[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

• 2 weeks later...

i hope mr dorn's series is given the green light.

I want to see some of the old actors actually get paid to act properly again, their talents are wasted on these unofficial episodes, the acting on them is just cringe worthy.

worse than the 60's show and even then they knew how to sound interesting when talking through scenes. on these fan creations it's all forced with no soul.

Yeah saw that yesterday, was going to post it but forgot :(

Still, great news for the new show. And more hope that its based in the "Prime" universe, or at least not the JJverse. I mean I wouldn't mind a JJverse show to be honest, just I find the current crew...kinda boring so far. They haven't had the years of storytelling to let them gel so to speak. Hell, even TOS gave them 3 years on TV to gel as a team etc. We've had two movies, one of which wasn't that great to begin with and was pretty light on character development going forward really.

No way this is a prime universe show, paramount wouldn't bother with it after spending the money to reboot the universe with the movies, this show will be in the new one and probably with a different crew.

Yeah but this show is going to be on their All Access thing, so if they wanted to go Prime universe they could because Trekkies who want it, will pay for it every month. At least, that's how I feel about it. True they've dumped way to much money to go Prime probably, but one can hope still.

On 2/28/2016 at 2:43 AM, George P said:

No way this is a prime universe show, paramount wouldn't bother with it after spending the money to reboot the universe with the movies, this show will be in the new one and probably with a different crew.

I think it's going to be. Not many people are following the JJ movies anymore. Certainly not many of the original fanbase. You can only p**s all over the original fanbase for so long before you start losing money. The JJ movies just simply aren't 'Star Trek'. 

I'm just worried, as the recent lawsuit with Axanar may hint at JJverse TV, rather than the prime, and that they want people to pay more attention to them, than Axanar. 

Edited by Dot Matrix

On 2/29/2016 at 4:29 AM, Dot Matrix said:

I'm just worried, as the recent lawsuit with Axanar may hint at JJverse TV, rather than the prime, and that they want people to pay more attention to them, than Axanar. 

Why should a fan movie, make massive profits off of CBS trademarks and materials? The producers of Axanar went about it all wrong. Other fan flicks have had no issues with CBS, for the simple fact that their crowd funding didn't earn millions on trademarked property that didn't belong to them in the first place. And if CBS wanted to actually be douchy, they could go after all other fan sourced films and put a stop to them. CBS has big plans for Trek, whether or not you like the JJverse (HINT: the majority does, and a few upset die hards will mean nothing to them if the masses accept a JJtrek series), a fan film making millions off of their content is understandably unacceptable to them.

Spoiler: All current rumors indicate it will be a prime based series. Possibly based after the events of The Undiscovered Country and/or Excelsior. 

2 hours ago, shockz said:

Why should a fan movie, make massive profits off of CBS trademarks and materials? The producers of Axanar went about it all wrong. Other fan flicks have had no issues with CBS, for the simple fact that their crowd funding didn't earn millions on trademarked property that didn't belong to them in the first place. And if CBS wanted to actually be douchy, they could go after all other fan sourced films and put a stop to them. CBS has big plans for Trek, whether or not you like the JJverse (HINT: the majority does, and a few upset die hards will mean nothing to them if the masses accept a JJtrek series), a fan film making millions off of their content is understandably unacceptable to them.

Spoiler: All current rumors indicate it will be a prime based series. Possibly based after the events of The Undiscovered Country and/or Excelsior. 

They're not making any profits at all. They crowdfunded the funds to make a movie, but they're not selling anything. Axanar will be released for free to fans. 

6 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

They're not making any profits at all. They crowdfunded the funds to make a movie, but they're not selling anything. Axanar will be released for free to fans. 

Debatable, I'd like to see an audit of how those crowd sourced funds were utilized, and I'm sure CBS would too. They're still using trademarked content that doesn't belong to them.

I don't see Rick Berman's name anywhere. Damn.

wonder what happened to the captain worf series, last i read m.dorn had pitched it to cbs or whoever...  and was waiting for a yes or no.

be cool if both get the go ahead..unless they are one and the same.

