[Official] The Orville

It was a better ep than the one before, interesting plot for sure though nothing new in the scifi space.   The comedy was a step up for sure and the best for season 2 so far.

5 hours ago, George P said:

The comedy was a step up for sure and the best for season 2 so far.

The comedy was well balanced with the main plot although I don't think the Bortus mustache thing needed to go on as long as it did & I could actually do with an episode without Bortus in it.

I enjoyed it, but can we please have a story that's not a redo of a TNG episode?  This was essentially the same as the season 4 TNG ep "In Theory" where Data has a girlfriend.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:10 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

but can we please have a story that's not a redo of a TNG episode? 

No chance.

It's happened before in the first season too.

And, actually, I like seeing Seth giving his own spin on some of the familiar themes from Star Trek.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:10 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

I enjoyed it, but can we please have a story that's not a redo of a TNG episode?  This was essentially the same as the season 4 TNG ep "In Theory" where Data has a girlfriend.

This happens in a lot of shows where similar events/plots are redone over and over.  Original content is getting rare these days.  More often than not, I can tell what is going to happen soon after I start watching a show or movie. 

Personally, I didn't care much for last weeks episode.   Cheesy at times and just blah.  Funnies part was at the end when Isaac was trying to breakup with the Dr.   I also do not like the Isaac charter much nor Bortus.   Data/Worf copy cat wanna bes.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:15 AM, George P said:

It was a better ep than the one before, interesting plot for sure though nothing new in the scifi space.   The comedy was a step up for sure and the best for season 2 so far.

I actually liked the previous episode better. 

I dunno, I love Isaac quite a bit. I feel like he's (is he a he or an...it?) a decent take on the Data type of character, he just needs some more development imo Bortus is literally Worf, just kinda dumber (but not dumb if you know what I mean) with tons of backstory and what not. I feel like he's also a fun character but just needs some different storylines going forward.

5 hours ago, LOC said:

Bortus is literally Worf, just kinda dumber (but not dumb if you know what I mean) with tons of backstory and what not.

Blander might be a better a better option

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

Isaac is the poor mans android IMO.   Maybe the character didn't look so cheap.  And yes, I know it is a TV show.

Can't be too fancy with the budget for a scifi show on Fox of all networks, you know how fast they like to kill their shows.

5 hours ago, techbeck said:

Isaac is the poor mans android IMO.   Maybe the character didn't look so cheap.  And yes, I know it is a TV show.

Maybe Seth saw how Data visibly aged and decided to go another route, or maybe it was just purely so that they could do the Mr Potato Head scene, idk but it doesn't bother me.

7 hours ago, techbeck said:

An android (as noted numerous times in TNG) is built to resemble a humanoid. Issac is part of a completely manufactured race who consider themselves better than humanoids

• Like 2

8 hours ago, George P said:

Can't be too fancy with the budget for a scifi show on Fox of all networks, you know how fast they like to kill their shows.

They go all out with other characters.  Looks to me they didn't know how to develop this character and this is what they came up with.

2 hours ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

An android (as noted numerous times in TNG) is built to resemble a humanoid. Issac is part of a completely manufactured race who consider themselves better than humanoids

Yes, I got that but still my point holds.  Looks like a cheap Data and they could have done more with the costume IMO.  If they consider themselves better than humanoids, does not look it.  I know it is not the same character as TNG, but again...could have done more IMO.

5 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Maybe Seth saw how Data visibly aged and decided to go another route, or maybe it was just purely so that they could do the Mr Potato Head scene, idk but it doesn't bother me.

That was funny...and the scene where he cut off Gordon's leg was funny as well.  I dunno, the last episode just made me dislike the character even more than I was.  But just MO on the subject.

I rather enjoyed the last episode. I'm getting kinda tired of all the Maclen (sp) story lines also - but this one was really well done. I like how they are literally Star Trek'ing current social topics like TOS and TNG did especially. And they usually tone down the comedy for this serious stuff, which is the right move. I also thought the new security officer (I keep forgetting her name lol) did really well in this one, so I'm glad she's getting screen time and not just written off as a secondary character since she came on the ship. Looking forward to next week's episode :)

I thought both were quite good. Orville doesn't have years of canon they have to make people happy about, so they can just do whatever and it works in context of the show that week. Discovery literally won't be able to make everyone happy and I've come to accept that since its basically the same situation as Enterprise at this point.

6 hours ago, LOC said:

Orville doesn't have years of canon they have to make people happy about, so they can just do whatever and it works in context of the show that week.

When does Discovery even attempt that? Given every man and his dog is aware of Section 31 in this weeks episode, who when first introduced Starfleet would not even acknowledge the existence of. The Discovery writers are doing "whatever"?

2 hours ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

When does Discovery even attempt that? Given every man and his dog is aware of Section 31 in this weeks episode, who when first introduced Starfleet would not even acknowledge the existence of. The Discovery writers are doing "whatever"?

That's what I mean though - Orville can get away with whatever because they are a new show with no lore yet to speak of more or less. Discovery, whether you agree with the canon they are going with (or messing with depending on how you look at it of course) is more a hindrance to them than anything else (maybe some wooden acting from time to time also) and it seems no matter what they do, no one will be happy. New fans will be confused to hell, old die hard Trekkies like me and the rest of us will either be alright with it or become an angry mob with pitchforks and torches. And as for Section 31, it has barely been touched on in any form (books might flesh them out but they aren't canon) from DS9 to Enterprise. We barely know anything about how they truly operate and do things. As mentioned previously, perhaps something happens between Discovery's era and DS9 to make them the shadowy black ops presented there.

50 minutes ago, LOC said:

perhaps something happens between Discovery's era and DS9 to make them the shadowy black ops presented there.

They were presented in the same way during Enterprise however