Tesla Cybertruck

Was at the Toronto International Autoshow today, and saw the CT, looks even more stupid in person.

Oh and had the largest panel gaps out of all vehicles shown...

• Haha 2

On 24/02/2024 at 23:32, Matthew S. said:

Was at the Toronto International Autoshow today, and saw the CT, looks even more stupid in person.

Oh and had the largest panel gaps out of all vehicles shown...

No way. @DocM said Tesla was better than industry standard. 

• Haha 1

On 25/02/2024 at 05:24, adrynalyne said:

No way. @DocM said Tesla was better than industry standard. 

I said their maximum panel Gap was 8 mm, comparing it to Ford pickup trucks at sometimes achieve double that.

On 25/02/2024 at 19:51, DocM said:

I said their maximum panel Gap was 8 mm, comparing it to Ford pickup trucks at sometimes achieve double that.

I'm convinced @DocMis on the Musk payroll.

On 24/02/2024 at 15:06, primortal said:

Wait, what?  So wouldn’t rain/car wash remove it not contributing to it?

No. We are talking iron  nanoparticles, much smaller than the imperfections in the typical paint job or the texturing of stainless steel so they catch and stay stuck. It's been a problem for years, and there are products to address it. 

https://nextzettusa.com/how-to-remove-yellow-rust-spots-on-car-paint/

How To Remove Yellow Rust Spots On Car Paint

If you see yellow/brown colored spots on your car's white or silver colored paint, do not be alarmed. It's rail dust and it's a common issue that is easily fixable.

>

The metal shavings float in the air and then land on your car's paint finish. Eventually they rust and the result is the brown spots you see on your paint. These small metal particulates also come from the use of metallic brake pads and rotors.

>

Many cars have this issue but may not be visible unless it's a light colored car - especially white. The issue can easily be fixed and should be done! as soon as possible.

Edited by DocM

On 25/02/2024 at 13:55, Steven P. said:

I'm convinced @DocMis on the Musk payroll.

No, I react negatively to short-seller promoted FUD being posted as actual news. Cripes, I had iron dust stains on my Toyota Celica. Dad had them on his car because he split time between the farm and the railroad.

Old. News.

Edited by DocM

On 25/02/2024 at 14:59, DocM said:

Cripes, I had iron dust stains on my Toyota Celica. Dad had them on his car because he split time between the farm and the railroad.

Old. News.

My entire family 90% car enthusiasts living in the northeast and even on the coast few miles from the ocean who traveled major highways constantly never once complained about “iron dust stains”.

On 25/02/2024 at 11:51, DocM said:

My bad. I didn’t realize you instead cherry-picked one of the worst companies for panel gaps to compare Tesla. It’s easy to look good when you set the bar on the ground. 

On 25/02/2024 at 12:59, DocM said:

No, I react negatively to short-seller promoted FUD being posted as actual news. Cripes, I had iron dust stains on my Toyota Celica. Dad had them on his car because he split time between the farm and the railroad.

Old. News.

You probably should have taken better care of your paint and clear coat. 

On 25/02/2024 at 14:59, DocM said:

Old. News.

You had a Toyota Celica? The most manly car Toyota ever made 🤣

Edited by pmrd

On 25/02/2024 at 12:59, DocM said:

Old. News.

ANY new car rusting shortly after being purchased would make the news. Tesla isn’t that special to be singled out. 

Contamination or not, it’s news because you don’t see it rolling off the lot. 

• Like 2

On 25/02/2024 at 18:31, pmrd said:

You had a Toyota Celica? The most manly car Toyota ever made 🤣

Giggle all you want, the 20R  was one seriously reliable engine. Add a Weber, custom exhaust, new cam...

On 25/02/2024 at 18:40, adrynalyne said:

ANY new car rusting shortly after being purchased would make the news. Tesla isn’t that special to be singled out. 

Contamination or not, it’s news because you don’t see it rolling off the lot. 

When fresh iron dust settles  it's not yet corroded, so not very visible. Looks like regular dust. It's only after it's had time to be exposed to the elements and corrode that it becomes more visible. 

Another thing I may not have mentioned is it exposure to chlorides can speed up the corrosion process. Road salt, salt spray if you're on the coasts, etc.

On 25/02/2024 at 15:45, primortal said:

My entire family 90% car enthusiasts living in the northeast and even on the coast few miles from the ocean who traveled major highways constantly never once complained about “iron dust stains”.

Google search..

1. Wash and rinse the entire vehicle.
  2. Spray the iron remover chemical on the painted surfaces of the car. ...
  3. Gently agitate troubled areas with a soft microfiber wash mitt or a microfiber towel.
  4. Rinse the entire vehicle thoroughly to remove the iron-removal cleaner.

On 25/02/2024 at 18:19, adrynalyne said:

You probably should have taken better care of your paint and clear coat. 

It's a continuing issue, it settles on clear coat too. Grabs into any surface imperfection, and trust me clear coat is not perfect.

On 26/02/2024 at 06:37, DocM said:

Google search..

1. Wash and rinse the entire vehicle.
  2. Spray the iron remover chemical on the painted surfaces of the car. ...
  3. Gently agitate troubled areas with a soft microfiber wash mitt or a microfiber towel.
  4. Rinse the entire vehicle thoroughly to remove the iron-removal cleaner.

Regurgitating the same thing over and over again adds nothing to the conversation.

We never had "iron rust spots" on any of mine or families' cars living in the northeast with rain/snow/salted roads/break dust.

There's nothing wrong in admitting the Musk screwed up by not adding a protected coating to the Cyber Truck from day one.

