What are your biggest Windows 10 bugbears?

I just noticed the OneDrive status window that appears when you click on the tray icon is still the same buggy mess as in Win8.1. If the machine is busy when you click on the tray icon the status window no longer disappears until it crashes after you try to close it a few dozen times.

office 2013 says lots of documents are corrupt until you do an online repair under windows 10....

scared me at first

Mine has been ok, surprisingly.

I just noticed the OneDrive status window that appears when you click on the tray icon is still the same buggy mess as in Win8.1. If the machine is busy when you click on the tray icon the status window no longer disappears until it crashes after you try to close it a few dozen times.

I've found that to be either another device is accessing OneDrive or it's stuck trying to process a directory that contains a lot of small files. It's annoying.

My biggest issue is, I have win 8.1 Dell Inspiron bought last year, till now I didn't get any win 10 update prompt  and is updated to the latest.

My biggest issue is, I have win 8.1 Dell Inspiron bought last year, till now I didn't get any win 10 update prompt  and is updated to the latest.

Check model's path on Dell's main site.If it says ''compatible with Windows 10'',do a clean install.

I've found that to be either another device is accessing OneDrive or it's stuck trying to process a directory that contains a lot of small files. It's annoying.

It could happen anytime the window doesn't open immediately, e.g. the machine was on for a while and part of the memory was swapped to disk or the CPU/disk is busy, and all this no matter what OneDrive is doing: I've seen this happen even with completely empty OneDrive folders.

Another annoyance is found is that the idle maintainance trashes the SSD a lot, I find at least 40GB of writes every day with the machine used so far basically just for web browsing. My user profile is still completely empty, there is nothing set to be indexed, the swap file is on another drive, the write cache is disabled for the SSD drive and Firefox is set to store all the cache in memory (disk cache is disabled), also if it was any of my activity causing the writes I would have noticed the counter increasing during my use as well, instead it seems to increase only when I'm not using the machine.

Edited by francescob

All of the non "under the hood" aspects of the OS. Windows 10 is not ready. Edge is not ready. Live tiles are broken. Task manager in tablet mode is broken (if I have two windows open, I close one in the task view it's going back to start screen, not the other app). core apps are broken (mail with outlook.com account hardly syncs, never notify). Battery life is worse than Windows 8.1. Modern Skype is missing. Touch browser is missing. Rotation of screen not working as it should sometimes. Screen scaling is horrible (fonts of modern apps are almost unreadable ("Nextgen Reader" for example) on my ASUS Vivo Note 8, with 8.1 it was great). OneDrive lacks features.

This is my experience with both of my devices (Tablet and Laptop), both after a clean install. I'll continue to use the OS and report bugs, but saying that Windows 10 is ready for prime time... no way. Maybe 5-6 months from today.

This is such a silly one, but the yellow smiley face in IE11 is really bugging me, looks out of place next to the other 3 icons and for some reason I'm finding it quite distracting at the moment.

At least it is a visible way to gather non-technical level feedback.Regular nerd beta-level info is less relevant than a random user clicking a smiley.

• 3 months later...

Unless I'm missing something, it appears as though the Start menu doesn't display all desktop applications. I've had to search for them. And then there is this:

Win10_Network.png

So I submitted feedback. requesting the above and got this with the new update.

*Claps hands*

Damn good effort Microsoft....damn good effort :rolleyes:

netsettings2.png

It would take them 2-3 more years to get their UI and features sorted out. 

But I hate the fact that they like to add irrelevant new features and glaringly ignore most rewuested ones.

Microsoft still wants to give us what they want to shove down our throats and not what we want. All we want is a consistent polished UI. 

But they just tweak their legacy UI to fake it to look like Modern one. Yes I am looking at you Mr. Context Menu.

• 2 weeks later...

These are my bugbears, currently I'm using Windows 10 v1511, latest update. In no particular order:

- Calendar app live tile never shows the current date, or any other information, except when there's a memo attached to the date. 

- I can't add a Google account to Mail app or Calendar app or in the system Settings, I just get error code 0x8007042b as soon as I click "Google". 

- Mail app live tile get stuck on showing 1 unread message, even though there is no unread message.

- Anti-aliasing still sucks, text looks jagged normally and blurry if a live tile or button is pressed, e.g. in Settings.

- Photos app can't read any local image files, only files on OneDrive. 

- The tiny strip on the right when looking at all apps in Start Screen instead of being able to see all apps in one screen like in Windows 8.

- I miss the colorful tiles in Windows 8, now they're all monotone and boring.

- I miss the button in the lower right hand corner (Windows button) that was there in Windows 8.

- I wish the Notification Center could be accessed with a gesture like the Charms bar was in Windows 8.

- Start Screen in Windows 10 is inferior to Windows 8.1 for no good reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Atlantico said:

These are my bugbears, currently I'm using Windows 10 v1511, latest update. In no particular order:

- Calendar app live tile never shows the current date, or any other information, except when there's a memo attached to the date. 

- I can't add a Google account to Mail app or Calendar app or in the system Settings, I just get error code 0x8007042b as soon as I click "Google". 

