How do you like windows 10

My laptop pretty much is brand new, but I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Wouldn't be buying one with Win 10 already installed, since my laptop is top of the line, and will be a long time before I need another one.

Because there are no major bugs that are forcing them to delay the release!

Delaying it because of some colors and borders inconsistent? delaying it because few percentage of people have problems with the upgrade? it doesn't make sense!

Are you SERIOUS?? Go on youtube and watch all the folks complaining about how they made the mistake of WIndows 10. Off the top of my head:

1. Edge crashes

2. Edge doesn't do extensions

3. Apps do not remember where they are opened last

4. Visual artifacts show

5. Menu items are missing or not showing on half the screen

6. SSDs in raid are treated like usb drives and mountable

7. Sound issues on realtek sound chips

8. Nvidia ... enough said

9. Data that uses tail optimization with .NET randomly corrupting due to 4.6 bug (this hits 8.1 users too if they have VS 2015 installed)

10. ATI drivers crashing and causing BSOD

11. Glitches and freezes of apps failing to start up

12. MS just realeased a monster 360 meg fix of patches in just the first week

13. Placeholders missing in Onedrive

Sorry I standbye WIndows 10 is not ready and is unusable on my machine. I can't get it work on some basic tasks without a bug. Windows 7 didn't have these problems. Only Windows ME did. Terrible OS right now and my coworkers are laughing at those silly enough to install. In 2016 after the 2nd update it MIGHT be stable enough for desktop but I have work to do and can't afford downtime

• Like 2

Petty enough to respond though.

Seriously, stay on topic and stop bickering.

On topic:  I finally upgraded a machine last night and I must say that some things or nice and it's stable so far, but the UI inconsistencies and icons are driving me crazy.  Some of them make the OS as a whole look pretty childish and "put together", IMHO.

I like the new notification area.  Trying to set a default browser takes too make clicks and not real intuitive.  If I say Firefox should be my default, then it takes me to the defaults where I have to click on Internet Explorer just to select Firefox a second time.

Haven't had time to REALLY play with it yet, but will soon.  I do think that 8.1 was a nice update from 8, but at work we had a LOT of problems with updates causing a repair loop that wouldn't actually repair anything.  Hopefully we don't have those issues with 10.  We'll be staying with Win7 for a while at my current school, though as it's been pretty reliable.  Then maybe make the move to Win10 next year.

Edited by farmeunit

Opinions are like that.

Sure, they're subjective. So a plenty of people probably thought what you claimed they did. Plenty of people thought otherwise. That's neither here nor there. 

I made an objective observation. Windows 8.1 on release *on release* day 1 was more polished and bug free than Windows 10 on day one. Not an opinion. Fact.

Sure, they're subjective. So a plenty of people probably thought what you claimed they did. Plenty of people thought otherwise. That's neither here nor there. 

I made an objective observation. Windows 8.1 on release *on release* day 1 was more polished and bug free than Windows 10 on day one. Not an opinion. Fact.

That is because 8.1 was a small update to 8.0, and not nearly the size and scope of Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 on release *on release* day 1 was more polished and bug free than Windows 10 on day one. Not an opinion. Fact.

Windows 8, or Windows 8.1? Windows 8 was met with the wild cries of millions of nerds. Win10 is in no ways a really complete platform, but there aren't quite as many people spitting at it in disgust. When we reach a "10.1" level upgrade (whatever they call it), then measure it against 8.1 or even 7,

After a few setting changes, I've got it pretty much working like all the previous versions of Windows have. I'll eventually blow away my main install and load this on. Until then, it sits in a VM.

2. is not a bug. MS said extensions will come eventually

7. No problem here with Realtek sound chip, just not as loud as with Win 7/8

8. Nvidia is Nvidia's problem, not MS

12. the patches were not bug fixes, just performance enhancements and such.

Sheesh... with all the myriads of hardware and software installed on machines out there, of course some are going to get hosed (and with many with not much basic troubleshooting knowledge) and will gnash their teeth and cry to the heavens Windows 10 sucks.

