How do you like windows 10

I love it although it could be faster. Definitely think Windows 7 was much faster.

Not sure how that would be, 10 is faster than 8 that is faster than 7 

I think it is pretty great. Edge still needs some major improvements (extensions, and a way to right click and save as - how did they miss that one?), and the Mail client has trouble connecting to my work Exchange server. Also hope they'd finally evolve Groove Music into an actual music manager application so I can organize and rate stuff.

Other than that, everything works really well and fast. Love the new start menu on desktop and the Xbox integration. Also the multiple desktops is pretty nice, even though I know Windows was late to the party on having that built in to the OS. Also, some of the universal apps that have come out since launch are also promising.

Haven't used Cortana much yet but plan to use that more on my Surface. Would also like some more control and explanation of privacy options.

I like it, but I'm not crazy about the whole data mining stuff coming to a desktop OS, though. The stuff they want you to allow for the express settings is troubling. I hooked up a webcam, tried out Cortana and disabled her shortly afterward. The whole thing just gave me the creeps. Too much data sent to MS and "trusted partners". If I could just ask her things related to my PC and have her research data online WITHOUT data collection/retention, then I'd use her. I'm tired of being a product to companies in exchange for services. Google no longer gets much traffic from me because of this.

As for problems related to upgrading. My desktop had network connectivity problems until a driver update and my HTPC upgraded with no issues. A Toshiba laptop I upgraded for a friend finished and worked great until the second reboot, upon which it would no longer boot. Windows recovery disc couldn't fix it. Ended up performing a rest, only keeping files. Had to re-install some stuff, but I think it worked out or the best as its much faster/leaner now without all the extra crap installed.

• Like 1

'What inconsistent mess?  Just making a statement without any backup is just that a inconsistent statement.  If you are able please explain in greater detail. . .:)

if you used it you'd know the inconsistencies..... everything from an unfinished settings to 6 different type of window chromes depending on what you are doing, to a very UI inconstant Edge browser that doesn't even follow the OS UI design (one fast example: double wide borders for dialogs compared to the single wide border in the OS for the same exact element)... to font differences across the OS for the same elements... the list goes on and on... isometric icons for some things but not others... monochrome icons for some but not others of the same type.... I could make a pretty long list if I had time

Then why was it released? My coworkers laughed at me when I told them how aweful 10 was with a reply back saying yeah like MS would release a buggy OS. Well joke is now on them. 

Windows 7 was more stable beta1 than 10 RTM with only 1 real bug in 2009 with indexing mp3 files. It is the best OS. 8.1 too has issues with corrupted updates so it is not perfect. 10 in it's present state was unusable on my main workstation. I feel the press is praising it but in reality it is another WindowsME. It works or man it is messed up kind of scenario. 

The OS should not have been released to make back to school. It was not quality a RTM should be.

Windows ME was an unstable mess.

You are whining about colors. Clearly it doesn't suffer the problems ME did. 

10s on all my boxes and I have few complaints.  An Edge/consent UI glitch where if I tell it to run a download it just stops accepting input, and an audio driver glitch with the included Music app.  Some NVIDIA users are having issues with the vidcard drivers at the moment apparently?  I wouldn't know.

Overall it's very worthwhile, but if you want a problem free experience you might wait a few months.

if you used it you'd know the inconsistencies..... everything from an unfinished settings to 6 different type of window chromes depending on what you are doing, to a very UI inconstant Edge browser that doesn't even follow the OS UI design (one fast example: double wide borders for dialogs compared to the single wide border in the OS for the same exact element)... to font differences across the OS for the same elements... the list goes on and on... isometric icons for some things but not others... monochrome icons for some but not others of the same type.... I could make a pretty long list if I had time

One of the weird ones is how Universal apps are missing some window related animations, like the lack of an opening fade in, while the old (Win32?) apps do.

For example, open File Explorer, then a ModernUI app like Weather, and note the difference.

Windows ME was an unstable mess.

You are whining about colors. Clearly it doesn't suffer the problems ME did. 

Since the UI team and the Kernel / base OS team are completely different I'd say it's fine for people to whine about UI elements since the UI team wont be working on system stability and vise versa... the kernel team seems to be doing a great job with the past view versions... the UI team though, lacking...

Since the UI team and the Kernel / base OS team are completely different I'd say it's fine for people to whine about UI elements since the UI team wont be working on system stability and vise versa... the kernel team seems to be doing a great job with the past view versions... the UI team though, lacking...

Please re-read what I said.

You cannot draw parallels between UI inconsistency and outright instability and call them the same to suit an agenda.  That is what sinetheo is doing (check the post prior).

It is fine for him to whine about whatever he wants, but he should at least be accurate in accusations.  He can't even tell us what is so unusable about Windows 10.

Edited by adrynalyne

Then why was it released? My coworkers laughed at me when I told them how aweful 10 was with a reply back saying yeah like MS would release a buggy OS. Well joke is now on them. 

Windows 7 was more stable beta1 than 10 RTM with only 1 real bug in 2009 with indexing mp3 files. It is the best OS. 8.1 too has issues with corrupted updates so it is not perfect. 10 in it's present state was unusable on my main workstation. I feel the press is praising it but in reality it is another WindowsME. It works or man it is messed up kind of scenario. 

The OS should not have been released to make back to school. It was not quality a RTM should be.

