[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion

Just now, George P said:

If it's coming later in 2021 that could be possible.  And if true the choice to do so would be to push the visuals to as high as they can on XSX for what's more or less they're flagship series.  I understand the thinking behind it.  Sucks for XO owners but we're talking a year from now, maybe, not in a few months.  Enough time to get a XSX.

Not a good look for MS though. They promised games like this would play across all consoles. To go back on that, within 12 months of the console launching is pretty crappy. Even worse when you consider it's not a 3rd party game.

12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Not a good look for MS though. They promised games like this would play across all consoles. To go back on that, within 12 months of the console launching is pretty crappy. Even worse when you consider it's not a 3rd party game.

They did say first 2 years?  So they did set a deadline iirc.  We'll see, still just a rumor and might not happen in the end.

2 minutes ago, George P said:

They did say first 2 years?  So they did set a deadline iirc.  We'll see, still just a rumor and might not happen in the end.

I took at that as all first party games will come to XO owners for the first two years of the XSX lifetime, not that any titles will come to XO within two years.

I agree with Disply on this, they've been throwing around the line about not needing to buy an XSX day one if you don't want to, this will feel like XO are being left in the dark.

12 minutes ago, George P said:

6 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I took at that as all first party games will come to XO owners for the first two years of the XSX lifetime, not that any titles will come to XO within two years.

I agree with Disply on this, they've been throwing around the line about not needing to buy an XSX day one if you don't want to, this will feel like XO are being left in the dark.

Yep what @Skiversaid. (good to see you around btw)

But these are just rumours, so we'll see 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yep what @Skiversaid. (good to see you around btw)

But these are just rumours, so we'll see 🤷‍♂️

I'm always around, just mostly lurking in the shadows ¬_¬

44 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Yeah,  first party for 2 years, but then we've already seen some titles on the way that have dropped XO, like the new Fable.  So is that a 2023 game?  I always figured it was 2022.   Are they counting any games that do come out this year, 2020, as the first year? Funky math in effect?  Guess we'll see.

27 minutes ago, George P said:

Yeah,  first party for 2 years, but then we've already seen some titles on the way that have dropped XO, like the new Fable.  So is that a 2023 game?  I always figured it was 2022.   Are they counting any games that do come out this year, 2020, as the first year? Funky math in effect?  Guess we'll see.

Wouldn't surprise me if they changed their mind about supporting X1 somewhat but I'd be surprised if they dropped X1X.

It's not an amazing box compared to the XSX but it is certainly capable.

3 hours ago, George P said:

If Fable released Dec 2022 then technically that could fall outside of the two year window but still in time for a Christmas release? As you say, time will tell.

5 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

So all seems to be fake news. Good to hear :)

I posted this on the front page but I think the delay is due to the big difference in storage speed/IO between the XO and the XSX, and not so much the visuals or graphics which can be scaled without much fuss.

We'll see in time but they're probably looking at how to balance the two versions when it comes to loading times and so on.  How will the faster storage ability of the XSX effect, say, a MP match vs players on the XO?  Or how does it effect online co-op?   I might be totally off here but that's just my gut feeling right now.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah I was wondering when the next event is going to happen. 

Wonder if they'll pull a May and just skip it lol

Just saying with 2 days left of the month. No sign of another event. MS started off strong with showing off a lot but they seemed to have shyed away a little. 

Rumours are floating around that the PS5 pre orders are around the corner. 

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just saying with 2 days left of the month. No sign of another event. MS started off strong with showing off a lot but they seemed to have shyed away a little. 

There's the digital gamescom event today, they might toss in a surprise or something. 

They really want Sony to go first on pricing, that's for sure. 

6 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I still think with the full xCloud launch on Sept 15th that's likely when a lot of further info will go live.  Pre-orders, launch games and upgrades planned, availability, etc.

I could be wrong but the timing just seems about right.

45 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I still think with the full xCloud launch on Sept 15th that's likely when a lot of further info will go live.  Pre-orders, launch games and upgrades planned, availability, etc.

I could be wrong but the timing just seems about right.

That a very good point. 

I think I'm more with George on this one, Sony and MS are playing chicken with price announcements and both trying to delay the price announcement past the other.

2 hours ago, Skiver said:

I think I'm more with George on this one, Sony and MS are playing chicken with price announcements and both trying to delay the price announcement past the other.

Sony even has you signing up for a chance to win a invite to pre-order now.  It's mind blowing at this point.  

I think MS will end up going first BUT they'll post Series S prices first because they know for sure Sony won't go as low as whatever the S will be.   Sony, IMO, has less to gain from this, they're the clear leader and have the stronger mindshare going into this new gen, even if they're around $50 more, I don't think it'll hurt their initial sales much.   At $100, maybe a bit, anything more than that and yeah.  

1 minute ago, George P said:

Sony even has you signing up for a chance to win a invite to pre-order now.  It's mind blowing at this point.  

I think MS will end up going first BUT they'll post Series S prices first because they know for sure Sony won't go as low as whatever the S will be.   Sony, IMO, has less to gain from this, they're the clear leader and have the stronger mindshare going into this new gen, even if they're around $50 more, I don't think it'll hurt their initial sales much.   At $100, maybe a bit, anything more than that and yeah.  

That blew my mind when I read that on the front page, the problem is there will be some who fall for the marketing hype created by the thought that you MIGHT not get a console if you don't pre-order.

I don't think MS would get away with releasing S prices without the X though. 

The only thing Sony has to gain in holding out is if the rumour that MS plan to low ball them no matter what, If MS go first then they have to guess and could get it wrong. Not to the point that Sony will try and lowball them but it just might not be enough to make a difference.

