Windows 10 LTSB 1511 ISO

2 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

We stopped rolling out Windows 10.  It is not useful  in our company to constantly have to deal with this app or that app.  And according to everyone here, we shouldn't be using LTSB.  So we are just sticking with Windows 7 and will probably just jump ship to some other platform.  This is just ridiculous.

FTFY. Also, if your company is hinging their decisions on what people say here, they are IT bads. 

25 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

FTFY. Also, if your company is hinging their decisions on what people say here, they are IT bads. 

So LTSB is acceptable to use then?  That is what I thought.  But everyone here seems to think differently.  And I am not hinging on the decision on what people say here.  Some of them have no clue.  Windows 7 is working.  Windows 10 is not.  It has been months and I still cannot correctly prevent apps and remove apps with GPOs and am constantly dealing with the changes.  I have followed ALL guides I know of, and all videos I know of.  But for some reason, some apps are still allowed to be run.  Therefore, we are sticking to Windows 7.

People here just do not understand how IT is run.  How is planning years ahead "bad planning".  I fail to see how some people here constantly get on my case saying this is just poor planning.  HOW????????

If the Anniversary update breaks some program we use, we only have 6 months to figure it out (if it is even possible).

8 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

So LTSB is acceptable to use then?  That is what I thought.  But everyone here seems to think differently.  And I am not hinging on the decision on what people say here.  Some of them have no clue.  Windows 7 is working.  Windows 10 is not.  It has been months and I still cannot correctly prevent apps and remove apps with GPOs and am constantly dealing with the changes.  I have followed ALL guides I know of, and all videos I know of.  But for some reason, some apps are still allowed to be run.  Therefore, we are sticking to Windows 7.

People here just do not understand how IT is run.  How is planning years ahead "bad planning".  I fail to see how some people here constantly get on my case saying this is just poor planning.  HOW????????

If the Anniversary update breaks some program we use, we only have 6 months to figure it out (if it is even possible).

Those of us that have done some research know that LTSB is fine to use. Plus LTSB will give you the longevity to not have to upgrade until the next LTSB release in a few years. I'm not saying that it is infallible, but it's more than adequate to use if you don't want to have to deal with updates every few months that change the UI, break applications or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

Those of us that have done some research know that LTSB is fine to use. Plus LTSB will give you the longevity to not have to upgrade until the next LTSB release in a few years. I'm not saying that it is infallible, but it's more than adequate to use if you don't want to have to deal with updates every few months that change the UI, break applications or something like that.

I agree.  LTSB is a good fit.  It just pisses me off how some people responded.

$$$ is also why we halted deployment.  We only had 25 licenses for LTSB we could use.

50 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

Yup, LTSB is perfectly fine. Not for all companies but for some, absolutely. 

33 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

LTSB.. Long Term Service Branch? never heard of it

Not surprising. It is not sold to the public. 

I do not think that Windows 10 is ready for installation as the default OS in a business environment or a production.

It is still in its infancy and W10 requires a lot of baby sitting.

19 minutes ago, RGC1940 said:

I do not think that Windows 10 is ready for installation as the default OS in a business environment or a production.

It is still in its infancy and W10 requires a lot of baby sitting.

Except it doesn't. We have it on every workstation here and there is no babysitting needed. We are not a big company, but with it installed on 70-80 workstations it would show a problem somewhere if there was one. 

11 hours ago, xWhiplash said:

It has been months and I still cannot correctly prevent apps and remove apps with GPOs and am constantly dealing with the changes.  I have followed ALL guides I know of, and all videos I know of.  But for some reason, some apps are still allowed to be run.

Did you use AppLocker to block apps? Did you enable the "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences" GPO to prevent Candy Crush etc. showing up on the Start Menu?

I haven't had any issues removing the apps I do not want from our Windows 10 image. After creating a PowerShell script to do it, it takes me around 15 minutes every time MS release a new image. Obviously I spend a time testing my image, but this doesn't take weeks or months.

Edited by Ace

11 hours ago, Daedroth said:

it's more than adequate to use if you don't want to have to deal with updates every few months that change the UI, break applications or something like that.

That's not true, is it? If you are on the CBB you can defer updates for 12-14 months.

13 minutes ago, Ace said:

That's not true, is it? If you are on the CBB you can defer updates for 12-14 months.

Sure, I got my timescale a little wrong. However, do you expect me to have to tackle major upgrades, changes, compatibility issues and training every 12-14 months for our 500 devices, 120 staff and 700 pupils? Using the LTSB version, I can tackle those in the way that we have done for as long as I can remember...an upgrade every few years as opposed to every 12-14 months at a maximum. 

