• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How do you like windows 10

Yusuf M.    1,362

In a single word: Underwhelmed.

Cortana/Edge are not "killer" features for me (maybe for someone else), DirectX 12 won't be used widely for quite some time, and otherwise performance is largely the same as both 7 and 8.x.  Some Windows 8.x users may find the new start menu/interface and improvement, and others will find it to be a regression.  It doesn't help that Windows 10 hasn't exactly been the most stable release in recent times... after close to 20 years of using Windows, this is the first time I can remember the start menu crashing.

I'm also not very impressed by the "its the vendor's fault" when it comes to graphic drivers.  Microsoft has knew they were changing the driver model (likely for quite some time), and there are really only 3 vendors in the graphics space anymore (Intel/Nvidia/AMD)... how could they not manage to partner with them to have a stable set of drivers by release?  Its not like the olden days when they had S3, VIA, PowerVR, SiS, Matrox, 3DFX etc. to contend with as well...

AMD's Catalyst drivers are stable. I haven't had any issues with 15.7 or 15.7.1 and neither have my brothers. NVIDIA, on the other hand, dropped the ball with their mobile drivers.

In terms of stability, the only thing that crashed for me was the settings app.

• Like 2

Obry    311

Been working good. Still feels a little rough around the edges here and there but no major issues. Hopefully they'll smooth things out over the next few months. Upgraded all my machines to it already without thinking about it much and haven't had any problems. I guess that says it all for me.

AnDom    14

AMD's Catalyst drivers are stable. I haven't had any issues with 15.7 or 15.7.1 and neither have my brothers. NVIDIA, on the other hand, dropped the ball with their mobile drivers.

In terms of stability, the only thing that crashed for me was the settings app.

As it is with software, there are sure to be people that will have few/no issues... but the crux of the problem (and a very hard lesson Microsoft should have learned from Windows Vista) is that if a sizeable portion of your user base is having driver issues, they are going to blame the new version of Windows, not the graphics vendor.

Just out of curiosity have you checked your event logs?  Be it an upgrade, or a fresh install, or even spinning up a VM, mine look like a Christmas tree of failed executable and services after a few days.  The start menu in particular doesn't show up as a error message to the user... it just randomly stops responding from time to time and then magically comes back... in each case I can see where it has faulted in the event logs.

Auditor    121

I did not like this spyware OS at all. I had turned off all the spyware settings but I was getting upset with MS removing all the useful features such as opening program in windows photo viewer rather than their default push for metro crap along with loss of control on updates and force feeding made me to wipe this POS from my system and revert back to windows 8.1 

You're seriously bitching that much and don't know how to change the default applications for pictures?

You are seriously out of loop if you think that  getting to change default picture viewer application is a matter of pressing button in default application setting in control panel.You need some registry hack in order to bring back classic picture viewer for majority of jpg files. Next time do research first before trying to show your ignorant attitude to the whole world. 

Zagadka    4,047

You are seriously out of loop if you think that  getting to change default picture viewer application is a matter of pressing button in default application setting in control panel.You need some registry hack  

Right click, open with, choose another app, select, always open with this app.

Oh god, the pain and struggle!

• Like 3

adrynalyne    11,889

In a single word: Underwhelmed.

Cortana/Edge are not "killer" features for me (maybe for someone else), DirectX 12 won't be used widely for quite some time, and otherwise performance is largely the same as both 7 and 8.x.  Some Windows 8.x users may find the new start menu/interface and improvement, and others will find it to be a regression.  It doesn't help that Windows 10 hasn't exactly been the most stable release in recent times... after close to 20 years of using Windows, this is the first time I can remember the start menu crashing.

I'm also not very impressed by the "its the vendor's fault" when it comes to graphic drivers.  Microsoft has knew they were changing the driver model (likely for quite some time), and there are really only 3 vendors in the graphics space anymore (Intel/Nvidia/AMD)... how could they not manage to partner with them to have a stable set of drivers by release?  Its not like the olden days when they had S3, VIA, PowerVR, SiS, Matrox, 3DFX etc. to contend with as well...

