• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How do you like windows 10

PoultryTumor    5

"Speedy" how? All the benchmarks I've seen point to it being almost exactly the same as Windows 8, as in a few percent faster in some benchmarks and the same in others. It certainly doesn't feel any faster to me.

Apps and programs opening, boot up time, almost anything I can think of is faster for me. Not worlds faster in all areas but noticeable enough that I feel confident in saying it at all. A little boost here and there has an apparent cumulative effect. I'm sure on good hardware the differences are negligible. On my so-so desktop though everything seems snappier.

Edited by PoultryTumor
Word Salad

adrynalyne    11,698

Apps and programs opening, boot up time, almost anything I can think of is faster for me. Not worlds faster in all areas but noticeable enough that I feel confident in saying it at all. A little boost here and there has a cumulative. I'm sure on good hardware the differences are negligible. On my so-so desktop though everything seems snappier.

I've a feeling those who are complaining about performance haven't done a clean installation and are probably using 8.1 drivers.

Auditor    121

Dude. I think my install is corrupted. I'll call MS to have it removed.

orlly.jpg

You must be using old build. I was using using RTM with a clean install and it is not there. Now you can feel super cool about yourself for having picture viewer.

kachan64    74

Sleep and Shutdown are way faster than Windows 8.1. Of course, I don't have much installed at the moment and not much start up items & process running in the background.

Apart from that, I've been running into mouse cursor slides when I'm not even touching it, but is due to my faulty mouse not Windows 10 related.

Also page not found bug when opening classic control panel, system properties etc But is due to a program I installed which caused this bug. 

But apart from those minor issue, everything here is working find so far. No driver issues or any other issues that others may have.

adrynalyne    11,698

You must be using old build. I was using using RTM with a clean install and it is not there. Now you can feel super cool about yourself for having picture viewer.

I already posted that it shows on my Insider machine, but here is a second one, that comes from my laptop that has a clean retail install of Windows 10 Pro on it.  It has never been upgraded. I formatted and installed from a flash drive using a real, retail key.

Capture15.PNG

Not sure what to tell you. Its also on my Enterprise install and my daughter's Home install.

• Like 1

kachan64    74

I have pro as well, but mine showing the normal new photos app.

ZcfI8Ar.png

How did u guys do the upgrade?

Win 7 > Win 10

Win 8.1 > Win 10

kachan64    74

I've a feeling those who are complaining about performance haven't done a clean installation and are probably using 8.1 drivers.

Microsoft has updated it's drivers even if you're upgrading from Windows 7/8.1. I checked with Driver Booster and didn't prompt me to update any driver apart from one (sound) which is newly released.

adrynalyne    11,698

I have pro as well, but mine showing the normal new photos app.

ZcfI8Ar.png

How did u guys do the upgrade?

Win 7 > Win 10

Win 8.1 > Win 10

You don't have this additional menu?

Capture.PNG

This is my upgraded Enterprise install.

adrynalyne    11,698

Microsoft has updated it's drivers even if you're upgrading from Windows 7/8.1. I checked with Driver Booster and didn't prompt me to update any driver apart from one (sound) which is newly released.

Some haven't. For example, I had an Intel IO driver and Virtual Buttons driver that were not available on Windows Update.  The OEM had updated to Windows 10 drivers though.

So some more obscure stuff doesn't show up unfortunately.

• Like 1

kachan64    74

You don't have this additional menu?

Capture.PNG

This is my upgraded Enterprise install.

Yes I do. But some people are complaining that their photos app still uses Windows 8.1 icons or messed up

rmucvlA.png

Zagadka    4,039

That is really weird. More inconsistencies in MS's design language.

My upgrade was 8.1->10 release

kachan64    74

Some haven't. For example, I had an Intel IO driver and Virtual Buttons driver that were not available on Windows Update.  The OEM had updated to Windows 10 drivers though.

So some more obscure stuff doesn't show up unfortunately.

Yeah true that.

That is really weird. More inconsistencies in MS's design language.

My upgrade was 8.1->10 release

K, dono. Must be happening to some computers. But I've got prompted to download a Windows Update yesterday 

adrynalyne    11,698

Yes I do. But some people are complaining that their photos app still uses Windows 8.1 icons or messed up

rmucvlA.png

Interesting.

