[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I thought I'd post it here. The new Skype Messaging app for Windows 10.

Oh my! That's actually looking more than promising! Totally forgot that it would be part of Windows 10 for tablets and PC's too. I got to get used to it!

Anyhow, I also see a call button on top. Does that mean that we are able to call people directly using your phone as some sort of a gateway? Or it's just limited to Skype conversation mode only?

Oh my! That's actually looking more than promising! Totally forgot that it would be part of Windows 10 for tablets and PC's too. I got to get used to it!

Anyhow, I also see a call button on top. Does that mean that we are able to call people directly using your phone as some sort of a gateway? Or it's just limited to Skype conversation mode only?

I think Skype calls still require (paid for) credit. It's an alternative to calling via your mobile provider and more useful (and cheaper) for overseas calls. 

• Like 1

I think Skype calls still require (paid for) credit. It's an alternative to calling via your mobile provider and more useful (and cheaper) for overseas calls. 

Ah, I see. I wonder if it's possible to toggle between the Internet connection mode and directly through Skype Call one. Or is that mostly accessible through the actual Skype app?

Nothing seen or heard today of 'Metro 2.0', interactive tiles or any API/feature enhacements for Modern apps then?

Seems there was a lot not covered - when is the next 'discussion' event?

Build 2015 is when they go into depth about the under the hood details where as this is more of an event for the press to get an update on how things are developing at Microsoft with Windows 10. It is a bit like with Apple's WWDC where the keynote is a razzle-dazzle affair and the afternoon season is when they dive deep into the low levels of OS X and iOS to talk about the under the hood changes that are taking place.

Not sure if anybody posted this but "DirectX 12 will indeed be exclusive to Windows 10".

Not surprising given that DirectX relies heavily on changes provided in WDDM 2.0 which contribute to the massive improvement in performance and ability to scale up to take advantage of new hardware as it becomes available. The details of WDDM and DirectX 12 will come out in the sessions they have at Build 2015.

I would like to see what they will do more with these tiles. These tiles look messy, I prefer static icon over them. And also live tiles is pointless because of notification center. I wonder if they are working on interactive live tiles now

Notifications are once off notifications from applications and the operating system where as the live tiles are for re-occurring information such as temperatures - unless you want 'the temperature is x' every 5 seconds on the notifications centre.

I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I thought I'd post it here. The new Skype Messaging app for Windows 10.

Gorgeous - it appears they've finally hired some people who understand good design.

A lot of people brought their Macbooks to the Windows 10 event..

Hardly surprising given that laptops in the PC world up until recently were appalling not to mention the continued problem with crapware that still plagues many users (no, Microsoft stores aren't available everywhere so 'signature laptops' aren't available to everyone). Given how beautiful Windows 10 is turning out to be Microsoft might win back converts because it appears Microsoft finally understands that people like not only functional software but well designed software with a gorgeous user interface which makes the experience pleasurable rather than a chore that one would rather sooner avoid.

Playlist of all Windows 10 clips.

Some details on updates, they will be a lot more fast paced now, along with a LTS version for business, with new security and critical updates still being compatible with it. Basically, Windows is moving to a rolling release cycle, kind of like Chrome OS with the automatic updates, sent directly to your PC.

And Windows will not be a subscription:

Office for the desktop is in development and will be talked about in later months, so metro Office will not be replacing Win32 Office.

All built in apps, Photos, Videos, Music, Maps, People & Messaging, and Mail & Calendar are now universal apps, they will look familiar on different devices and screen sizes, and will sync your content through OneDrive.

Windows 10 website: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

(sign up to get offer details about getting Windows 10 for free)

Yes, they are making a universal messaging app, based on the hub one that used to be on WP.

The rolling-release model is commonplace in the GNU/FOSS community (Linux distributions, especially Debian-based distributions, and the BSDs are mostly rolling-release).  For that matter, due to the LACK of change in terms of most of the desktop aspects, that portion of Windows will change very little at the core (surprisingly, the excision/return of the Start menu is NOT part of the core desktop, despite the assumptions).

It's not "Metro Office" but a lower-end "touch-enabled" Office for lower-usage scenarios, and will likely replace low-end SKUs of Office (including 365).  Given that Office 2013 supports touch today, why SHOULD it replace it?  Office 2016 will replace 2013, but will support all the same features - including touch - that 2013 does today.

A "clean-sheet" universal messaging app hasn't been done by a major developer - ever.  Attempts by third parties (Trillian) have been beset by infighting among API stakeholders - how many of the APIs that Trillian uses have been suddenly shut off due to attempts by those same stakeholders to tie their users to their in-house application?

The slogan looks like the one that Google has been using for Android. (However, it's a good thing; the question is, will Google think so?)

That messaging app is beautiful.  Too bad the shipping version will be totally bastardized with ads and LOOK AT THIS NEW FEATURE bloat.

Not necessarily - Windows Messenger wasn't.

That messaging app is beautiful. Too bad the shipping version will be totally bastardized with ads and LOOK AT THIS NEW FEATURE bloat.

How do you know?

Looks a lot like a Yosemite application, it's clear both OS X and Windows are moving towards a similar UI paradigm, which is fine with me. 

Frankly (although I'm not a fan of Android per se)  I wouldn't mind a bit of Material Design influences either. They seem to have a lot of good ideas in so far as the usage of automatically generated shadows/depth in the name of increased usability is concerned. Unfortunately I feel like Apple, with iOS 7, in copying Microsoft threw the baby out with the bathwater in that respect (Yosemite isn't quite as bad)

• Like 1

Where is the taskbar button for that app? :/

That's a motion study i.e. it has not been coded yet or is in the rough concept stage.

actually, point your eyes at the sys tray.  which I hope they change, it doesn't belong in the tray, according to their very own guidelines as well.

well not for Skype to Skype, or certain service numbers.

Project Spartan

2117.psatwjpb_2D00_image1.PNG

0435.psatwjpb_2D00_image2.png8865.psatwjpb_2D00_image5.png

1541.project_2D00_spartan_2D00_diagram.g

The first preview of Spartan will include:

• HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS)
  • HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) and Dynamic Adaptive Streaming of HTTP (DASH)
  • Video Tracks
  • DOM L3 XPath

Spartan Developer Tools will include:

• Improved Network Tool
  • HTML and CSS unminifier
  • Async Callstacks for Events and Timers
  • Sourcemaps for Styles and in the Memory Profiler from SASS or TypeScript
  • Find reference and go to definition

Not sure what I feel about them moving the adress bar to the top on the phone and full screen modern... :/

They need to clean up the left side of file explorer IMO. If you're going to have This PC then why will you have the local disk also? Some things need to be combined I think.

They need to clean up the left side of file explorer IMO. If you're going to have This PC then why will you have the local disk also? Some things need to be combined I think.

quick access to disks and this PC is more than just disks. if the disks weren't there I'd have to add them myself to favorites.

I just hope they stop it from default jumping to one drive all the time.

ntoskrnlProperties.png

HawkMan: I don't have any device to try Continuum. I'm sure others do and will report soon.

probably wait for a build with spartan anyway, probably won't be to touch friendly until then anyway.

@freak: it looks like icon from early versions of gnome in Linux distro :p

Hah, although it wasn't really that vibrant in color in such early Gnome versions. However, perspective wise it reminds me a lot of BeOS.

Now that was a classy iconography.