Bugs & things we are aware of for IPB 4.1

25 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I can understand that if it were more difficult but gradually ease into EASY?  "oh you mean now, I don't have to use bbcode? All I have to do is put my content in the box? TO EASY!! I QUIT" ... LOL Dullards

I mean that some of the changes made are less obvious, which could easily frustrate people.  (For example: In the initial IPB4, the editor required you to use Ctrl+Enter to make a new line without spacing) Better indications & gradual changes would have helped get rid of confusion.

Obviously the people still here are starting to get used to the changes with the help of Neowin tweaking certain aspects, so some features act more like IPB3.

Anyways, it's too late for that. IPB4 is out, so there's no point on discussing how they could have eased people in.

29 minutes ago, superj707 said:

It's also the most functional right out of the box! There is always a trade off. Good thing they didn't bulk it up with loads of legacy crap

Most functional OOB? really? you must be working for IPB. it's more like one of the least functional OOB. 

Neowin is still missing a ton of features after the ugprade, waiting for devs internal and external t upgrade their plugins. fucntions that are standard and built in on any other forum. 

Heck it doesn't even come with something as basic as a fully configurable spam/flood control filter allowing you to set max posts/topics per time unit... I mean, I don't think I know of ANY forum that doesn't have something so basic. And unlike the absolute ###### spam filter that they do have that doesn't prevent anything a basic spam/flood filter allowing you to set max 1 new topic per hour would severely limit and prevent the spam floods that's been happening the last few months. 

3 hours ago, superj707 said:

You punch one or two holes in it but omit tons of other things that it does really well. There are no perfect solutions out there.

He just punched one or two additional holes in the Swiss cheese. No point in reiterating all the issues. 

On 01/01/2016 at 8:28 PM, superj707 said:

They wanted to build a next gen framework from the ground up. They still offer the 3.x version for people who are not ready for next level stuff.

The more legacy clutter they packed into IP4 the slower it would have been. I am glad they made something focused only on the way forward. They are the only forum solution in town to do so.

Change is never easy, but it's good in this case I feel.

Change itself is OK. Not telling your forum users what the changes are? Really really REALLY stupid!

30 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Change itself is OK. Not telling your paying customers (Neowin) that the changes wont take properly.  Really really REALLY stupid!

Fixed that for you.

The conversion from 3 > 4 was supposed to work but didn't for us, and not even in their own forums where they have a bunch of topics which are broke as well (links pointing to the same thread instead of where the member originally linked). We even waited a few versions before finally upgrading, and some of our active members called us out on why it was taking so long at the time too, so there's that as well...

If anyone was duped, it is Neowin itself, and 14 years of post content that is still broken. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Fixed that for you.

The conversion from 3 > 4 was supposed to work but didn't for us, and not even in their own forums where they have a bunch of topics which are broke as well (links pointing to the same thread instead of where the member originally linked). We even waited a few versions before finally upgrading, and some of our active members called us out on why it was taking so long at the time too, so there's that as well...

If anyone was duped, it is Neowin itself, and 14 years of post content that is still broken. 

Did you know it was broken before you upgraded? If you did, you have no one to blame for that but yourselves. Why did you go ahead with it?  It worked fine as it was...

18 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Fixed that for you.

Did you get a chance to make a back-up?

I'm just wondering. If 14 years of content is important, then maybe it can be considered to rollback and lose a month of the newly added content since the upgrade. But I guess the point of no-return has been passed already.

@Steven P.

Sorry folks, I'll stand with Steven here. He does not want forum to be messed up deliberately. He is doing the best whatever he can. Please notice that we have now new Developers like Mur and The Decryptor than during IPB 3 era.

Things will get fixed over time but still we need to be patient. IPB 4 upgrade was mess but IPB 4 to 4.1, we gained speed but do agree that we lost Activity feature. Still I think Steven will compensate with some other mod or addon or plugin later on.

Can you please share the list of accept bugs with the Developer assigned in this thread by editing first post?

Hopeful that down the line, things will get streamlined or fixed. I think Steven should show this thread to IPB so they can realize how much mess they have caused.