23 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

wonder what happened to the captain worf series, last i read m.dorn had pitched it to cbs or whoever...  and was waiting for a yes or no.

be cool if both get the go ahead..unless they are one and the same.

Horrible idea, I'm not surprised they're not doing it. I think a Captain Riker series would be interesting though.

13 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Horrible idea, I'm not surprised they're not doing it. I think a Captain Riker series would be interesting though.

They haven't decided yet, at leaset it wouldn't be another fan made piece of tosh with cringe inducing acting. (if it gets green lit)

anyway, it probably wouldn't be called captain worf, that was probably just the working title....

i'd watch it though...gotta be better than all the other trek stuff out there. haven't enjoyed anything trek since enterprise ended.

just look the jj movies as standard action sci-fi flicks and nothing else...

A Next Generation spinoff with Captain Riker would work for me, it would be the continuation that TOS never got and a nod to the 50 year anniversary imo.

TNG anniversary is in 2017, 30 years ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2016 at 5:38 AM, Steven P. said:

A Next Generation spinoff with Captain Riker would work for me, it would be the continuation that TOS never got and a nod to the 50 year anniversary imo.

TNG anniversary is in 2017, 30 years ;)

Yeah me too and many fans have said the same thing. The all but guarantees that it is NOT what they are doing because they have never given the fans what they want.

I did read a rumor that the series is set post TNG. One rumor said it is right after Nemesis and another rumor 80 years after TNG.

I read this new series is set after the events of star trek 6, meaning possible return of old uniforms and classic ships, now that Nicholas  Meyer is on board.

anthology seasons are mentioned, so we could get separate seasons to maybe bring closure or even a few more adventures to the shows that ended...who knows.

20 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

I read this new series is set after the events of star trek 6, meaning possible return of old uniforms and classic ships, now that Nicholas  Meyer is on board.

anthology seasons are mentioned, so we could get separate seasons to maybe bring closure or even a few more adventures to the shows that ended...who knows.

Still would love for an Enterprise "season 5", featuring the Romulan Wars, and the eventual founding of the Federation. Still upset that the show was cancelled as it was getting good.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2015 at 6:03 PM, redfish said:

Yea, and I don't think any of the original movies were ever as good as the tv series. Star Trek just works better in episodic format. The Star Trek movies would just be like two hour episodes with more dramatic explosions and events like the Enterprise getting destroyed. The later movies got really lame. I think something JJ Abrams understood, at least, is to make Star Trek work as a movie, the formula has to be tweaked a bit.

Couldn't agree more. I think any of the movies without the original members sucked, just as any of the tv series did, although I did start to enjoy the series with Picard as captain.

Totally loved the original series but everything has done nothing but go down hill since then.

Meyer released like, 2,000 or so photos from the making of the original motion picture. So naturally everyone is assuming this signals the new series will be based after TMP at some point in the original timeline at least. Setting it between Star Trek 1 and 2 from the JJverse would be weird, and probably to expensive (I guess).

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/22/cbss-new-star-trek-tv-series-will-film-in-toronto-this-fall/

They'll start filming this fall, in Toronto.   The rumors still hold that it's going to be set between TOS and TNG, maybe we'll get to see the Enterprise B some more?  Can't be the C iirc, cuz we know that didn't end well, so I doubt they'll go with that.   Or they pull a fast one and it's just a totally different ship, guess we'll know soon enough.

As far as having them between ST and ST2 in the new universe, nah, not enough time to really do a show since the two movies don't leave enough of a gap to play with IMO.  Costs wouldn't be an issue because they could reuse sets between the tv show and movies as well, cost saving IMO.  But that doesn't seem to be what the studios want to do.

would be cool if the enterprise b made an appearance with the same captain from the movie, he's a decent enough actor, but i reckon we've seen enough of the enterprise, but again, who knows what will turn up...