Tesla Cybertruck

On 08/03/2024 at 18:27, DocM said:

Another thing many observers are missing  is the industry move to lithium iron phosphate (LFP, LMFP, etc) batteries instead of lithium nicke\cobalt. The lithium iron chemistries can be charged to 100% all of the time without causing degradation, they are much longer lived (they can endure more charge\discharge cycles), and  they are far less expensive.

Also of interest is Stellantis exploring lithium sulfur batteries, which are also inexpensive and have a higher energy density than current battery chemistries.

There is also what looks like an industry-wide acceptance of Tesla's 4680 cell and extensions (4695 and 46120), which can use any chemistry and has numerous other  advantages. 

Yes, the lithium iron phosphate batteries is a big deal.  I have them in some expensive portable solar power generators that I can run most of my house on and that is a big deal for Tesla or any manufacturer that uses them.  I should have brought that up because that is certainly a factor in the life of these battery packs.  Last Monday, I even noticed that this was mentioned in Jay Leno's video on the updated Model 3 (see below).

Without getting into the details, when I was referring to Tesla leading in the industry, this is happening in many areas such as the industry-wide acceptance of Tesla's 4680 cells and extensions, more players moving to the large casts, adoption or adapters to use Tesla's NACS connectors, etc.

Posted (edited)
On 08/03/2024 at 20:13, wakjak said:

another *shocker* Cybertruck failure: $3000 for a $0.15 alibaba tent.

new-cyber-truck-tent-v0-jk3y43l646nc1.jp

Not quite. 

Stowed

Screenshot_20240309-135954.thumb.jpg.2f26e25cad8e8faa3820999f5ab49e75.jpg

Deployed and inflated (dual layer, pump included). Includes mattress, awning, etc. Mounts to the side L brackets.

Screenshot_20240309-140014.thumb.jpg.a2279ddc23549b7a827c306952afc3dc.jpg

Screenshot_20240309-140001.thumb.jpg.a7872f0169d04c86a014f99bd7e4a169.jpg

Side

Screenshot_20240309-140023.thumb.jpg.16a37aba4bfa6b8723a80db9daddfbe6.jpg

Edited by DocM

On 09/03/2024 at 14:59, Dick Montage said:

Marketing images have NEVER lied before!

Screenshot from their video, fully deployed. Both 120 and 240 volt outlets are accessible 

Screenshot_20240309-145743.thumb.png.3af3e86066764936795583420c0877a9.png

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 09/03/2024 at 12:11, DocM said:

Not quite. 

Stowed

Screenshot_20240309-135954.thumb.jpg.2f26e25cad8e8faa3820999f5ab49e75.jpg

Deployed and inflated (dual layer, pump included). Includes mattress, awning, etc. Mounts to the side L brackets.

Screenshot_20240309-140014.thumb.jpg.a2279ddc23549b7a827c306952afc3dc.jpg

Screenshot_20240309-140001.thumb.jpg.a7872f0169d04c86a014f99bd7e4a169.jpg

Side

Screenshot_20240309-140023.thumb.jpg.16a37aba4bfa6b8723a80db9daddfbe6.jpg

I'm not sure why you are saying "not quite", the customer photo vs your  images are essentially the same thing, except the customer doesn't have a dressed up image and the awning isn't installed. To each their own, but this seems pretty expensive for what it is. At the end of the day, it's nothing like the original marketing material, which was the point @wakjak was showing.

• Like 2

You could buy a "house" for that $3k

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-duck-outdoors-avalon-optimus-23-fire-water-repellent-bell-tent

Though to be fair .. just about every truck bed tent is pretty ugly.  The implementation by Tesla isn't bad in comparison (though the truck itself is damn fugly).

This thing is $3500...

https://realtruck.com/p/thule-basin-wedge-hardshell-rooftop-tent/

• Like 3

Aaaahahahahah!!!

Once again, a bunch of dipsticks do their level best to prove the American stereotype!  I especially love the part where he shows that the baseball Musk used for the second window test is very probably made of foam... :p

• Haha 3

Related:

Edit: whopps, I didn't far enough in the video to see he mentions the JerryRigEverything video.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 08:39, Jim K said:

A F-150 or Tundra should be included when you buy one of these things...

Those wont do better if they don't have proper tires. It's a tire problem you see there more than a truck problem. My Mazda 3 with normal ordinary winter tires sold in Canada would have absolutely no problem climbing this.

On 10/03/2024 at 01:36, adrynalyne said:

I'm not sure why you are saying "not quite", the customer photo vs your  images are essentially the same thing, except the customer doesn't have a dressed up image and the awning isn't installed. To each their own, but this seems pretty expensive for what it is. At the end of the day, it's nothing like the original marketing material, which was the point @wakjak was showing.

