[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion

13 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I'd think it'd be harder to convince retailers to sell a console with no disc drive.  Sure, they can still sell accessories and digital codes, but cutting them out of the market is awkward.

There's been talk for some time that MS will do some type of disc to digital transfer program, which would need the help of retailers.   So, you'd take your disc game to a store like GameStop or Best Buy, trade it in for a digital code version of the same game for no cost.  The store could then hold on to that disc and sell it used, maybe?  Or get paid for the service and send the game back to the publisher.    If they do manage to do this program my bet is that the store would get a fixed fee per game and send them back to MS or their publisher.  

There's still the higher end models with discs for those who want them though, but yeah, each year digital is taking a bigger and bigger cut of the console sales market.  People are giving up their discs more and more with time, that's just where it's headed, like the PC.  

Well now this is official, but not a surprise, no way Sony is going to have the PS5 digital at $299.

Good price points and kinda what I was expecting. 

Not sure I'm a huge fan of the black vent. 

Yeah, my exact thoughts on the Black vent too @dipsylalapo

Nice pricing though, I don't see the disk less PS5 being as cheap as that but then I believe the disk less is pretty much same spec as the PS5 so it makes sense. The Series S is supposed to be something closer to the current One X right?

I think I'm going to be looking at the All Access finance plan this time around, looking at the pricing today, you can save a considerable amount of money by paying for the console/Gold and Game Pass as a single payment.

8 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Good price points and kinda what I was expecting. 

Not sure I'm a huge fan of the black vent. 

I like it, and it reminds people not to put anything on the machine.

Cause, you know, people...

• Haha 1

Just now, LostCat said:

I like it, and it reminds people not to put anything on the machine.

Cause, you know, people...

You think that will stop them? I'd imagine some people will put it face down to hide the vent, because you know, people...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Nice pricing though, I don't see the disk less PS5 being as cheap as that but then I believe the disk less is pretty much same spec as the PS5 so it makes sense. The Series S is supposed to be something closer to the current One X right?

I think I'm going to be looking at the All Access finance plan this time around, looking at the pricing today, you can save a considerable amount of money by paying for the console/Gold and Game Pass as a single payment.

Yep nailed it on the PS5 and Series S. Both PS5 versions have the same performance with the only difference is the disc. Series S and Series X have a fair difference in performance.

I was looking at that too could be a decent way to get the console. Any idea what happens to any GPU that you already have? Is it just topped up?

5 minutes ago, Skiver said:

You think that will stop them? I'd imagine some people will put it face down to hide the vent, because you know, people...

I assume there will be warning stickers.  I don't know.

I mean the X1X has some pretty prominent ones.

52 minutes ago, Skiver said:

On the GPU side the Series S and One X are pretty much the same performance wise, don't let the tflop numbers fool you, Series S is the newer RDNA2 arch so it has better performance per tf compared to the One X's older Navi based GPU.

The bigger differences is that all the rest is the same with the Series X,  You get the same newer and faster CPU, the NVMe SSD and I/O should be the same for sure.  I think the only other difference is that the GDDR6 RAM might be a little slower on the S compared to the X, but as you're not targeting 4k@60 but 1080p/1440p, that isn't much of a factor.

Basically, I think any game on the One X that can't give you a smooth 60fps will have no issue doing so on the Series S.  The rest might just come down to how much ray tracing  you get on Series X vs S.

2 minutes ago, George P said:

On the GPU side the Series S and One X are pretty much the same performance wise, don't let the tflop numbers fool you, Series S is the newer RDNA2 arch so it has better performance per tf compared to the One X's older Navi based GPU.

The bigger differences is that all the rest is the same with the Series X,  You get the same newer and faster CPU, the NVMe SSD and I/O should be the same for sure.  I think the only other difference is that the GDDR6 RAM might be a little slower on the S compared to the X, but as you're not targeting 4k@60 but 1080p/1440p, that isn't much of a factor.

Basically, I think any game on the One X that can't give you a smooth 60fps will have no issue doing so on the Series S.  The rest might just come down to how much ray tracing  you get on Series X vs S.

Is this all confirmed somewhere? I've not seen any confirmed hardware specs?

12 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Is this all confirmed somewhere? I've not seen any confirmed hardware specs?

Leaked specs but this promo vid just leaked and they say 1440p gaming, so.

60% smaller than the Series X, half the SSD though, 512GB, well,  got to drop the price to $299 somehow.

6 minutes ago, George P said:

Leaked specs but this promo vid just leaked and they say 1440p gaming, so.

60% smaller than the Series X, half the SSD though, 512GB, well,  got to drop the price to $299 somehow.

"Leaks" coming thick and fast now. 

MS have got to hold an event or something soon.

9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

"Leaks" coming thick and fast now. 

MS have got to hold an event or something soon.

I'm pretty sure they're allowing the leaks at this point, it's kind of blatant.  

Just now, LostCat said:

Given the current exchange rate, not really.

Tech has never followed the exchange rate, the norm has always been to match the numbers, so you'd expect it to be 299 pounds like it's $299 and probably €299 in the EU.  They're kind of breaking away from the norm at this point.

• Brandon H changed the title to [Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion
9 hours ago, George P said:

Well now this is official, but not a surprise, no way Sony is going to have the PS5 digital at $299.

Of course not. But the PS5 also isn't a 4TF system that only outputs 1440p.

26 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Of course not. But the PS5 also isn't a 4TF system that only outputs 1440p.

Right, but for many people price is what attracts them more than overall specs.  And lots of people don't have 4k TVs still, let alone 1440p.   This thing is very attractive to those people, $299 has always been the console sweet spot to.

2 minutes ago, George P said:

Right, but for many people price is what attracts them more than overall specs.  And lots of people don't have 4k TVs still, let alone 1440p.   This thing is very attractive to those people, $299 has always been the console sweet spot to.

heck, I don't even have 1080p TVs lol. Both the TVs in my apartment are 32" 720p and I don't feel any real need to upgrade them at the moment :D 

8 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

heck, I don't even have 1080p TVs lol. Both the TVs in my apartment are 32" 720p and I don't feel any real need to upgrade them at the moment :D 

Still game on my PC at 1080p, mostly because higher end monitors are priced too high here, for the size I want that is.  And if I did upgrade my monitor it probably would be to 1440p so I could get a higher refresh rate, like 144Hz.

5 hours ago, George P said:

For the Canadian gamers out there, how does that price sound?

Sounds decent. Considering the straight exchange rate conversion from $299.99 is $397.31 CAD... Seems on point. First time they've done it that close I think.