Tesla Cybertruck

from a revolutionary point of view, cybertruck are revolutionary and very aerodynamic but I will not buy it yet until probably they are in the market for at least 10 years. I never like to buy anything first generation. 

On 11/27/2019 at 12:46 PM, Circaflex said:

All the technology in the world could be packed into that vehicle, but I wouldn't drive it. That "truck," is ugly.

Same here! Makes me wish I still had my El Camino though. :)

8 hours ago, DocM said:

One last try, staying in the Ford family; Explorer (SUV) and F-150 (Pickup.)

Explorer wheelbase: 119.1"

F-150 wheelbase: 122" - 163″

Explorer track: 66.9"

F-150 track: 67.6" - 73.9″ 

In short, the truck has a larger footprint. Also, for going over obstacles like a ridge,

Explorer

Approach angle: 20.1°

Departure angle: 22°

Break over angle: 17.1° - 17.7°

Clearance: 7.9" - 8.3"

F-150

Approach angle: 24.1° - 25.5°

Departure angle: 23.8° - 26.4°

Break over angle: 18.3° - 21.0°

Clearance: 8.4" - 9.4"

More is usually better for off-road, 

Finally, we've mentioned clearance, approach/departure angles, and large footprint.

But for off-road, you need a short wheel-base which is why F150 and Cybertack will fail.

Still thou, no mention of such basic must-haves as:

locking differential,

transmission capable of supplying high torque at low speeds,

adjustable tire pressure,

snorkel,

winch,

Warning: don't try to do any of that with Cybertruck, F-150, or any Ford for that matter.

And just FYI, this little beast costs more than $100,000. Available in the U.S. and Canada :D 

P.S. Yes, it can swim in water.

Edited by Peresvet
  • Facepalm 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:55 PM, DocM said:

$39,990 (1-motor 2WD) and $49,990 (2-motor AWD) are also options.

Just sayin'

Is that before or after your estimated savings?  Reason being that the Model 3 you purchase from their site is at $39,490 before taxes/fees. Think you have to do a special order to get the $35k pricing still.

image.thumb.png.6d2e5c9e60ee2a46507475259002ba52.png

@Peresvet, I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but I was reading about concerns regarding towing boats. Supposedly, the Tesla warranty doesn't cover going into bodies of water, which makes me wonder if they'll protect/secure and guarantee the Cybertruck when launching boats and whatnot.  Hopefully that gets addressed, if it hasn't already.

(also not trying to sound like a debbie downer, but I'd like to stay realistic when it comes to measuring the capabilities as I hate getting my hopes up)

9 hours ago, dead.cell said:

Is that before or after your estimated savings?  Reason being that the Model 3 you purchase from their site is at $39,490 before taxes/fees. Think you have to do a special order to get the $35k pricing still.

@Peresvet

$35k Model 3's are special order because so few were being purchased; everyone was ordering the Long Range or Performance. Base models of most cars are the same.

State sales taxes, registration and licensing fees are always extra.

As of Jan 1. 2020 new Tesla purchasers will no longer get the federal EV income tax credit - it starts phasing out after the manufacturer produces 200,000 electric vehicles. State issued credits are different.

Tesla posted this promo. Wonder if they're going to to start media advertising as Cybertruck, Model Y and Roadster 2 get closer? 

Edited by DocM

• 1 month later...

Monday Tesla closed at $451.54 (+1.93%), in part to Chinese production of Models 3 and Y (up to 7 passenger CUV) ramping up. Early open is $460.22.

Automobile Magazine...

The Tesla Cybertruck Is the Concept Car of the Year: Here's Why

For starters, it was seriously unexpected.

Robert Cumberford (a protogee of GM's Harley Earl)

Polarizing objects are things you either instinctively love or loathe, no middle ground whatsoever. Tesla's Cybertruck is about as perfect of an instance as you'll ever encounter, however long you might live.

We love the basic idea and shape. Some critiques we read in the first few hours after its initial reveal suggested it to be a manifestation of unimaginative brutality, crude, ugly, and totally impractical. It is certainly different from traditional pickups, which apart from size have not really changed in concept in 100 years. Is it better than the tens of millions of pickups made during the past century? That remains to be seen, but as a concept vehicle it's both exciting and profoundly interesting.