Because there are no major bugs that are forcing them to delay the release!

Delaying it because of some colors and borders inconsistent? delaying it because few percentage of people have problems with the upgrade? it doesn't make sense!

Because there are no major bugs that are forcing them to delay the release!

Delaying it because of some colors and borders inconsistent? delaying it because few percentage of people have problems with the upgrade? it doesn't make sense!

But but, those colors and borders make it unstable for him!

Over all I like it but has an issue with 1 piece of hardware, my Microsoft lifecam, irony or what? No drivers so it bugged out. Got it to sort of work but no interface.

You can't make  fair judgment by comparing between 3 years old OS stability and fresh OS stability

Windows 10 isn't new, it's no more new than Windows 8.1 was at release. It's a revision of a 3 year old system, which was a revision of another 3 year old system which was a revision of another older system etc. Windows 8 was very polished when it was released, as was Windows 8.1, while Windows 10 is not. 

I can indeed make a fair judgement on the state of Windows 10 at release compared to the other systems at release. I can also express my disappointment that Microsoft didn't take their time to polish this system further before release. I also wrote that Windows 10 will probably be very well polished in a year's time. But it isn't today. That's fair to say.

• Like 2

Windows 10 isn't new, it's no more new than Windows 8.1 was at release. It's a revision of a 3 year old system, which was a revision of another 3 year old system which was a revision of another older system etc. Windows 8 was very polished when it was released, as was Windows 8.1, while Windows 10 is not. 

I can indeed make a fair judgement on the state of Windows 10 at release compared to the other systems at release. I can also express my disappointment that Microsoft didn't take their time to polish this system further before release. I also wrote that Windows 10 will probably be very well polished in a year's time. But it isn't today. That's fair to say.

You say they were polished, but plenty of people said otherwise when they came out. 

You can't make  fair judgment by comparing between 3 years old OS stability and fresh OS stability

Of course you can if you are going to swap one for the other. Windows 8 was more stable from the first Consumer Preview than Windows 10 is right now. As I type this, for example, my Bluetooth drops out for the thousandth time (second time this morning, and I only switched it on 10 minutes ago) and my screen goes black for two seconds, then flickers back into life (which is a new one I haven't encountered before). It is hardly the kind of experience that is going to have everyone flocking back to Windows, is it?

Microsoft never learn - W10 needed to be the most stable, reliable, slick version ever and it just isn't. Don't get me wrong, it is still better than OS X or Linux, it's just not better than Windows 8, nor likely to be for some considerable time, I'm afraid. That's why I am not going to upgrade either of the PCs I rely on every day, just this throw-away tablet I bought for the purpose of testing W10.

Edited by MotorMouth

'What inconsistent mess?  Just making a statement without any backup is just that a inconsistent statement.  If you are able please explain in greater detail. . .:)

1. They still haven't finished porting everything from Control Panel to Settings. They have had three years since W8 launched and Control Panel is still there. At this rate, we will have to put up with both for at least another five years.

2. They are using at least four different style of icons in different places, from the new outline icons in Settings through to the uglier full colour icons in Explorer. They need to pick a single icon style and use it everywhere.

3. They are still using some dialog boxes that have been around since Windows 95, e.g. "Sounds" and most other driver dialogs, with tiny little windows and half-a-dozen tabs because when they first introducrd them, the average screen res was 800 x 600. Then there are dialogs from the VIsta/Win7 era, like Control Panel, as well as newer, slicker looking windows like Settings. They need to get rid of all the old style and give Windows 10 a consistent look and feel.

Overall it makes the whole OS feel half-finished and gives the very distinct impression that Microsoft just doesn't give a ###### about the user experience. OS X may look boring but at least it looks designed, not just thrown together.

I liked 7 from the day it was released.  Still like 7.  I think since win10 will be an ever-evolving creature - it will become good.  Right now, its almost OK.

I disliked 7 from the day it was released. It didn't fix any of the issues I had with Vista but managed to introduce new ones. I think it is the worst version of Windows I've ever used, until now, in that it didn't feel like an upgrade from Vista in any meaningful way. It was more like Vista SP3, which we didn't need because Vista SP2 was actually fine.

I think Windows 10 is the same. It may be better than Windows 8 was on the day it was released, at least in some ways, but it is definitely not as good as the current version of Windows 8 and doesn't really address any of the issues I have with Windows 8 anyway. If anything, it has made those things worse. e.g. Incsistent UI elements. Microsoft haven't improved anything, they have simply swapped one set of problems for another and the way they have rushed the release gives it all an air of desperation, shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic. I'd prefer that they had waited until it was ready, not released it in the condition it is, which is no better than the very first Dev Preview version of Windows 8 was, 6 months before release.

Again, don't get me wrong, it is not terrible, it just isn't as good as I think it needs to be to do what Microsoft want it to do for them. It certainly isn't good enough that I'd even consider installing it over W8 on either of the PCs I rely on every day, and won't be until it has a usable touch experience and a browser that offers a similar UX to the Metro version of IE11.

Everything in general seems to work great after taking the update route. as a gamer, windows 10 is great due to the Dx12 stack. I just miss some of the past windows version features.

the control panel is dumbed down or missing features. It's almost as if there's a fight between Settings and control panel. Though, the settings seem to be the focal point of the issue.