For me:

It is blue on Enterprise upgrade.

It uses the old 8.1 Photos icon on clean Pro.

It is blue on the Insider version I have too.

Maybe I haven't updated my apps...

kachan64    74

Depends on what accent color you choose for your Windows frame, taskbar etc. So the icon of the photo app blends into that color. So it's not a bug, it's a feature.

For the Windows 8.1 icon bug, it's really weird.

• Like 2

adrynalyne    11,698

Actually, looking at it, I think its the different monitor outputting slightly different colors in my case. I believe they are the same.

Depends on what accent color you choose for your Windows frame, taskbar etc. So the icon of the photo app blends into that color. So it's not a bug, it's a feature.

For the Windows 8.1 icon bug, it's really weird.

Ahhh, mystery solved, for me anyway :D

• Like 1

EdLuX    13

You are not wrong in saying it doesn't feel like a massive update. With the whole "Windows 10 because it is such a huge change" it feels kind of meh.

I've read a lot of reviews about W10 and I'm wondering about the sometimes almost hysterical enthusiasm it has caused. Maybe to compensate for the often unfair harshness W8(1) got treated with?

I think it's a bit strange, considering the issues W10 (still) has, like the unfinishedness and the imho rather blatant breach of privacy it suffers from.

I think W10 is part of a worrying trend of developing software that wants to become smarter than its user (which is of course true in case of many phone/tablet/pc owners) ;)

LimeMaster    15,600

I'm not on an upgraded install. Note the checkbox.

Capture15.PNG

Nope, I don’t see it listed on this clean install. You probably used something like Winaero Tweaker to restore it:

OBxEKhV.png

EdLuX    13

I've checked my own final insider W10 build, and the right click menu does indeed still give me the opportunity to choose Windows Photo Viewer. But even if this weren't the case I really don't understand what's all the fuzz about. You are still completely free to choose whatever 3d party picture viewer you want and associate whichever file type you want with it.

I consider Windows Photo Viewer to be a legacy application. It wouldn't surprise me if it will be completely replaced and removed from any future updates. Get used to it.

adrynalyne    11,698

Nope, I don’t see it listed on this clean install. You probably used something like Winaero Tweaker to restore it:

OBxEKhV.png

Winaero tweaker, LMAO.  Is this how you justify differences, by making things up that I have supposedly done?

I've checked my own final insider W10 build, and the right click menu does indeed still give me the opportunity to choose Windows Photo Viewer. But even if this weren't the case I really don't understand what's all the fuzz about. You are still completely free to choose whatever 3d party picture viewer you want and associate whichever file type you want with it.

I consider Windows Photo Viewer to be a legacy application. It wouldn't surprise me if it will be completely replaced and removed from any future updates. Get used to it.

Choice is hard :(

LimeMaster    15,600

Winaero tweaker, LMAO.  Is this how you justify differences, by making things up that I have supposedly done?

OK then, I can only assume that you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8, because Windows Photo Viewer is definitely not in clean installs of Windows 10 RTM.  

adrynalyne    11,698

OK then, I can only assume that you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8, because Windows Photo Viewer is definitely not in clean installs of Windows 10 RTM.  

Well you assumed incorrectly.

LimeMaster    15,600

Well you assumed incorrectly.

Then you upgraded from an Insider Preview build.

adrynalyne    11,698

Then you upgraded from an Insider Preview build.

Moving goalposts. The favorite past time of Neowinians. 

It must be this.

Later

or this

Later

or, this!

As I said, it was not upgraded from a previous version of Windows. I made it clear it was an Insider build from the get-go.

LimeMaster    15,600

Moving goalposts. The favorite past time of Neowinians. 

It must be this.

Later

or this

Later

or, this!

As I said, it was not upgraded from a previous version of Windows. I made it clear it was an Insider build from the get-go.

Alright, alright, no need to get annoyed. I was just telling you that most people won't have the Windows Photo Viewer.

You need to relax more. Perhaps you should check the Random Picture Thread.

• Like 1

Yusuf M.    1,362

Alright guys, cut it out. Chances are you'll have the option for Windows Photo Viewer if you upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1. If not, then chances are you won't have it and you'll need to use a registry tweak to restore it (or use WinaeroTweaker).

• Like 1