[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

41 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

JJTrek isn't even Trek. It's "Fast and Furious" with Captain Kirk and gang. There's no depth at all to the new franchise. 

There's only so much you can do with an hour and thirty minutes.

Trek movies are usually ALWAYS action oriented. Ones that do focus on a deeper story line typically do poor at the box office or don't receive good reviews. Think Search for Spock. Or the Final Frontier. Or Ugh, Insurrection. 

Trek does better on the small screen, and that's where you can always watch those deeper meaning depth episodes. I haven't really saw a Trek movie that tugged at the heart strings. TV series though, absolutely. In the meantime, the shoot em up movies, and again, this isn't a new thing, are always fun and a good time. I'll be enjoying Beyond. Sorry you can't seem to get past the new direction of Trek movies at this time. It won't always be this way, and until then, enjoy those Star Trek 1-10 and Netflix reruns. "True Trek" lol. Also news flash... "true trek" died mid series in TNG when Roddenberry passed away. Since then, others have been running the show.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

i hope it's true about the post tos movies setting, means we will finally get some actual trek sets and not lazy filmed in brewery type sets..still sucks that jj's trek movies have garbage sets but episode 7 got proper star wars sets.

so it's ok to ###### off star trek fans, but not star wars fans.

Star wars 7 was just star wars 4 but... made now
Would you really want to see the exact same episodes of the original series but with new actors and more modern effects ?

On second thought maybe I'd watch that

7 minutes ago, shockz said:

There's only so much you can do with an hour and thirty minutes.

Trek movies are usually ALWAYS action oriented. Ones that do focus on a deeper story line typically do poor at the box office or don't receive good reviews. Think Search for Spock. Or the Final Frontier. Or Ugh, Insurrection. 

Trek does better on the small screen, and that's where you can always watch those deeper meaning depth episodes. I haven't really saw a Trek movie that tugged at the heart strings. TV series though, absolutely. In the meantime, the shoot em up movies, and again, this isn't a new thing, are always fun and a good time. I'll be enjoying Beyond. Sorry you can't seem to get past the new direction of Trek movies at this time. It won't always be this way, and until then, enjoy those Star Trek 1-10 and Netflix reruns. "True Trek" lol

You can do a lot with an hour and 30 minutes. Look at the story Axanar set out to tell. 

36 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

You can do a lot with an hour and 30 minutes. Look at the story Axanar set out to tell. 

Ah the Axanar card. After reading into that, the guy's kind of a nut job.

The only thing Axanar (and Renegades) did was prove to CBS that Trekkies would pay for online content via crowd funding. And viola, the next series will be pay for online only.

All the fan based movies have had weak story lines. Renegades included. They cram too much into them and end up with a half baked, busy product. It was only popular due to the cast. And I've watched the majority of them. The only decent one is the Star Trek Continues series. Otherwise, fan based productions receive far too much credit.

Don't get me wrong, they're a fun time waster, but I'd never want to watch a series out of it. The only bad thing CBS did was shut them down, but I get why. It is there product, like it or not. They were making money on a name they didn't own. Simple as that.

Edited by shockz

fan made shows suffer from not just bad story lines but cringe inducing acting, especially when they play existing characters.

@brpsycho

you didn't get my point, i don't care that ep7 was basically ep4, my problem is they made it look like a star war movie, sets, ships, character etc...

what does jj trek have? star trek in the title and character names....what trek it has pretty much ends there.

Unfortunately it does take awhile for a show to get a real footing.  Sure, you'll get shows that start off great, but from my experience, these shows tend to burn off in later seasons whereas shows like DS9 got better and better over time.  If they do a mini-series like what's been described then it means they can throw all the best possible stories for that timeline/theme rather than wasting crap on filler episodes.  Enterprise for example was pretty bad, but it picked up in the later seasons.  Season 4 was probably the best because of all the story arcs etc that made sense for it's timeline rather than the crap with the temporal cold war etc that had nothing to do with the original Star Trek series.

19 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Someone always mentions Axnar.  It would absolutely bomb at the box office.

Is that why it's garnering much support from Trek fans?

2 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Is that why it's garnering much support from Trek fans?

It is getting a lot of vocal support from a very (comparatively) small number of people.  It would absolutely tank at the box office, but may do well on download.  Paramount clearly are targeting the mass audience, which Axnar would absolutely alienate.

43 minutes ago, Nik L said:

It is getting a lot of vocal support from a very (comparatively) small number of people.  It would absolutely tank at the box office, but may do well on download.  Paramount clearly are targeting the mass audience, which Axnar would absolutely alienate.

And with that threw an entire franchise in the drains, and alienated their core base. Let's see how well that turns out for them. Go look at the comments on 'Prelude to Axanar' on YouTube, and compare those with the ones on the release 'Beyond' trailer. Night and day difference.

