Tesla Cybertruck

On 03/12/2023 at 09:36, primortal said:

So this is Musk’s Delorean?  Does it come with a Flux Capacitor or is that extra?

Is the Flux Capacitor bullet proof?

On 03/12/2023 at 02:08, adrynalyne said:

, you don't go shooting up a vehicle unless you know  it is bullet proof. 

They gained that knowledge when somebody decided to shoot a 9 mm at a piece of Starship steel.

Putting a piece of metal behind a target is a thing, the Starships are built in Texas, and one of the properties they purchased at Boca Chica (AKA Starbase) was Massey's gun range, but above all the metal has the properties they needed to make Cybertruck capable of off-roading. 

On 03/12/2023 at 22:18, DocM said:

They gained that knowledge when somebody decided to shoot a 9 mm at a piece of Starship steel.

Putting a piece of metal behind a target is a thing, the Starships are built in Texas, and one of the properties they purchased at Boca Chica (AKA Starbase) was Massey's gun range, but above all the metal has the properties they needed to make Cybertruck capable of off-roading. 

You have proven my point. 

On 04/12/2023 at 01:24, adrynalyne said:

You have proven my point. 

Only from your point of view. The choice of the strongest stainless steel was for safety reasons, it's what they do. When the model S was made and tested for roof crush do you think they intentionally made it to break the machine (which it did)? 

Earlier I mentioned the IDRA (Italy) Giga Press for casting frame halves.

Recently Ford, Hyundai, and Toyota have announced that they are pursuing this technology.

Giga Press is currently in use on Model Y and Cybertruck for front and rear frame segments, 6000 and 9000 metric ton clamping force machines respectively. Their next generation of vehicles will use a 12,000 metric ton unit to cast a frame in a single piece.

The battery is structural and goes between frame halves or becomes the floor of a single piece frame. 

This video is a little dated, but better than most...

Model Y casting halves with a structural battery

tesla_model_y_structural_battery_0.thumb.jpg.dcab064c6d74b7287ef80e962cc68a27.jpg

On 04/12/2023 at 01:01, DocM said:

Only from your point of view. The choice of the strongest stainless steel was for safety reasons, it's what they do. When the model S was made and tested for roof crush do you think they intentionally made it to break the machine (which it did)? 

Earlier I mentioned the IDRA (Italy) Giga Press for casting frame halves.

Recently Ford, Hyundai, and Toyota have announced that they are pursuing this technology.

Giga Press is currently in use on Model Y and Cybertruck for front and rear frame segments, 6000 and 9000 metric ton clamping force machines respectively. Their next generation of vehicles will use a 12,000 metric ton unit to cast a frame in a single piece.

The battery is structural and goes between frame halves or becomes the floor of a single piece frame. 

This video is a little dated, but better than most...

Model Y casting halves with a structural battery

tesla_model_y_structural_battery_0.thumb.jpg.dcab064c6d74b7287ef80e962cc68a27.jpg

It’s the only point I have been discussing from, so yeah. 

On 02/12/2023 at 19:02, adrynalyne said:

Thats a load of crap. You don't accidently make something bullet proof. People don't go around shooting cars as part of their testing process unless it was intentionally bullet proof.

No, it's absolutely true.

They literally stated this.  It's not completely bulletproof, but its an unintended property of the metal that was designed.

It's just where people's minds go when they see a huge metal car.  They're used to plastic honda's, not tanks.  So as such, the question is always raised.  

It sounds to me like they over-engineered the chassis and maybe should have looked at ways to reduce the cost by using a different material.  Using stainless steel designed for a rocket is pretty overkill, and having the production price being almost twice the initial estimate doesn't look good.
They're late to the game and the entry price is $10,000 above the F-150 Lightning.

It's too expensive and stands out too much.  Every kid in the neighborhood is going to perform flying karate kicks on it to "test" its strength.

On 04/12/2023 at 08:44, mram said:

They literally stated this.  It's not completely bulletproof, but its an unintended property of the metal that was designed.

It's just where people's minds go when they see a huge metal car.  They're used to plastic honda's, not tanks.  So as such, the question is always raised.  

No, its not, regardless of what they stated.

They chose the material KNOWING it was bullet proof then used that "feature" to market it further. Which is fine, but come on, that was not unintended. Unintended is when you smash an "un-smashable" window during a demonstration.

From the head on crash test, I think I would feel more alive afterwards in that plastic Honda.

