Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

OK I am sure you all saw the final episode of season 1. Can someone please tell me just WTH just happened there? 😆 

I’m a little disappointed with the finale.  I don’t think it’s believable that romulan fleet would just turn back so easily after hundreds of years of believing something. 

i would have liked to have seen that advanced AI in the portal come through, but if they’re watching and so powerful why did they need to be invited in and need the portal to stay open. I mean, say they did successfully destroy the transmitter, would they just say “well guess they don’t need our help”..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DramaInc said:

I’m a little disappointed with the finale.  I don’t think it’s believable that romulan fleet would just turn back so easily after hundreds of years of believing something. 

i would have liked to have seen that advanced AI in the portal come through, but if they’re watching and so powerful why did they need to be invited in and need the portal to stay open. I mean, say they did successfully destroy the transmitter, would they just say “well guess they don’t need our help”..

The finale was confusing and now that Picard is basically a synthetic, now what?

2 hours ago, DramaInc said:

First point: They almost didn't, they were going to engage Starfleet's ships until the transmitter was powered down and it seemed obvious they were outgunned as well.  

Second point: Remember the sphere builders from Enterprise? They needed help from our side in order for them to come through, what I saw from the episode looked almost exactly the same or at least the same idea.

• Like 1

Personally, I thought that finale was utterly glorious.  If you watch sci-fi to pick holes in plots then that's fine - I watched it for enjoyment and absolutely was not disappointed.

Comments like "Can someone please tell me just WTH just happened there?" and "The finale was confusing" - it really wasn't hard to follow.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Going easy on this one (as opposed to binge watching).  Just watched E07 last night - by far the worst episode of the season - and absolutely hated it as it was too soapy and cheesy for my taste.

Glad to know you guys liked the finale. My faith has been restored.

every episode i watch i feel like I've missed two before it . I'm not saying i can't follow, it's not complicated at all ... but it's just so badly paced with no proper development 

So, if I understood what they told Picard,

he is not really a 'synth' in the sense that he has any extra powers, etc, but they simply transferred his mind into a new body that will still die based on the estimated live he had left prior to this brain issue.

Did I miss anything?

• Like 1

I didn't have any real big issue with the way it wrapped up things.  Only thing I didn't really like was the "magic tool that just does whatever you think in your head"

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So, if I understood what they told Picard,

Hide contents

he is not really a 'synth' in the sense that he has any extra powers, etc, but they simply transferred his mind into a new body that will still die based on the estimated live he had left prior to this brain issue.

Did I miss anything?

Nope, that's spot on. Basically it's a McGuffin to do away with his brain abnormality.

• Thanks 1

Was a predictable ending with the synths/big baddie. Wrapped up a little fast to me. Glad we got some Data closure, how it was handled in Nemesis was terrible. Hope we hear more about the omnipotent androids, have a feeling it's control based. 

Having Picard as a synth initially was off putting, really cheapened his death, and he did die. The synth is a clone. Not Picard. They specifically said they mapped an image of his brain and overlaid it on. Would have preferred them using terms like transferred or moved as opposed to copied.

Happy Seven got back on track. All in all a solid series.season, slow burn and then a too fast ending. B+.

Overall I loved the season.

Spoiler

Even though I kinda wished that Data would have been resurrected, but I knew the gollum was for Picard.  Brent Spiner is officially done playing the character, https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/star-trek-picards-brent-spiner-play-data/

I’m hoping that whatever was coming through the portal is going to be a repeat of the Borg and decide to find a way to the Alpha quadrant.

10 minutes ago, primortal said:

Overall I loved the season.

Hide contents

Even though I kinda wished that Data would have been resurrected, but I knew the gollum was for Picard.  Brent Spiner is officially done playing the character, https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/star-trek-picards-brent-spiner-play-data/

I’m hoping that whatever was coming through the portal is going to be a repeat of the Borg and decide to find a way to the Alpha quadrant.

Spoiler

Never really stated how the borg was created.  Glad they put closed the loop on what happened after Nemesis, but hoping fora Borg origin story.

8 minutes ago, techbeck said:
  Hide contents

Never really stated how the borg was created.  Glad they put closed the loop on what happened after Nemesis, but hoping fora Borg origin story.

I always wanted them to tie V’Ger to the Borg.  After Decker merged with Ilia, the “human condition” tainted the machine planet resulted in the creation of the Borg.

I think that Discovery might pave the way to the creation of the Borg.

17 hours ago, Nogib said:

I didn't have any real big issue with the way it wrapped up things.  Only thing I didn't really like was the "magic tool that just does whatever you think in your head"

That was it's biggest issue - a complete deus ex machina and was just poor writing!

1 hour ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Something I wanna discuss/clarify in the finale (because I'm a nerd lmao) ...

Was under the impression they were Odyssey class 😮 

6 hours ago, Human.Online said:

That was it's biggest issue - a complete deus ex machina and was just poor writing!

They could have used the Borg ship as fodder against the Romulans instead of inserting a macguffin to pull off a duplicating ship illusion. It was there the whole time and the writers overlooked it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpqf said:

They could have used the Borg ship as fodder against the Romulans instead of inserting a macguffin to pull off a duplicating ship illusion. It was there the whole time and the writers overlooked it.

I was wondering if the hanmdheld-doodad could be asymlilated by the bube to use the tech to repair itself

4 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Something I wanna discuss/clarify in the finale (because I'm a nerd lmao) ....

One had a very BSG looking hull to it's saucer section

I feel that there's clearly more Borg stuff to happen.  The XB who kept looking at JL and calling him Locutus.  That plot point went nowhere, and I don't feel that that sort of thing was going to be a loose end.

2 hours ago, Human.Online said:

I was wondering if the hanmdheld-doodad could be asymlilated by the bube to use the tech to repair itself

I think the Borg ship shouldn't have been crashed in the first place. It's been well established that one Borg ship is a colossal power against any races fleet of starships. The Artifact is a half broken ship so that gives the writers leeway to gimp the power level as they see fit. It's still kind of silly that the flower things could take down the Artifact but I digress. It could have been left in orbit and the story doesn't play out much different. The Romulans show up. The cube is just powerful enough to buy time. The Romulans cause enough damage to the cube to result in crashing to the planet. Same end result without having to use a deus ex machina device. 

• Like 1

Well on the bright side of things, we learned Picard is 94 years old, which means, he was 74 when the events of Nemesis took place.

If Leonard McCoy is anything to go by (last seen at age 137 in TNG) Picard's natural lifespan should last another 40 years. 😄 Not sure if Patrick has the energy for that, although he is only 14 years behind his character and still going strong.

• Like 1