Microsoft doesn't build the drivers and OEMs knew for at least a year there would be a new driver model.

adrynalyne    11,889

As it is with software, there are sure to be people that will have few/no issues... but the crux of the problem (and a very hard lesson Microsoft should have learned from Windows Vista) is that if a sizeable portion of your user base is having driver issues, they are going to blame the new version of Windows, not the graphics vendor.

Just out of curiosity have you checked your event logs?  Be it an upgrade, or a fresh install, or even spinning up a VM, mine look like a Christmas tree of failed executable and services after a few days.  The start menu in particular doesn't show up as a error message to the user... it just randomly stops responding from time to time and then magically comes back... in each case I can see where it has faulted in the event logs.

I know you asked Yusuf, but my Event Viewer is pretty clean considering.  Out of 200 info logs (eyeballing it), I'll see a few errors and a dozen warnings.  Most of my errors are from Office 2016, which doesn't surprise me.

AnDom    14

I know you asked Yusuf, but my Event Viewer is pretty clean considering.  Out of 200 info logs (eyeballing it), I'll see a few errors and a dozen warnings.  Most of my errors are from Office 2016, which doesn't surprise me.

Well that is interesting to hear... then perhaps something in my GPO's or other baseline configuration items is causing issues that weren't tested for, since I have consistently see the same results on every install (though I have not spent significant time validating if this changes after the last "cumulative" patch.)

Microsoft doesn't build the drivers and OEMs knew for at least a year there would be a new driver model.

Indeed, but if the problems were known to still be an issue, why did it release anyway (hence repeating what ailed Vista), and if they weren't known, that is a massive QA failure. Microsoft may not write them, but how well the drivers perform (or badly in this case) definitely influences opinion regarding the OS.  "Joe User" doesn't read the blue-screen message to identify the culprit is nvlddmkm.sys (or whatever vendor provided code is involved), he just cares that his newly upgrade Windows crashed when it wasn't before.

That said, this pattern dates back even before Vista...those that remember the NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 transition can attest to that... but in that case 2000 was really not aimed at "home user" market.  I don't recall if the 2000 to XP transition had similar issues, mainly because 2000 was so solid at that point, I didn't migrate until XP SP3.

adrynalyne    11,889

Well that is interesting to hear... then perhaps something in my GPO's or other baseline configuration items is causing issues that weren't tested for, since I have consistently see the same results on every install (though I have not spent significant time validating if this changes after the last "cumulative" patch.)

Indeed, but if the problems were known to still be an issue, why did it release anyway (hence repeating what ailed Vista), and if they weren't known, that is a massive QA failure. Microsoft may not write them, but how well the drivers perform (or badly in this case) definitely influences opinion regarding the OS.  "Joe User" doesn't read the blue-screen message to identify the culprit is nvlddmkm.sys (or whatever vendor provided code is involved), he just cares that his newly upgrade Windows crashed when it wasn't before.

That said, this pattern dates back even before Vista...those that remember the NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 transition can attest to that... but in that case 2000 was really not aimed at "home user" market.  I don't recall if the 2000 to XP transition had similar issues, mainly because 2000 was so solid at that point, I didn't migrate until XP SP3.

Regarding event viewer, did you upgrade or clean install?  I clean installed retail Pro.

As for drivers..I dunno. That is a good question. It could have been false promises on the OEM's part, or false reassurances...I just don't know. I myself had none of the mentioned Nvidia issues, and my wife and daughter had none of the AMD issues. So...maybe its card specific. Perhaps ones that were not thoroughly tested.

Coxlap    11

I like it.  I think it can be a bit sluggish compared to 8.1 at random times, specially boot.  I have a Spectre x360 and I love all the tablet features it has when in tablet mode. 

adrynalyne    11,889

I like it.  I think it can be a bit sluggish compared to 8.1 at random times, specially boot.  I have a Spectre x360 and I love all the tablet features it has when in tablet mode. 

