Tesla Cybertruck

187,000 pre-orders so far (Sunday, Nov 24)

It's a friggin post-apocalyptic tank

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Rear-3-4-in-Motion.thumb.jpg.0114074274a044aa43814fbdeeb52877.jpg

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-in-Motion-on-Road-Course-2.thumb.jpg.53c93f6be3b183d8e06f0e1bfde547e7.jpg

Availability: 2021, 2022 (depends on version)

1 motor 2WD: $39,900 (250+ mile range, 7,500 lb tow)

2 motor AWD: $49,900 300+ mile range, 10,000 lb tow)

3 motor AWD: $69,900 (500+ mile range, 14,000 lb tow)

Battery:  1 or 2 layer stacked lithium ion

Charging: up to 250 kWh

(Tesla's batteries will iterate at least 1 generation before Cybertruck ships)

Body: 4 door supercab truck

Seating: 5-6

Frunk (front trunk)

LED light bar at body apex

Length: 231.7" (5.885m)

Width: 79.8" (2.027m)

Height: 75" (1.905m)

Bed: 6.5 feet (2m) x 57" (1.448m)

Under-bed storage locker

120/220 VAC power outlets

Air compressor 

Loading ramp deploys from the tail gate

Integrated tonneau cover

Option: tonneau solar array charging

Suspension: air adjustable/leveling

Wheels: 37" 

Ground clearance: 16" (0.406m)

Approach angle: 35°

Departure angle: 28°

Construction: 3mm thick triangular unibody using SpaceX's custom 30X cold-rolled stainless steel alloy. 

tesla-cybertruck-bed-cover.gif

1610970133_Cubertrucklightbar800.thumb.jpg.8c7aa3b56072672659a94435f66074ca.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-22-00-51-03.thumb.jpeg.16ae42f92272820ecd14a56595180534.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-11-22-00-58-30.thumb.jpeg.4869bffb13516ef4f9837292cfb9df98.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-11-22-00-54-09.thumb.jpeg.88c3f91249edca5ffc72c5f21ec70008.jpeg

Edited by DocM

200,000 reservations in the first 72 hours, and 

It's the same cryogenically hardened stainless as used on the SpaceX Starship spacecraft, which means treated at about −185 °C (−301 °F). 

Not a fan of the design. I love the way my F150 looks. I like squared and big.. but this goes a bit too far.

Also, quite curious to see how it performs in winter driving conditions especially where I live.  You pretty much HAVE to get a 4x4 truck here just due to the snow/ice.  If I don't put my truck in 4x4 I am not going anywhere.

If the Cybertruck performs the same then you are pretty much forced to buy the 4wd version.  I definitely like the concept of a Tesla Truck, though I wish it stuck to the standard truck design more.

^ For those wondering about @firey's driving conditions, just watch Highway Thru Hell and for Ontario watch Heavy Rescue 401.

Tesla's battery conditioning system is set up to work well in cold climates, set up to pre-warm or cool the cells as needed. Tested in an Alaskan cold weather testing facility also used by the US military.  They've also used an auto test site near Baudette, Minnesota - one of the coldest places in the lower 48.

Our grandson thinks it's a Batmobile candidate 

>250,000 pre-orders as of yesterday.

😁

For non-tweeters

IMG_20191128_163734.thumb.jpg.d351c1c39706ab41b6d0430c764ba8e9.jpg

Edited by DocM

4 minutes ago, Peresvet said:

I support the innovation, but let's be real and honest.

For $50-70K, I'd rather buy a BMW X5 or an Audi Q7.

It's obviously not targeting your demographic if those are the cars you're saying you would rather get. 

21 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

It's obviously not targeting your demographic if those are the cars you're saying you would rather get. 

If you say so.

Tesla must be targeting Potiac Aztek's demographic group because of its immense success....Oh, wait.

• Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, Peresvet said:

If you say so.

Tesla must be targeting Potiac Aztek's demographic group because of its immense success....Oh, wait.

No, just flatbed trucks/utes/utility vehicles, not soccer mum cars like the BMW/Audi.

