Tesla Cybertruck

15 hours ago, Peresvet said:

I support the innovation, but let's be real and honest.

For $50-70K, I'd rather buy a BMW X5 or an Audi Q7.

See, for 70K I'd rather buy an F150 Lariat or Raptor.  

On 11/27/2019 at 9:46 AM, Circaflex said:

All the technology in the world could be packed into that vehicle, but I wouldn't drive it. That "truck," is ugly.

I agree it's is a radical look much like the Hummer H1 was when it hit the streets. I've since come around on the look of the Tesla Cybertruck. Don't ask me how that happened.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jim K said:

It was a pointless video.  I mean ... this was all about traction ... the Tesla is heavier and AWD while the F-150 was 2x4 and has most of its weight up front (not over the rear tires).  That video had nothing to do with torque or whatever ... 

I am curious why they didn't opt to use a 4x4 F-150 ... surely all four tires smoking would have made for better theatrics?  hmmm

With respect to the Tesla truck ... don't know if my opinion about any vehicle has wildly swung like a pendulum ... at first I disliked it ... then I kinda liked it ... after seeing some videos of it on the road I'm back to not liking it (the looks).  Might look good with a matte black paint job...

Since Ford backed out of their challenge,  it sounds like Tesla's re-runing the test next week with a more appropriate matchup. 

https://electrek.co/2019/11/29/tesla-cybertruck-becomes-underdog-ford-f150-tug-of-war-challenge/

>

Musk agreed to a rematch and even agreed to bring Ford onboard after an executive from the automaker, Sunny Madra, challenged Tesla to a fairer tug-of-war between the F-150 and the Cybertruck.

However, we later learned that Ford was backing out of the challenge and called the first one “absurd.”

Nonetheless, Tesla apparently plans to move forward with a rematch that would be fairer to the Ford F-150 pickup truck next week.

>

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DocM said:

Since Ford backed out of their challenge,  it sounds like Tesla's re-runing the test next week with a more appropriate matchup. 

https://electrek.co/2019/11/29/tesla-cybertruck-becomes-underdog-ford-f150-tug-of-war-challenge/

... doesn't change the fact that the first video was pointless and not at all about torque.  I don't get all googly-eyed over dumb things like this (same with the electric F-150 pulling a 1M pound train)...it's just stupid.  Tesla pitting an AWD vehicle against a 2-wheel drive vehicle wasn't fair ... and they knew it.

The "rematch" is pointless as well ... especially if they don't at least opt for the F-250 4x4 (which puts it around the same weight/price category ... and the 250 can tow up to 15k pounds).  Though, in the end it isn't a "real-world" test....well, maybe if you live in Alabama or Mississippi...LOL. 

It should be ...  how much can a haul and/or tow ... and how far.  I see the default ranges on the Tesla ... what are they under load? 

• Like 3

I think a flat black with some mods  could be a Batmobile, and with those planar surfaces it's begging for a wrap job.

Someone proposed camo wraps. Just put a phased plasma cannon in the back and you're ready for John Connor's orders. Those 35/12.5 skins should be just right...

8a789ccd3b7851329e91287a7ce77572c8a03539f0ac9d3eaa0b427550593a0f.thumb.jpg.57edf9f563d57b9ca8b3a95dcc73d50f.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:42 AM, HoochieMamma said:

No, just flatbed trucks/utes/utility vehicles, not soccer mum cars like the BMW/Audi.

A soccer mum car that does 0-60mph in 5 sec. Sure, sure.

I suppose Porsche Cayenne is a soccer mum car too.

Heck, how about Lamborghini Urus or Bentley Bentayga, or Rolls Royce Cullinan while we're at it - are these soccer mum cars too in your opinion? I'm genuinely curious.

10 hours ago, firey said:

See, for 70K I'd rather buy an F150 Lariat or Raptor.  

If I needed a truck, as in actually use it for what it's been designed for, then "a normal" F150 or Dodge RAM loaded with options and costing $45-50 would suffice.

For $70K I'd want a luxury SUV and no amount of options would make F150 come even close to X5 or Q7 when it comes to comfort, safety, performance, and handling.

5 hours ago, Peresvet said:

A soccer mum car that does 0-60mph in 5 sec. Sure, sure.

I suppose Porsche Cayenne is a soccer mum car too.

Heck, how about Lamborghini Urus or Bentley Bentayga, or Rolls Royce Cullinan while we're at it - are these soccer mum cars too in your opinion? I'm genuinely curious.

Depends on where you live but I've seen cayennes at sporting fields here in the richer areas of Melbourne for sure.

Yes, definitely. SUV = Soccer mum cars. They are for wives/mother's to pickup their kids from school and sports. Not for off road or work like the cybertruck is geared towards same as trucks/pickups/utes.

25 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

Not for off road or work like the cybertruck is geared towards same as trucks/pickups/utes.

When you say off-road, what kind of conditions do you talk about? Can you be a little more specific please?

And what exactly do you think sets trucks and pickups apart from SUVs when it comes to their off-road capabilities?

17 hours ago, Jim K said:

... doesn't change the fact that the first video was pointless and not at all about torque.  I don't get all googly-eyed over dumb things like this (same with the electric F-150 pulling a 1M pound train)...it's just stupid.  Tesla pitting an AWD vehicle against a 2-wheel drive vehicle wasn't fair ... and they knew it.

The "rematch" is pointless as well ... especially if they don't at least opt for the F-250 4x4 (which puts it around the same weight/price category ... and the 250 can tow up to 15k pounds).  Though, in the end it isn't a "real-world" test....well, maybe if you live in Alabama or Mississippi...LOL. 

It should be ...  how much can a haul and/or tow ... and how far.  I see the default ranges on the Tesla ... what are they under load? 