6 hours ago, Ace said:

Did you use AppLocker to block apps? Did you enable the "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences" GPO to prevent Candy Crush etc. showing up on the Start Menu?

I haven't had any issues removing the apps I do not want from our Windows 10 image. After creating a PowerShell script to do it, it takes me around 15 minutes every time MS release a new image. Obviously I spend a time testing my image, but this doesn't take weeks or months.

Yep.  It would not work for a few apps for some reason.  It was not an issue until 1511 brought the apps back, uninstalled a few things, and reset all of our defaults.  This should NOT happen.

23 hours ago, Daedroth said:

do you expect me to have to tackle major upgrades, changes, compatibility issues and training every 12-14 months for our 500 devices, 120 staff and 700 pupils?

It's not impossible. For example, to go from one version to another (1511 > 1607) download the Windows 10 ISO from VLSC, modify the install.wim to remove apps you don't want, import into SCCM and then deploy via an upgrade task sequence. You could even use WOL to boot up PCs in the middle of the night to do the upgrade.

Regarding compatibility issues. Did you have software that works on build 10240, but not 10586?

On 6/18/2016 at 2:53 AM, Ace said:

It's not impossible. For example, to go from one version to another (1511 > 1607) download the Windows 10 ISO from VLSC, modify the install.wim to remove apps you don't want, import into SCCM and then deploy via an upgrade task sequence. You could even use WOL to boot up PCs in the middle of the night to do the upgrade.

Regarding compatibility issues. Did you have software that works on build 10240, but not 10586?

Can you guarantee that the anniversary update will not break ANY apps?  This is what actual planning is.  LTSB is guaranteed to work the way it works now for a long period of time.  The 1511 update removed a few things that we need to use daily (AV for one, and for me RSAT).

On 20/06/2016 at 9:10 AM, xWhiplash said:

Can you guarantee that the anniversary update will not break ANY apps?  This is what actual planning is.  LTSB is guaranteed to work the way it works now for a long period of time.  The 1511 update removed a few things that we need to use daily (AV for one, and for me RSAT).

hi dude, forget the 1511 update on version LTSB, you need READ ALL about this o.s before; so change to Windows 10 PRO at least :s

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2016 at 6:24 AM, Nelsinho said:

hi dude, forget the 1511 update on version LTSB, you need READ ALL about this o.s before; so change to Windows 10 PRO at least :s

Unfortunately, a few features were removed from Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update.  Sigh, why can't Windows 10 be consistent for businesses like Windows 7 was?  The update failed on a couple of test systems too.  This is why LTSB was a good idea guys.....

Edited by xWhiplash

• 7 months later...
On 8/3/2016 at 9:39 AM, xWhiplash said:

Unfortunately, a few features were removed from Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update.  Sigh, why can't Windows 10 be consistent for businesses like Windows 7 was?  The update failed on a couple of test systems too.  This is why LTSB was a good idea guys.....

Ah, But be careful what you wish for, xWhiplash.

Microsoft NEVER made an LTSB release of Windows 10 v1511 and never will.  They did make an LTSB release of Windows 10 v1607 (aka Anniversary Update). Read here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

According to official documentation, Microsoft will typically release a new major version of Windows 10 LTSB every two to three years. That’s what the documentation says, anyway–the current version of Windows 10 LTSB seems based on the Anniversary Update, so Microsoft is seemingly still changing its plans. You can also choose to skip releases–every version of Windows 10 LTSB will be supported with security and stability updates for ten years, according to Microsoft.

Microsoft Doesn’t Want You Using Windows 10 LTSB

Microsoft doesn’t want people using Windows 10 LTSB on general purpose PCs, though. As Microsoft puts it, “LTSB is not intended for deployment on most or all the PCs in an organization; it should be used only for special-purpose devices. As a general guideline, a PC with Microsoft Office installed is a general-purpose device, typically used by an information worker, and therefore it is better suited for the [Current Branch] or [Current Branch for Business] servicing branch.”

LTSB is only for rare mission-critical devices. “It’s more important that these devices be kept as stable and secure as possible than up to date with user interface changes,” explains the documentation. You might want your desktop PC to stay as stable and secure as possible without user interface changes, but Microsoft doesn’t want to give the average Windows 10 user this option. Microsoft wants your PC constantly updated with new features.

LTSB users just get only security updates and NO feature updates like the v1511 release of Win10.

In theory, Win10 LTSB may be good on the outside but in reality it's kinda like a watered-down version of Win10 with a bunch of missing features AND should not be used on consumer type PCs.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for :)

Edited by erpster3

Please do not resurrect old threads.  If you want to continue LTSB discussion (current build is 1607 iirc) ... please start a new thread.

//locked

• Jim K locked this topic