What are your biggest Windows 10 bugbears?

Here are mine so far:

• No Start Screen. The maximized Start Menu doesn't count, as it doesn't function like the Start Screen in Windows 8.
  • The Ctrl key can not be used to select multiple items in the Start Menu.
  • App list in Start Menu uses the old vertical view, making it harder find programs.
  • Some Modern apps look like crap in windowed mode.
  • Colourless titlebars. (Unofficial fix)
  • Some options in the Settings app are unnecessarily greyed out.
  • Only one instance of the Settings app can be opened.
  • Limited control of Windows Updates, even in Pro edition.

Aside from these issues, Windows 10 seems decent.

It's interesting how peoples opinions can differ so much.  For me the lack of start screen is one of the primary reasons I upgraded.

It's interesting how peoples opinions can differ so much.  For me the lack of start screen is one of the primary reasons I upgraded.

Well, the Start Menu in Windows 10 seems more basic than both Windows 8's Start Screen & Windows 7's Start Menu.

I'm not entirely sure why its one of your primary reasons. I'll assume you had more reasons, so it's fine. :)

Think outside the box for a moment if you will.  You can filter by clicking or tapping on those letters, and have zero need to scroll a huge list.

never thought of that, although why not just let me press M and show all apps starting with M, you know like explorer.exe does ;) quicker and easier.

never thought of that, although why not just let me press M and show all apps starting with M, you know like explorer.exe does ;) quicker and easier.

Good question.

It does drop to the 'M' section though.

GvE3au61.thumb.jpg.ab0d378e8c42ea02e26b1

All of the wasted space on the left hand side of the Start menu despite having most used and recently installed applications turned on. I'd love for it to display more than 6 most used.

No offence, but when I see things like that I wonder whats going through your head o_0

Just make your start menu wider, rather than so tall.

That said I do wish you could pin stuff in that space, as well as set min/max on recent and most used apps.

They should've left the start screen as it was in Windows 8.1 for people electing to have a full screen start menu and/or using tablet mode. The current start screen is a step backwards.

• Like 3

Let's see....

Hibernation battery drain on my Lenovo y510p.

"Telemetrics" sent to Microsoft without clear Opt-in.

UI designed by blind people and to make it worse completely inconsistent(fonts, colours, lines...you name it) in style and in function.

UI wastes so much space filling it with the worst colour for work possible (excluding luminescent and flourescent ones :)...white.

Start Menu is just resized Start Screen from Windows 8, compared to old start menus and replacement like StartIsBack nearly obsolete.

Edge is in pre-alpha state on RTM Windows.

Completely non-functional much touted Cortana...if I wanted Bing results I would search through Bing...that is if You are in USA, if not Cortana suddenly becomes competely useless.

Slower than Windows 7.x or Windows 8.x in opening programs.

Terrible release for Microsoft, could not come at worse time with Windows Phone factually dead, Google manuvering into Office space, Mac moving to PC territory and Linux through Valve's SteamOS and Vulkan (as DirectX 12 multiplatform alternative based partially on Mantle) moving to gaming territory.

same here. Over on the lenovo forums, a lenovo rep has announced that the y510P will not be supported for Windows 10, so they recommend staying on 8. (I'd post a link, but I'm currently mobile. Just search their forums for a thread titled "Windows 10 upgrade guide(ish)". It specifically is for our Y510P's.)

same here. Over on the lenovo forums, a lenovo rep has announced that the y510P will not be supported for Windows 10, so they recommend staying on 8. (I'd post a link, but I'm currently mobile. Just search their forums for a thread titled "Windows 10 upgrade guide(ish)". It specifically is for our Y510P's.)

How does hibernation drain battery?  Everything has been written to disk and the machine is in an off state.

Good question.

It does drop to the 'M' section though.

hmm thats odd mine doesnt on desktop, ill have to check laptop later.

all in all though, more i use it the more im liking it, and it says a lot, that all we have are bugbears. I think they've done not too bad a job tbh.

Two main issues

1. Missing features (Messaging app and Edge extensions are the most obvious)

2. Not touch friendly in desktop mode. I don't want to use tablet mode on my large touchscreen.  Tablet mode is fine for 8" or smaller, but desktop makes more sense on larger screens including the surface.

• Putting an item in the recycle bin (with touch) is not an obvious task.  This could easily be fixed by pinning the recycle bin to the task bar or systray.  Having it on the desktop is stupid.
  • Speaking of the systray, very difficult to use on touch.  Too crowded and too many right-clicks required.
  • Live tiles are a good invention so why not give the user the choice to put them on the desktop? I want a large Cortana and Weather tile on the desktop in almost a gadget manner. If you're an app developer, don't you want users to have the option of putting your tile on the desktop?  As it is now, your app is imprisoned to the start menu.
  • Cortana on WindowsPhone is implemented better than in Win10. On the phone you can place a tile on your screen and watch your interests scroll by.  In Win10, she feels like a 3rd party bolt-on.
  • Can we talk about the "show desktop" invisible corner?  Does anyone still think this is the best way to accomplish this action?  It's incredibly awkward on a touch screen. It's time for the systray to be re-imagined with a show desktop button and recycle bin.
  • "All Apps" is a hot mess.  It worked much better on 8.1.  Why is it so small?  Why are there no ways to sort the apps in different ways like in 8.1?
  • I don't miss the charms, but I really miss the SHARE function that the charm provided. One of the coolest things of 8.1 was sharing to the reading list app.  You can still do it now, but only when you're in Edge.

