[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

2 hours ago, Ash said:

I'm all for it as long as there are no episodes where they get trapped in a broken Holodeck!

things that happened a lot;

transporter malfunction

holodeck malfunction

something else breaks on the enterprise

shuttle crash lands and someone is hurt

some alien tries to take over crewmen / ship / station

time travel of some sort

:p

honestly, i'd rather see less time travel.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time travel thing I'd love to see is the crew of the USS Reletivity erasing the JJverse. :p

• Like 2

On 11/1/2015 at 8:53 AM, xendrome said:

Streaming only? I hope it fails miserably and costs them millions of dollars.

this just smacks of pay to watch. which will end up in epic fail. people on Hulu already pay for a monthly subscription , they expect the people to pay more? yeah right.

First people complain about the cost of cable bundles and want ala carte, then they get ala carte and complain about paying for the exclusive content which makes it viable to offer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocM said:

First people complain about the cost of cable bundles and want ala carte, then they get ala carte and complain about paying for the exclusive content which makes it viable to offer. 

I'll pay to see it, gladly!

• Like 1

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have what I believe may be a unique view on this. It may also not be something that anyone else would be interested in, but I personally would love to see.

Something of a "Star Trek - Beginnings". A bit like the "Fear the walking dead" series, where we see earth just before the 3rd world, nuclear war begins. We see Zefram Cochrane as a teen or young adult before he develops the first warp drive and first flight. Build up the series to what the viewer knows will ultimately be interstellar, warp flight.

Would be an interesting twist to see the tech that they have in the star ships being developed and somehow introduced during the series. Possibly coming from the tech used during the war as weapons, becoming used for other purposes. War usually brings a lot of new tech, because each country begins working on weapons and defenses that are more powerful than the enemy, so it could be easily introduced in to a series like this.

They could introduce other known characters over time, but obviously in their younger years etc. and give us insight to their early life on a war torn planet that has yet to have a Star Fleet.

The whole thing could end with the more "modern" Star Trek as we know it and the introduction of Star Fleet.

Obviously a lot would depend on how well the series is received, so how much they could fit in to a series etc.

10 minutes ago, restroom said:

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have what I believe may be a unique view on this. It may also not be something that anyone else would be interested in, but I personally would love to see.

Something of a "Star Trek - Beginnings". A bit like the "Fear the walking dead" series, where we see earth just before the 3rd world, nuclear war begins. We see Zefram Cochrane as a teen or young adult before he develops the first warp drive and first flight. Build up the series to what the viewer knows will ultimately be interstellar, warp flight.

Would be an interesting twist to see the tech that they have in the star ships being developed and somehow introduced during the series. Possibly coming from the tech used during the war as weapons, becoming used for other purposes. War usually brings a lot of new tech, because each country begins working on weapons and defenses that are more powerful than the enemy, so it could be easily introduced in to a series like this.

They could introduce other known characters over time, but obviously in their younger years etc. and give us insight to their early life on a war torn planet that has yet to have a Star Fleet.

The whole thing could end with the more "modern" Star Trek as we know it and the introduction of Star Fleet.

Obviously a lot would depend on how well the series is received, so how much they could fit in to a series etc.

With a few exceptions what you have described is Star Trek:  Enterprise

lets push into the future, put the Star Fleet at war with someone.  But full fledged war, not some nice war, full scale brutality, death, destruction, and touch on the human side of dealing with shooting a spaceship with 1000 crew members full of holes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, restroom said:

Please, no more prequels.  We had Enterprise and I'm not suggesting that it's failure was entirely due to it being a prequel, but it didn't help.  We had First Contact and that told us all we needed to know about first-warp, first-contact.

Start Trek at it's best was never about the technology

11 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

With a few exceptions what you have described is Star Trek:  Enterprise

lets push into the future, put the Star Fleet at war with someone.  But full fledged war, not some nice war, full scale brutality, death, destruction, and touch on the human side of dealing with shooting a spaceship with 1000 crew members full of holes.

No, I'm thinking before Enterprise. I'm talking before Star Fleet or space exploration even.

11 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Please, no more prequels.  We had Enterprise and I'm not suggesting that it's failure was entirely due to it being a prequel, but it didn't help.  We had First Contact and that told us all we needed to know about first-warp, first-contact.

Each to their own and all that. I'm talking about pre-enterprise days even. Showing how the whole concept of space exploration came about to form the whole star fleet idea. No aliens in there at all -  at least not at the beginning. Done right, it could be great.

Personally, I loved smallville, the suspense of "is he about to fly" and knowing what will happen to him in the future, but it not being there yet. Fear the walking dead, although I think they could have drawn out the infection a bit longer and had a more story line explaining how the infection began and spread, was also a great concept that worked. I think this too could be great, if done right.

I felt Smallville to 10 years to labor over ridiculously slow plots that built things up to be epic, and then resolved them within an episode or two.

1 hour ago, Nik L said:

I enjoyed Enterprise, especially after the third season when it found its footing. The show felt more relatable. 

On 5/11/2016 at 4:12 AM, brpsycho said:

Meh.

Patrick Stewart is almost too old now.

It's been almost 30 years and the man has barely aged.  Plus it's not like if there was another one with Picard that Star Trek is usually the most physically demanding roles ever, with the exception of the new movies.

7 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

It's been almost 30 years and the man has barely aged.  Plus it's not like if there was another one with Picard that Star Trek is usually the most physically demanding roles ever, with the exception of the new movies.

Very good points. You renewed all my hopes for the future of Star Trek.

The only prequel concept I'd go for would be a Romulan war, Enterprise was about to test the waters with it before it got canned.

Other than that, it needs to take place after Nemesis. It'd be great to see cameos of past Trek characters make an appearance once and awhile and the only way they'd be able to do so is a sequel. But all in all it needs to be a fresh take on Trek, continuing the timeline that left off with in Nemesis, the same old klingon/borg/dominion species won't work. Hell, I was probably in the minority when they destroyed Vulcan. Something to really shake things up. Too bad the movies continue to lack substance and only focus on action (still fun though).

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1

Just now, shockz said:

The only prequel concept I'd go for would be a Romulan war, Enterprise was about to test the waters with it before it got canned.

Great opportunity to show Doug Drexler's NX Refit:

Round+2+Models+Polar+Lights+Enterprise+N

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Slarlac249 said:

looks way better than the jjprise.

Anything looks better than that eye sore.

• Like 1