- Mail app live tile get stuck on showing 1 unread message, even though there is no unread message.

- Anti-aliasing still sucks, text looks jagged normally and blurry if a live tile or button is pressed, e.g. in Settings.

- Photos app can't read any local image files, only files on OneDrive. 

- The tiny strip on the right when looking at all apps in Start Screen instead of being able to see all apps in one screen like in Windows 8.

- I miss the colorful tiles in Windows 8, now they're all monotone and boring.

- I miss the button in the lower right hand corner (Windows button) that was there in Windows 8.

- I wish the Notification Center could be accessed with a gesture like the Charms bar was in Windows 8.

- Start Screen in Windows 10 is inferior to Windows 8.1 for no good reason.

For your issues with Calendar, Mail, and Photos, try removing the apps and reinstalling from Store. You can find and remove apps using Get-AppXPackage *partofname* | Remove-AppXPackage.

I think Mail and Calendar come up with *windowscommu* and Photos can be just *photos*.

Ever since the 1115 update, I've been 100% happy. It runs great, looks great, and it brings many great new features that I use all the time (coming from Windows 7).

Oh, one small thingy: I wish I could leave the taskbar and Start black, and the accent color on windows colors. That would be cool.

3 hours ago, bluesman86 said:

Ever since the 1115 update, I've been 100% happy. It runs great, looks great, and it brings many great new features that I use all the time (coming from Windows 7).

Oh, one small thingy: I wish I could leave the taskbar and Start black, and the accent color on windows colors. That would be cool.

Agreed! Im at a loss why they dont have that feature.

My other bubear is the total lack of information of what update fixes/brings to W10 as a sys site admin i want to know dammit! :p 

On 11/14/2015, 6:36:47, AR556 said:

So I submitted feedback. requesting the above and got this with the new update.

*Claps hands*

Damn good effort Microsoft....damn good effort :rolleyes:

netsettings2.png

thats very wierd, i dont have that at all (on my desktop) but I get the same on laptop as you.

Desktop 

net.thumb.jpg.353789669601d64ef1bb70d7e9

Windows 10 10586.17 is an excellent OS. It has the options I had hoped for at release. Better 6 months late than never.

However my biggest bug bear is that while the OS is very good the modern apps are still total and utter ######. Edge is pathetic. Groove Music is horrible. Film & TV sucks compared to (free) alternatives. Phone Companion is basically just a program that links to store apps.

And yet we still have the old desktop programs for Paint and Notepad which could both be excellent modern apps. I think Microsoft just put their interns on the modern apps. If I wanted to use minimal/featureless and buggy apps I would use Gnome Shell. I expect much more from Microsoft tbh.

2 hours ago, kozukumi said:

Windows 10 10586.17 is an excellent OS. It has the options I had hoped for at release. Better 6 months late than never.

However my biggest bug bear is that while the OS is very good the modern apps are still total and utter ######. Edge is pathetic. Groove Music is horrible. Film & TV sucks compared to (free) alternatives. Phone Companion is basically just a program that links to store apps.

And yet we still have the old desktop programs for Paint and Notepad which could both be excellent modern apps. I think Microsoft just put their interns on the modern apps. If I wanted to use minimal/featureless and buggy apps I would use Gnome Shell. I expect much more from Microsoft tbh.

agreed! 

I'm beginning to wonder wtf MS are smoking, look at the mail client for example, outlook express from Win 9x era has more functionality than the modern mail app. This ain't the only app that seems less features = modern store apps, netflix app is the same, hell it doesn't even offer me HD as an option when the website does! like wtf! Ive stopped looking at all the modern apps supplied in the OS, it lets down the actual OS a lot.

27 minutes ago, Mando said:

agreed! 

I'm beginning to wonder wtf MS are smoking, look at the mail client for example, outlook express from Win 9x era has more functionality than the modern mail app. This ain't the only app that seems less features = modern store apps, netflix app is the same, hell it doesn't even offer me HD as an option when the website does! like wtf! Ive stopped looking at all the modern apps supplied in the OS, it lets down the actual OS a lot.

Yup. I understand the difficulties with things like Edge. I mean a browser and rendering engine is crazy difficult to develop however Microsoft have known IE sucks ass for years. YEARS! They have had almost an eternity in terms of tech years to work on a new browser and the best we can get after all these years is Edge?!

As for the other modern apps it is totally inexcusable the quality (or lack of) that we have in the Microsoft modern apps. They should be the very best to show off how awesome the new modern/universal app platform is. Sorry but if you want people to develop top quality universal apps then you need show off the platform with shiny amazing apps not pathetic mail disjointed messaging apps. They look awful, they perform pretty poorly on an average machine (I have an i7, 16GB RAM and an SSD so why the hell do some modern apps take several seconds to launch?).

Personally I feel Microsoft are still going to suffer in the OS market in the long run even with these amazing 120+ million installs already. It doesn't really matter if people are running Windows 10 if they are not taking advantage of the parts of the OS that make money such as the store and universal apps.

