[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

That however is spinning away from your previous post. Moving on, human kind is destroyed by the Cylons due to the actions of an individual, the survivors leave their solar system under the protection of the only surviving military vessel under the command of it long standing and well respected commander. Galactica a battleship/aircraft carrier realise heavily on it's fighter craft for protection of itself and the civilian population and is lead by the commanders sole surviving son while they search for a new home on a distant and long lost colony called Earth. So the plot remains the same.

Yes it was reimaged in the same regards you could reimage Star Trek either in TV or Movie format just as they did for TNG however this is NOT the case for the JJ trek movies where the substance just doesn't exist.

MY previous post?

That's what I already said... Deep Space Nine was the closest we ever got, and by far the best series when it comes to story development. TNG and VOY didn't do this.

Enterprise got the ###### beat out of them in the Xindi arc, and a few episodes after Azati Prime everything was up and running like they barely had a scratch. In Season 2 a mine blows a hole in their hull, and they are crippled and need the help of an alien space station to fix it. Yet, they're totally on their own after almost losing their hull and warping around in a few episodes with the Xinidi. It was so poorly written and the Xindi resolution was quite a let down after almost 22 episodes with the big bad falling down a shaft after getting a grenade strapped to them. Suddenly we're in WW2 getting shot down by completely different aliens in the same episode. The rest of the show was your usual week to week red alert and then nothing was ever mentioned again with what happened in those episodes 8/10 times. Like I said, they finally got it with season 4. From the notes and leaks about season 5, we might have finally got something like I mentioned.

I kinda wish Voyager had a more 'real' darker side to it. A starship 75,000 light years from the nearest base shouldn't have been so "pristine" all the time. I would have loved to see less "planet of the week", and more stories on their will to survive the unknown. But, with DS9 running almost concurrently, and dealing with the Dominion War, it retained this almost light-hearted, let's-drink-some-coffee-while-blowing-up-the-borg-every-week, fantasy feel.

I liked the Xindi arc on Enterprise, and I think the crew was better prepared for the mission to the Expanse compared to the Romulan Mine. Enterprise was in bad shape for most of that, and Archer even had to make a few calls that would have easily gotten him a court martial to save his ship and crew. I liked that. I also agree that season 4 was great. It was great to see the classic Trek aliens (Tellarites, Andorians, and the Vulcans) come to each other's aid. I loved the Romulan arc, and was excited to see the tensions start to appear which would have eventually led into the Romulan Wars - but then the show was cancelled. :(  

The Romulan War might make an interesting backdrop for a new Trek series, but I wouldn't make it the main thrust of the show...  I think something set in the Academy would be neat, with the war going on around the cadets. One thing the recent movies have shown is that people want to see action. DS9 proved that too as it got more and more popular the deeper it got into the Dominion War.

Edited by FloatingFatMan
  • Like 1

The Romulan War might make an interesting backdrop for a new Trek series...

If I personally were writing such a story arc, I would change things slightly...

Have the Vulcans or Andorians as architects of the war, have them playing both sides behind the scenes.  Have Section 31 discover this, but realise that the end-game is worth the deception.

If I personally were writing such a story arc, I would change things slightly...

Have the Vulcans or Andorians as architects of the war, have them playing both sides behind the scenes.  Have Section 31 discover this, but realise that the end-game is worth the deception.

Don't you think they screwed with the Vulcans enough already? Not to mention, their homeworld was black holed along with Romulus being supernova-ed. Heh.

• Like 1

Don't you think they screwed with the Vulcans enough already? Not to mention, their homeworld was black holed along with Romulus being supernova-ed. Heh.

Assuming that timeline.  But then this lends itself to the Vulcans being desperate and the Romulans being not the villains they were always made out to be.

Honestly, the best option would be to make "Star Trek Continues" official and throw some money at it to speed up production. Captures the look and feel of the original series almost perfectly, makes excellent use of guest stars, it feels a lot more like Star Trek than any official version since TNG.

Hey you never know, that Worf series that Michael Dorn has been pushing for the last few years might be what we get. (And I'm game for that, and it seems to be a perfect fit for a streaming only type deal if you ask me)

A full-on Borg invasion of the alpha quadrant could be interesting. It would give the respective powers a reason to put aside their petty differences and work together. After all, Look how much damage a single non-tactical cube did at wolf-359.

I'd also like an exploration of the Borg's origins and their rise to power.

So Axanar takes place after Enterprise but before TOS I would assume. Even though Vulcans can live for hundreds of years, I'm going to guess it's not TNG era. Also, not JJverse, which is a major plus lol Pretty good green screen there, and from that little bit, the effects look pretty well done. Granted that's one scene out of an entire movie. And it's always good to see Soval.

I'll watch it regardless :p

if it's fan made then I will skip it, haven't seen a single watchable fan creation yet, even when they get previous trek actors on board the decent acting goes out the window.

So Axanar takes place after Enterprise but before TOS I would assume. Even though Vulcans can live for hundreds of years, I'm going to guess it's not TNG era. Also, not JJverse, which is a major plus lol Pretty good green screen there, and from that little bit, the effects look pretty well done. Granted that's one scene out of an entire movie. And it's always good to see Soval.