Some info about the video - 

Why Tesla's Cybertruck Tug-of-War Against a Ford F-150 Proves Nothing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/why-teslas-cybertruck-tug-of-war-against-a-ford-f-150-proves-nothing/ar-BBXnkEZ

21 hours ago, DocM said:

$39,990 (1-motor 2WD) and $49,990 (2-motor AWD) are also options.

Just sayin'

Living in Alberta the 50k (usd) version would be the required one due to the weather we get.  Convert that 50k to CAD and you are looking at ~66K Cad.

22 hours ago, Peresvet said:

If I needed a truck, as in actually use it for what it's been designed for, then "a normal" F150 or Dodge RAM loaded with options and costing $45-50 would suffice.

For $70K I'd want a luxury SUV and no amount of options would make F150 come even close to X5 or Q7 when it comes to comfort, safety, performance, and handling.

All depends on what you want to drive. I personally would drive a fancy truck over a fancy SUV.  My girlfriend would drive a fancy SUV.

On 11/24/2019 at 4:51 PM, DocM said:

It's a friggin post-apocalyptic tank

On 11/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, virtorio said:

Looks like something from a low budget futuristic sci-fi movie from the 80's. So I like it. 

Looks like a design NASA would create for a lunar vehicle meant to move payloads, where looks are less of a concern than utility. Not sure I'm a fan of the looks, but that's not the main point. Got to love Elon's attempt to spin the looks as a positive though, with lasers and fireballs.

On the other hand, in some cases, cars these days are becoming overcontoured with all sorts of indents and bevels, and in most cases they're a crutch in the design, because they would look like sh-t if you flattened the surfaces.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, Peresvet said:

When you say off-road, what kind of conditions do you talk about? Can you be a little more specific please?

And what exactly do you think sets trucks and pickups apart from SUVs when it comes to their off-road capabilities?

I don't get why you don't understand this, off road = not standard city roads like all SUVs are geared towards.

Go bring a Cayenne out to the the woods, see how far you get.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2019 at 3:04 AM, Peresvet said:

Off-roads; traveling on fire trails to hunting/fishing areas. There are also off-roading trails where people drive cross-country for fun.  Also off-road rallies and other activities.

First, the numbers; 2018 US/ vehicle sales,

Pickups & vans: 20%

SUV: 48%

Cars & CUV (Crossover SUV): 38%

Difference between an SUV and Crossover SUV?

SUV: a truck with a modernized, and larger, station wagon body.

Crossover: a car with an modernized, and larger, station wagon body.

Either can have 4WD and off-road features, but the trucks are heavier duty.

Uses:  hauling families and "stuff." When we were re-doing the kitchen we hauled everything from cabinets to flooring and wallboard. Then we hauled the debris to be recycled. 

It's sometimes a matter of climate. From roughly Buffalo NY west to the Mountain states we can get buried in snow and ice "regular" cars have difficulty with. Northern MI may get 8+ meter snow accumulations, and after a cold winter it may take months to melt.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

It looks awesome. I'm very glad they decided to actually make the 80's movies future become real life. If I had the money I'd buy one immediately, anyone who hated on it would not be allowed inside of it.

This is the future I want.

1 hour ago, DocM said:

Ford F-350 with a 3,000 lb load,

Should also be noted that the video features a 3rd generation F-350 (that is either a 2011 or a 2012 model).  The 4th generation (2017) came with a new frame, body, etc.

19 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

I don't get why you don't understand this, off road = not standard city roads like all SUVs are geared towards.

Go bring a Cayenne out to the the woods, see how far you get.

Since you haven't answered any of my questions for the second time, I now understand that you know precisely nothing about the off-road capabilities of a vehicle.

And for the record, F150 will be stuck in those woods just the same and not too from Cayenne....or Tesla Cybertruck.

• Facepalm 2

6 hours ago, DocM said:

Difference between an SUV and Crossover SUV?

SUV: a truck with a modernized, and larger, station wagon body.

Crossover: a car with an modernized, and larger, station wagon body.

Either can have 4WD and off-road features, but the trucks are heavier duty.

So the trucks are better at off-road because they have "off-road features" and "are heavier duty".

BRILLIANT!!!

🤣🤣🤣

• Facepalm 3

I honestly cannot be bothered anymore mate.

Go buy your BMW/Q4 Cayenne and rolls royce and go do some 4x4/off road with them and maybe even bring some building supplies to a work site. You'll look like a complete idiot. hahaha

10 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

I honestly cannot be bothered anymore mate.

I'm not your mate.

You'll look like a complete idiot. hahaha

I'll do as I please, thank you very much. And what I may look like to others is never my concern.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Peresvet said:

So the trucks are better at off-road because they have "off-road features" and "are heavier duty".

BRILLIANT!!!

🤣🤣🤣

One last try, staying in the Ford family; Explorer (SUV) and F-150 (Pickup.)

Explorer wheelbase: 119.1"

F-150 wheelbase: 122" - 163″

Explorer track: 66.9"

F-150 track: 67.6" - 73.9″ 

In short, the truck has a larger footprint. Also, for going over obstacles like a ridge,

Explorer

Approach angle: 20.1°

Departure angle: 22°

Break over angle: 17.1° - 17.7°

Clearance: 7.9" - 8.3"

F-150

Approach angle: 24.1° - 25.5°

Departure angle: 23.8° - 26.4°

Break over angle: 18.3° - 21.0°

Clearance: 8.4" - 9.4"

More is usually better for off-road, 

25 minutes ago, DocM said:

snip

You're wasting your time, man. He wants to go bring soccer mum Cayennes out on work sites loaded with concrete and timber and when camping lol. Makes perfect sense to compare the 2.

Might as well bring a micra off road too while we're at it.