They are sabotaging the pc to force people to use smartphone?


Recommended Posts

+Gary7

when it comes with a mouse and a keyboard I will try one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix
1 hour ago, MeowPurr said:

I'd love to see the look on Microsoft employees' faces when they see telemetry data and they find out that basically no one is even clicking on these apps to open them, even when they are basically shoving them down our throats every second. :laugh:

You mean the telemetry data that has said people are using them?

 

Sorry, come back when you've come back to reality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DrainTheSw4mp
27 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

You mean the telemetry data that has said people are using them?

 

Sorry, come back when you've come back to reality.

Um, have you even read the article? Let's review each of these stats to see that it's all just BS, not so different from the tactics used by Apple to trick their flock of sheep with elaborate statistics that actually don't mean anything:

  • Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch. When Cortana replaces the Start Menu search then this number doesn't look as big now does it? People looking for a file on their computers are the bulk of this claim.
  • Around 30% more Bing search queries per Windows 10 device. Same as before, they've made sure there is no way to disable this functionality. You do a local file search and you get online, Bing-powered results.
  • Gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10 Lol, are they now counting Win32 games for their stupid telemetry data?
  • 2x increase in the number of paid transactions Not so hard to get 'twice' as many transactions when basically no one is using the store apps.
  • 60% of paying customer (sic) were new to the Store again, when you don't give hard numbers it's all meaningless.
  • In December, Windows 10 generated more than a 4.5x increase in revenue per device, as compared to Windows 8 of course, when you're basically forcing every single internet connected Windows PC to get Win10, this is the least you could expect.

  • Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10. If you have a look at the Task Manager you can clearly see that Modern Apps remain open after closing them, even after a restart. So, duh, with Edge open at all times, this number doesn't mean anything.

  • People have spent over 11 billion hours on Windows 10 in December alone, spending more time on Windows than ever before. Well duh, it's the first version where they can track all these usage statistics. So when you have nothing to compare against they can make all these stupid claims.

And there you go. It's all meaningless BS.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
6 minutes ago, MeowPurr said:

Um, have you even read the article? Let's review each of these stats to see that it's all just BS, not so different from the tactics used by Apple to trick their flock of sheep with elaborate statistics that actually don't mean anything:

  • Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch. When Cortana replaces the Start Menu search then this number doesn't look as big now does it? People looking for a file on their computers are the bulk of this claim.
  • Around 30% more Bing search queries per Windows 10 device. Same as before, they've made sure there is no way to disable this functionality. You do a local file search and you get online, Bing-powered results.
  • Gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10 Lol, are they now counting Win32 games for their stupid telemetry data?
  • 2x increase in the number of paid transactions Not so hard to get 'twice' as many transactions when basically no one is using the store apps.
  • 60% of paying customer (sic) were new to the Store again, when you don't give hard numbers it's all meaningless.
  • In December, Windows 10 generated more than a 4.5x increase in revenue per device, as compared to Windows 8 of course, when you're basically forcing every single internet connected Windows PC to get Win10, this is the least you could expect.

  • Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10. If you have a look at the Task Manager you can clearly see that Modern Apps remain open after closing them, even after a restart. So, duh, with Edge open at all times, this number doesn't mean anything.

  • People have spent over 11 billion hours on Windows 10 in December alone, spending more time on Windows than ever before. Well duh, it's the first version where they can track all these usage statistics. So when you have nothing to compare against they can make all these stupid claims.

And there you go. It's all meaningless BS.

Cortana is a virtual assistant - it is not tablet-specific.  (In fact, it's not even W10M-unique; it's in every version of Windows 8+ except Windows Phone 8 and available for Android - and is coming to both OS X and iOS.)

It's quite avoidable - while I use Bing, I don't use JUST Bing; I also use Google and Ecosia Search - the latter is Waterfox' default.

Not all transactions through ANY store cost money - how many free games are "purchased" via Steam or Origin - let alone via the Windows Store - every week?

Most new paid transactions are via the Store (as opposed to other options) - not exactly news, as e-purchasing as a whole is gaining steam (not a pun) - in short, e-tail is replacing retail merely in general.

Windows 10's revenue per device increase - see my point about e-tail in general.

44.5 billion minutes spent using Edge - that is primarily due to a lot of web sites being designed for other browsers (mainly Firefox or Chrome); this is especially true of porn - still a major category of sites browsed.  When you have sites (as a category) targeting a specific browser type, use of that browser type by those sites is going to be affected positively, while unfavored browsers get hammered.  Sitemasters are STILL by and large drankin the Hateraid when it comes to Microsoft's browsers - including IE and Edge.  (Therefore, not news.)