But sure, the PS will still probably outsell the Xbox because it has the bigger fanbase, I forget the current sales figures but I'm sure Sony have pretty much double the sales of PS4 over the Ones, it's just a case of if MS can pull in any of the market and get a greater share. Even then, I suspect we're talking single digits in terms of percent.

7 minutes ago, Skiver said:

That blew my mind when I read that on the front page, the problem is there will be some who fall for the marketing hype created by the thought that you MIGHT not get a console if you don't pre-order.

I don't think MS would get away with releasing S prices without the X though. 

The only thing Sony has to gain in holding out is if the rumour that MS plan to low ball them no matter what, If MS go first then they have to guess and could get it wrong. Not to the point that Sony will try and lowball them but it just might not be enough to make a difference.

But sure, the PS will still probably outsell the Xbox because it has the bigger fanbase, I forget the current sales figures but I'm sure Sony have pretty much double the sales of PS4 over the Ones, it's just a case of if MS can pull in any of the market and get a greater share. Even then, I suspect we're talking single digits in terms of percent.

From a pure console sales perspective, they'll be behind Sony I'm sure, but that's where things like Game Pass and xCloud make the difference overall.  Everyone hates on Phil for saying it's not about console sales anymore, they don't seem to get it.  The Xbox ecosystem just expanded outside the console.    The argument that xbox has no exclusives because all their 1st party games are coming to the PC as well make me facepalm when I read them.   Software and services has always been were the money was/is made, you needed good hardware sales to create the ecosystem, you just don't need that as much now.

MS could sell half as many systems as Sony but make more revenues from the services.  I think Sony sees it and that's why we're getting HZD on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's not the only 1st party Sony game we'll get on PC.

Ok, this video is in Polish, so you can mute it, unless you know the language.  But it's a pretty good size comparison of the XSX vs older gen systems.

15 hours ago, George P said:

From a pure console sales perspective, they'll be behind Sony I'm sure, but that's where things like Game Pass and xCloud make the difference overall.  Everyone hates on Phil for saying it's not about console sales anymore, they don't seem to get it.  The Xbox ecosystem just expanded outside the console.    The argument that xbox has no exclusives because all their 1st party games are coming to the PC as well make me facepalm when I read them.   Software and services has always been were the money was/is made, you needed good hardware sales to create the ecosystem, you just don't need that as much now.

MS could sell half as many systems as Sony but make more revenues from the services.  I think Sony sees it and that's why we're getting HZD on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's not the only 1st party Sony game we'll get on PC.

Oh for sure, but the media doesn't care about that. It's all about who "wins" the console wars.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, George P said:

If I'm reading this gen correctly, the XSX is the powerful machine, the PS5 is the weaker one and might be more affordable, and the XSS should be weaker still but even more affordable.  And then there'll be a PS5 Pro in a few years that will very possibly outclass the XSX.

Either way I am loving this coming gen already, assuming it plays out as I expect it to.

7 minutes ago, LostCat said:

If I'm reading this gen correctly, the XSX is the powerful machine, the PS5 is the weaker one and might be more affordable, and the XSS should be weaker still but even more affordable.  And then there'll be a PS5 Pro in a few years that will very possibly outclass the XSX.

Either way I am loving this coming gen already, assuming it plays out as I expect it to.

I hope the mid-gen upgrades aren't a common thing, then we're really going to start looking like the PC, at which point devs could start complaining.    I personally don't want to see any show up in 3-4 years, the XO and PS4 both started off way underpowered so it made sense to do the PS4 Pro and XOX.  I don't think that's the case this time around, I think they're both starting off fine, sure they've just been one upped by the PC again, but that's nothing new.

5 minutes ago, George P said:

I hope the mid-gen upgrades aren't a common thing, then we're really going to start looking like the PC, at which point devs could start complaining.    I personally don't want to see any show up in 3-4 years, the XO and PS4 both started off way underpowered so it made sense to do the PS4 Pro and XOX.  I don't think that's the case this time around, I think they're both starting off fine, sure they've just been one upped by the PC again, but that's nothing new.

Maybe but the PS5 doesn't look like it's as capable of 4K60 as the XSX is and I think people will notice.  I am aware there are also 4K30 games coming for XSX but I expect it to be much less common.

So looks like all the info leaked when I was asleep, late to post in here.  Seems like the Series is has no disc drive and price is $299.

The Series X at $499 is what I always expected but if true that's a huge win for such a system.  These two price points put the squeeze on Sony.

As far as leaking the prices and what looks to be promo vids, It could be a real "leak" but I also think this might be MS at play.  If these leaked prices are confirmed by a few "sources" but not MS directly, yet, it could give Sony the green light to post their own prices.  Then if for some reason MS doesn't feel good with the prices they have, they can change them and just say they "never confirmed" the leaked prices to begin with.

4 minutes ago, George P said:

So looks like all the info leaked when I was asleep, late to post in here.  Seems like the Series is has no disc drive and price is $299.

The Series X at $499 is what I always expected but if true that's a huge win for such a system.  These two price points put the squeeze on Sony.

As far as leaking the prices and what looks to be promo vids, It could be a real "leak" but I also think this might be MS at play.  If these leaked prices are confirmed by a few "sources" but not MS directly, yet, it could give Sony the green light to post their own prices.  Then if for some reason MS doesn't feel good with the prices they have, they can change them and just say they "never confirmed" the leaked prices to begin with.

I'd think it'd be harder to convince retailers to sell a console with no disc drive.  Sure, they can still sell accessories and digital codes, but cutting them out of the market is awkward.