Just the ease of loading is a revelation (excepting from the side, of course). Air suspension raises the front end and lowers the rear, and the tailgate becomes a ramp that allows rolling vehicles-think bikes and Tesla's own ATV-up into the bed without a struggle. A practical roll-up bed cover serves as an aerodynamic fairing when cargo is not taller than the flying buttresses, and it makes sense in terms of energy saving.

Designating the styling as "brutal" shows a complete lack of comprehension as to how subtle and intelligent the Cybertruck's designers were in defining its outer skin, applying the ancient Greek architectural idea of entasis, the not-readily-perceptible distortion of flat planes and straight lines to curves to make them seem straight to the human eye. The Greeks applied the idea to stone columns and to the façade of the Parthenon temple.
>
...As electric vehicles become more common, the old questions of drivability caused by unsophisticated pollution-control systems will have totally disappeared and very likely new vehicle purchases will revert to norms preceding the clean-air legal disruptions. Meaning, we think, that pickups-as-family cars will decline in market importance, but electric pickups will become prevalent.

If that is so, the virtues embodied in the Cybertruck will leave it in good stead: easy loading, low center of gravity, excellent on-road and off-road performance. And, perhaps most important of all, striking appearance, something new and different provided along with traditional capabilities.

TSLA: $478.15
Valuation: $86.18 billion

https://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=16318518

>
Product Mix is Shifting. Model S and Model X may get discontinued, thereby paving way for CyberTruck or maybe CyberCar, 2 years from now.

On relative basis, we saw much more Model S and Model X coming from the Production Area to Holding Area

KEY TAKEAWAYS:

We think, there is some burst in production of both Model S and Model X

We have taken the Test Ride in CyberTruck.

The technology of CyberTruck is exponentially over and beyond both Model S and Model X.

CyberTruck is completely in a different Technology Orbit

Model Y seems to be on plan, the outside construction is now complete

Based on the above, we think the following is happening:

TSLA will very likely announce that Model S and Model X have reached their end-of-life, and if anyone wants to buy these cars, for whatever reason, have up until June-July'2020 to buy one

TSLA focus for next 2 years will likely be the following:

70% Effort on Model Y
30% Effort on Model 3

Our research is indicating that demand for Model Y will easily be 3x that of Model 3

2 Years from now, we think TSLA will Launch CyberTruck and maybe CyberCar

• 4 months later...

I don't know about US safety regulations, but I don't see how that massive slab of metal is ever going to be allowed on EU/UK roads with no crumple zone to speak of.  Anyone hit by that monster is going to get turned into paté...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I don't know about US safety regulations, but I don't see how that massive slab of metal is ever going to be allowed on EU/UK roads with no crumple zone to speak of.  Anyone hit by that monster is going to get turned into paté...

I know zero about EU safety regulations, but isn't the goal to have the vehicle itself keep it's driver safe?  Surely this can't be any worse than a semi truck or other big truck that would clearly win the physics battle against a small sedan.

21 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I know zero about EU safety regulations, but isn't the goal to have the vehicle itself keep it's driver safe?  Surely this can't be any worse than a semi truck or other big truck that would clearly win the physics battle against a small sedan.

Over here, vehicles must also reduce the damage done to anyone unfortunate enough to get hit by it as well, hence all bumpers etc being replaced with flexible plastics and rounded shapes that won't cut someone in half or smoosh them into paste...

Also, the engine bay crumple zone IS designed to keep passengers safe in most vehicles, even US ones.  In any impact, it's designed to crush down and absorb the impact, thus protecting anyone inside.  I can't see that happening with a bulletproof shell...  More likely it'll bounce and cause any impact to pass straight into the passenger compartment... Ow.

• 1 year later...

This prototype looks a lot smaller???  (I'm back on the "it's hideous looking" train).

I think the designers at Tesla are fans of Total Recall  ...

totalrecallcars_09_1000.jpg.81ec480e757720265d01a953372ce3a2.jpg

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 30/08/2022 at 03:28, FloatingFatMan said:

It's 3 years later, so Cybertruck fans, how's that shiny new truck looking in your drive way?! :rofl:   Still glad you paid your deposit? :D 

The Austin Texas line has started producing test articles, one being shipped off to New Zealand for tests and another to Canada. Several are running around the SW US.  Early adopter delivery should start in September. 