• Like 2

How does hibernation drain battery?  Everything has been written to disk and the machine is in an off state.

Are You asking us? Only Lenovo and Microsoft know the answer.

The answer there is simple. It's not actually entering hibernation, as such the computer remains powered to some degree, this draining battery.

I should still be able to ask you.  The OS isn't even running to drain the battery!

Are we talking about sleep?

mine is the home edition not allowing the user to get notified of updates and decide if to install. Pro allows for this via local group policy. Home is forced to update no matter what. Microsoft screwed this up bad. some updates break windows installs and this is a bus heading for the brick wall without a steering wheel.

I DID find a website to create a registry key to hopefully create the ability to decide how to install updates, if any. didn't work.

If you are on touch, use tablet mode.  Simple really. The taskbar doesn't need a larger show desktop and it surely doesn't need a recycle bin. (Show Desktop and Drag and drop is for mices... Home button and cross-slide or action-slide is for touch).

One thing that bugs me about the store is the lack of info for in-app purchases. Why tell me the price range but not list the actual purchases? Seems stupid. You can tell a lot about a game by the IAPs.

Also, they said they were cleaning out the low quality apps. So why are they recommending me "Real Speed: Need for Asphalt Race - Shift to Underground CSR Addiction 14"?

Two app gripes:

Mail: need to open a menu to switch accounts, either follow Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8.

Calendar: appointments disappear once past.

Playing an MKV in the native player and fast forward causes it to CTD Ohwell back to MPC-HC, I should never have left it really 

mine is the home edition not allowing the user to get notified of updates and decide if to install. Pro allows for this via local group policy. Home is forced to update no matter what. Microsoft screwed this up bad. some updates break windows installs and this is a bus heading for the brick wall without a steering wheel.

I DID find a website to create a registry key to hopefully create the ability to decide how to install updates, if any. didn't work.

No they didn't not for the likes of the Home Ed this should have been happening since windows 7 perhaps then there might not have been so many infected computers and I might have been able to get a bit more time off from fixing PC's 

No they didn't not for the likes of the Home Ed this should have been happening since windows 7 perhaps then there might not have been so many infected computers and I might have been able to get a bit more time off from fixing PC's 

No...they should have set it to on by default and removed the option to configure windows updates from the setup or OOTBE as it does in 7 and 8.  That way the home users who don't care or don't understand updates would get them automatically and those users that want to configure that stuff still can.  But no, that would be a balanced approach...we can't have that. 

Instead with the approach they've taken a) this is listed on several articles and reviews as 'problems with windows 10' or 'what windows 10 doesn't get right' etc so bad PR and b) those that want to configure them are stuffing around with the registry or 3rd part solutions, so much for security or convenience.

sorry, i'm an insider, not win 10 user. i have one major bugbear that i thought microsoft doesnt pay attention or just ignore. i am a heavy pdf user and it very slow when come to refreshing thumbnails for each folder. it does not happen to photo folders. when i look at win 7 it doesnt happen like this at all. once it is refreshed it is ok the second time. actually i am waiting for the next build to fix this problem. its really irritating and so backward.

ATM my biggest issue is with the Mail App... Trying to setup my IMAP corporate email.

Can't set it up by using the "Other Account POP, IMAP" method. I type my email address firstname.lastname@domain.pt and password, tells me to use the advanced method.

On the advanced method, there's no email address field, only username, but I don't want to setup my email with username@domain.pt (the username is only used for validation purposes).

Anyone else having this issue or noticed this, maybe I am missing something?

You are right. This is an issue and/or a shortcoming of the Mail app. Your username MUST be your full email address; therefore, incompatible with services which use a username only for authentication (not necessarily the same as your email address).

Normally, my peeve would mostly be with Edge.

But recently, one thing has really, really annoyed me: Inability to drag and drop. This happens both on Edge bookmarks and, worse, the All Applications list on the Start Menu. Most programs install the app exe and an uninstall link (which I always found pointless)... which means, thanks to Win10's alphabetic lists, at best you need to open a folder to launch an app, and at worst, the app is buried somewhere nonsensical.

No offence, but when I see things like that I wonder whats going through your head o_0

Just make your start menu wider, rather than so tall.

That said I do wish you could pin stuff in that space, as well as set min/max on recent and most used apps.

I'm using a large 4k monitor without any scaling so it really doesn't seem all that tall when I'm looking at it. It's just a space I'd like to see filled.