That isn't news, either.  (The very reason that Windows 10 is so GOOD at gathering those metrics is because that is what sitemasters (not alone Microsoft) WANT - how can you judge that your site is effective WITHOUT such tracking data?

 

Sounds like you're mad that the needle moved at all - as opposed to the needle moved in Microsoft's favor.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
rocksturdy
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:09 PM, kifirefox said:

They are sabotaging the pc to force people to use smartphone?

It seems that people are failing to use PC to get on the internet via smartphone.
navigators, operational systems of the PCs hardware, it's getting worse.
It seems that they are trying to force people to migrate to only use the phone now. and want people to stop using PC.

it's just a question, I do not know what's going well.

I think your comment begs the question: who are "they"?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix
53 minutes ago, MeowPurr said:

Um, have you even read the article? Let's review each of these stats to see that it's all just BS, not so different from the tactics used by Apple to trick their flock of sheep with elaborate statistics that actually don't mean anything:

  • Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch. When Cortana replaces the Start Menu search then this number doesn't look as big now does it? People looking for a file on their computers are the bulk of this claim.
  • Around 30% more Bing search queries per Windows 10 device. Same as before, they've made sure there is no way to disable this functionality. You do a local file search and you get online, Bing-powered results.
  • Gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10 Lol, are they now counting Win32 games for their stupid telemetry data?
  • 2x increase in the number of paid transactions Not so hard to get 'twice' as many transactions when basically no one is using the store apps.
  • 60% of paying customer (sic) were new to the Store again, when you don't give hard numbers it's all meaningless.
  • In December, Windows 10 generated more than a 4.5x increase in revenue per device, as compared to Windows 8 of course, when you're basically forcing every single internet connected Windows PC to get Win10, this is the least you could expect.

  • Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10. If you have a look at the Task Manager you can clearly see that Modern Apps remain open after closing them, even after a restart. So, duh, with Edge open at all times, this number doesn't mean anything.

  • People have spent over 11 billion hours on Windows 10 in December alone, spending more time on Windows than ever before. Well duh, it's the first version where they can track all these usage statistics. So when you have nothing to compare against they can make all these stupid claims.

And there you go. It's all meaningless BS.

Sorry you find it meaningless BS, but to Microsoft, it's far from it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K
17 minutes ago, rocksturdy said:

I think your comment begs the question: who are "they"?

The Illuminati?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisj1968

I don't think the PC will ever go away. I think what MS is doing is trying to propagate an ecosystem across devices (duh right?). However, if MS killed the PC, what would MS have left to do? Windows is their flagship OS. suppose the PC does go away. the tablet won't handle the void for gaming, because they'll have to be made into huge gaming laptops with graphic cards and lots of heat.

 

Windows Phone has been neglected as we already know...

 

 so tablets? really? desktops have lost a lot of popularity due to being forced to stay in a room (in general) but not in all cases. Mobile is the future. perhaps if people have a desktop/laptop for home use, smartphone and tablet for mobile to access from home systems..

 

if MS killed the PC.. MS would die. then everyone would run to Apple or Linux.

Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisj1968
11 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

You mean the telemetry data that has said people are using them?

 

Sorry, come back when you've come back to reality.

I've read an article that basically stated that with all the telemtery, MS somehow, i forget, makes money off the data it collects from all users somehow. something like revenue generation. I wish I remember where that article was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Active.
22 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

if MS killed the PC.. MS would die. then everyone would run to Apple or Linux.

Office/Azure/Server/Tools/Entertainment would happily live on. Windows might continue to exist as some sort of service/platform on top of other platforms. MS is already hedging their bets and adapting to a post-Windows world (in so far as Windows is rapidly being de-emphasized).

 

Having said that, the PC will be with us for a long time.

Edited by Active.
Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisj1968
4 minutes ago, Active. said:

Office/Azure/Server/Tools/Entertainment would happily live on. Windows might continue to exist as some sort of service on other platforms. MS is already hedging their bets and adapting to a post-Windows world (in so far as Windows is rapidly being de-emphasized).

 

Having said that, the PC will be with us for a long time.