The awning was not extended, therefore the structural support poles not installed, but most of all it was not inflated which is a major part of the structural strength. In short, it was only half assembled.

On 12/03/2024 at 15:10, DocM said:

The awning was not extended, therefore the structural support poles not installed, but most of all it was not inflated which is a major part of the structural strength. In short, it was only half assembled.

So what I said? Not sure why you needed to reiterate that part. 

On 12/03/2024 at 18:59, adrynalyne said:

So what I said? Not sure why you needed to reiterate that part. 

@adrynalyne, be fair.  @DocM elaborated more specifically as to what wasn't done.  You only said "... the awning isn't installed."  I think he was actually correcting you.  The awning was installed, but not extended, structural support poles not installed, etc.  He went into more detail and also called out that it wasn't inflated, which is a key factor in the structural strength.  Doc did not just reiterate what you said. 

But to another one of your points and many others, unless I thought I was going to use it quite a bit, "BaseCamp" probably isn't worth ~$3,000.

On 12/03/2024 at 19:13, JayZJay said:

@adrynalyne, be fair.  @DocM elaborated more specifically as to what wasn't done.  You only said "... the awning isn't installed."  I think he was actually correcting you.  The awning was installed, but not extended, structural support poles not installed, etc.  He went into more detail and also called out that it wasn't inflated, which is a key factor in the structural strength.  Doc did not just reiterate what you said. 

But to another one of your points and many others, unless I thought I was going to use it quite a bit, "BaseCamp" probably isn't worth ~$3,000.

Per the article:

https://electrek.co/2024/03/08/tesla-shipping-cybertruck-tent/

“To be fair, it should look better with the awning out, but they haven’t installed it in this case.”

Looking at the additional images, I’m not seeing the awning anywhere.

Edit: found the original post:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/basecamp-tent-first-review-︎/

Note that I didn’t setup the awning yet, so the pics only show the main tent.”

Im not sure what inflating means (the mattress isn’t inflatable), this is an actual owner giving experiences and the only thing not setup was the awning. Well that and the lack of “tent mode” software. I  be doubt @DocM is more authoritative than a firsthand experience. The post is not even a super negative review. But it definitely does not look like the original renders which is why @wakjak was poking fun at it. Thats fair play, don’t present one thing and deliver something radically different and not expect some criticism for it. 

Page 5 of the post has the awning installed and it looks better. 

Edited by adrynalyne

On 12/03/2024 at 22:19, adrynalyne said:

Per the article:

https://electrek.co/2024/03/08/tesla-shipping-cybertruck-tent/

“To be fair, it should look better with the awning out, but they haven’t installed it in this case.”

Looking at the additional images, I’m not seeing the awning anywhere.

Edit: found the original post:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/basecamp-tent-first-review-︎/

Note that I didn’t setup the awning yet, so the pics only show the main tent.”

Im not sure what inflating means (the mattress isn’t inflatable), this is an actual owner giving experiences and the only thing not setup was the awning.

Inflatable in that it's an inflatable air frame tent, no need for a metal or fiberglass frame except for the awning poles. Comes with a pump.

Inflatable tents are not new, but did you have pretty good weather performance.

Well that and the lack of “tent mode” software. I  be doubt @DocM is more authoritative than a firsthand experience.

Everything I've read says Tent Mode levels the vehicle when on uneven terrain (active air suspension). It would come in a software OTA update, possibly in the same one it will enable the locking differentials.

To a large degree, Tesla's are software-defined cars, similar to a software defined radio. The behavior of almost every system; performance, driveline, braking & regeneration, steering, etc. can be programmed and updated. 

Sometimes you get up in the morning and there's a screen informing you of new features. 

On 12/03/2024 at 21:35, DocM said:

Inflatable in that it's an inflatable air frame tent, no need for a metal or fiberglass frame except for the awning poles. Comes with a pump.

Inflatable tents are not new, but did you have pretty good weather performance.

Everything I've read says Tent Mode levels the vehicle when on uneven terrain (active air suspension). It would come in a software OTA update, possibly in the same one it will enable the locking differentials.

To a large degree, Tesla's are software-defined cars, similar to a software defined radio. The behavior of almost every system; performance, driveline, braking & regeneration, steering, etc. can be programmed and updated. 

Sometimes you get up in the morning and there's a screen informing you of new features. 

Can you point us to where the customer did not “inflate” it? The main structure looks the same with the awning installed as it does on his driveway without it installed.