List is updated, planned update to 4.1.6 is this coming weekend, and yep @ZeroHour one welcome fix is that you don't have to 'go to new line' with a media (image/video) embed. I wonder if this will also fix smilies where at least one space after smiley code is needed for it to parse properly? We shall see :devil: 

Activity page works for me, what was the bug there again?

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

List is updated, planned update to 4.1.6 is this coming weekend, and yep @ZeroHour one welcome fix is that you don't have to 'go to new line' with a media (image/video) embed. I wonder if this will also fix smilies where at least one space after smiley code is needed for it to parse properly? We shall see :devil: 

Activity page works for me, what was the bug there again?

4.1.7 is rumoured to have Activity Stream fixes hopefully where it gets around the need for pagination (aka you can go to a thread then back to the same place in activity)

On 01/01/2016 at 10:10 PM, HawkMan said:

Most functional OOB? really? you must be working for IPB. it's more like one of the least functional OOB. 

Neowin is still missing a ton of features after the ugprade, waiting for devs internal and external t upgrade their plugins. fucntions that are standard and built in on any other forum. 

Heck it doesn't even come with something as basic as a fully configurable spam/flood control filter allowing you to set max posts/topics per time unit... I mean, I don't think I know of ANY forum that doesn't have something so basic. And unlike the absolute ###### spam filter that they do have that doesn't prevent anything a basic spam/flood filter allowing you to set max 1 new topic per hour would severely limit and prevent the spam floods that's been happening the last few months. 

IPB does have flood control (for both searches, and posts), it always has. I'm not sure if it's still enabled on these forums but it does have the feature.

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/334561-can-the-20-second-flood-control-be-removed/

Yes it has flood control and it used to be set quite heavily which resulted in member complaints.

My personal feeling is: why should we spoil the experience for genuine members over a few bad eggs?  We installed a plugin, that isn't free to use (OK it doesn't cost a lot of money either) called Cleantalk, and I have already opened a support ticket about this ####ing spam coming from India. They use a few ranges, but adding them all will block the whole country, not really an option. Cleantalk have asked for 2-3 days to investigate, and I submitted the ticket 2 days ago.

We're also looking at other possibilities for anti-spam, and if any changes are made, I will be sure to update.

Lastly, lets not forget that our team of moderators aren't lazy when it comes to spamming or trolling in general, we are very lucky to have such a dedicated team of individuals, but they are people, not robots, so you will see the odd spam post show up before it gets handled!

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Yes it has flood control and it used to be set quite heavily which resulted in member complaints.

My personal feeling is: why should we spoil the experience for genuine members over a few bad eggs?  We installed a plugin, that isn't free to use (OK it doesn't cost a lot of money either) called Cleantalk, and I have already opened a support ticket about this ####ing spam coming from India. They use a few ranges, but adding them all will block the whole country, not really an option. Cleantalk have asked for 2-3 days to investigate, and I submitted the ticket 2 days ago.

We're also looking at other possibilities for anti-spam, and if any changes are made, I will be sure to update.

Lastly, lets not forget that our team of moderators aren't lazy when it comes to spamming or trolling in general, we are very lucky to have such a dedicated team of individuals, but they are people, not robots, so you will see the odd spam post show up before it gets handled!

Well when e talked about this last I suggested a limit to only allow "new" members to post 1 new thread every hour. a limit that would affect pretty much no one but the spammers as very few if any new members with less than a hundred posts would need to post multiple thread in an hour.  and you said this wasn't possible with their flood control. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

@Steven P. I would hold off on 4.1.6 for the next build as this bug: https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/active-reports/search-spins-no-results-r9725/ may have a pretty noticeable effect here. 4.1.7 will hopefully be pushed through quickly in the next week or so.

That bug won't affect true searches though, and there are other fixes over 4.1.5.2 that are needed too. When 4.1.7 is out there will be a bug there, prompting a 4.1.7.1 they are version happy atm :s

Someone really needs to take a hard & extended look into why dropping in a YouTube URL isn't automatically rendering the player and instead just displays the link for however long before the player shows up.

9 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Someone really needs to take a hard & extended look into why dropping in a YouTube URL isn't automatically rendering the player and instead just displays the link for however long before the player shows up.

I'd rather they look at the ads issue on mobile. They aren't mobile friendly when transitioning from landscape to portrait and most of the time the first page load doesn't load the mobile friendly ads due to a race condition.