[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

2 hours ago, LOC said:

Maybe they'll find Archer's dog?

That'd be hilarious. 

Why do people keep commenting about the NX-01? That was a warp 5 ship 100 years ago.

33 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Why do people keep commenting about the NX-01? That was a warp 5 ship 100 years ago.

There's a ship at the end of the trailer that shares the same design, it's probably not the exact same one but it's in the same class at least. 

15 minutes ago, George P said:

There's a ship at the end of the trailer that shares the same design, it's probably not the exact same one but it's in the same class at least. 

It's the USS Franklin:

ycQ5WF1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

It's the USS Franklin:

http://m.imgur.com/ycQ5WF1?r

The shots move quick but the two do share designs more or less.  I wasn't looking to go frame by frame to make sure though.

You know, I really really don't like the JJ-verse ship designs. I don't know what it is, but they just seem - off? Maybe its jut me (though I know tons of people didn't like the Enterprise redesign of course).

4 minutes ago, LOC said:

You know, I really really don't like the JJ-verse ship designs. I don't know what it is, but they just seem - off? Maybe its jut me (though I know tons of people didn't like the Enterprise redesign of course).

They tweak the enterprise design with each movie I think, with it getting damaged yet again in this one I bet by the end and into the 4th movie they'll have another look to it.

3 minutes ago, George P said:

They tweak the enterprise design with each movie I think, with it getting damaged yet again in this one I bet by the end and into the 4th movie they'll have another look to it.

I just don't want the JJ-verse to continue to the TNG era. I'll gather a guess as to the design of the Ent-D. And that I'd vomit a little in my mouth :(

8 minutes ago, LOC said:

I friggin hate the JJprise. Glad it's getting blown up in this film.

4 minutes ago, George P said:

Oh no, it's getting completely destroyed here.

Star Trek Beyond Enterprise destruction.jpg

Yeah, when the fan thingy in the front of the ship gets nuked, you know the ship is porked. (Sorry, I am totally blanking on the actual name of that part of the ship, I know it but I'm old and tired and don't care lol)

7 hours ago, LOC said:

Yeah, when the fan thingy in the front of the ship gets nuked, you know the ship is porked. (Sorry, I am totally blanking on the actual name of that part of the ship, I know it but I'm old and tired and don't care lol)

Navigational Deflector.

55 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Navigational Deflector.

Yes, that's it. But I usually just call it the main deflector or the deflector array. I just couldn't think of that at all last night :|

23 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

Oh no, it's getting completely destroyed here.

Star Trek Beyond Enterprise destruction.jpg

The only bit on the outside i hate is those ugly fat engines. Hope the next one looks more streamlined.

• 1 month later...

I have really, really high hopes for this. I don't hate the new movies, but they aren't "real" Trek to me. More like, an offshoot in a parallel universe (which it is lol) that is quite a bit different than the Trek I enjoy watching. And I agree with the article writer, Trek is usually way better on TV (but some movies are of course better) and they can tell more intimate stories etc. However between this new show (which I truly hope is in the Prime universe, don't care when really or who they have in it) and Beyond, I'm rather excited for Trek which I haven't been in a long time now. Beyond looks like good fun and while its still part of the offshoot brand Trek, I'll probably like it. But the show, I really hope it lives up to our expectations.

Until Paramount and CBS stop going after Axanar, I'm boycotting "Beyond", and this. Ridiculous how they treat fans. :angry:

15 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Until Paramount and CBS stop going after Axanar, I'm boycotting "Beyond", and this. Ridiculous how they treat fans. :angry:

hmm...thought that issue was going away per JJ Abrams.  Guess not.  Just read more into it...and just read the Star Trek Fan Film guidelines...truly laughable.

They're within their rights as the content holder/IP owners and they can protect their IP.  The fact most fan made films are terrible shows a poor light on the series.  When they're trying to kick it back to life and bring in new fans, the last thing they want are poorly made, terribly written and acted fan films/series out there to turn people away.

I haven't been impressed with any of the fan made stuff, axanar as well, I don't see what some people liked.   I've never been a fan of prequel stories, and true trek isn't about war, it's always been about exploration, right?     Axanars story is weak, CGI is meh and so on.   It's boldly going nowhere.

10 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

couldn't care less, i watched what they released so far and it wasn't very good, sure it's got some good actors in it and passable cgi, but it wasn't even up to the standards of enterprise (acting wise) imo. still rather watch any episode of enterpise than fan made stuff.

with fan made videos, they can't pull off the magic of proper productions.

11 hours ago, George P said:

They're within their rights as the content holder/IP owners and they can protect their IP.  The fact most fan made films are terrible shows a poor light on the series.  When they're trying to kick it back to life and bring in new fans, the last thing they want are poorly made, terribly written and acted fan films/series out there to turn people away.

I haven't been impressed with any of the fan made stuff, axanar as well, I don't see what some people liked.   I've never been a fan of prequel stories, and true trek isn't about war, it's always been about exploration, right?     Axanars story is weak, CGI is meh and so on.   It's boldly going nowhere.

Right, but honestly why would anyone spit on their fans in such fashion? I don't get it.