What are your biggest Windows 10 bugbears?

8 hours ago, bluesman86 said:

Ever since the 1115 update, I've been 100% happy. It runs great, looks great, and it brings many great new features that I use all the time (coming from Windows 7).

Oh, one small thingy: I wish I could leave the taskbar and Start black, and the accent color on windows colors. That would be cool.

I feel like I've seen people pointing out how to do this.  Pretty sure you can, just need to do a little online sleuthing at the least. :)

It's been posted here along with the reg file.

This tweak works well for nearly all windows, though in my hands, the title text color in Explorer seems to stick.

13 hours ago, Mando said:

Agreed! Im at a loss why they dont have that feature.

My other bubear is the total lack of information of what update fixes/brings to W10 as a sys site admin i want to know dammit! :p 

Who knows, maybe we'll get it. They've listened to users pretty well in the last update.

I think they do the secret updates thing to keep it more secure.  When they explain which exploits are fixed, the computers who haven't installed the update yet are vulnerable. It makes sense. 

8 hours ago, Preppy said:

I feel like I've seen people pointing out how to do this.  Pretty sure you can, just need to do a little online sleuthing at the least. :)

Yeah, I know. It's just a small quirk, though. I don't feel like messing around in my registry because of some colors. I just put the accent color on dark grey and the start/taskbar are almost the same as black. It looks pretty damn cool, I think.

On 11/30/2015, 1:29:20, Atlantico said:

These are my bugbears, currently I'm using Windows 10 v1511, latest update. In no particular order:

- Calendar app live tile never shows the current date, or any other information, except when there's a memo attached to the date. 

- I can't add a Google account to Mail app or Calendar app or in the system Settings, I just get error code 0x8007042b as soon as I click "Google". 

- Mail app live tile get stuck on showing 1 unread message, even though there is no unread message.

- Photos app can't read any local image files, only files on OneDrive. 

I have none of these problems.

12 hours ago, kozukumi said:

And yet we still have the old desktop programs for Paint and Notepad which could both be excellent modern apps. 

Eventually, I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen. It's a lot of work to re-write all those apps, though. Give it some time. 

10 hours ago, Rippleman said:

lack  audio controls in action center

On 7/31/2015, 6:45:50, AR556 said:

Unless I'm missing something, it appears as though the Start menu doesn't display all desktop applications. I've had to search for them. And then there is this:

Win10_Network.png

Good ones.

• Like 2

That entire area is filled with nearby wireless networks if you have wifi. 

having that additional info there would be rather pointless and would only add confusioing for regular users even if it's useful for admin who use it occaionally on their own computers, or once on computers they set up. 

One current bugbear for me is the inability to pin 60 items to a jumplist like I was able to do in Windows 7, and 8.1. It is now hardcoded to limit to 11 items, and if you pin 11 items it won't show any recent items. Why?

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

That entire area is filled with nearby wireless networks if you have wifi. 

having that additional info there would be rather pointless and would only add confusioing for regular users even if it's useful for admin who use it occaionally on their own computers, or once on computers they set up. 

Then make it a pro/enterprise feature. Joe user will be confused even if there was only a smiley face there.

7 hours ago, bluesman86 said:

I have none of these problems.

Good for you. Actually the last update of Windows 10 fixed the Mail app live tile issue for me.

Other issues are as annoying as ever. But not for you, so that changes ... nothing actually.

8 minutes ago, mirka10 said:

I was surprised, after watching a video called "How to stop Windows 10 from spying on you " : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScCFQYXbiU on the amount of pre-enabled settings that affects your privacy and intended for collecting personal informations...

Windows 10 is really a spying machine!

I think "spying" isn't the right word, it makes it sound like it is done in secret which isn't the case. Yes they are enabled by default but you can't really offer a personalised service without actually knowing things about the person. Imagine a human PA trying to organise your life without actually knowing anything about you.

Besides everything, with the exception of basic telemetry, can be disabled. The telemetry thing isn't spying (or a big deal imho), it just lets Microsoft know if things updated okay or if they crashed out, etc. It has been in Windows since XP (maybe even 2000) but presented the user with a rather cryptic (to the average joe) message about crash dumb files and submitting them to the CEIP. Now it is just automatic and transparent. It would be nice if Microsoft had made it totally optional and in hindsight I think it would have been the best option to avoid all the negative press it has generated. In reality I doubt even 1% of users would fully disable it anyway.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2015, 4:22:24, Atlantico said:

Good for you. Actually the last update of Windows 10 fixed the Mail app live tile issue for me.