Are you SERIOUS?? Go on youtube and watch all the folks complaining about how they made the mistake of WIndows 10. Off the top of my head:

1. Edge crashes

4. Visual artifacts show

9. Data that uses tail optimization with .NET randomly corrupting due to 4.6 bug (this hits 8.1 users too if they have VS 2015 installed)

Sorry I standbye WIndows 10 is not ready and is unusable on my machine. I can't get it work on some basic tasks without a bug. Windows 7 didn't have these problems. Only Windows ME did. Terrible OS right now and my coworkers are laughing at those silly enough to install. In 2016 after the 2nd update it MIGHT be stable enough for desktop but I have work to do and can't afford downtime

1. Edge crashes

4. Visual artifacts show

1. Not here.

2. Neither did Chrome when it first came out.

3. Never noticed

5. Like what?

7. Not on mine. Even so, thats a realtek issue.

8. Nvidia issue.

9. That is a .NET framework issue, not Windows 10.

10. ATI issue

11. Not here.

12. Which is a rollup of most patches already released since 10240 dropped. How can this be an issue? Would you rather them not fix things? How many GB of patches does Windows 7 have now?

13. App issue.

I am sorry to hear that you cannot figure out how to make Windows 10 usable. I work on it 8-12 hours a day developing software. It has yet to let me down with anything I couldn't figure out how to deal with. Out of your entire list, only 2-3 issues (out of 13) are actually the fault of Windows 10.

What exactly is your job that Windows 10 is so unusable?  More importantly, what exactly is your job that you installed Windows 10 on a business machine?

Edited by adrynalyne

I upgraded my laptop twice to Windows 10, I do not like it. I did like how quick it was, however the start menu and a few other things just set me away. I will be sticking with Windows 7 (Oh no Microsoft fanboys!!) until they come up with something better.

I use my computer for school and work, I expect a system to work good, not have "cool new features" that I won't use, such as Cortana, or stealing my data by default (which of course I disabled data gathering the best they allow). I am overall disappointed with Microsoft, they have moved away from a business environment to an Apple hipster environment. 

I pray the Linux is able to dig its claws into a greater portion of the market share so that they can have some decent business applications only available on Windows (and don't tell me use a virtual machine or wine, you know it'ts not the same!). 

I also had problems playing Halo PC in Windows 10 :blush:.

It made me switch to Linux + OS X. Does that answer your question? Now if you excuse me, I need to go down to my basement and recompile my kernel. /s

It didn't make me switch to Linux, but I removed it from both the computers I was running it on and reinstalled Linux back on them!

In other words, i did not like it at all. Half of the entire OS didn't work what so ever on my machines!

I upgraded my laptop twice to Windows 10, I do not like it. I did like how quick it was, however the start menu and a few other things just set me away. I will be sticking with Windows 7 (Oh no Microsoft fanboys!!) until they come up with something better.

I use my computer for school and work, I expect a system to work good, not have "cool new features" that I won't use, such as Cortana, or stealing my data by default (which of course I disabled data gathering the best they allow). I am overall disappointed with Microsoft, they have moved away from a business environment to an Apple hipster environment. 

I pray the Linux is able to dig its claws into a greater portion of the market share so that they can have some decent business applications only available on Windows (and don't tell me use a virtual machine or wine, you know it'ts not the same!). 

I also had problems playing Halo PC in Windows 10 :blush:.

Apple hipster environment?

Wow...

1. Not here.

2. Neither did Chrome when it first came out.

3. Never noticed

5. Like what?

7. Not on mine. Even so, thats a realtek issue.

8. Nvidia issue.

9. That is a .NET framework issue, not Windows 10.

10. ATI issue

11. Not here.

12. Which is a rollup of most patches already released since 10240 dropped. How can this be an issue? Would you rather them not fix things? How many GB of patches does Windows 7 have now?

13. App issue.

I am sorry to hear that you cannot figure out how to make Windows 10 usable. I work on it 8-12 hours a day developing software. It has yet to let me down with anything I couldn't figure out how to deal with. Out of your entire list, only 2-3 issues (out of 13) are actually the fault of Windows 10.