But if a post Windows world existed, Gamers like us would find solace in Steam on Linux and gaming devs would surely slide over for more exposure to Linux. If Windows did decline in some way. just a hunch btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
Order_66

I don't know if there's an actual "conspiracy" but Microsoft is in fact destroying the desktop, no question or conspiracy theories about that at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
2 hours ago, Order_66 said:

I don't know if there's an actual "conspiracy" but Microsoft is in fact destroying the desktop, no question or conspiracy theories about that at all.

*Citation needed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Order_66
1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

*Citation needed.

Are you using Windows 10? If so then you are looking at the evidence already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
12 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

Are you using Windows 10? If so then you are looking at the evidence already.

You're going to have to do way better than that if you think Windows 10 is "proof" that MS are destroying the desktop.  I use it daily, and my desktop use is more productive than ever.

 

Provide links to proper studies that provide properly vetted evidence that Microsoft are destroying the desktop, or admit that your "facts" are nothing more than fantasies pulled from your nethers.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
3 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I don't think the PC will ever go away. I think what MS is doing is trying to propagate an ecosystem across devices (duh right?). However, if MS killed the PC, what would MS have left to do? Windows is their flagship OS. suppose the PC does go away. the tablet won't handle the void for gaming, because they'll have to be made into huge gaming laptops with graphic cards and lots of heat.

 

Windows Phone has been neglected as we already know...

 

 so tablets? really? desktops have lost a lot of popularity due to being forced to stay in a room (in general) but not in all cases. Mobile is the future. perhaps if people have a desktop/laptop for home use, smartphone and tablet for mobile to access from home systems..

 

if MS killed the PC.. MS would die. then everyone would run to Apple or Linux.

Nobody is killing the PC - heck, the PC isn't even under threat.  If anything, there is more software choice on the PC than ever, due to UWP, more virtualization options, etc.

 

Earlier above, I mentioned the HP Stream 7, an x64-based 7-inch tablet-formfactor device; however, the ONLY reason I call it a device is due to the screen size.  Other than being almost half the screen-size of Baby Pavilion (my smallest notebook in that category) it has ALL the features of said notebook (including Hyper-V support) and longer battery life besides.  If battery life is more important than screen-size, the Stream 7 can indeed replace a traditional notebook - and I can say it with a straight face.  For some users, that IS the case; however, I prefer notebooks due TO the screen-size advantage.  (However, I'm also aware I take it on the chin in the battery-life department - a penalty flag due to the larger screen.)

 

More virtualization - Hyper-V is itself more ubiquitous than it was merely with Windows 8 - and from portables up.  The sixty-four cent (US) question -  how many new desktops DON'T support Hyper-V?    Heck it's a fair question down to (and including) portable Atom-powered devices.  So far, other than OS X, any OS from 2000 or later can run in Hyper-V - any Linux distribution, any BSD, any UNIX - even Android.  How plentiful was merely support for VT-x when Windows 8 launched?  Now Hyper-V support is a checkbox item merely in notebooks and subnotebooks - and down to tablets running Windows 10 (not RT).  Another reason why RT is dead was that it didn't support virtualization - Atom does; in fact, N3700 supports Hyper-V.

 

What is dead, in actuality, is the single-function PC; PCs are multifunction by default these days - and this is more true than ever of notebooks, subnotes (more of both categories are based on Ultrabooks, to be honest) and notebook-part-based AIOs for cubicles and desks in home offices (with capabilities and computing power we could only have at more than three times the price - merely when Windows 7 was the Windows of the day).

 

The PC category is reinventing itself; all Microsoft is trying to do is keep up with it. (Still, as much as Microsoft is largely hated for it, at least it IS actually making the effort - which is more than I can say for anyone else.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
mudslag
18 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

Are you using Windows 10? If so then you are looking at the evidence already.

 

That's not evidence

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
4 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I've read an article that basically stated that with all the telemtery, MS somehow, i forget, makes money off the data it collects from all users somehow. something like revenue generation. I wish I remember where that article was.

I read somewhere that something happened somehow at some time. Then I posted it to tell everyone what I read about. I too wish I could find the article. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
4 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I don't think the PC will ever go away. I think what MS is doing is trying to propagate an ecosystem across devices (duh right?). However, if MS killed the PC, what would MS have left to do? Windows is their flagship OS. suppose the PC does go away. the tablet won't handle the void for gaming, because they'll have to be made into huge gaming laptops with graphic cards and lots of heat.

 

Windows Phone has been neglected as we already know...

 

 so tablets? really? desktops have lost a lot of popularity due to being forced to stay in a room (in general) but not in all cases. Mobile is the future. perhaps if people have a desktop/laptop for home use, smartphone and tablet for mobile to access from home systems..

