What was the last movie you watched? (2021 edition)

SidVicious

Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel - III. Spring Song

HoochieMamma

Watched 'Nobody' in the cinemas today. Loved it. Brought me back to the first John Wick memories.

• Like 1
Fleet Command

Double-watched Secret Garden, the original 1992, and the 2020 remake.

I like the original better; the 2020 remake is overly dramatic. Everything is so extreme.

• Like 1
+Jumping Jacinta

Watched Chaos Walking yesterday and while it had a slow start I ended up enjoying it. Well worth the watch for sci-fi fans imo.

astropheed

Before Sunrise - 8.5/10 - It's slow, and definitely not for everyone. It becomes better after watching the sequel. I personally thought it was great.

Before Sunset - 8/10 - Pretty much exactly as good as the first for the exact same reasons. The ending quote "You're going to miss that plane", "I know", is awesome.

Before Midnight - 1/10 - Pretty much ruined the first two. Don't watch it. 

Fleet Command

Watched Raya And The Last Dragon.

It had good visuals but man, it was such a nonsense. It is the only Disney film to date to employ deus ex machina as a mean of resolution. In other words, there is no plausible explanation for the sudden turn of event at the end of the film, when everything turned from abysmal to blissful. And why was the main antagonist so motivated to do every wrong thing possible?

• 3 weeks later...
techbeck

Watched Nobody. Good movie. Also watched Hudson Hawk since the little woman never seen it. 

• Like 1
George P
3 hours ago, techbeck said:

Watched Nobody. Good movie. Also watched Hudson Hawk since the little woman never seen it. 

That takes me back, Hudson Hawk, haven't seen it in forever.  I also watched Nobody, it was fine, people wanted to compare it to John Wick but I wouldn't.  It's not really close IMO.  It's a pretty good popcorn action flick though.   Who hasn't had the thought cross their mind, or imagined if they were some badass who would just go off like that if they could?  7/10 from me but it could've been better story wise.

techbeck

Watched Vanquish. OK movie... Junk plot really and the lighting was annoying. Only watched because of Morgan Freeman. 

Steven P.

Watched Stowaway last night, instantly regretted it. I did not feel for the characters and some of the science was so off that it bothered me.

Barney T.

Wonder Woman '84. Didn't like it, although I love Gal Gadot.

astropheed

Mortal Kombat 2021 - 3/10 - It started great and then just plummeted. It's like the 2nd act never ended. So disappointing.

+E.Worm Jimmy
7 minutes ago, astropheed said:

Mortal Kombat 2021 - 3/10 - It started great and then just plummeted. It's like the 2nd act never ended. So disappointing.

Ohh hell.. I am just starting to watch it. Please please be a good movie - some animations were close

Since the original Arkade I was a fan

+E.Worm Jimmy
2 hours ago, astropheed said:

7 out of 10 for me, maybe 8  if they did not miss up so much with the lore!

still, i had fun, a solid 7!!!   you must not be a fan, some stuff was 100% spot on, so i forgive that they screwed up the rest. this is as close to real life kombat as i have seen, previos movie were garbage in comparison

astropheed
1 hour ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

you must not be a fan

Yeah I keep hearing that. Except, I've played every game in the series, love almost all of them (looks at sub zero mythologies), and loved 1995 version and likely seen it 30 times by now. I don't know what a fan "is", but I'm at least not... not... one. This movie made a new character, I didn't care about. Leading characters, I don't care about (sans Kano), to a tournament, that never happens. The acting is horrible (sans Kano). The fights are all quick cut BS, that seem to show zero impact at all until the fatality. Also, Liu Kang is basically a little bitch in this version too.

It got a 3 because Kano and Sub Zero and the first 10 minutes were freaking awesome. It lost 7 points for being a terrible movie.

Glad you enjoyed it though. Wish I did.

+E.Worm Jimmy
5 hours ago, astropheed said:

e

Glad you enjoyed it though. Wish I did.

