[Official] The Orville

Don't forget The Orville has moved to Thursday nights (which had been the plan all along)...episode 3 tomorrow.  Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I skipped through all the Star Trek posts).

I've been enjoying this show quite a lot.

15 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

It's Fuller House in Spaaaaaace :rolleyes::p 

ugh...terrible show IMO.  Watched the first couple of episodes (for no other reason than nostalgia)...but no.  Granted, I probably couldn't watch Full House now either....though I liked it growing up.

How many seasons do you all think The Orville will last?  I give it two.  

30 minutes ago, Jim K said:

ugh...terrible show IMO.  Watched the first couple of episodes (for no other reason than nostalgia)...but no.  Granted, I probably couldn't watch Full House now either....though I liked it growing up.

How many seasons do you all think The Orville will last?  I give it two.  

It really has to have big ratings or FOX will can it quick, that's all they care about now instead of giving shows a chance to develop and hit their strides.    So you have to keep a close eye on the numbers it's pulling in to get an idea, if it's on Thursday nights that could be a good sign, not the Friday night slot of death at least.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shockz said:

ummmmm.... yes? The first episode was dreadful. When was the last time someone came blue goo on Trek? Or had a captain with a dysfunctional relationshp with an ex that ends up as a first officer???  The closest was Troi and Riker... and even then it was tactful. The alien of the week had possibly the worst acting and was nothing but shoot em up baddies. No substance.  And while pseudoscience has always been a thing on trek, I can't remember the last time a tree grew in space and somehow took out a ship. It's just comedy with quite frankly cheesy sequences. The language is not trek at all, unless it's being a satire.. And if you bothered reading my first post in the thread you'd see I said it had some similarities, but barely. This is seth's take on injecting comedy into Scifi (which always fails) and him playing out some of his trekkie fantasys, but it is hardly trek. It's a fun hour though, but this is nothing like trek outside a few set props and uniforms.

I think you're wanting it to be something that it isn't, and will never be.

It's not Comedy Trek, it's merely inspired by Trek and has a few tributary nods to it.  Other than that, it's its own show and should be judged on its own merits, not Treks.

I think you're also expecting it to be perfect off the bat.  Looking back at Trek, how many of the various shows have been perfect from episode 1?  TNG took until season 4.. Voyager NEVER got good, Enterprise took until season 4 as well, Even DS9 took until its second season to find its own feet...

• Like 2

Enterprise started off well, with the first season introducing us to a lot of the tech the Trek universe took for granted (transporters, certain ship functions etc) and more importantly alien species, then it got **** with the Xindi war stuff, and then season 4 was excellent. I liked Voyager all the way through. I consider myself a "Trekkie" but I enjoy all aspects of it, I don't pick and choose and get my panties in a twist if things don't go my way.

Yikes, this show looks very divisive. I've seen websites saying it's awful with comments saying it's great, and websites saying it's great with comments saying it's awful... This thread seems no different. Guess I'll have to wait till I see it myself to know.

9 hours ago, George P said:

It really has to have big ratings or FOX will can it quick, that's all they care about now instead of giving shows a chance to develop and hit their strides.    So you have to keep a close eye on the numbers it's pulling in to get an idea, if it's on Thursday nights that could be a good sign, not the Friday night slot of death at least.

Ugh, I hate how they do that. As soon as the very first episode is out they start looking at numbers - nobody knows what to expect, the only reason you get an audience at the premiere is the hype and the marketing, but somehow some people seem to think it's a good enough indication of success/failure

1 hour ago, Brys said:

Yikes, this show looks very divisive. I've seen websites saying it's awful with comments saying it's great, and websites saying it's great with comments saying it's awful... This thread seems no different. Guess I'll have to wait till I see it myself to know.

Ugh, I hate how they do that. As soon as the very first episode is out they start looking at numbers - nobody knows what to expect, the only reason you get an audience at the premiere is the hype and the marketing, but somehow some people seem to think it's a good enough indication of success/failure

Yeah, the fact is many classic shows that last 9 seasons or more never got going until late into their 2nd or maybe even their 3rd season.  Killing a show right after it's first season is way too soon to tell how it will develop, but it's what fox likes to do.

I watched the first episode last night. I've got mixed feelings on it, but overall I think I will continue watching. MacFarlane's speechless reactions were overused, although maybe I'm only just realising that it's his go-to thing.

21 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Just saw episode 3, and it was an interesting mix of mild humour, and tackling RL issues just like Trek used to do back in the day!

Yeah, it got pretty serious and still managed to toss in a few jokes.

I've seen a couple of people trying to compare it to sci-fi shows, just because it's set in space, and I've told them they shouldn't. 

It's a great series so far, good to watch with a beer and even better if you like Seth's kind of humour.

• Like 1

4th episode was solid I'd say, though the ship battles need work, they feel kind of, I dunno, bland I guess?  

35 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

refreshing to see Seth not making loads of jokes all the time.

The jahovas witniss line was pretty good though  :D

Much better episode.  Was darker than the others but kept the comedy as well.

Bortus is getting old, quick.  His character annoys me for some reason.  I just don't like it.  Not completely sold on Isaac either.  Seems like they are trying to imitate/copy Data to much.

Still enjoying the show tho and so far the last episode is the beast, IMO.

Latest episode reminds me of a TNG episode where a guy travels back in time to steal tech to make a profit.  I try not to compare the two shows...but there seems to be more and more similarities.