Axanar is gonna be great. I can't wait to see it. 

Axanar is gonna be great. I can't wait to see it. 

I watched that 20 minute or so little "documentary" they did as a proof of concept type deal. Pretty good stuff. Richard Hatch is awesome, and while he doesn't seem menacing as a Klingon, the movie isn't out just that small little bit "after" the conflict. And hey, Tony Todd is amazing in anything he does basically :D Not to mention JG Hertzler playing opposite as a human now heh. I bet he could do that Klingon saying pretty good :)

Having it on a streaming service means it'll at least have a good budget, star trek has always been pricy to make, as with most scifi, making new sets and fancy aliens costs money.   I also hope the episodic nature is dropped, it should have an overarching plot for the season with a few sub plots that last a few eps coming up at different intervals to push it.   Episodic TV doesn't work much, not unless you're one of the 100 cop drama shows we have on TV now.

The new series will also be in the new universe, best thing they can do is tie it into the movies, and maybe even have some cameos from the movie characters as well.

Yeah except CBS doesn't have the rights to the film series. Only the TV rights. So unless they work out a deal by the filming date, it can't really be in the new universe.

Who says they haven't worked anything out already?  You have the same people who worked on the films producing the new tv series.     CBS has the rights to trek, the brand, it's not about movie rights vs TV rights, CBS owns the brand known as Star Trek, Paramount Pictures has the license to make movies, that's about as far as it goes.

The fact they're not doing this till 2017, after the 3rd movie is out and before the 4th movie, to me, says they're in the same universe and will tie in, even loosely, with each other.

The Romulan War might make an interesting backdrop for a new Trek series, but I wouldn't make it the main thrust of the show...  I think something set in the Academy would be neat, with the war going on around the cadets. One thing the recent movies have shown is that people want to see action. DS9 proved that too as it got more and more popular the deeper it got into the Dominion War.

Ds9 was always about good story telling though and character building. seasons 1 thought 4 were pretty light on action.

there weren't that many episodes that had battles, same goes for all the series, if you counted all the episodes from each series that has a space battle, there weren't many.

enterprise and voyager got into the most fights. tos, tng, ds9 and voy were light on action imo.

tng - the borg eps had the most action, ds9 season 4 beginning and some season 5, 6  & 7 had all the big battles. there was a large battle in season 3.

voy had major battles starting season 4, 5, 6 and 7.

enterprise had a battle every couple of eps, it lacked character building, only started to expand things after season 3.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like Bryan Fuller is on board! This restores a little faith in the franchise. Still hoping that this series isn't at all related to awful JJ Trek. 

On 11/9/2015 at 0:50 AM, Slarlac249 said:

enterprise and voyager got into the most fights. tos, tng, ds9 and voy were light on action imo.

DS9 was... light on action?! Did you even watch the show? :huh:

15 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Looks like Bryan Fuller is on board! This restores a little faith in the franchise. Still hoping that this series isn't at all related to awful JJ Trek. 

DS9 was... light on action?! Did you even watch the show? :huh:

First few series were... Then, wow so amazingly not light on anything!

15 minutes ago, Nik L said:

First few series were... Then, wow so amazingly not light on anything!

Yep. DS9 was BAMF!

On 03/11/2015 at 0:15 PM, Dot Matrix said:

I kinda wish Voyager had a more 'real' darker side to it. A starship 75,000 light years from the nearest base shouldn't have been so "pristine" all the time. I would have loved to see less "planet of the week", and more stories on their will to survive the unknown. But, with DS9 running almost concurrently, and dealing with the Dominion War, it retained this almost light-hearted, let's-drink-some-coffee-while-blowing-up-the-borg-every-week, fantasy feel.

Voyager is a story about how the Federation, even when separated from all its infrastructure and rules, can pull together and succeed. Episodes like the two-part Year Of Hell did a superb job of conveying the threat and what could have happened had a few things gone differently. The Borg were a menacing threat, as were Species 8472. Star Trek—the movies aside—has always been about hope, about optimism for the future and I thought overall the show did a decent job, even if I much prefer DS9 and TNG myself.

On 03/11/2015 at 0:15 PM, Dot Matrix said:

I liked the Xindi arc on Enterprise, and I think the crew was better prepared for the mission to the Expanse compared to the Romulan Mine. Enterprise was in bad shape for most of that, and Archer even had to make a few calls that would have easily gotten him a court martial to save his ship and crew. I liked that. I also agree that season 4 was great. It was great to see the classic Trek aliens (Tellarites, Andorians, and the Vulcans) come to each other's aid. I loved the Romulan arc, and was excited to see the tensions start to appear which would have eventually led into the Romulan Wars - but then the show was cancelled. :(  

Enterprise was a mess from the start. It was horribly miscast, the theme was overly dark, the plots were too conflict orientated, the characters were one-dimensional and the few decent episodes they had couldn't save it. You're right that the Romulan plot could have led to something decent but by then it was already way too late. The one area Enterprise did an excellent job was of the conflict between the Vulcan and Andorians.