• Like 3

On 11/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, DocM said:

That's what happens when a vehicle can lay down 1,000 lb-f (1,356 N-m) of torque from 0 RPM.

I'm not one to hate on Tesla like some other guys I've seen on this site, but that video was kinda bogus. Why only rear wheel drive? What were the configs of each?

None of it means anything otherwise. What will matter is apples to apples, between cost to performance you actually get. If they're using a high-end model of Cybertruck for example, then I really don't care if it can pull an F150 if the cost is twice that. If we're talking about $70k models for example, then let's look at what $70k gets you from both companies... which you're probably looking at an F350 or F450 at that point.

Also curious as to what they're doing regarding rear-view mirrors, as it seemed odd to not have them by design yet...

1 hour ago, Peresvet said:

I support the innovation, but let's be real and honest.

For $50-70K, I'd rather buy a BMW X5 or an Audi Q7.

or GLE.   However, this is a flatbed TRUCK.  Not an SUV!   If you are shopping for Q7 - drive Tesla model X instead - this is the competition.

i actually like the truck design, but I was into cyberpunk for years. CD Projekt should it this vehicle to the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077  😂  would be awesome to see Keanu Reeves drive this!!!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, dead.cell said:

I'm not one to hate on Tesla like some other guys I've seen on this site, but that video was kinda bogus. Why only rear wheel drive? What were the configs of each?

None of it means anything otherwise. What will matter is apples to apples, between cost to performance you actually get.

It's mostly who is heaviest and has the largest tire contact patch area under sufficient power.

This was a mid-level Cybertruck running 35/12.5 skins, almost 800 lb-f of torque, and massing over 6,000 lbs.

If they're using a high-end model of Cybertruck for example, 

This was the mid-model; 2-motors, AWD, almost 800 lb-f of torque (from 0 RPM.)

The high end model uses the 3-motor AWD, which with the coming Plaid* upgrade will deliver about 1,000 lb-f (from 0 RPM.)

* Spaceballs reference, beyond Tesla's  'Ludicrous' power mode

then I really don't care if it can pull an F150 if the cost is twice that. If we're talking about $70k models for example, then let's look at what $70k gets you from both companies... which you're probably looking at an F350 or F450 at that point.

The mid-model 2-motor that spanked the F-150 is a friggin' monster at $49,990.

It also has off road features you'd normally pay extra for.

Also curious as to what they're doing regarding rear-view mirrors, as it seemed odd to not have them by design yet...

NHTSA is re-evaluating the use of video "mirrors" after petitions by an international group of automakers and Tesla. Europe and Asia are headed in that direction, so...

Cybertruck already feeds a rear-view  camera to a video "mirror" in the usual windshield location. This for when payload or the tonneau blocks the view.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

It's cut using a laser or water jet, then folded by scoring the reverse side (laser). Then they use a brake to bend it, leaving a slight radius at the good-side, not a sharp edge. Origami in steel.

7 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

No, just flatbed trucks/utes/utility vehicles, not soccer mum cars like the BMW/Audi.

Soccer moms in the midwestern US  drive SUV's and pickups. Those are the most popular vehicle segments. Ford is adding an electric crossover SUV to the Mustang stable.

11 hours ago, dead.cell said:

None of it means anything otherwise. What will matter is apples to apples, between cost to performance you actually get. If they're using a high-end model of Cybertruck for example, then I really don't care if it can pull an F150 if the cost is twice that. If we're talking about $70k models for example, then let's look at what $70k gets you from both companies... which you're probably looking at an F350 or F450 at that point.

It was a pointless video.  I mean ... this was all about traction ... the Tesla is heavier and AWD while the F-150 was 2x4 and has most of its weight up front (not over the rear tires).  That video had nothing to do with torque or whatever ... 

I am curious why they didn't opt to use a 4x4 F-150 ... surely all four tires smoking would have made for better theatrics?  hmmm

With respect to the Tesla truck ... don't know if my opinion about any vehicle has wildly swung like a pendulum ... at first I disliked it ... then I kinda liked it ... after seeing some videos of it on the road I'm back to not liking it (the looks).  Might look good with a matte black paint job...