To be honest I am tired of trying to think positive about the future of Windows. It is clear on the phone it is totally dead and nothing can bring it back to life. On the tablet front it will do ok for full-computer tablets (Surface Pro) but it isn't going to compete with the iPad or the big Android tablet sellers. It is just doesn't have the apps people want and, lets be honest, most people hate the look and feel of live tiles. Even if they are better (personally I don't think so) than icons or widgets people just have that bad taste in their mouth from Windows 8.

On the desktop Windows will continue to do just fine in terms of users however the way OS makers make money from the OS has changed. People don't think they should pay for the OS. Why should they when iOS, OS X, Android and Chrome OS are all updated for free? (while on a supported platform).

In 3 years time how do you convince people who just bought a computer/tablet running Windows 10 that they should pay £100 to upgrade to Windows 11? This is the real dilemma for Microsoft in the long term. Microsoft wouldn't have seen anything near the 100+ million installs of Windows 10 if they had tried to charge for it. Will it remain free come next July? Time will tell although I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Anyway I have written enough lol. I can't help but feel all the positive reviews of Windows 10 are only positive because they turned the start screen back into a menu and made it free. Almost everything else about Windows 10 is no better than Windows 7/8 (depending on which parts) or worse. If you are to just judge Windows 10 on the new (modern/universal) apps it is an awful release in my opinion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kozukumi said:

Yup. I understand the difficulties with things like Edge. I mean a browser and rendering engine is crazy difficult to develop however Microsoft have known IE sucks ass for years. YEARS! They have had almost an eternity in terms of tech years to work on a new browser and the best we can get after all these years is Edge?!

As for the other modern apps it is totally inexcusable the quality (or lack of) that we have in the Microsoft modern apps. They should be the very best to show off how awesome the new modern/universal app platform is. Sorry but if you want people to develop top quality universal apps then you need show off the platform with shiny amazing apps not pathetic mail disjointed messaging apps. They look awful, they perform pretty poorly on an average machine (I have an i7, 16GB RAM and an SSD so why the hell do some modern apps take several seconds to launch?).

Personally I feel Microsoft are still going to suffer in the OS market in the long run even with these amazing 120+ million installs already. It doesn't really matter if people are running Windows 10 if they are not taking advantage of the parts of the OS that make money such as the store and universal apps.

To be honest I am tired of trying to think positive about the future of Windows. It is clear on the phone it is totally dead and nothing can bring it back to life. On the tablet front it will do ok for full-computer tablets (Surface Pro) but it isn't going to compete with the iPad or the big Android tablet sellers. It is just doesn't have the apps people want and, lets be honest, most people hate the look and feel of live tiles. Even if they are better (personally I don't think so) than icons or widgets people just have that bad taste in their mouth from Windows 8.

On the desktop Windows will continue to do just fine in terms of users however the way OS makers make money from the OS has changed. People don't think they should pay for the OS. Why should they when iOS, OS X, Android and Chrome OS are all updated for free? (while on a supported platform).

In 3 years time how do you convince people who just bought a computer/tablet running Windows 10 that they should pay £100 to upgrade to Windows 11? This is the real dilemma for Microsoft in the long term. Microsoft wouldn't have seen anything near the 100+ million installs of Windows 10 if they had tried to charge for it. Will it remain free come next July? Time will tell although I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Anyway I have written enough lol. I can't help but feel all the positive reviews of Windows 10 are only positive because they turned the start screen back into a menu and made it free. Almost everything else about Windows 10 is no better than Windows 7/8 (depending on which parts) or worse. If you are to just judge Windows 10 on the new (modern/universal) apps it is an awful release in my opinion.

I'm right there with you on that. Only reason i'm sticking with the reduced functionality is I am quite smitten with the frame rate boost DX12 is giving me with my aging 660ti SC 3Gb. Thats pretty much it tbh on my games desktop. Im glad it was a free upgrade, because right now, it ain't worth £5 never mind £90.

On my centrino based laptop, it looks nicer @1280x800 14" laptop screen than my desktop @1080p 27" monitor, are you for real MS?

MS need a kick up the arse IMO, shouting hey look we now allow YOU to have coloured active window frames isn't enough tbh.

We had that in Win 95, total inept clowns, they give some back and expect everyone to go wooo, look at that "new feature" i'm growing tired of them tbh :p 

19 minutes ago, Mando said:

I'm right there with you on that. Only reason i'm sticking with the reduced functionality is I am quite smitten with the frame rate boost DX12 is giving me with my aging 660ti SC 3Gb. Thats pretty much it tbh on my games desktop. Im glad it was a free upgrade, because right now, it ain't worth £5 never mind £90.

On my centrino based laptop, it looks nicer @1280x800 14" laptop screen than my desktop @1080p 27" monitor, are you for real MS?

MS need a kick up the arse IMO, shouting hey look we now allow YOU to have coloured active window frames isn't enough tbh.

We had that in Win 95, total inept clowns, they give some back and expect everyone to go wooo, look at that "new feature" i'm growing tired of them tbh :p 

I use it because of the 4 way window snapping and now in 1511 the 2 way split-resize. That is actually the only reason I prefer it lol.