Tesla Cybertruck

On 04/12/2023 at 08:55, Astra.Xtreme said:

It's too expensive and stands out too much.  Every kid in the neighborhood is going to perform flying karate kicks on it to "test" its strength.

Nailed it. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Haha 1

On 13/12/2023 at 11:54, primortal said:

On 13/12/2023 at 12:29, adrynalyne said:

https://jalopnik.com/car-crash-experts-question-cybertruck-safety-1851089043

Cybertruck Might Be Dangerous For Everyone: Experts

A lack of crumple zones pushes a lot of the impact directly into its passengers.

Isn't that the point of the Cybertruck? A vehicle for rich a$$hole libertarians that can live the coming post-apocalyptic world now.

"“If you have an argument with another car, you will win,” Elon Musk said..."

On 13/12/2023 at 11:05, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

isn't that the point of the Cybertruck? A vehicle for rich a$$hole libertarians that can be prepared for our coming post-apocalyptic world.

I think the bigger take away here is the truck might win, while the passengers of said truck won’t. 

On 13/12/2023 at 12:05, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Isn't that the point of the Cybertruck? A vehicle for rich a$$hole libertarians that can live the coming post-apocalyptic world now.

Well here in 'Merica, we don't ram into each other with road rage; the guns come out.  So unless the Cybertruck glass is mighty bulletproof, it'll be on the same level as a rusted out Pontiac Grand Am driven by a gang banger.

On 13/12/2023 at 13:06, adrynalyne said:

I think the bigger take away here is the truck might win, while the passengers of said truck won’t. 

A understand that but I think general mentality of lot of people interested in this Cybertruck is "my truck is stronger than your truck so I rule the road".

On 13/12/2023 at 13:11, Astra.Xtreme said:

Well here in 'Merica, we don't ram into each other with road rage; the guns come out.  So unless the Cybertruck glass is mighty bulletproof, it'll be on the same level as a rusted out Pontiac Grand Am driven by a gang banger.

Huh? I have seen many videos of road rage where one car is ramming another car right here in 'Merica. I would say the ones doing the ramming are more likely the one with a gun.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 13/12/2023 at 11:54, primortal said:

FUD

CT: "6,800 pounds"

Only the top of the line Cyberbeast. The all-wheel drive will be 6,600 pounds, and the 2-wheel drive somewhat lighter.

Are these all-time highs? No, they are fairly typical for a Class 2 truck. Let's do some comparing,

- F-150: 5,700 pounds (minus the inevitable extra toys)

- F-250: 7,500 pounds (Class 2, sane as CT)

- RAM 2500: up to 7,224 pounds (again, Class 2)

- GMC Hummer EV: 10,000 pounds

- International CXT: 10,500-14,500 pounds

- Class A RV: 13,000 - 30,000 pounds

Most of these pickup trucks are work trucks, but you also need to consider that much of the middle of the US is Snow Country, with parts of the Great Lakes to rhe Dakotas, mountain states,etc getting 200 to 300+ inches a year. Seeing a pickup with a snow plow this time of year is routine, and sometimes you absolutely need that ground clearance. 

Edited by DocM

On 13/12/2023 at 11:25, DocM said:

FUD

CT: "6,800 pounds"

Only the top of the line Cyberbeast. The all-wheel drive will be 6,600 pounds, and the 2-wheel drive somewhat lighter.

Are these all-time highs? No, they are fairly typical for a Class 2 truck. Let's do some comparing,

- F-150: 5,700 pounds (minus the inevitable extra toys)

- F-250: 7,500 pounds (Class 2, sane as CT)

- RAM 2500: up to 7,224 pounds (again, Class 2)

- GMC Hummer EV: 10,000 pounds

- International CXT: 10,500-14,500 pounds

- Class A RV: 13,000 - 30,000 pounds

Most of these pickup trucks are work trucks, but you also need to consider that much of the middle of the US is Snow Country, with parts of the Great Lakes to rhe Dakotas, mountain states,etc getting 200 to 300+ inches a year. Seeing a pickup with a snow plow this time of year is routine, and sometimes you absolutely need that ground clearance. 

Oh did you mention snow?

Watch A Cybertruck Fail To Negotiate Minor, Snowy Incline, Get Recovered By Ford Super Duty

https://jalopnik.com/ford-f-150-comes-to-the-rescue-after-tesla-cybertruck-g-1851092936

• Haha 2

On 13/12/2023 at 13:37, adrynalyne said:

Oh did you mention snow?

