How do you like windows 10

Surely anything is better than Windows 7? It is the worst version of Windows I have ever used (I skipped Me).

I think it will be safe enough in six months, super solid in a year, but even now it is very nice for me. I have lots of patience with silly bugs (which the OS has in spades so far) but I look forward to see how this will be when polished. I think it will be pretty damn good. But those who prefer 100% solid, safe and reliable better stay with (or upgrade to) Windows 8.1

Nope, I don’t see it listed on this clean install. You probably used something like Winaero Tweaker to restore it:

OBxEKhV.png

k, on a upgraded install you will retain the following:

WMP

Windows Photos Viewer

WMC to DVD Player App (if you own WMC that is)

• Like 1

Alright guys, cut it out. Chances are you'll have the option for Windows Photo Viewer if you upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1. If not, then chances are you won't have it and you'll need to use a registry tweak to restore it (or use WinaeroTweaker).

Thanks, I'll need to player around winareo tweaker and their stuff

i like it, i wouldnt say i love it quite yet, but like yes. Now MS have to deliver in the parts that's lacking. 

direct upgrade on a 2006 lenevo (with 8gb ram and a 60gb ssd) a core i7 model mind you and W10 has given it a new lease of life, im impressed in its scalability. On my i7 games rig with 8gb ram and sata 3 ssds it flies.

For a laugh i upgraded my retired htpc (Optiplex 160 dual core atom, 4Gb ram 7200k platter drive) and its more usable than in 7, but at least 7 had SIS Virge driver for the woeful gfx. W10 i tried same drivers and it stuck in a loop. Not W10s fault though really. It did install smoothly which surprised me.

also revived a retired vostro 3300 laptop with an i3 and 4gb ram, 5400rpm platter and it feels slightly smoother than W7 did, ende dup giving that to the 65yo mother in law to use, an ex-XP user and she picked it up in minutes. she actually said straight away oh i like the start menu, that says a lot imo. 

Edited by Mando

WMP

Windows Photos Viewer

That interesting! Honestly didn't realize WMP was removed from clean installs. :o

That interesting! Honestly didn't realize WMP was removed from clean installs. :o

me either, just checked all my upgraders and right enough they are still there, i did think eeww wtf why is WMP still around for when you have Groove Music, i just thought it was like ie11 being there lol! :woot:

me either, just checked all my upgraders and right enough they are still there, i did think eeww wtf why is WMP still around for when you have Groove Music, i just thought it was like ie11 being there lol! :woot:

Presumably for the same reason IE11 is there; for backwards compatibility reasons.  

WMP is still here in my PC even after a clean install

direct upgrade on a 2006 lenevo (with 8gb ram and a 60gb ssd) a core i7 model mind you and W10 has given it a new lease of life, im impressed in its scalability. 

How do you have a core i7 in a 2006 Lenevo? 

WMP

Windows Photos Viewer

My first & foremost actions after a fresh Windows install are:

a) Install Total Commander

b) Install Irfanview

c) Install Media Player Classic Home Cinema

d) t/m z) Surpress any Windows annoyance I may encounter by installing any 3d party software that may help me to surpress annoyances.

My first & foremost actions after a fresh Windows install are:

a) Install Total Commander

b) Install Irfanview

c) Install Media Player Classic Home Cinema

d) t/m z) Surpress any Windows annoyance I may encounter by installing any 3d party software that may help me to surpress annoyances.

Another TC user :) Good lad! I switched from Irfan to nomacs recently and I am very happy. Lovely app. Also make sure to install madVR and configure it in MPC-HC, I think it looks so much better than the standard MPC-HC renderer.

Alright guys, cut it out. Chances are you'll have the option for Windows Photo Viewer if you upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1. If not, then chances are you won't have it and you'll need to use a registry tweak to restore it (or use WinaeroTweaker).

I have trouble imaging why anyone would want to use Windows Photo Viewer anyway. IIRC even the "dumb" Photos application has more functionality.

Or just install nomacs which is better in every way. http://nomacs.org

Golden Rule nr 1 in Microsoft computing: for every Microsoft utility there is at least 1 better (and free)  3d party alternative.

(And this rule holds true since the good old MS-DOS days!) :)

• Like 3

How do you have a core i7 in a 2006 Lenevo? 

doh my bad, wrong model its from 2010 era. (I have a couple of refurbed lenovos at home)

I've done a clean install and right enough WMP is no longer present on a clean install.

Presumably for the same reason IE11 is there; for backwards compatibility reasons.  

done a clean install and right enough WMP is no longer present on a clean install.

done a clean install and right enough WMP is no longer present on a clean install.

Check "%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player" to see if wmplayer.exe is there.

Coming from Windows 7 Pro I kind of like Windows 10, except I have problems with pop-ups.  I am thinking that my security software does not cover Windows 10 yet.  If anybody knows how to get rid of the stupid pop-ups, they come up intermittently, yesterday my Norton was blocking them and letting me know every time they came up.  Today Norton does not seem to be working.  I do not know how to drop Norton and use defender, so I guess I will have to stick with Norton is at least it works, kind of.

I have trouble imaging why anyone would want to use Windows Photo Viewer anyway. IIRC even the "dumb" Photos application has more functionality.

I use photo viewer on this pc. I just freaking hate the splash screen photos has. And windows photo viewer has been around since XP so I like it.

I don't think photo viewer is there on clean installs. Not sure about media player

I like this OS. For me it's some kind like a mix of great things from W8 and W7. Installed it yesterday on a separate drive and really liked it.

I really love 10,I was on 8.1,Did the upgrade and I really loved how everything went so smooth, no driver issues just downloaded GeForce 10 driver and everything was fine, I have no sound card as I have KEF 300a speakers that run off USB,I loved it so much I did a complete reinstall of 10,happy as a bunny could be :))

I upgraded my home machine from 8.1 to 10 after the first week. I never used any of the Insiders/Betas/RTMs and I'm mainly impressed with Windows 10. Definitely glad that the start menu is back. There are some things that I'm disappointed with.

• Default Windows 10 background - It looks pixelated/not sharp/not in focus, even on my 1080p monitor.
  • Start menu 'Metro' icons - I'd prefer it if they could be resized, like Windows Phone icons. I have added multiple icons into different groups in the start menu and I'd prefer not to have to scroll the menu.
  • Microsoft Edge - I've noticed it crashing/bugging when playing flash video content
  • Inconsistent UI - The PC/Control Panel settings are a complete mismatch. I just don't know where to look for some settings.
  • Start Menu Search/Cortana - Seems inconsistent with the results. I've left it on default settings for indexing, etc. When searching for things, I'm generally looking for things on the PC, not Internet results.

They are the main bug-bears that I've encountered so far, but I've not had the time to really get into it.