[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

17 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Right, but honestly why would anyone spit on their fans in such fashion? I don't get it.

Because they're competing brands? And because their material is (always) owned by a greedy, multinational conglomerate? Can't have your cake and eat it too. While I'm sure we're all annoyed that Trek is no longer in the hands of Gene, who wouldn't of cared, I'd rather have a real, professionally made television show, than a fan series with inconsistent airings, episodes, etc...

Also, stop acting like this isn't a new thing. Back in the early 90s when the internet became a thing for the general masses, Paramount went after any sites that posted content from the shows on it, let alone creating it. Cease and desist letters were the norm back then. There used a be a movement called Red Alert, to stop Paramount from coming down on people back then. The plethora of "starship databases" and sites posting the 30 second trailers for next week's episode were constantly going offline and changing names. Spoiler sites like section31 and the greatlink also had legal troubles. Star Trek copyrights have never gotten along with the internet.

Boycott all you want, the only ones who are up in arms are the ones who supported such fan series... which is minuscule compared to the majority. Drop in the bucket. They just happen to be the loudest right now. A vocal minority. Otherwise, nobody gives a crap.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1

It's not really competition, most of the fan stuff is just poorly made like parades of trek that try to be serious.  There's a point where fan fiction could hurt the brand.   You're also trying to make something that's a bit more professional and hijacking a series you don't own the rights to.    The whole problem with Axanar, from CBS and Paramount's point is that it's crossing a line between "fan made fiction" to full on copyright/trademark violation TV series.    And not to mention you bring money into the equation?  What do people think is going to happen?   I don't care what show it is, it could be anything out there owned by some studio, the moment you start collecting money from investors/kickstarter, you're no longer just making a fan movie/series, you're full on doing a production you have no right to make in the first place.  It's mind blowing how some don't see this as an issue, in what way shape or form is some studio that owns the rights to some show going to allow you to collect half a million+ in investment, and yes, kickstarter is an investment from the public, to make a full on movie you don't have the license to make in the first place?   It makes no sense.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, DocM said:

First people complain about the cost of cable bundles and want ala carte, then they get ala carte and complain about paying for the exclusive content which makes it viable to offer. 

torrents! =)

1 hour ago, Zathras5 said:

Crud. I just read the whole press release. It's still exclusive to the cbs streaming in the US. Booo hssss, not cool.

That should've been a given, they're only doing the deal with Netflix because CBS' new streaming service is US only and they want to get it out WW, they're more or less having to partner with Netflix, for now.   As time goes on though, I expect CBS to expand it's own service, if it's a success, and rely less and less on Netflix.

I really wish CBS would allow it on Netflix in the States. I already pay for it, no need to throw more money away. :glare:

Uh, I don't know what to say. Other than that ship looks badass but also ... Klingon much? And I guess the show is titled Discovery now? NCC-1031? Ok, so no new Enterprise which we figured. Still, the FX look a little, weird to me? Obviously not finished yet. I hope.

So apparently, this design is directly taken from the Ralph McQuarrie designs he did for the Star Trek Phase 2 series in the 70s. Whether that means the new show will be Phase 2 based or not, we don't know yet.

Some thoughts on the newest teaser....

1.  The design is clearly based on the ship from the aborted "Star Trek Phase II" and "Star Trek Planet of the Titans" film.. See here:  http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/planet-of-the-titans-the-film-that-wasnt/

2.  The cgi is terrible.  I mean, very very amateurish terrible.   I think it's clear now why all the new restrictions about fan films came down...  They're putting out better cgi than the actual studio can.

3.  TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.  DIS = Disney....   DSC = Discovery Channel in the US......   I sure hope we aren't going to call this STD right?.....  Right???? ..............??????

4.  Going back to point 2, I really am truly worried about the production values on this...  Please tell me this isn't what the final show will look like....

5. Drums...  the drums...  Star Trek meets BSG reboot?  

Apparently is just test footage (like in the title for the video) so the CGI is very early. Also, the show is a reboot according to Deadline. ANOTHER reboot.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

So basically Brian Fuller confimed this is a Prime universe show, and its a reboot. No other information really out of Comic-Con yet. Show will focus on the USS Discovery but its an unknown class of ship based on the Phase 2 Enterprise redesigns.

Why the ###### do we keep doing reboots. This sounded like it had so much promise. It'd be nice to have something so far in the future that the 22nd and 23rd centuries were a distant memory. Sounds like more same old, same old.

I wouldn't worry about CGI right now, it's probably only a rough, unfinished product. TV show probably isn't even being produced yet.

2 hours ago, shockz said:

Why the ###### do we keep doing reboots. This sounded like it had so much promise. It'd be nice to have something so far in the future that the 22nd and 23rd centuries were a distant memory. Sounds like more same old, same old.

I wouldn't worry about CGI right now, it's probably only a rough, unfinished product. TV show probably isn't even being produced yet.

The challenge with that is you inevitably have to write the whole if history between the last series, which I guess is Voyager, and the distant future ultimately leading to some pretty bad decisions. Personally wish they would do something just after the Voyager timeline, a little into the future but not so far that there is too much "history" to write.

lammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme

why can't star trek continue in the same original universe like what star wars is doing...don't see that being screwed up with alternative timelines.

guess trek isn't sacred like wars. hopes for a decent show dashed.

7 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

The challenge with that is you inevitably have to write the whole if history between the last series, which I guess is Voyager, and the distant future ultimately leading to some pretty bad decisions. Personally wish they would do something just after the Voyager timeline, a little into the future but not so far that there is too much "history" to write.

They should continue off at the end of the dominion war / start of the borg invasion (and the borgs true origins)

• Like 1

Lets not forget that the older shows relied a lot on physically shot models, and that this is test footage. Will be interested to see if this is a joint Federation/Klingon design, because if it isnt, it certainly looks like it! I wonder if its supposed to be more capable of holding a higher capacity of smaller ships with that larger section in its ass, because that could certainly aid the possibility of more cinematic space battles. I say because the motion picture concept that they based it on looks like it has a massive shuttlebay.

This looks like it was put together over night just to have something to show on SDCC. If this is anywhere near what the final product will look like, this might actually be the worst CGI I've seen in a show since, like, Charmed. I'm also not too keen on the actual design of the ship.

12 hours ago, LOC said:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

So basically Brian Fuller confimed this is a Prime universe show, and its a reboot. No other information really out of Comic-Con yet. Show will focus on the USS Discovery but its an unknown class of ship based on the Phase 2 Enterprise redesigns.

That article doesn't mention it's a reboot anywhere.

Just now, Syanide said:

That article doesn't mention it's a reboot anywhere.

Yeah, in terms of timeline and where the show stands in this regard, I havent seen an actual source anwhere, people seem to just keep passing around rumors.

I love the ship!  (And Audio FX).  Other than the nacells on the wrong side, which I guess kinda gives it a Klingon demeanor, its solid.  Especially after the abortion alternate Enterprise A in Beyond.  The CGI, even so early, is passably fine with me. 

Where are you getting 'reboot' from that article?

"One of the most beautiful things of Star Trek is that you have people who see this show and they want to be scientists, they want to make it into space, we have to celebrate a progression of our species, because it seems right now we as a species need a little help. There’s nothing like the guiding light that Gene Roddenberry hung high in the sky."

Edited by Dashel

The original article I linked to mentioned it being a reboot but quickly removed that part because of it being incorrect I assume. As far as we've learned it is not a reboot but takes place in the prime universe. Assuming around the TOS era, but could be slightly before or slightly after. Either way, its prime universe so that's great for us trekkies in the end.