What exactly is your job that Windows 10 is so unusable?  More importantly, what exactly is your job that you installed Windows 10 on a business machine?

Yep it must be me for being an idiot who doesn't know how to use a computer http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

Just do not come crying back to us when your machine reboots and it is unusable or some app won't load. I do not have these problems since I use WIndows 8.1. It is the best. :-)

I have more important things to do than bug test. 

Yep it must be me for being an idiot who doesn't know how to use a computer http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

Just do not come crying back to us when your machine reboots and it is unusable or some app won't load. I do not have these problems since I use WIndows 8.1. It is the best. :-)

I have more important things to do than bug test. 

I already installed that update without issue on three different machines.

Any other things you want to throw my way?

As for you not knowing how to use a computer, that is all on you, because I certainly didn't say that.

Again, what do you do for a job that you installed Windows 10 on  a business machine?

Only one upgrade issue I had was,

One of our PCs at work has SQL Server 2000 SP4 which is required by our POS software to access database. Initially, SQL Server 2000 SP4 threw lot of incompatibility tantrums but eventually got installed on Windows 8.1 X64. But when that 8.1 system got upgraded to 10 X64, actual upgrade went fine but it throws up some error "1st ordinal missing from a file related to SQL Server 2000" after booting. But works.

Now it cannot even be uninstalled.

Subsequent SQL server Express versions are even more bloated and go hide deep into windows.

I did not like this spyware OS at all. I had turned off all the spyware settings but I was getting upset with MS removing all the useful features such as opening program in windows photo viewer rather than their default push for metro crap along with loss of control on updates and force feeding made me to wipe this POS from my system and revert back to windows 8.1 

I was getting upset with MS removing all the useful features such as opening program in windows photo viewer rather than their default push for metro crap

You're seriously bitching that much and don't know how to change the default applications for pictures?

9/10 complaints come from stupid home users. 

I'm not into cars, but I imagine an automotive forum would be very similar to a PC forum (everyone thinking they're right, with their own opinions of how the product should work).

As I said ^ - I've changed a handful of settings (yes, you can actually change default settings) and it's working pretty much the same Windows has for the past...20 years?

• Like 1

I like it. It doesn't feel any faster than 8.1 which I was also very happy with but i like some of the small tweaks here and there to how things work (such as snapping). As it is free I am very happy to run 10 over 8.1 but I wouldn't have paid for it, not enough is better than 8.1.

Every New Windows came with Hardware/Software compatibility problems and some bugs here and there until they were fixed with ongoing patches by Microsoft and OEMs, but you have a short memory! remember Windows XP?

About Windows 10 privacy, even Windows 7 received negative criticism about privacy, remember this?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2521809/government-it/nsa-helped-with-windows-7-development.html

Finally about jumping to Linux/Mac because of Windows 10, imagine that  millions of Windows users (most of them are ordinary people with little knowledge ) jumped to Linux with it's known drivers problems/lack of mainstream softwares/difficulty of command line.etc? It will be a world wide disaster if not a DOOMSDAY scenario! and can everybody buy a Mac?

Edited by jaffar

In a single word: Underwhelmed.

Cortana/Edge are not "killer" features for me (maybe for someone else), DirectX 12 won't be used widely for quite some time, and otherwise performance is largely the same as both 7 and 8.x.  Some Windows 8.x users may find the new start menu/interface and improvement, and others will find it to be a regression.  It doesn't help that Windows 10 hasn't exactly been the most stable release in recent times... after close to 20 years of using Windows, this is the first time I can remember the start menu crashing.

I'm also not very impressed by the "its the vendor's fault" when it comes to graphic drivers.  Microsoft has knew they were changing the driver model (likely for quite some time), and there are really only 3 vendors in the graphics space anymore (Intel/Nvidia/AMD)... how could they not manage to partner with them to have a stable set of drivers by release?  Its not like the olden days when they had S3, VIA, PowerVR, SiS, Matrox, 3DFX etc. to contend with as well...

• Like 2