Watch A Cybertruck Fail To Negotiate Minor, Snowy Incline, Get Recovered By Ford Super Duty

https://jalopnik.com/ford-f-150-comes-to-the-rescue-after-tesla-cybertruck-g-1851092936

Covered upthread, and you can usually expect a better discussion out of Motor Trend than Jalopnik

https://www.motortrend.com/news/watch-stuck-tesla-cybertruck-prototype-towed-up-hill-ford-super-duty/

Seeing that this is a "Release Candidate" pre-production model and the video could have been recorded whenever, what's likelier is the software controlling the differential isn't working, or the truck is using the wrong tires, or there's more ice than we think, or more likely it's simply down mostly to driver error.

On 13/12/2023 at 11:56, DocM said:

Covered upthread, and you can usually expect a better discussion out of Motor Trend than Jalopnik

https://www.motortrend.com/news/watch-stuck-tesla-cybertruck-prototype-towed-up-hill-ford-super-duty/

Translation, shop until you find someone saying what you want. At any rate I can tell you didn’t read the jalopnik article because it basically mirrored what motortrend said. 

It’s a video, it doesn’t matter who publishes it. I won’t be surprised to see more of these that aren’t pre-release once more than a few are out there. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 13:13, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

A understand that but I think general mentality of lot of people interested in this Cybertruck is "my truck is stronger than your truck so I rule the road".

Like all big expensive cars, it is more about (small) penis size of the owner than anything else.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2023 at 08:30, primortal said:

I'm not really defending this too much but the car itself can't defend against traction issues.  Any car could be "rescued" from icy conditions when the other car is on solid, non-icy ground.

Even being "prototype" there's only so much one can do on ice and snow.

On 13/12/2023 at 14:22, mram said:

I'm not really defending this too much but the car itself can't defend against traction issues.  Any car could be "rescued" from icy conditions when the other car is on solid, non-icy ground.

Even being "prototype" there's only so much one can do on ice and snow.

I think it’s more about pointing out that the CT simply is not as invincible as Musk wants everyone to think. It’s not a good look when a vehicle touted as having off road abilities gets stuck. Pre-production or not, it was done, and it’s a bad look. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 14:16, DocM said:

Checked around and it sounds like it had a pre-release software version which affected the all-wheel drive. Fixed.

Meanwhile, Ford has cut in half their production of the F-150 Lightning. One factor may be customers made  Lightning orders as a hedge against their Cybertruck order. Other possibilities are  that Cybertruck has a larger bed, and more power from its bi-directional 240vac socket.

But if they do that..... Who will rescue all the cybertrucks?????

• Haha 3

On 13/12/2023 at 16:21, Xenon said:

But if they do that..... Who will rescue all the cybertrucks?????

No worries, their bullet proof nature will solve all the things. 

• Haha 2

On 24/11/2019 at 17:51, DocM said:

187,000 pre-orders so far (Sunday, Nov 24)

It's a friggin post-apocalyptic tank

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Rear-3-4-in-Motion.thumb.jpg.0114074274a044aa43814fbdeeb52877.jpg

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-in-Motion-on-Road-Course-2.thumb.jpg.53c93f6be3b183d8e06f0e1bfde547e7.jpg

Availability: 2021, 2022 (depends on version)

Yeah right!  Here we are 4 years later and still nothing.  Elon Musk is an idiot.  Maybe in 2024 or 2025.  Or NEVER!

• Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 19:23, devHead said:

Yeah right!  Here we are 4 years later and still nothing.  Elon Musk is an idiot.  Maybe in 2024 or 2025.  Or NEVER!

You can't be serious? Production is currently underway and some have been delivered... did you just wake up from a coma or something?

On 13/12/2023 at 19:23, devHead said:

The first line at Austin is up & running and they delivered the first customer vehicles November 30. They expect to produce up to 125,000 in 2024, 200,000 in 2025 (another line being built).  

They're also building a new factory near Monterrey Mexico for a new compact car, 10 million square feet. The Pentagon is 6.5 million. Lots of traffic for  that one, so a dedicated border crossing for Tesla has been built.

On 13/12/2023 at 17:41, PmRd said:

You can't be serious? Production is currently underway and some have been delivered... did you just wake up from a coma or something?

I guess so.  I am assuming while I was out, they didn't deliver any during 2020 or 2021.

On 13/12/2023 at 20:51, devHead said:

I guess so.  I am assuming while I was out, they didn't deliver any during 2020 or 2021.

The average time for a US vehicle to hit production is 72 months (6 years). CT was introduced in November, 2019. 

Considering covid-19, and the problems with implementing new fabrication technologies, the argument could be made CT's early.

Or, there is this saying from SpaceX

"At SpaceX we specialize at converting the impossible to late”

Edited by DocM

On 13/12/2023 at 21:56, Matthew S. said:

Dude, would you just stop sucking on Elon's scrotum already?

How boring, and utterly predictable. I like people who push technology and disrupt industries. Musk is one, but there have been others throughout history. Many of them had  personality and/or mental disorders, learn to live with it.