[Official] The Orville

7 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Tonight's episode teaches us the dangers of downvoting. Neowin, take heed. 

The thing I like about this show's comedy is the timing. The joke is rarely the center of the scene, it is just some off the cuff comment that people would make in real life. A few are a bit cheesy ("Bustin Jieber") but then, jokes are lame sometimes.

Had to double check the TV guide... First couple of minutes I thought a different show was on.

It was a good episode though.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, shockz said:

It's annoying that Trekkies are trying to equate this show with some sort off off the wall TNG, hoping this will get their fix since they don't want to pay for STD. It's an entirely different show then Trek.

I enjoy the Orville, but aside from a few set props and the warp field, it's nothing like Trek, and it shouldn't be. It's a goofy and comedic take on Scifi and that's fine, but setting it up with Trek expectations is probably going to result in disappointment.

The Orville is closer to Trek than anything we've gotten post TNG. The stories have been overall strong, the characters engaging (and more believable and relatable than in any Trek past TOS/TAS). This is humanity as we actually are in space - wiseass, joking, but aspiring to be our best. The goofiness just strengthens the classic Trek optimism that The Orville tries to emulate. This isn't an idealized version of humanity, but an honest one.

Frankly, I wish THIS were the new Trek series rather than Discovery.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, techbeck said:

If you compare it with ST, then you will never like it.  Supposed to be a comedic take on the whole space travel genre.

I do compare it to Star Trek, and it's better than any series we've gotten post TNG. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Tonight's episode teaches us the dangers of downvoting. Neowin, take heed. 

The thing I like about this show's comedy is the timing. The joke is rarely the center of the scene, it is just some off the cuff comment that people would make in real life. A few are a bit cheesy ("Bustin Jieber") but then, jokes are lame sometimes.

Another really strong episode, and a great poke at the ridiculousness of social media and popularity voting.  Absolutely loving that they're tackling current issues just like classic Trek used to. Ultimately, THAT is what Trek has always been about.

The episode was fine, the jokes aren't doing it for me though.   It feels like SM is holding back and being tame with his jokes compared to what he's done in other shows.  Anyways, it could be more witty than it's current level, we'll see how the next episode goes in that aspect.

I'm pretty relieved it isn't Family Guy/American Dad/Ted/Cleveland Show/whatever MacFarlane plays the same comedy in. Him showing range is great. He's a funny guy, but after a while, his shtick got repetitive. If you watch his Cavalcade of Comedy whatever, it is funny, but it is all the same kind of jokes.

Anyone watching his previous series knows that he is a huge nerd, and he has brought back what a lot of people loved about old sci-fi, which has been destroyed in modern attempts to revive it. For a long time, Galaxy Quest was the only decent show in that style in a long time (I would consider things like Firefly would be a different part of the genre, more action than sci-fi, which is what a lot of modern sci-fi ends up being).

It was my least favorite episode this season ... the kid actors were not very good.  Beginning was fine ... ending as well ... the planet part was just boring.  Very easy to forgive a couple of "bad" (or filler) episodes though...and this was the only one so far (IMO).  Preview for next week's episode looks good.

Also ... it has been renewed for a second season.  :)

GREAT NEWS! They should put a new doctor in the first episode of season 2 but none of the crew like her so she just disappears

I agree, my least favorite episode. Doc and Isaac were just not interesting, much less the kids (though I've seen worse, I don't think they were that terrible acting-wise, kids are generally just annoying unless you're related :-p ). Hard to really give a damn.

Strangely, it was by far the most Star Trek-y episode so far. On a [recreational voyage] an officer [encounters a space anomaly] and [crashes] so [artificial/emotionless lifeform] leads [lost kids] on [dangerous planet] where [society has devolved] while [ship searches]. A bit more dark with the whole doc straight up killing thing.

I don't think it was necessarily BAD, it was well made. Just didn't tickle me at all.

The bigger problem is that I think that a lot of the characters are very two dimensional, like Isaac or Bortus or Kitan or Finn or.. well, everyone except Mercer and Grayson, generally. It is fine for a few episodes, but the second season is going to need a lot of development changes.

Kid episodes particularly in sci-fi, cringe. Isaac's parenting was gold though!! I really liked it when Claire said "They may not value life but we do". That's a big part of why STD is a train wreck.

21 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I think that a lot of the characters are very two dimensional

Well that's 1 more than the Discovery crew :)

I did like his line about terminating them. That is the shift from Star Trek to Orville; they share a similar base, but Orville isn't afraid to sprinkle in some more deadpan adult/dark humor. And pop culture. Manilow was a genius!

22 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I agree, my least favorite episode. Doc and Isaac were just not interesting, much less the kids (though I've seen worse, I don't think they were that terrible acting-wise, kids are generally just annoying unless you're related :-p ). Hard to really give a damn.

Strangely, it was by far the most Star Trek-y episode so far. On a [recreational voyage] an officer [encounters a space anomaly] and [crashes] so [artificial/emotionless lifeform] leads [lost kids] on [dangerous planet] where [society has devolved] while [ship searches]. A bit more dark with the whole doc straight up killing thing.

I don't think it was necessarily BAD, it was well made. Just didn't tickle me at all.

The bigger problem is that I think that a lot of the characters are very two dimensional, like Isaac or Bortus or Kitan or Finn or.. well, everyone except Mercer and Grayson, generally. It is fine for a few episodes, but the second season is going to need a lot of development changes.

I think Isaac AND the Doc's characters developed quite a bit in that episode.  Being a parent myself, I well remember my kids at that age and they DID always squabble (though not that bad!) and were rather unruly... And I distinctly remember several times threatening to throw the little monsters into a wood chipper if they didn't pack it in... :p  The episode paralleled real life quite nicely actually!

• Like 1

Just a big character development episode, I wouldn't call it a filler though, you should expect these types of episodes from time to time.

Well, that was a wonderfully bizarre episode... and now we have weird implications. Can't re-ring some of those bells...

On 10/11/2017 at 0:06 PM, Zagadka said:

Well, that was a wonderfully bizarre episode... and now we have weird implications. Can't re-ring some of those bells...

It was Lwaxana Troi all over again, in the silliest way possible! Great episode though.

However... Yafet and the Doctor... Some things cannot be unseen! :o

Enjoyed tonight's episode ... kinda figured out what was going on before the reveal at the ending.  Dang clown ... 

Had some good humor at the right times.  :) 

Pretty decent episode. I usually don't like the "it is a simulation" thing, so the first parts were better than the last half. It was just way too clear where it was going. But again, handled in fashion, and good focus on character.

Also, would rather have had them follow up the 18th century dueling thing.

"Hobo clowns are the most scary because they're hungry."

On 19/11/2017 at 9:57 PM, Zathras5 said:

I hate spiders!  ...especially giant mutant ones. :no:

I never used to hate them... Right up until the movie Arachnophobia...