On 26/02/2024 at 08:00, primortal said:

Regurgitating the same thing over and over again adds nothing to the conversation.

Truth deserves repeating until it finally sinks in.

We never had "iron rust spots" on any of mine or families' cars living in the northeast with rain/snow/salted roads/break dust.

Good for you, others do not have the same experience. Look at this as a learning opportunity. 

There's nothing wrong in admitting the Musk screwed up by not adding a protected coating to the Cyber Truck from day one.

This has nothing to do with Musk and everything to do with denialism.

Rust dust doesn't care what your coating is or who made the car; it settles and sticks to any imperfect surface (including overcoats), it gets wet, and it corrodes.

If it's freshly made rail dust it can be hot and melt its way into the surface. The car doesn't even need to be on the train, just sitting waiting for the train to pass.

I've seen it on everything from an F-100 pickup down on the farm to a Subaru. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/02/2024 at 10:10, DocM said:

If it's freshly made rail dust it can be hot and melt its way into the surface. The car doesn't even need to be on the train, just sitting waiting for the train to pass.

Gee....  I never heard a rail or subway passenger standing next to the platform ever reporting being burned by hot rail dust, nor have I seen warning signs next to rail or subway platforms warning of hot rail dust...

Truth deserves repeating until it finally sinks in.

Like Cybertruck have rust problems?  De Lorean's never did.

Look at this as a learning opportunity.

Yes, never buy a stainless-steel truck from Tesla.

On 24/02/2024 at 14:42, DocM said:

It's not the Cybertruck that's corroding, it's iron dust (a component of road dust) that is falling on the vehicle. Sometimes it's  from shipping by rail, but iron dust is also deposited on every road - particles that come off of disc rotors and drums which settle around the road are most common.

There's so much of it that it's becoming a medical issue, in no small part because of the metal contained therein.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30499095/#:~:text=There are several sources in,as the dominant metallic element.

" There are several sources in road traffic which generate road dust particles, including exhaust and non-exhaust processes. Some of them (e.g., brake wear) produce iron as the dominant metallic element"

Microscopic they are, so they look like the rest of the road-dust but can corrode to brown. Most easily seen on light gray, white, and silver vehicles.

++++++++

Just for fun, Cybertrax

The only way for the cybertruck to get through snow… putting tracks on it…

On 26/02/2024 at 10:18, wakjak said:

The only way for the cybertruck to get through snow… putting tracks on it…

That would be pretty cool, a CT with tracks :)

But then with how EVs work in cold weather...eh.

On 26/02/2024 at 16:03, adrynalyne said:

That would be pretty cool, a CT with tracks :)

But then with how EVs work in cold weather...eh.

Many people don't read their manuals. Walking out getting in and taking off means a battery is at a low  temperature and the chemical reactions less efficient. 

There's a fix for that; Preconditioning

At home you would leave it plugged in, as you would do for overnight charging. Either using the Tesla app or the control screen in the car you start preconditioning. This can also be done using a timer Vehicle heat pump engages, extracting heat from the surrounding air and warming interior and the battery/motor.

You leave toasty and the battery's chemical reactions are going full blast.

On 26/02/2024 at 17:20, DocM said:

At home you would leave it plugged in, as you would do for overnight charging. Either using the Tesla app or the control screen in the car you start it. Vehicle heat pump engages, warming interior and the battery. You leave toasty and the battery's chemical reactions are going full blast.

The downside is going to work, and the car is sitting in the parking lot for 8-10 in cold weather not charging.  Then what do you do?

On 26/02/2024 at 17:26, primortal said:

The downside is going to work, and the car is sitting in the parking lot for 8-10 in cold weather not charging.  Then what do you do?

Adding some updates as well as answering the question because they are pertinent.

++++++

Preconditioning is  advantageous even if you don't plug it in. Heat pumps use relatively power, certainly much less than the 7+ kWh resistive heaters used in some EVs.

If you're lucky your employer has a Level 2 charger in their parking space, all that's needed for basic L2 charging is a 120/240 exterior outlet {usually the charging cables come with the car). For road warriors, salesman etc, Hilton is installing 20,000 Tesla Level 2 chargers for their hotels. Others are sure to follow.

The latest Tesla Level 2 home charger supports advanced features and both the legacy CSS1 vehicles and the Tesla North American Charging System. NACS will be installed in cars sold in the US starting in 2025.  Ford, General Motors, Stellantis, and all the foreign makers except Mitsubishi (and they may soon see the light).

Tesla's working with all of the makers on how the NACS standard evolves. One of the first things out of the gate is bi-directional charging, the ability to transfer power not only from the grid to the car but from the car to the grid/home/or a home battery such as used for solar.

Cybertruck and the Ford F-150 Lightning both have bi-directional, but Cybertruck can handle more power. Odds are Fords upcoming Project T3 electric pickup will rectify this. Expect the T3 to be almost as unconventional looking as Cybertruck.

image.thumb.png.c9794f9fa204ce04c88e42ea4ba67d81.png

A while back I asked what happens when critical systems, tied to electronics without a mechanical fallback, fail.

Granted there's no more information about what happened (yet), but I'm guessing the steering wheel and brakes didn't fall off, so I'm assuming a electrical or computer failure.

On 04/03/2024 at 14:21, virtorio said:

image.thumb.png.c9794f9fa204ce04c88e42ea4ba67d81.png

A while back I asked what happens when critical systems, tied to electronics without a mechanical fallback, fail.

Granted there's no more information about what happened (yet), but I'm guessing the steering wheel and brakes didn't fall off, so I'm assuming a electrical or computer failure.

I could have sworn someone responded that there were all sorts of redundancies to prevent that...maybe I imagined it.

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2