Tesla Cybertruck

Surprised no one mentioned that the CyberTruck was "released" today.

From the first page of this thread w/ current numbers from Tesla....

Availability: 2021, 2022 (2024, 2025)

1 motor 2WD:  $39,900   ($60,990)
(250+mile range, est 7,500 lb tow) - "Available in 2025"

2 motor AWD: $49,900  ($79,990)
(300+ mile range, 10,000 lb tow) - 340mi range, 11,000 lbs tow

3 motor AWD: $69,900  ($99,990)
(500+ mile range, 14,000 lb tow)  - 320 mile range, 11,000 lbs tow

That price yo.  Also...CT be ugly.

After a 2-year delay, deliveries of Tesla's Cybertruck are scheduled to start Thursday

Tesla plans to begin deliveries of its Cybertruck on Thursday, marking the electric automaker's long-awaited entry into the pickup market.

It's been four years since CEO Elon Musk first revealed the Cybertruck's polarizing, polygonal design and two years since Tesla failed to meet its initial delivery target.

Now, the company says a handful of buyers will get to drive away with the first few trucks at an event in Austin, Texas, set for 3 p.m. ET.

Hundreds of thousands of people have placed $100 refundable deposits on the pickups, the company says, but it's anyone's guess how many of those deposits will translate into real sales — or how many trucks Tesla has actually produced.

//

NPR

On 30/11/2023 at 23:03, Jim K said:

Surprised no one mentioned that the CyberTruck was "released" today.

From the first page of this thread w/ current numbers from Tesla....

That price yo.  Also...CT be ugly.

NPR

Initially he wanted to sue CyberTruck owners for $50k if they sold the vehicle in less than a year.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/11/tesla-deletes-clause-threatening-to-sue-buyers-who-quickly-resell-cybertruck/

On 01/12/2023 at 00:22, primortal said:

Initially he wanted to sue CyberTruck owners for $50k if they sold the vehicle in less than a year.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/11/tesla-deletes-clause-threatening-to-sue-buyers-who-quickly-resell-cybertruck/

That was to prevent people flipping\scalping them, ordering several and selling them at above the posted price. 

It's rather common with very popular concert tickets (see Taylor Swift) and popular cars, and extremely frustrating to perspective buyers. Congress has taken up an investigation to the problem with concert tickets, and they should also do it with other products.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 01:30, DocM said:

That was to prevent people flipping\scalping them, ordering several and selling them at above the posted price. 

It's rather common with very popular concert tickets (see Taylor Swift) and popular cars, and extremely frustrating to perspective buyers. Congress has taken up an investigation to the problem with concert tickets, and they should also do it with other products.

Musk has an inflated perception of how special this is. It’s not like it’s a Ford GT and it’s not the only ev truck on the market.

People also purchase vehicles and sell them when they find out they don’t like them or their needs change. 

On 01/12/2023 at 03:30, DocM said:

Why is it a concern that people wanted to re-sell the car?  What I purchased it and really hated it; I'm stuck with it for a year because Musk wanted a cut of my re-sale?

Thankfully the backlash forced him to remove those terms.

On 01/12/2023 at 03:30, DocM said:

Congress isn't going after scalpers.  Congress is going after the monopoly the ticket industry created and the amount of fees they charge for purchasing tickets.

On 01/12/2023 at 07:55, primortal said:

Why is it a concern that people wanted to re-sell the car?  What I purchased it and really hated it; I'm stuck with it for a year because Musk wanted a cut of my re-sale?

Congress isn't going after scalpers.  Congress is going after the monopoly the ticket industry created and the amount of fees they charge for purchasing tickets.

I thought Congress was going after a couple of things.  First, going after all the "hidden" fees that get tacked onto things like concert tickets and hotel rooms.  When you buy a $100 concert ticket and the final price turns out to be $175, it's pretty lame.  Granted nothing is going to get fixed and it'll just become a $175 ticket up front.
And I thought they wanted to take a tax cut when people profiteer on things like concert tickets.  If you sell a $100 Taylor Swift ticket for $4000, they want a cut of those profits.

The govt should just p*ss off and let people do what they want.  If people can make a profit on reselling something, good for them.  The manufacturer didn't meet supply and demand, so it's their loss.  And the govt has no right to tack on yet another greedy tax.

On 01/12/2023 at 09:17, Astra.Xtreme said:

And I thought they wanted to take a tax cut when people profiteer on things like concert tickets.  If you sell a $100 Taylor Swift ticket for $4000, they want a cut of those profits.

Yep, https://www.investopedia.com/do-you-have-to-pay-taxes-for-reselling-concert-tickets-what-you-need-to-know-7975832  but good luck tracking that sale.

• Like 2

When the Cybertruck was first announced in 2019, Musk said it would have up to 500 miles of range and start at $40,000, both of which were huge promised improvements over any available or forthcoming competitor. Instead, the Cybertruck base model has half that range—250 miles—and starts at $60,990, or $20,000 more than people expected. A 340-mile range version is available for $79,990, which is about 30 percent less range for almost twice the money than expected at preorder time. Customers will have the option to spend an extra $16,000 on a “range extender” that will take up about a third of the truck bed. Anyone willing to spend $100,000 can purchase the “Cyberbeast” trim with about 450 miles of range.

This goes without saying, but given Tesla's bottom-of-the-barrel reliability ratings every year, you'd have to be one hell of a loyal follower to buy a first generation anything from them.

• Like 2

I think I've figured it out. The low-poly model, the horribly dated 90s era term "cyber", this has got to be it. Elon Musk designed this truck back in his early 20s on his Packard Bell computer, named it the Cyber Truck, and was so proud of it he printed it out, stuck it on his refrigerator and kept it all this time. He bought Tesla for the sole purpose of giving them that printed photo and having them build his dream truck for him.