Did you upgrade?  I find 10 faster on my x360 but I clean installed.

T3X4S    4,532

So far - I freaking hate it !

So many problems, so many bugs, so many glitches - I really dont want to go back to 7 but damn !

offroadaaron    230

Not likely it, sticking with 8.1 and a start menu... It might grow on my later.

Note: It's an ok alpha Windows build.

Auditor    121

Right click, open with, choose another app, select, always open with this app.

Oh god, the pain and struggle!

Dude... did you really even installed windows 10 or just pulling out BS from no where. There is no option to choose pick classic picture viewer in your right click option. For your convenience I researched you the link to actually change the default picture viewer. 

http://www.askvg.com/tip-restoring-windows-photo-viewer-as-default-in-windows-10/

Zagadka    4,047

Dude... did you really even installed windows 10 or just pulling out BS from no where. There is no option to choose pick classic picture viewer in your right click option. For your convenience I researched you the link to actually change the default picture viewer. 

Dude. I think my install is corrupted. I'll call MS to have it removed.

orlly.jpg

• Like 1

Coxlap    11

Did you upgrade?  I find 10 faster on my x360 but I clean installed.

I upgraded yeah. 

PoultryTumor    5

I love it. A solid and speedy upgrade over 8.1. I can't wait for every coming update. I would pay for this to be sure. Any problems I have are small to the point of me sounding nit picky, though I see some people have no problem over-voicing them.

MotorMouth    702

best windows release so far.

It is interesting how many of these inane posts there are on this thread, as if most people who say they like W10 don't have the first idea why.

+SpeedyTheSnail    1,261

Avoiding something because it is hipster is the ultimate level of hipsterism.

I do have to laugh at myself because of your comment, and to make a light point:

1482-360.jpg

Myspace-is-for-hipsters.png

Too-hip-to-function.png

EdLuX    13

It is interesting how many of these inane posts there are on this thread, as if most people who say they like W10 don't have the first idea why.

My guess is they got a little overexcited by the Return Of The Start Menu.

Personally I don't see anything revolutionary or groundbreaking in W10. MS should have numbered it 8.1.1 or something similar.

MotorMouth    702

7.2 seems more appropriate, given how much of what was in W8 is now gone.

kozukumi    293

My guess is they got a little overexcited by the Return Of The Start Menu.

Personally I don't see anything revolutionary or groundbreaking in W10. MS should have numbered it 8.1.1 or something similar.

I upgraded mostly for the new snapping features which are great. I don't care a whole lot about much else tbh. I don't care for Cortana, I never liked Siri on my phone except for a few gimmicky things. Edge shows promise but needs a lot of work. The new media apps are meh. They should be much better imho. The action centre is very limp still.

You are not wrong in saying it doesn't feel like a massive update. With the whole "Windows 10 because it is such a huge change" it feels kind of meh.

MotorMouth    702

I love it. A solid and speedy upgrade over 8.1. I can't wait for every coming update. I would pay for this to be sure. Any problems I have are small to the point of me sounding nit picky, though I see some people have no problem over-voicing them.

"Speedy" how? All the benchmarks I've seen point to it being almost exactly the same as Windows 8, as in a few percent faster in some benchmarks and the same in others. It certainly doesn't feel any faster to me.

LimeMaster    15,600

Dude. I think my install is corrupted. I'll call MS to have it removed.

orlly.jpg

Its only available on upgraded installs. Clean installs are sadly out of luck, unless they use third party tools to restore the Photo Viewer.

Unrelated: Hiding your sloth collection? :o

adrynalyne    11,889

Its only available on upgraded installs. Clean installs are sadly out of luck, unless they use third party tools to restore the Photo Viewer.

Unrelated: Hiding your sloth collection? :o

I'm not on an upgraded install. Note the checkbox.

Capture15.PNG