Other issues are as annoying as ever. But not for you, so that changes ... nothing actually.

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade install? The only people around me who run into problems did upgrade installs. 

On 12/4/2015, 10:35:38, mirka10 said:

I was surprised, after watching a video called "How to stop Windows 10 from spying on you " : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScCFQYXbiU on the amount of pre-enabled settings that affects your privacy and intended for collecting personal informations...

Windows 10 is really a spying machine!

It's an evil plot from the government!

IMG_6395.JPG

8 hours ago, RonWesley said:

Windows 10 drives the PC platform forward with its blend of powerful, productive features. Just a couple bugs and design issues damage its sparkle. 

Hi Satya, I didn't know you were on Neowin :)

Lack of information regarding updates. Taking control away from the user. Making life more difficult on techs in the enterprise setting.  And "live" tiles.  I really want the tiles to just die.

When it comes to location, it puts me miles away from where I really am. Would be nice if I could select my home location manually instead have it say I'm miles from where In really am,

I have none. Windows 10 64Bit Pro works great for me. I do use Classic Shell and the only Apps I use are Weather and Mail. For Gaming Win 10 is far better than 7 was.

On ‎7‎.‎12‎.‎2015‎ ‎08‎:‎16‎:‎42, bluesman86 said:

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade install? The only people around me who run into problems did upgrade installs. 

Upgrade install from Windows 8.1

No doubt that began this cascade of weird bugs. But even though these things are annoying, they're not annoying enough to go through a clean install of the OS just yet. Just annoying enough to complain about, which I have on the Microsoft forums.

This one annoys me to no end. VPN connections listed in the network list (from the systray icon) are nothing more than shortcuts to VPN settings page. Then you have to choose your vpn connection again to get a connect dialog. 

Lame, lame, lame. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Atlantico said:

Upgrade install from Windows 8.1

No doubt that began this cascade of weird bugs. But even though these things are annoying, they're not annoying enough to go through a clean install of the OS just yet. Just annoying enough to complain about, which I have on the Microsoft forums.

Lol, ok. A clean install / system reset will probably fixed your problems

Good luck. 

I have a new bugbear.

Latest round of updates laptop went fine.

Was gaming on desktop meanwhile when gtav couldnt access the net then screen went blank screen but still on. 

Nothing would recover so had to hit reset button.

After logging back in, lan & net was all screwy, checked the usual suspects even scansfc /scannow couldnt resolve, unknown error occurred then troubleshooter.

It claims one or more networking components were missing! 

Options are reset pc but ultimately lose my installed games/apps to fix or download latest media kit and do inplace upgrade on 10 itself....wtf! 

Not happy, if it wasnt for the boost dx12 gives my setup, id be going back to 7 tbh im seriously considering it, walked away in disgust last night tbh lol.

My favourite was this one - I'd be impressed if you could install when the pc was off :)

Windows-Updates-WTF.thumb.png.8db54a5b8f

And the store app gives no information as to what has happen - have I checked for updates or not ?

Are-You-Doing-Anything.thumb.png.80628cf

6 minutes ago, Depicus said:

My favourite was this one - I'd be impressed if you could install when the pc was off :)

Windows-Updates-WTF.thumb.png.8db54a5b8f

And the store app gives no information as to what has happen - have I checked for updates or not ?

Are-You-Doing-Anything.thumb.png.80628cf

When I have talked to customers about their backup drives, and I ask them if they turn the computers on or off at night, they say they turn the computer off. Then they ask me if the computer can backup while it's off..... *facepalm*

• Like 2

Edge and it's lack of plugin support.

Still not a fan of the new start menu, but they're stepping in the right direction. The lack of information with regards to changes in KB articles for updates is also annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Found one today while trying to figure out why my Store App would not open on my local user account.  On single column start menu (which is my "admin" account) it looks like this when trying to restart.

Clipboard-2.thumb.jpg.a06f01bca94263a17d vs. this a wide menu (which is my local user account) .  Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.8dfba285521632702f