Thank you - I had fun!

George P
15 hours ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Thank you - I had fun!

That's a movie that was made for the fans more than anything else.  So if you're more of a fan then the next person I think you'll like it more then them.  I'd give it a 7 as well but I've been following the games since the original and knowing more of the lore helps.

• Thanks 1
Fleet Command
On 25/04/2021 at 13:58, Barney T. said:

Wonder Woman '84. Didn't like it, although I love Gal Gadot.

Thanks for the notice. I'm striking it off the list.

Has anyone watched First Signal yet?

Edited by Fleet Command
Nick H.
On 22/04/2021 at 09:29, George P said:

I also watched Nobody, it was fine, people wanted to compare it to John Wick but I wouldn't.  It's not really close IMO.  It's a pretty good popcorn action flick though.   Who hasn't had the thought cross their mind, or imagined if they were some badass who would just go off like that if they could?  7/10 from me but it could've been better story wise.

Hmm, for me that's good enough to give it a go.

On 25/04/2021 at 09:27, Steven P. said:

Watched Stowaway last night, instantly regretted it. I did not feel for the characters and some of the science was so off that it bothered me.

I was disappointed with this news. I had heard about it and was looking forward to a decent Sci-Fi, then it became available and the reviews seemed to dump on it. I guess I'll move on...

I watched Escape from New York again the other night. I've since gone and changed my ringtone to the theme. :laugh:

• Like 1
Fleet Command
On 25/04/2021 at 16:25, E.Worm Jimmy said:

7 out of 10 for me, maybe 8  if they did not miss up so much with the lore!

still, i had fun, a solid 7!!!   you must not be a fan, some stuff was 100% spot on, so i forgive that they screwed up the rest. this is as close to real life kombat as i have seen, previos movie were garbage in comparison

Watched Mortal Kombat just now. On the scale of 0 to 10, I give it -1.

It was gory, base, and nonsensical; well, lots of movies are like that. But this one didn't even know the one things that such movies are good at: the basics of killing. It looked like something made from a video game. Perhaps the misspelling of "Kombat" should have given me the clue.

• Sad 1
+E.Worm Jimmy
Just now, Fleet Command said:

It was gory, base, and nonsensical; well, lots of movies are like that. But this one didn't even know the one things that such movies are good at: the basics of killing. It looked like something made from a video game. Perhaps the misspelling of "Kombat" should have given me the clue.

Are you kidding me??? Of course it is something made from a video game - it is literally the point ;)

• Like 1
Fleet Command
4 minutes ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Are you kidding me??? Of course it is something made from a video game - it is literally the point ;)

Let me guess: A Japanese 1990s video game called Mortaru Kombatu?

• Haha 2
Nick H.
19 minutes ago, Fleet Command said:

13 minutes ago, Fleet Command said:

Let me guess: A Japanese 1990s video game called Mortaru Kombatu?

I honestly don't know if you're joking or not, but Mortal Kombat is an American video game series. Source.

• Haha 1
Fleet Command
1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

I honestly don't know if you're joking or not, but Mortal Kombat is an American video game series. Source.

The part about Mortaru Kombatu was 50% joke, 50% genuine concern. As such, E.Worm Jimmy's "Ha Ha" reaction was what I desired. My assessment of the film, though, was 100% serious. That Kano guy in the film reminds me of a film called Rush Hour 3, but not in a good way. And I believe everything you said; a source is not needed. In the style of Wikipedia, I say: [Citation not needed].

+warwagon

Watched MORTAL KOOOOOMBATTTTT and Nobody. If you have the choice between the two, watch Nobody... great movie!

MORTAL KOOOOOMBATTTTT - 2 out of 5 - Started off good,  the just fell of a cliff. Almost as if the first 10 mins had a different director.

Nobody - 4 out of 5 - I watched it with a smile on my face almost the entire time.

• Like 2