Edited by adrynalyne

On 04/12/2023 at 08:49, adrynalyne said:

No, its not, regardless of what they stated.

They chose the material KNOWING it was bullet proof then used that "feature" to market it further.

They didn't choose the material, they designed it.  it wasn't like a color wheel at Home Depot.  It's a structural support exoskeleton frame that was created, something not done typically with consumer vehicles.

It is incidental that it has other properties.  It has to be strong for its designed purpose.  It might be strong enough for other purposes.  This is for funsies.  That's kind of what Tesla has been known for.

First 45 seconds from the Tesla engineer: "Obviously we didn't design it to be bulletproof, but if it works out..."

Lets see what it is like in the real world, not the favorable paces that all car companies showcase. Personally, I still think it is fugly.

I would not want to test how well it takes a shot in the real world.

On 04/12/2023 at 10:44, mram said:

Not to mention people who try to shoot up junkers, law enforcement agencies who test tactical ammunition against vehicles to see if they'll go through the bodies and window glass (often the answer is no - laminated glass is very tough), etc. 

Sometimes manufacturers will put vehicles through torture testing which includes guns, Tesla has a orders for Cybertruck from police agencies, including Latin America. Even corporate security is looking at it, one example being Oracle.

Edited by DocM

On 04/12/2023 at 22:29, DocM said:

Not to mention people who try to shoot up junkers, law enforcement agencies who test tactical ammunition against vehicles to see if they'll go through the bodies and window glass (often the answer is no - laminated glass is very tough), etc. 

Sometimes manufacturers will put vehicles through torture testing which includes guns, Tesla has a orders for Cybertruck from police agencies, including Latin America. Even corporate security is looking at it, one example being Oracle.

Looking forward to when NHTSA adds "shooting vehicles" that part of their safety testing. /s

On 05/12/2023 at 08:16, Warwagon said:

People either HATE  the Cybertruck or LOVE the Cybertruck. I'm on the LOVE side. If I was rich i'd buy one!

It's meh. Would rather have an F150 Lightning or Rivian if I was in the market for an EV truck..

On 05/12/2023 at 08:47, primortal said:

Looking forward to when NHTSA adds "shooting vehicles" that part of their safety testing. /s

Automakers which make police vehicles do destructive testing - often in conjunction with police agencies. Some of the most grueling tests are done by the Michigan State Police.  FBI does a lot of tactical ammunition tests, determining which penetrate laminated glass and other barriers the best.

Top Gear does Cybertruck

On 05/12/2023 at 11:00, tsupersonic said:

It's meh. Would rather have an F150 Lightning or Rivian if I was in the market for an EV truck..

I go for the one with a more HIGHEST SPEC 240v utility power/bidirectional charging F-150 Lightning is 9.6 KW, Cybertruck is 11.5 KW. I also like the under the bed tool box, fold down back seats, and steel power tonneau cover. 

On 05/12/2023 at 09:02, DocM said:

Automakers which make police vehicles do destructive testing - often in conjunction with police agencies. Some of the most grueling tests are done by the Michigan State Police.  FBI does a lot of tactical ammunition tests, determining which penetrate laminated glass and other barriers the best.

Top Gear does Cybertruck

I'm sure we will see these as police vehicles any day now.

On 05/12/2023 at 12:43, adrynalyne said:

I'm sure we will see these as police vehicles any day now.

LEOs have ordered it, and last September Larry Ellison announced Oracle's public safety division has ported their LEO software to Cybertruck. It's already deployed in other Teslas.

On 06/12/2023 at 17:33, DocM said:

There were hints something like this was coming.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-michigan-speech-autoworkers-electric-boat-rant-1234833784/

But trump told us EV's and water combined would get us killed.  This was only a couple months ago too.

Are you saying he's wrong?

• Haha 2

On 07/12/2023 at 10:03, DeathLace said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-michigan-speech-autoworkers-electric-boat-rant-1234833784/

But trump told us EV's and water combined would get us killed.  This was only a couple months ago too.

Are you saying he's wrong?

I'll take ectrocution over sharks any day

On 12/12/2023 at 11:30, primortal said:

Checked around and it sounds like it had a pre-release software version which affected the all-wheel drive. Fixed.

Meanwhile, Ford has cut in half their production of the F-150 Lightning. One factor may be customers made  Lightning orders as a hedge against their Cybertruck order. Other possibilities are  that Cybertruck has a larger bed, and more power from its bi-directional 240vac socket.