What was the last movie you watched? (2021 edition)

Also not a movie but finished the 4th and final season of Castlevania from netflix.  Shame there's not going to be more, I'd be down for a 5th season.

I watched Army of the Dead last night. I kinda wish I hadn't. I like Dave Bautista - I just get the feeling he's a kind, stand-up guy - and Dieter was a decent character, but at 2 hours 30 this film dragged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I watched Army of the Dead last night. I kinda wish I hadn't. I like Dave Bautista - I just get the feeling he's a kind, stand-up guy - and Dieter was a decent character, but at 2 hours 30 this film dragged.

I am glad I decided to catch up on some TV last night instead of watching this then 😛  I might have a look if I am bored.

Masters of the Universe.

How the hell they got Frank Langella as Skeletor must be some story. 

The Night Comes For US (2018), if you liked the Raid movies, this is another one of those from our good friends over in Indonesia.   

13 hours ago, Xenon said:

How the hell they got Frank Langella as Skeletor must be some story. 

If I remember correctly, there's not much of a story to it. Langella's son was a huge fan of He-man and so Langella wanted to do it for his child. I think it was the same situation for Raul Julia and Street Fighter's Bison.

13 hours ago, McCordRm said:

I rather enjoyed Army of the Dead. I thought it was fun, and I'm looking

forward to a sequel.

Eh, I mean it was ok. It was an average zombie flick. But that also means it didn't need to be as long as it was. It became too drawn out, to the point I was hoping for/anticipating each person's gory demise.

Wrath of Man.  The plot isn't anything super deep but it's got a good dose of emotion to back it up, 8/10 for this one.  

1 hour ago, George P said:

Wrath of Man.  The plot isn't anything super deep but it's got a good dose of emotion to back it up, 8/10 for this one.  

Just watched it. I've seen better Jason Statham flicks, even better gory ones like Death Race and Expendables. I'd give it 4/10.

17 minutes ago, Fleet Command said:

Just watched it. I've seen better Jason Statham flicks, even better gory ones like Death Race and Expendables. I'd give it 4/10.

Wait, are you saying that you thought Expendables was better than Wrath of Man? Or are you just saying that Expendables was bloodier? I haven't watched Wrath of Man yet, but it's got to be better than Expendables!

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

Wait, are you saying that you thought Expendables was better than Wrath of Man? Or are you just saying that Expendables was bloodier? I haven't watched Wrath of Man yet, but it's got to be better than Expendables!

Expendables was very bloody, Wrath of Man was repulsively bloody. In Expendables, you see a high body count. In Wrath of Man, you see a dead, naked rapist, killed in front of underage prostitutes; there are red, gooey, splattered bits near the dead man that I don't want to think about. There are a few other scenes like this. Act 4 of Wrath of Man is called "Lungs, Liver, Heart, and Spleen". This name is aptly chosen. I say no more.

Expendables was much better, I think. Its characters had a very FUBAR sense of morality. But at least they had it. And I enjoyed the scene in which Buddha dumps jet fuel and Pest sets it on fire! Characters of the Wrath of Man were "Bad Animals, Bad!"

Your time would be better spent watching Cruella instead.

Edited by Fleet Command

Chaos Walking - IMDB

meh...  I thought the performances by Daisy and Tom were fine.  The concept of the film (I never read the book) is interesting yet they failed to run with it.  

Overall - 2/5 - a sci-fi yawn

Last week I watched Going Clear after seeing a clip of Leah Remini with Joe Rogan. I knew it was a screwed up cult, but I didn't know about the children or the whole fight with the IRS. That was eye-opening.

Last night I watched The Outpost. It was a decent film, and you really got a sense of dread from the moment you saw the outpost's location in the daylight. It's insane to think that it took this event for the US to decide they were no longer going to have indefensible outposts.

Cruella DeVil, Cruella DeVill

She's born to be bad

So, run for the hills!

Cruella DeVil, Cruella DeVill

The fear on your face

Gives me a thrill!

It's stuck into my head. Can't get rid of it. It's not annoying though.

• 3 weeks later...

I started watching America: The Motion Picture. I don't think I was in the mood for the level of humour because I switched it off after the chainsaws came out (about 15 minutes in). There was a cool/amusing bit where a white eagle gets blackened in to the bald eagle, and there have been some entertaining plays (no pun intended) with historical references, but so far in the watching it's been "bro humour."

The Tomorrow War, nothing great, average scifi popcorn flick.  At best a 6/10 IMO.

7 hours ago, George P said:

The Tomorrow War, nothing great, average scifi popcorn flick.  At best a 6/10 IMO.

7 hours ago, NinjaGinger said:

Agree. It was fun.

It was ABSOLUTELY FUN  - just what i expected from a movie like that.   its a good sci-fi popcorn flick for sure.   as those go, it is at least a 7 for me, maybe 8 just because i like those sometimes.

2 hours ago, Fleet Command said:

I watched Luca. It was splendid. After all, it was Pixar, baby!

Luca, Raya, And Micheals vs Machines  are all great cartoons, enjoyed them all with family.

Late to the game but the Snyder cut of Justice League.

Substantially better than the original, would rate it a B- overall. Had it been the original, I think it would have left the door open to the franchise.

Spoiler

Still made no sense that Superman had a black suit at the end though, other than looking cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Luca, Raya, And Micheals vs Machines  are all great cartoons, enjoyed them all with family.

I'm not sure I wanna put Luca and Raya in the same category. Raya confuses me.

It seemed to me that Raya had two different directors: One who directed most of it and one who directed the end. At some point, the brass in Disney caught the first director and told him, "Dude why have you made a horror movie?" And then they changed the director to slap a good ending to it.

• Haha 1

On 01/07/2021 at 05:29, Jim K said:

The Ice Road (Netflix) - IMDB

Awful ... just awful.  

It was bad SO BAD! So bad that I termed a new phrase "Netflix Level CGI" Boggles my mind how it still has above a 4.9 on IMDB. I gave it a rating of 1.5 out of 5.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

Late to the game but the Snyder cut of Justice League.

Substantially better than the original, would rate it a B- overall. Had it been the original, I think it would have left the door open to the franchise.

Hide contents

Still made no sense that Superman had a black suit at the end though, other than looking cool.

Spoiler

The black suit is canon to the comics story, he's got it on when he comes back from the "dead" as it helps absorb solar radiation faster.    So, sure it looks cool but that's not the only reason it's there.