[Official] The Orville

On 11/19/2017 at 3:57 PM, Zathras5 said:

I hate spiders!  ...especially giant mutant ones. :no:

11 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I never used to hate them... Right up until the movie Arachnophobia...

Spiders in movies do not bother me much.  Spiders in video games, get to me depending on the game.  And in person, I hate HATE spiders.  Creepy things.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DocM said:

We have a pet Goliath birdeater, a large tarantula, and she's about 13 in/33 cm across the legs. Wanna meet her? ;)

Only if I can bring a flamethrower! :|

I went to a reptile show with my cousins years ago and one vendor had a bunch of these. Of course the younger one loved the big spiders. I told her in no uncertain terms that if she got one of those she was walking home!

20 hours ago, DocM said:

We have a pet Goliath birdeater, a large tarantula, and she's about 13 in/33 cm across the legs. Wanna meet her? ;)

No thanks,,

Solid episode last night..2d space/lifeforms was weird/interesting.  How did the Orville not destroy the 2d space/life around it (I'm guessing because it is a TV show)? Good humor at the right spots!

• Like 2

Loved Yaphit's spat at the captain over not being promoted "you're so racist!" Which he comes back with "no I have gelatinous(?) friends."

Last episode was very Star Trekish. And, like other entries in the series, pretty even-handed on the cultural commentary.

What was that game called? Latchcum or something? I'm horrible at hearing things right. Gotta try that PB&J thing some time, though.

So this season, not the greatest show ever, but still good to watch. Glad it is getting a season 2, they might tune it up some.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:24 PM, Zagadka said:

What was that game called? Latchcum or something?

Latchcomb according to the Youtube channel

On 09/12/2017 at 4:24 AM, Zagadka said:

Last episode was very Star Trekish. And, like other entries in the series, pretty even-handed on the cultural commentary.

This is why I think The Orville will go for many seasons yet, and STD will not.  It's got that "Classic Trek" feel that Trek fans want and aren't getting from STD.  Seth had a stroke of genius when he hired Braga for an exec producer as his years of experience with REAL Trek is showing quite clearly.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

This is why I think The Orville will go for many seasons yet, and STD will not.  It's got that "Classic Trek" feel that Trek fans want and aren't getting from STD.  Seth had a stroke of genius when he hired Braga for an exec producer as his years of experience with REAL Trek is showing quite clearly.

Considering that STD isn't going with a episodic format, it doesn't have to last for 8 seasons to do its job. In many cases lots of TV shows run for 2-3 seasons more than they should story wise. 

Finally got around to watching this.

Very enjoyable has it has the basics of Star Trek with a bit of real life thrown in. Funny watching people try and deal with ###### hungover which you just don't get in traditional Trek.

Looking forward to Season 2.

• 2 weeks later...

ive given it another shot and im beginning to like it, watched 2nd or 3rd episode i think it was with the brooding on the egg bit, i giggled like a schoolgirl with the butt shot....i know childish but im finding it quite amusing the more i watch.

the script writing is pretty funny, not quite what id expect from Seth, but its good, very good infact. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

watched season 1. dont really like or dislike the show. i wish it was funnier. im a huge fan of seth macfarlane, but i dont think i'll be going back for season 2.

• 6 months later...
54 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

40244731_719556801721194_5162720031762546688_n.jpg

That's probably how Paramount feels, too. Must stink to have the guy best known for Family Guy create a better Star Trek series than the official one! ?

4 hours ago, DConnell said:

That's probably how Paramount feels, too. Must stink to have the guy best known for Family Guy create a better Star Trek series than the official one! ?

We can reserve judgment on that until the one with Patrick Stewart comes out.  But yeah, Star Trek Discovery could have just as well been a scifi series by another name.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, DConnell said:

They have no one to blame but themselves. They should have just done what the fans wanted from the start, and gone back to the prime timeline instead of all this prequel crap that no one asked for, and no one wants.

5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

They have no one to blame but themselves. They should have just done what the fans wanted from the start, and gone back to the prime timeline instead of all this prequel crap that no one asked for, and no one wants.

Prequels are fine but Discovery changed the feel of ST.  Previous series, there was a main seasonal plot/story line but was broken up by other instances and adventures.  Discovery just focuses on one thing/plot.  Best if it was just a movie and leave it at that.  The Orville has the same feel to it that ST fans like.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

It was a good character driven episode, what are people expecting? Space battles and monsters every week?

True, but for a season opener a little more excitement would've be nice. That was more of a mid season episode.

• Like 2