedback app doesn't seem to scroll properly, because if there is a long feedback post, I can't scroll to read the rest of it or hit the "Me, Too" button.

It's not a bug per se, but I wonder if Win10 is ever going to address the issue of being able to resize a window down to virtually just the title bar, rendering it useless unless resized. Maybe they could introduce minimal size limits? (Or maybe that's something a developer can do on a per-app basis).

Other minor things I've found that have already submitted feedback for... When using the GUI Alt+Tab equivalent on the taskbar, but waiting for it to respond, it's still using the old Vista/7-era throbber, instead of the flat blue one introduced with Win8. And the Windows Feedback app doesn't seem to scroll properly, because if there is a long feedback post, I can't scroll to read the rest of it or hit the "Me, Too" button.

Interesting, but my windows do not go down to the title bar (at least not all the way). Especially the Control Panel and Files which both have a minimum height of about twice the size of IE's minimum height. There was an old program called Winroll which made the minimum zero.

I had a problem with VirtualBox. First when selecting OS's from the dropdown only 32 bit displayed. I downloaded 32 bit Preview and tried to install and VB crashed attempting to create the VM. I enabled Hyper-V and It began to create the VM but said no internet connection so i create a local account. That was worthless some I removed and googled setting Hyper-V to use wireless card. I had to create switch under networking then assign my Intel wireless care to it. Then last i had to go into security of wireless card and allow it to be shared. I recreated the VM and it prompted me to enter my MS Username & PW and then finished the install. The resolution was lower but i right clicked on the desktop and changed the resolution to 1080p. All is well.

You most likely had HyperV enabled when using VirtualBox. That will make VirtualBox support just 32bit VMs.

Having an issue with Win10 TP on VMware Player. When I move the default sized taskbar vertically, ie to the left or right, it puts all the system icons into a vertical column instead of into two vertical columns. The only way to fix this is to unlock the taskbar and manually resize it. But then it happens agains upon logout and loging back in. Strangely, this did not occur when I had Win10 TP installed on VirtualBox. I reported it, but it seems like difficult behavior to reproduce consistently.

Guess they missed that one, don't worry guys, we all know this is just the first build of what will probably be many that they'll send out for people in the insider program.  I expect at least one updated build to go out before the end of this year.

You missed the WinXP icons in the toolbar.

You missed the point

Point: The windows explorer icon has already been redesigned so it could have been updated at the screenshot as well. The icon you mention have not

Comparing the start menu and the all apps screen minus search ... I much much much much prefer a folder structure than the Retina diarrhea cluster ###### that is the all apps screen.

Warwagon - the only need I have for the AppScreen is to search - if I frequently use an application, it is pinned to either the desktop or Taskbar (which I can, in fact, do from the AppScreen).

The CEIP came to Windows from Office where it began (specifically with the Office 2000 Technical Preview) and came to Windows XP (not Vista) with Service Pack 2.  The CEIP is what led to the pruning of (eventually) all of Office's barrel of shortcuts.

Microsoft has CEIPs for most of their software, and all of their PC hardware - I have no idea if any of the XBOX consoles and their peripherals, let alone their games, have anything like it.

Hitman Pro deleted my 'user.exe' file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and now I have to reinstall Windows 10. I have tried system restore about 5 times and it still will not do a restore. :( So now I will put the DVD back in and start all over.

I bet you'll start making regular images of your system disk from now on.  Always remember ... its easier to restore an image than reinstall the OS. :)

The CEIP came to Windows from Office where it began (specifically with the Office 2000 Technical Preview) and came to Windows XP (not Vista) with Service Pack 2.  The CEIP is what led to the pruning of (eventually) all of Office's barrel of shortcuts.

Microsoft has CEIPs for most of their software, and all of their PC hardware - I have no idea if any of the XBOX consoles and their peripherals, let alone their games, have anything like it.

Note that the context of my previous message referred to the CEIP in the Windows operating system.

Do you have a source for the claim that the CEIP was introduced in Windows XP SP2? From what I have searched for on TechNet I am unable to find this information. The closest thing I have found is a CEIP for Media Center in Windows XP Media Center edition.

Guess they missed that one, don't worry guys, we all know this is just the first build of what will probably be many that they'll send out for people in the insider program.  I expect at least one updated build to go out before the end of this year.

I am more worried about...

[snip]

It's probably some window kept just for compatibility with older programs maintained by separated library which no longer can be replaced with new one (my guess) and all what they can do is at least skinning it. And I do believe same thing goes for classic theme - it's still there, moreover - it's the skeleton of Windows even now and they can't drop it - but it's just well hidden due to themes. Just open MMC and look at columns, borders inside window - classic theme is still there, now can be even easier to blended with rest of OS because everything is flat and back then, there was no problem to set flatness on UI elements in Appearance control panel.

It's probably some window kept just for compatibility with older programs maintained by separated library which no longer can be replaced with new one (my guess) and all what they can do is at least skinning it. And I do believe same thing goes for classic theme - it's still there, moreover - it's the skeleton of Windows even now and they can't drop it - but it's just well hidden due to themes. Just open MMC and look at columns, borders inside window - classic theme is still there, now can be even easier to blended with rest of OS because everything is flat and back then, there was no problem to set flatness on UI elements in Appearance control panel.

Right older programs use the old save/open dialogue while newer ones use the newer one.

When I click show all results after searching it just launches bing instead of showing the other results.... Is this normal? During setup I specifically disabled access to bing :/

your images are not working

but yeah, the cortana features are not implemented in the UI (searchUI.exe) yet, although the cortana libraries are there.

However, standard keyboard-driven search is faster than 8.1 - which was pretty darn fast itself.

Why it's separate - even I get this; the separateness is so the results (or part of the results) can be exported to any application that supports cut+paste.  Yet another reason why this Technical Preview is quite usable as it is.

The search engine itself is almost certainly Bing (which it is for Cortana by default in Windows Phone) - if they can keep it from bogging when they add the Cortana features, it will be a nightmare for not merely Siri, but even Google's revamped search for Android/Chromecast.

When I click show all results after searching it just launches bing instead of showing the other results.... Is this normal? During setup I specifically disabled access to bing :/

It may be "hardwired" to use Bing (which is typical in builds at this stage) - however, I don't mind that, since I have Google (the default in Firefox) and Yahoo (IE's default) to compare it to.

For those that want a full res desktop icon:

2rcwhhz.png

You cannot believe how many legacy bitmap,vista beta, XP icons that I have never seen before (literally thousands, upon around 10 sizes of each, upon legacy colors of each) are in imagres.dll and shell32.dll! Take a look yourself... no wonder Windows loads so slowly! They support legacy icons in those dlls.