Tent Mode isn’t live and doesn’t exist for consumers at this point so to say it will come as an ota update is a given. But so is it not currently existing for consumers. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bah, brakes and airbags are overrated anyway

bafkreigyqkhtx3ufmsoqpntrpgdihxkiawospib

On 03/04/2024 at 22:25, virtorio said:

Bah, brakes and airbags are overrated anyway

bafkreigyqkhtx3ufmsoqpntrpgdihxkiawospib

I hate to be the guy having to say that but don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

https://nypost.com/2024/04/08/business/teslas-cybertrucks-were-rushed-out-are-malfunctioning-at-astounding-rate/

Because OF COURSE THEY DID..

Tesla’s long-delayed — and pricey — Cybertrucks are getting panned by furious owners for malfunctioning at an alarming rate just months after Elon Musk’s futuristic vehicle hit the road.

Tales of the stainless steel Cybertrucks dying after traveling just 1 mile, randomly hard-braking on a wide-open road and already showing rust spots, among other gripes, were shared in the Tesla Owners’ Club forum.

In a thread titled “Worst delivery in my life (truck died in 5 minutes),” a Southern California-based owner wrote that after taking his truck for a spin the same day it was delivered last month, the vehicle “made it 1 mile down road, started getting steering error, flashing red screen, pulled off side of highway now the truck is dead and I’m waiting for a tow truck.”

Imagine simping for that idiot named Elon, just for your truck to die after 1 mile.

Simps. Nothing but SIMPS. 

I think Elon's penis has turned into a nub from all the action he's getting from his simps.

• Like 3

The inside looks just as fugly as the outside.

On 15/04/2024 at 16:41, primortal said:

The inside looks just as fugly as the outside.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/04/tesla-stops-cybertruck-deliveries-accelerator-pedal-may-be-to-blame/

Cybertruck owners allege pedal problem as Tesla suspends deliveries

Tesla's troubled Cybertruck appears to have hit yet another speed bump. Over the weekend, dozens of waiting customers reported that their impending deliveries had been canceled due to "an unexpected delay regarding the preparation of your vehicle."

Tesla has not announced an official stop sale or recall, and as of now, the reason for the suspended deliveries is unknown. But it's possible the electric pickup truck has a problem with its accelerator.

Tesla has been accused of making cars that have sudden unintended acceleration problems. In 2017, the company was the subject of a class-action lawsuit based on at least 23 accounts of Tesla Models S and X suffering from this problem. Tesla vehemently denied any such problem, and in 2020, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration declined to investigate.

But in 2023, a safety researcher in Minnesota published a white paper with a potential mechanism, showing how a voltage spike in Tesla's inverter could cause a car to experience an acceleration event. That same year, a leaked trove of Tesla documents to the German publication Handelsblatt included more than 2,400 customer complaints alleging sudden unintended brake problems. By July 2023, NHTSA decided it was time to investigate the problem.

Louder for the people in the back...

THE TESLA CYBERTRUCK IS A FAILURE.

AHEM***

Tesla will lay off more than 10% of global workforce: Read the Elon Musk memo

Tesla will lay off more than 10% of its global workforce, according to a memo sent to employees by CEO Elon Musk.

The company’s shares closed down more than 5% on Monday.

“As we prepare the company for our next phase of growth, it is extremely important to look at every aspect of the cohttps://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/15/tesla-shares-dip-in-premarket-trade-on-global-layoff-reports.htmlmpany for cost reductions and increasing productivity,” Musk said in the memo obtained by CNBC.

“As part of this effort, we have done a thorough review of the organization and made the difficult decision to reduce our headcount by more than 10% globally,” the memo said.

The memo was first reported by Electrek.

Tesla had 140,473 employees as of December 2023.

Tesla shares have taken a bruising in recent months, falling 31% year to date. While electric vehicle sales are still gaining popularity worldwide, their sales growth rate has slowed especially for Tesla. The company now faces more competition than ever.

To end 2023, China’s BYD temporarily dethroned Tesla as the world’s top EV maker. Chinese smartphone company Xiaomi in March said it would sell its first electric car for far less than Tesla’s Model 3.

Musk has previously recognized that China, home to a large Tesla factory, may also house the company’s strongest competition. “There’s a lot of people who are out there who think that the top 10 car companies are going to be Tesla followed by nine Chinese car companies. I think they might not be wrong,” Musk said in November.

Some would-be Tesla customers are now skipping the brand owing to Musk’s incendiary rhetoric

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/15/tesla-shares-dip-in-premarket-trade-on-global-layoff-reports.html