12 hours ago, Nik L said:

LOL at the "true Trek fans"

there will always be discontented fans whenever a show is released/remaked. I love all star trek tv series (tos, the next generation, voyager, ds9, enterprise). I watched all star trek films and even bought 1 vhs movie (star trek: first contact; yes, I am old. ;) ). while I don't necessarily agree with 'newer' versions of star trek, I still love them since I consider each new film as 'told from a different perspective'. in contrast, I hate/insert profanities here/abhor star wars episode 7. (I am a sci-fi fan who generally loves star trek, star wars, stargate tv franchises)

1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

And with that threw an entire franchise in the drains, and alienated their core base. Let's see how well that turns out for them. Go look at the comments on 'Prelude to Axanar' on YouTube, and compare those with the ones on the release 'Beyond' trailer. Night and day difference.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-trailer-2-announcement-simon-pegg/

1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-trailer-2-announcement-simon-pegg/

So I don't know if any of you saw this (or its posted earlier, but I didn't see it so sorry if it was!) or not buttttttttt:

Spoiler

Apparently the teaser, if you believe the breakdown of the teaser, kinda tells us the timeline and universe we are dealing with.

During the flybys they do, they show what some say is Praxis breaking apart. And then the Amagosa star from Generations. Whether those two are actually Praxis and Amagosa who knows. But if true, sneaky CBS! Then it should be set between Undiscovered Country and TNG at some point.

3 hours ago, LOC said:

So I don't know if any of you saw this (or its posted earlier, but I didn't see it so sorry if it was!) or not buttttttttt:

Hide contents

Apparently the teaser, if you believe the breakdown of the teaser, kinda tells us the timeline and universe we are dealing with.

During the flybys they do, they show what some say is Praxis breaking apart. And then the Amagosa star from Generations. Whether those two are actually Praxis and Amagosa who knows. But if true, sneaky CBS! Then it should be set between Undiscovered Country and TNG at some point.

That's the best place to do it, for what they want to do, there's enough of a gap there in time for them to play with.

Really, the way CBS is doing this, putting it on the streaming service, other than as a way to jump start the service itself, it should help the show keep going.  You take the dependence on ratings/ad sales that you have on primetime out of the equation this way.  If the show gets a good number of people willing to pay to see it then that's all they need.

I also like the idea of doing self contained mini-series type arcs, when one ends, then the next one can pick up and expand on things but with a new mix of characters, keeping the show fresh.  Also by limiting the need for 22-24 episode full TV seasons, we are saved the pains of filler and get pure plot/story episodes.   I think if they do it right, and follow the Netflix way, 12-13 episode "seasons" works out just fine, you can even break that down into two 6 episode parts with two different ships/crews and grow the universe more.  For all the past trek, and all this talk of star "fleet" we hardly got any interaction with other ships/crews, at best we'd get a few here and there, mostly with the Borg arc in TNG and the whole war in DS9, but yeah.   There should be hundreds if not thousands of star fleet ships going all over the alpha quadrant.

6 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

An industry based around short term returns?  It's worked out awesomely well for them so far.

3 hours ago, Nik L said:

An industry based around short term returns?  It's worked out awesomely well for them so far.

At the end of the day, they'll be left with nothing. Core fans are supporting independant endeavors to get their Trek fix, and general audiences are declining. 'Into Darkness' didn't bring in a lot of money. People are already turned off by 'Beyond', and lots of people are boycoting because of the Axanar lawsuit. The return doesn't look good long term.

Edited by Dot Matrix

3 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

At the end of the day, they'll be left with nothing. Core fans are supporting independant endeavors to get their Trek fix, and general audiences are declining. 'Into Darkness' didn't bring in a lot of money. People are already turned off by 'Beyond', and lots of people are boycoting because of the Axanar lawsuit. The return doesn't look good long term.

Nobody is upset about Axanar aside from a handful of people. The only one who seems to be making a fuss about it is you, at least here. When a Axanar troll drops a line on a Star Trek FB post, they're ridiculed by someone, who receives a ton more likes than the Axanar person. Nobody gives a ######. I consider myself a core fan and couldn't care less about Axanar. General audiences may be declining, yet the profit they've made on those audiences would only be a fantasy for most TNG movies. 

On 2/29/2016 at 5:27 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Be it NewTrek or OldTrek, THIS is the guy I trust to do a good job of it. :)

Agreed; those 2 were the best ones of the original Star Trek series' movies.

5 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

And they will reboot again and if this is anything to go by, make more money than the last generation.  "Core fans", "lots of people" - whatever, really!

I must be getting old and not remembering specific ships anymore because I couldn't tell what ship that was. Other than thinking it looked oddly Defiant like, but obviously isn't the Defiant. Or kinda NX like from Enterprise I guess?

But damn, that trailer sold me. I don't know what those new enemies are but they look great. Reminds me of The Swarm from Voyager maybe, or some sort of nano machine like vibe?

5 minutes ago, LOC said:

I must be getting old and not remembering specific ships anymore because I couldn't tell what ship that was. Other than thinking it looked oddly Defiant like, but obviously isn't the Defiant. Or kinda NX like from Enterprise I guess?

But damn, that trailer sold me. I don't know what those new enemies are but they look great. Reminds me of The Swarm from Voyager maybe, or some sort of nano machine like vibe?

Pretty sure the ship at the end is the NX, but maybe I'm wrong as well?