On 01/12/2023 at 10:40, Rigby said:

I think I've figured it out. The low-poly model, the horribly dated 90s era term "cyber", this has got to be it. Elon Musk designed this truck back in his early 20s on his Packard Bell computer, named it the Cyber Truck, and was so proud of it he printed it out, stuck it on his refrigerator and kept it all this time. He bought Tesla for the sole purpose of giving them that printed photo and having them build his dream truck for him.

I thought this was the background on that. 🤣

image.thumb.png.d47105b78040fc87ce61cb2d94c1bb21.png

On 01/12/2023 at 20:45, primortal said:

Let me guess: "Real men don't need crumple zones". So not only is it the ugliest vehicle ever made, it appears to be a death trap as well.

• Like 3

On 01/12/2023 at 21:07, Rigby said:

Let me guess: "Real men don't need crumple zones". So not only is it the ugliest vehicle ever made, it appears to be a death trap as well.

Not quite, the crumple is internal as explained further up the thread. The front casting moves, collapsing an internal part which is replaceable. Odds are it will receive another record safety rating like its stablemates. The Model S was so strong it broke the testing machine, and still pulled a 5.0 star rating.

Full review

Prepare yourself for steer by wire, 4 wheel steering, and several other wrinkles.

On 02/12/2023 at 07:39, DocM said:

.45 cal Thompson submachine gun test

Why? Why not?

I rather have a vehicle that doesn’t get shot on sight.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/12/2023 at 15:27, adrynalyne said:

I rather have a vehicle that doesn’t get shot on sight.  

As if someone shooting you won't be aiming for your head through the windows, what is that moron Elon trying to prove?

On 01/12/2023 at 08:55, primortal said:

Ticket scalping is already illegal in 16 states, and counting. A good start, but there should be uniformity and junk fees addressed, which is why congresses going after Ticketmaster. 

Flipping cars happens when demand greatly exceeds production, which is the case with Cybertruck;  production after the startup ramp will be about 250,000 per year which will cause a waiting list of 4-5 years.  Unfortunately, some of the worst perpetrators are car dealers. My first experience with this was when I tried to buy a Datsun 240Z, "Stealers" seriously Jacked the price. Most states have limits on how many used cars you can flip in a year without having a dealer's license, but in some states that level is too high and no one has addressed the Stealers.

IMO, the Feds should address all of this under the Commerce Clause.

On 02/12/2023 at 16:10, PmRd said:

As if someone shooting you won't be aiming for your head through the windows, what is that moron Elon trying to prove?

It's not as if they intentionally set out to make the car bulletproof, it just turned out that way. Now they're using it as a cool stuff ad.

Cybertruck is made using a custom cold rolled stainless steel also used for the SpaceX Starship and Super Heavy booster. This was developed by a shared materials sience department led by Apple's former material science guy. 

It's manufactured by a US Outokumpu (Finland) factory, and is 3 mm thick. No soda can metal like on most cars.

During Starships first flight it went off course so the flight termination system fired explosives, but it didn't work - it kept flying. The vehicle was too tough, wuth ridiculous structural margins, so they had to add more explosives for later flights. 

Edited by DocM

On 02/12/2023 at 16:09, DocM said:

It's not as if they intentionally set out to make the car bulletproof, it just turned out that way. Now they're using it as a cool stuff ad.

Cybertruck is made using a custom cold rolled stainless steel also used for the SpaceX Starship and Super Heavy booster. This was developed by a shared materials sience department led by Apple's former material science guy. 

It's manufactured by a US Outokumpu (Finland) factory, and is 3 mm thick. No soda can metal like on most cars.

During Starships first flight it went off course so the flight termination system fired explosives, but it didn't work - it kept flying. The vehicle was too tough, wuth ridiculous structural margins, so they had to add more explosives for later flights. 

Thats a load of crap. You don't accidently make something bullet proof. People don't go around shooting cars as part of their testing process unless it was intentionally bullet proof.

On 02/12/2023 at 22:02, adrynalyne said:

Thats a load of crap. You don't accidently make something bullet proof. People don't go around shooting cars as part of their testing process unless it was intentionally bullet proof.

Did you miss the part where the alloy was developed for Starship first? I sincerely doubt that part of its CONOPS had anything to do with bullets. 

They were already buying this custom stainless steel in high volume, so they also used it for the Cybertruck. Largely because they wanted the skin to be structural, an exoskeleton which would allow them to eliminate several parts including the door crash beams. They're credo is 'the best part is no part.'

It may be seen again in future vehicles.

On 02/12/2023 at 22:33, DocM said:

Did you miss the part where the alloy was developed for Starship first? I sincerely doubt that part of its CONOPS had anything to do with bullets. 

They were already buying this custom stainless steel in high volume, so they also used it for the Cybertruck. Largely because they wanted the skin to be structural, an exoskeleton which would allow them to eliminate several parts including the door crash beams. They're credo is 'the best part is no part.'

It may be seen again in future vehicles.

Did you miss the part of it being a load of crap? It doesn't matter what it was developed for initially, you don't go shooting up a vehicle unless you know  it is bullet proof. They chose the material and  there is nothing accidental about it. Note, I am not faulting them on this, or saying they are full of crap. I am saying you assertion that it wasn't intentional is a load of crap.

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/12/2023 at 18:09, DocM said:

Cybertruck is made using a custom cold rolled stainless steel

So this is Musk’s Delorean?  Does it come with a Flux Capacitor or is that extra?