1.8 million reservations, some are fleet orders.

Size wise, it's about 3% smaller so they'll fit in the average US garage but it's far from small; Weight Class 2B-3, so similar to a Ford F-250. Class -3 is GVWR 10001–14000 lb (4536–6350 kg). 231" long x 84" wide, wheelbase: 145". Still stainless steel.

The specs have evolved; one new feature is four wheel steering combined with four motors, one on each wheel. Newer Teslas will have steer-by-wire, so AWD Cybertrucks having crab-walk (diagonal drive) capability isn't out of the question.

Due to the adoption the North American Charging Standard (aka Tesla Supercharger) by Ford, GM, Hyundai, Volvo, Rivian, and possibly Stellantis, new features are coming in with it's latest upgrade: Supercharger 4. The Society of Automotive Engineers International  is fast tracking the standard.

1,000 volt drive system

615 kWh standard, 1000 kWh in the Megacharger version used by Tesla Semi (Cybertruck compatable). 48 volt accessory system (rumored) 

Camo wrap

20230614_142236.thumb.jpg.54b82659c1e6a5b433f14078bc19e1b0.jpg

cybertruckbedvault.thumb.jpg.cc8dcbe0edbda13ec5ae86b1306a59b6.jpg

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

On 27/06/2023 at 17:10, FloatingFatMan said:

^ Looks nice... shame that it can't even get over a kerb without struggling! :rofl: 

Too bad you didn't do a little research based on the date. This is when they were pulling it into the Peterson Museum in LA, meaning that it was a display only vehicle with a detuned powertrane. The fully configured vehicle has nearly 1,000 HP so you don't want some grunt sllipping a foot and driving it through the museum wall.

On 28/06/2023 at 09:55, DocM said:

Too bad you didn't do a little research based on the date. This is when they were pulling it into the Peterson Museum in LA, meaning that it was a display only vehicle with a detuned powertrane. The fully configured vehicle has nearly 1,000 HP so you don't want some grunt sllipping a foot and driving it through the museum wall.

So you're saying it's an uncontrollable killing machine?

• Like 3

Even a box is aerodynamic when tilted the right way.

• Like 3

On 27/06/2023 at 16:55, DocM said:

Plus you don't want to ding it up.

On 28/06/2023 at 15:32, primortal said:

Dam skippy it fugly..

I didn't think it was very aerodynamic with the hard lines, but it is, https://airshaper.com/cases/tesla-cybertruck-aerodynamics

I just don't see how it's ever going to pass any road safety tests... If that thing hits a pedestrian, even at 20mph, they're going to splatter...

• Like 2

On 28/06/2023 at 14:38, FloatingFatMan said:

I just don't see how it's ever going to pass any road safety tests... If that thing hits a pedestrian, even at 20mph, they're going to splatter...

Yeah, like pretty much every truck on the market right now...

• Like 2

On 28/06/2023 at 20:12, PmRd said:

Yeah, like pretty much every truck on the market right now...

Which are made from thin aluminium and have crumple zones designed to protect, whereas the Cybertruck is made of 3mm cold rolled stainless steel that will splatter any skull accidentally bouncing off it...

• 2 months later...
On 28/06/2023 at 15:20, FloatingFatMan said:

Which are made from thin aluminium and have crumple zones designed to protect, whereas the Cybertruck is made of 3mm cold rolled stainless steel that will splatter any skull accidentally bouncing off it...

Tesla's newer vehicles, starting with the Model Y CUV, are structurally different than conventional vehicles so the conventional assumptions do not apply.

They are using front and rear cast under bodies using a proprietary alloy, which reduces making the frame to a 2-minute operation. This is done using a casting press with 6,000 metric tons of clamping force. Cybertruck's press  uses 9000 metric tons. Recent reports say the next generation will use a 12,000-ton press.

Gone are about 100 parts at each end. To handle crumple, these castings use a replaceable deformation rail which absorbs the impact rather than having structural metal bend. The Cybertruck front body panels and hood are small, relatively uninvolved parts in the process. 

Volkswagen and Hyundai are trying to develop a similar cast chassis system.

Edited by DocM