 

if MS killed the PC.. MS would die. then everyone would run to Apple or Linux.

MS does not have a lifeline with Windows. Not even close. If Windows died tomorrow, MS would survive. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
4 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

But if a post Windows world existed, Gamers like us would find solace in Steam on Linux and gaming devs would surely slide over for more exposure to Linux. If Windows did decline in some way. just a hunch btw

chrisj1968 - High-end gaming will ALWAYS be the provenance of desktop PCs; that is a STATED target of such focus.  Laptops with the few higher-end GPUs for them all too often STILL result in well-toasted laps of their owners - Microsoft is getting an earful from Surface Book owners on the toasted-lap issue.  However, MAINSTREAM gaming can now be enjoyed by not just a lot more laptop owners, but notebook and AIO owners as well - that wasn't the case with Windows 7, for example.  (That is due to improvements in notebook GPUs and APUs - such as AMD's Fusion and Intel's LGA115x for notebooks - such as HD4400, which is the default.  For that reason, there are a lot more mainstream games (as opposed to high-end games.  (ANNO 2205 can indeed be played on a notebook or AIO of today - could that have been said of merely previous-category ANNO 2070 and merely the laptops of its day?)  Targeting mainstream hardware = greater sales - that is simple math any software publisher can do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
4 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I've read an article that basically stated that with all the telemtery, MS somehow, i forget, makes money off the data it collects from all users somehow. something like revenue generation. I wish I remember where that article was.

There's a lot more interest in that data outside of MS than from MS itself - look at the increased richness of reports from Google, Amazon, Valve - even Gartner and IDC - merely since Windows 8 started contributing that data.  (It is, in a way, a lot like the conundrum with NSA and their customer base - they want more and more data, while NSA has a bottleneck merely in terms of delivering it - and I'm talking merely what is legal TO deliver.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuskd

Casual computing -  More people are inclined to use their smartphones & tablets. If anything smartphones and tablets are becoming more PC like.
Resource Intensive/Work/Gaming - No threat whatsoever.

Who are "they"? Smartphone vendors? Software Companies? OS creators? Users/Fanbois?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Order_66
2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You're going to have to do way better than that if you think Windows 10 is "proof" that MS are destroying the desktop.  I use it daily, and my desktop use is more productive than ever.

 

Provide links to proper studies that provide properly vetted evidence that Microsoft are destroying the desktop, or admit that your "facts" are nothing more than fantasies pulled from your nethers.

 

Being a Microsoft zealot hardly qualifies you to make judgment calls on the credibility of others since you are not in a credible position yourself.

 

If you disagree that Microsoft is destroying the desktop, fine, I believe they are destroying the desktop, I find evidence of this just by looking at the forced changes they are making to the UI as well as their future push to cripple win32 by converting modern programs to regressive glorified metro apps and that's just the beginnings of desktop destruction.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
5 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

Being a Microsoft zealot hardly qualifies you to make judgment calls on the credibility of others since you are not in a credible position yourself.

 

If you disagree that Microsoft is destroying the desktop, fine, I believe they are destroying the desktop, I find evidence of this just by looking at the forced changes they are making to the UI as well as their future push to cripple win32 by converting modern programs to regressive glorified metro apps and that's just the beginnings of desktop destruction.

 

Being a Microsoft hater hardly qualifies you to make judgment calls on the credibility of others since you are not in a credible position yourself.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
28 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

Being a Microsoft zealot hardly qualifies you to make judgment calls on the credibility of others since you are not in a credible position yourself.

 

If you disagree that Microsoft is destroying the desktop, fine, I believe they are destroying the desktop, I find evidence of this just by looking at the forced changes they are making to the UI as well as their future push to cripple win32 by converting modern programs to regressive glorified metro apps and that's just the beginnings of desktop destruction.

 

Zeolot? Hardly.  I'm a professional Win32 app developer and have been since the days of Windows 3.11.  I see no indication of MS attempting to destroy the desktop in my professional capacity, merely attempts to cash in on the growing mobile market by adding to and extending Windows to handle the mobile application paradigm.

 

Win32 is going nowhere.

 

23 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Being a Microsoft hater hardly qualifies you to make judgment calls on the credibility of others since you are not in a credible position yourself.

Exactly.  He has zero evidence, just marsh gas.

 

Contrariwise, I offer zero evidence because I have no need to. I'm not the one making a claim here. :p

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.